Updating Windows 8 to 8.1

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
protagonist

Updating Windows 8 to 8.1

Post by protagonist »

I have a Windows 8 computer that is about 9 months old. Apparently Windows 8.1 is a free update.

I never use "metro" mode when I can help it....I prefer the familiar desktop.

I have heard that 8.1 is a definite improvement over 8.

Do you think the update is a good idea? And are their risks involved?

Thanks.
wilpat

Re: Updating Windows 8 to 8.1

Post by wilpat »

Yes! for sure get 8.1.

I also use classic shell which is free and really makes Windows 8 (8.1) easier to use.

http://www.classicshell.net/
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

I have windows 8.1 on my laptop and windows 8 on my desktop. I actually much prefer windows 8. They broke the search tool in 8.1, and it pisses me off.
Systems Engineer
jchef

Post by jchef »

Upgrading to 8.1 is mandatory if you want long term support. Support for Windows 8 will end in January 2016 if you don't upgrade to 8.1.

Microsoft is treating 8.1 with the same rules as they use for a service pack. You have a bit more than 2 years to apply the update or you lose support.

http://support.microsoft.com/gp/lifecycle-Windows81-faq
lmpmd

Post by lmpmd »

Window 8.1 is just great. Go ahead and upgrade. Read through this page and the comments. Does this help at all with the Search function?
http://www.pcworld.com/article/2066020/ ... s-8-1.html
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

8.1 allows the desktop boot without the need for an external "shell". There is no downside in my opinion, and my search tools are fine.

I see little difference between 8.1 and 7 from a practical sense, once you avoid the stupid "metro" mode.
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

OK, I will get it. Thanks for the input, all.....
Topic Author
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Followup:

I upgraded my Lenovo Yoga 13 from 8 to 8.1 and it is awful.

The main advantage: the start button. Nice, but big deal.

The problem: Whenever I load any security software on my computer, it slows to a snail's pace, esp. the internet. And it is buggy. I deleted Avast and Malwarebytes, tried Bitdefender, and even with only Windows Defender on my computer it is painfully slow, esp. the internet.

I spent 3 hours with a Lenovo tech on the phone installing new drivers, etc.....no luck.

From what I have read, Windows 8.1 does not let you use a restore program or recovery disc from prior backups done with Windows 8..

My next recourse will likely be to back up my files, restore my computer to factory settings with Windows 8, then strip off all the garbage I stripped off initially, and start again from scratch. That will probably be the better part of a day's work, at least.

Unless somebody here has a better idea. I'm running out of ideas.
tamudude

Post by tamudude »

protagonist wrote:Followup:

I upgraded my Lenovo Yoga 13 from 8 to 8.1 and it is awful.

The main advantage: the start button. Nice, but big deal.

The problem: Whenever I load any security software on my computer, it slows to a snail's pace, esp. the internet. And it is buggy. I deleted Avast and Malwarebytes, tried Bitdefender, and even with only Windows Defender on my computer it is painfully slow, esp. the internet.

I spent 3 hours with a Lenovo tech on the phone installing new drivers, etc.....no luck.

From what I have read, Windows 8.1 does not let you use a restore program or recovery disc from prior backups done with Windows 8..

My next recourse will likely be to back up my files, restore my computer to factory settings with Windows 8, then strip off all the garbage I stripped off initially, and start again from scratch. That will probably be the better part of a day's work, at least.

Unless somebody here has a better idea. I'm running out of ideas.
Forget about other security software for a while. Windows Defender is adequate while you are troubleshooting. I think you can disable it to see if that speeds up performance?

See if there are additional windows updates. Sometimes driver updates are pushed through Windows update and they might help.
You can also try a refresh per this http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... h-reset-pc
One other thought: Does the BIOS/EFI have troubleshooting tools for diagnosing hardware (hard disk, memory etc) ?
Last edited by tamudude on Thu Apr 10, 2014 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ahmadcpa

Post by ahmadcpa »

I would avoid updating until all the bugs are sorted out. I made a mistake in updating one of the laptop and the touchpad (mouse) on the laptop is super lagging. Apparently it's a common issue with 8.1. I would wait few months before I do the upgrade.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

My new Acer has different drivers for 8.1 than 8, so check your drivers. Yesterday MS issued a huge update for 8.1 and you might want to load that.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
ayitey

Post by ayitey »

I would certainly recommend updating from 8 to 8.1, because 8.1 itself is getting a free update that fixes many of the issues that people complained about the most.

And it automatically boots to the familiar desktop mode, if you are using it on a computer with a mouse.

This 7-minute video demonstrates the new features in 8.1. It was made by a person who is employed by Microsoft, but is not involved in the Windows team; instead, he is a Windows user who happens to work at Microsoft (and also happens to be pretty good at creating video tutorials).

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/VideoTuto ... date1.aspx
Novine

Post by Novine »

I ran into problems with wireless network drivers on a Dell laptop after upgrading to 8.1. It works fine with some wireless access points, not well with others. I've tried all the various drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 without resolving the problem. I wonder if the OP is encountering a similar problem.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I went with a new computer with Win8 what seems to be about a year ago. I installed Start8 immediately which boots direct to the desktop just like Win 7 and XP did, and restores the lower left corner start menu with all its features. Everything works great and very fast including internet.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

Novine wrote:I ran into problems with wireless network drivers on a Dell laptop after upgrading to 8.1. It works fine with some wireless access points, not well with others. I've tried all the various drivers for Windows 8 and 8.1 without resolving the problem. I wonder if the OP is encountering a similar problem.
You should have seen the posts on Dell's message board when the upgrade for 8.1 first came out.
Lots of unhappy people.

You might want to ask your question there at the Dell forums http://en.community.dell.com/.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
tj

Post by tj »

obgraham wrote:8.1 allows the desktop boot without the need for an external "shell". There is no downside in my opinion, and my search tools are fine.

I see little difference between 8.1 and 7 from a practical sense, once you avoid the stupid "metro" mode.

How do i do this? I hate that Microsoft Office and other applications take me out of desktop mode.