Cheap good kindle books?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
am

Cheap good kindle books?

Post by am »

Need some reading material. Can anyone recommend some books for kindle, finance or not for say less than 5 dollars that they enjoyed?
BL

Re: Cheap good kindle books?

Post by BL »

Last edited by BL on Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Subscribe to the Kindle Daily Deal. Great books for $2-3, one-day specials. I buy a handful every month. I also check the monthly deals.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bberris

Post by bberris »

How about free? Your library probably has a deal with overdrive to provide lendable (expiring in 3 weeks) ebooks.
Also:

www.gutenberg.org for books off copyright in US

u of adelaide has even more books available for free, and they don't seem to overlap with gutenberg
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I get Kindle books from:
1. Bargain Booksy
2. eBookDaily Kindle Freebies
3. BookBub
4. Riffle
5. Bookish
6. Amazon.com

I do about 30 books a month. (I am retired with lots of reading time) :D
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
MrManlyMister

Post by MrManlyMister »

Remember, you can get PDFs converted to Kindle format (AZW) for free. (Submit to Amazon with CONVERT in the Subject)

Here's a free PDF worth reading: http://rickferri.com/books-by-rick-ferr ... aight-talk
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

I can't say all of these free books are good but some of the free ones I've "bought" have been:
http://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Kind ... =UTF8&tf=1
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I use the library.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
am

Post by am »

Thanks. Does anyone have a specific recommendation like Bernstein with the Morganstern book?
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

The Kindle daily, monthly and Goldbox deals are very good if you are patient. And they have a good mix on their deals site of established authors, #1 bestsellers, and newer writers selling for as low as $0.99.

William Bernstein has at least three Kindle books selling for less than $5 - check out Deep Risk and Skating Where the Puck Was.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

am wrote:Thanks. Does anyone have a specific recommendation like Bernstein with the Morganstern book?
Well, the problem is that they are time-limited, but at the moment I see that Kahneman's Thinking, Fast and Slow is still $2.99.

Hawaii, by James Michener, is currently $0.99.

Between the Kindle Daily Deal and Bookbub, I'm buying $1.99 books faster than I will ever read them.

Worst of all, once a month or so Amazon will come up with special deal that has dozens and dozens and dozens of cheap books and I sort of feel obligated to glance through them...

The other biggy, of course, is that most or all of the Project Gutenberg titles can be obtained at no cost, right through the Amazon Kindle eBook store just like any other book. For complex reasons they don't credit them to PG, but all the books that say "converted by a community of volunteers" seem so be PG texts. Go into the "store" and change "sort by relevance" to "sort by price low to high" to find them. Then there are a lot of books, often priced at $0.99, that are typically public domain works that someone has spiffed up and/or collected.

A few personal favorites:

--The Way of All Flesh, by Samuel Butler
--The Card: A Story of Adventure in the Five Towns, by Arnold Bennett.
--Riceyman Steps, by Arnold Bennett, which for some reason is 0.99. This is my favorite Arnold Bennett, at least of those I've read.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.