Tipping for a haircut at Great Clips

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DireWolf

Tipping for a haircut at Great Clips

Post by DireWolf »

I've been going to Great Clips to get my hair cut. So far I am happy with the service and their costs are reasonable - $14 for a standard cut. Any thoughts on what a fair tip would be?
Draak

Re: Tip at Great Clips

Post by Draak »

delete
Last edited by Draak on Sun Mar 16, 2014 2:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
FrugalInvestor

Re: Tipping for a haircut at Great Clips

Post by FrugalInvestor »

$3, tipically. :D
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
leonidas

Post by leonidas »

I like to tip about 20% for personal services and usually round up to the nearest dollar. So 3 bucks sounds right to me.
mhc

Post by mhc »

happy - 20%
really happy - 30-40%
Christmas - 100%

I find that I get better service when I tip well. I get a haircut every 2-3 weeks, so they know me and know I tip well.
52% TSM, 23% TISM, 24.5% TBM, 0.5% cash
tj

Post by tj »

I always tip $2 for a haircut, unless I used a coupon in which case I might throw an extra buck or two on there.
John Z

Post by John Z »

I wait for 7-8 weeks for a haircut and get it cut short each time so since there is more work I usually give $4 or $5.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (tipping).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I tip $5.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
WolfpackFan

Post by WolfpackFan »

My mother cuts my hair and she doesn't get a dime.
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

I'd tip $3 on a $14 haircut.
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

I'm standard with the three dollars.
ab80

Post by ab80 »

Haircut every 2 or 3 weeks? Why not every day?
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

I think tipping your hair dresser is an appropriate behavior for gentlemen. I use Great Clips and know that these folks work hard for a honest living and I enjoy tipping them.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Ged

Post by Ged »

rustymutt wrote:I think tipping your hair dresser is an appropriate behavior for gentlemen. I use Great Clips and know that these folks work hard for a honest living and I enjoy tipping them.
I agree. Last week when I went they were having a $7.99 sale. I tipped $2. Next time I go though I think I'll tip $3. These people are obviously not well paid.
ab80

Post by ab80 »

What about other people who work hard for an honest living and make little money, like cashiers or (some) teachers? Should you tip them?
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

I leave GreatClips $20 poorer no matter what.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

WolfpackFan wrote:My mother cuts my hair and she doesn't get a dime.
I cut my own, and I don't leave a tip either.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

I tip $4 on an $18 male haircut.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
avenger

Post by avenger »

I don't get a haircut at Great Clips. Haircut for $22, tip $10
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

I tip $2 on an $8 haircut. I think if I got a $14 haircut I would tip $3.
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

sscritic wrote:I cut my own, and I don't leave a tip either.
Same here. What tipped me to start doing this was an experience at Great Clips. After waiting forever, it was finally my turn. The person with the sharp tools barked at me "What's your number?". I was stunned. Did I need a number to mark my turn in addition to giving my name at the desk? I had no idea. I finally asked if she needed my phone number, being rather afraid that she would. I was curtly told that there is a "number" on the electric clipper attachment to set the depth. Is that something people are supposed know? I just said that I came in to decrease the length of my hair and asked if she could accomplish that.

After that experience, I bought an electric clipper. There is no "number" other than a depth such as 3/8, 1/2, etc. In inches no less. How arcane. I now get my haircut from the friendly guy in the mirror, open 24/7, no waiting, and no tipping.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
avenger

Post by avenger »

Sometimes (more often in the service industry) you get what you pay for!
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I need to learn how to cut my own hair. How do you guys do your back? The only time I tried it (with a scissors, admittedly) it did not go well. Actually, for that matter, cutting the front ended up looking weird too. I couldn't get the different portions to "line up" - it made for an interesting two weeks until everything grew out a little more, although most people were too polite to say anything :)

I tip 15% - 20%.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

I tip $5 for a 15-18$ haircut, I forget the exact amount. They do an imperative job for me that I don't know how to do myself. I've thought about going to a nicer place that will do a better job, but I'm a
Bit too cheap to drop 50 each time
dgdevil

Post by dgdevil »

Me too, but I used to go to an old-school barber who reminded me of my grandfather. I would show up early so that I could read their impressive library of, er, "entertainment for men," so I felt that a tip of $3 or $4 on the $10 base was fair for all the services provided.
Altephor

Post by Altephor »

NAVigator wrote:
Same here. What tipped me to start doing this was an experience at Great Clips. After waiting forever, it was finally my turn. The person with the sharp tools barked at me "What's your number?". I was stunned. Did I need a number to mark my turn in addition to giving my name at the desk? I had no idea. I finally asked if she needed my phone number, being rather afraid that she would. I was curtly told that there is a "number" on the electric clipper attachment to set the depth. Is that something people are supposed know? I just said that I came in to decrease the length of my hair and asked if she could accomplish that.

After that experience, I bought an electric clipper. There is no "number" other than a depth such as 3/8, 1/2, etc. In inches no less. How arcane. I now get my haircut from the friendly guy in the mirror, open 24/7, no waiting, and no tipping.

