Best websites for foreign long term rentals

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Swampy

Best websites for foreign long term rentals

Post by Swampy »

We're headed to Europe this summer and have already made arrangements for short term condo and apartment rentals as we explore an area and move on to the next. We did this a few years ago and found a number of websites dedicated to short term vacation rentals up to 1-2 weeks.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for websites or other resources that offer longer term vacation rentals at (hopefully) a more reasonable price than the short term rentals.

If we like Europe as much as we did last time, we might try visiting next year for 3-6 months in one location and really develop a sense for life in the area.

As such, hotels, hostels and the like are out of the question.

I'm hoping there might be some Bogleheads (probably teachers or retired military) who took summers off or extended leaves and explored Europe.

I'm open to explore anywhere in Europe, including the British Isles, Mediterranean islands and former Iron Curtain nations (well, maybe NOT Crimea).

PS We've done Paris, Rome, London and, while we enjoyed the big cities, would like to be more on the outskirts of a city or even be in the countryside as I assume prices would be more favorable.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
curmudgeon

Re: Best websites for foreign long term rentals

Post by curmudgeon »

I'll be interested in seeing responses, as this is something we have been considering doing as well in the next few years. I don't have specific websites to share, but I'll offer a few thoughts:

1) I suspect you may find that many of the tourist rentals that are somewhat expensive by the week might be open to substantially discounted rates for monthly rentals in off-peak seasons.

2) You have to pay attention to visa limitations in various countries. In particular, the Schengen area (much of the EU) has limit of 90 days stay out of any 180 day period for US visitors without needing a special visa.

3) I haven't dealt with getting an extended-stay visa, but I think it takes more than just an application; you need something to support it. A university extension program might provide the opportunity for visa sponsorship, maybe some structured language learning, and might well have some assistance in sorting through housing options.
NOLA

Post by NOLA »

Yes, might not be easy To fmd an a,azimg low price. If a deal is too good to be true, it usually is. I would probably start by trying HomeAway since its used in so many countries. Find a few places that are willing to do long term rentals and start negotiating. Good luck and have fun.
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

You might consider joining the Evergreen club as a low cost alternative. I believe there are members worldwide.

https://www.evergreenclub.com/about

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Swampy wrote:I'm open to explore anywhere in Europe, including the British Isles, Mediterranean islands and former Iron Curtain nations (well, maybe NOT Crimea).
Crimea is wonderful, and right now they have bargains because the Ukrainians can't visit it. When I was in college, as a part of the work-study program, I spent three months in Yalta working for an HVAC and Plumbing contractor. I saw some facets (and faucets) of Crimea that visitors miss, and so it's a special place for me.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt, Prime Minister Winston Churchill and Premier Joseph Stalin held there The Yalta Conference in 1945. During the Soviet time, and probably still, Crimea was full of government dachas rivaling Yanukovich's house. It's a jewel of a place, and I would not dismiss it as a travel destination.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
FireProof

Post by FireProof »

I'd just use the normal local rental sites e.g. Idealista, SeLoger etc. - if it's as long as 6 months you can probably get away with a normal rental (though that might require being a bit coy with your plans). At worst, you can pay a bit more, or pay more in advance, whatever, but it will still be much better than a site designed specifically to prey on ignorant tourists.
Diogenes

Post by Diogenes »

Swampy wrote:We're headed to Europe this summer and have already made arrangements for short term condo and apartment rentals as we explore an area and move on to the next. We did this a few years ago and found a number of websites dedicated to short term vacation rentals up to 1-2 weeks.

What I'm looking for are suggestions for websites or other resources that offer longer term vacation rentals at (hopefully) a more reasonable price than the short term rentals.

If we like Europe as much as we did last time, we might try visiting next year for 3-6 months in one location and really develop a sense for life in the area.

As such, hotels, hostels and the like are out of the question.

We have done three one month rentals this year, Thailand, France and next month Germany. Have had luck with VRBO, finding a place and negotiating directly with the owner who are usually happy to discount longterm stays. I also identify local popular sites that specialize in a particular city or region for comparison shopping. Just be careful as there are some that are scams (especially in Asia and Eastern Europe). Never wire money directly, or make full payment before you inspect the property.
If you are hoping to do 3-6 months in Europe as a U.S. passport holder make sure you look at the Schengen visa limits, as was mentioned. Many Americans are clueless about that and think they can just exit and reenter like is done in some Asian countries. That will not work in Europe.

_D_
Truth and clarity are important in all things...
LH

Post by LH »

vrbo.com
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

While you didn't say you wanted to return to Paris, and your stay is longer-term that I'll mention here, I've personally had great luck with very reasonably priced apartment rentals in Paris through VacationInParis.com (VIP). Think the minimum stay may be three days. We stayed for a week in the 5th Arrondisement. It cost less per night than even a 1 or 2 star hotel, we had our own kitchen (greatly lowered costs by allowing us to cook some meals ourselves, purchasing fresh ingredients), and was great to feel more like a Temporary Local. When last I checked, "VIP" properties were all owned by U.S. citizens and catered to U.S. citizens.

Great option for knocking down lodging costs in an expensive city like Paris--without having to use a budget hotel or (gasp!) hostel. My hosteling days are long behind me. Not knocking hostels--they've served me well in my 20's and 30's. But now I'd rather save a little more, travel a little less, and have better lodging. With a bad lower back, I need a good bed. I enjoy my privacy. And am a light sleeper. Private rooms in hostels can be an interesting option. And I've seen elderly people using hostels all around Ireland and elsewhere. However, I don't like the noisy Party Crowd hostels often attract. Not even when I was in my 20's--not at all a teetoller. But I avoid those types of environments like Dracula avoids garlic. Preferring quiet, relaxation, and tranquility. But hostels can be great places to meet others from all over the world and engage more deeply in the local environment. But then a long-term apartment rental has that trumped if your goal is to immerse yourself in a local culture.

The other tip is that, often, owners name and number their properties. Which means you can then go to sites like TripAdvisor and read detailed reviews for specific rental properties you find on VRBO.com, Venere.com, and others.

Hope this helps others whose definition of long-term is somewhere in the neighborhood of three nights to a month. Although I'm intrigued by long-term stays. I could live in Bali for quite some time on very little money with a long-term bungalow rental. Chang Mai Thailand is a place I've not been that seems affordable, pleasant, and quite popular among American ex-pats / Perpetual Travelers. Inexpensive lodging, cheap restaurant food (with access to varieties, including NY-style brick oven pizza, etc).
tidalwave10

Post by tidalwave10 »

Would love to hear about about peoples' strategies and tactics for long term rentals abroad. And which parts of which countries you've been successful in doing this. Formally, I believe the practice is sometimes known as Geographic Arbitrage--if you're summering in a place significantly less expensive than what your primary residence costs and can rent out your home in your absence. Similarly with inefficiencies in living expenses...