Jerry
Numbers on most barber quality hair clippers equate to numbers in inches. A '1' is 1/8 inch, a '2' is 1/4 inch, '3' is 3/8 inch, etc etc. Most men with short hair know what number clipper they usually get. The sides of my head, I use a 1 or 2, usually. If you don't know what number, just tell them how short you want it and ask what number that would be. Seems like you were awfully rude ("if she could accomplish that") and patronizing for such a simple concept, that most men find routine.
leo383

Post by leo383 »

HueyLD wrote:I think 20% (rounded up to the nearest dollar) is reasonable for satisfactory service. However, if one uses coupons, the tip should be based on the regular price.
Definitely tip based on the regular price, before taxes.

Years ago I was a waiter at a (pretty nice) restaurant that celebrated its 50th anniversary by serving for one night the exact same menu from the first night they were open. Same prices and everything. You wouldn't believe the number of idiots who tipped based on the old prices.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I'm in the $3 camp, as long as they do a decent job.

If you utilize the same person most/every time because you like their work, most likely a higher tip is in order.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Altephor wrote:
NAVigator wrote:

Jerry
Numbers on most barber quality hair clippers equate to numbers in inches. A '1' is 1/8 inch, a '2' is 1/4 inch, '3' is 3/8 inch, etc etc. Most men with short hair know what number clipper they usually get. The sides of my head, I use a 1 or 2, usually. If you don't know what number, just tell them how short you want it and ask what number that would be. Seems like you were awfully rude ("if she could accomplish that") and patronizing for such a simple concept, that most men find routine.
That's right I don't know the number either but I do know my depth.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Go to an owner operated barber shop.$10 haircut + $2 Tip.Pay cash, so probably goes directly into his back pocket.
All the Best, | Joe
logical_thinking

Post by logical_thinking »

My work has a barbershop I've been going to for years. Its $10 for a haircut and I always just give her $20 ($10 for haircut $10 tip). Its cheap and she gives a great cut, My wife can tell when I've had to go to someone else when shes on vacation cause it looks bad. :happy
leonard

Post by leonard »

My Oster 76 clippers never ask for anything.

Outliner blade is the shortest blade - almost bald - and gives a cut that will last a couple weeks until needing another.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
MoneyMythsSolved

Post by MoneyMythsSolved »

kerplunk wrote:I leave GreatClips $20 poorer no matter what.
+1 - given how much I budget in Mint each month for various things like this, I know exactly what I'll spend before going into a place. This usually translates into a $14 haircut + $6 tip. However, sometimes I've noticed they only bill me $11 (maybe because I'm balding, I'm less work, and they take pity on me?), but I still pay $20 total.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Ged wrote:
rustymutt wrote:I think tipping your hair dresser is an appropriate behavior for gentlemen. I use Great Clips and know that these folks work hard for a honest living and I enjoy tipping them.
I agree. Last week when I went they were having a $7.99 sale. I tipped $2. Next time I go though I think I'll tip $3. These people are obviously not well paid.

I love those hair cut specials! I do increase my tip when I'm saving. As to the others who work hard, if they work for me I tip them. I enjoy rewarding quality hard work.
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
blurryvision

Post by blurryvision »

Me and my wife started cutting our own hair 1 year ago. Picked up electric clippers and some barber shears on Amazon for ~$20. We watched a bunch of youtube videos, and just figured out how to do it ourselves. Now I get my haircut weekly; it takes 25 minutes for the cut and cleanup. We save on the price of a haircut, the time spent waiting at the barber, and gas spent driving. No regrets. :moneybag

Seriously, it's worth trying.
lws6772

Post by lws6772 »

leonard wrote:My Oster 76 clippers never ask for anything.

Outliner blade is the shortest blade - almost bald - and gives a cut that will last a couple weeks until needing another.
So does that mean you cut it with no blade guard? I cut(with cheap Wahl clippers) my hair and beard with no blade guard. I guess that would be about a boot camp buzz. By the way, 34 years ago today was the last time I paid for a haircut, was getting married the next day, still got her too. :happy
leonard

Post by leonard »

lws6772 wrote:
leonard wrote:My Oster 76 clippers never ask for anything.

So does that mean you cut it with no blade guard? I cut(with cheap Wahl clippers) my hair and beard with no blade guard. I guess that would be about a boot camp buzz. By the way, 34 years ago today was the last time I paid for a haircut, was getting married the next day, still got her too. :happy
No - I use the "Outliner" blade guard, it's the shortest guard you can get. Something like "00000" blade number. I don't believe it's made by Oster but it fits the Oster.

I had Wahl clippers before - but the plastic blade guards just didn't get close enough, flexed a bit, allowing the clippers to pull sometimes. If you are doing a somewhat longer guard, they work fine.

I am going on about 12 or 13 years since paying for my last hair cut.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

Caduceus wrote:I need to learn how to cut my own hair. How do you guys do your back? The only time I tried it (with a scissors, admittedly) it did not go well. .
Two mirrors and clippers are the way to do the back. My winter cut is the sides/back at 2/8ths of an inch then the top at a full inch, while in the summer they are at 1/8th and 7/8ths, respectively. To get things to line up at the long/short transition in the back, I position the clipper in the 1-reflection mirror and then move it backwards while watching the 2-reflection mirror.
Groundhog

Post by Groundhog »

I tip $3 @ GC.
rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 »

This is going to be an un-Boglehead response, but I see one of the top stylists in my area to get a haircut. I get a cut every 4-5 weeks, pay $35 and tip $5. I also have a great relationship with her and don't feel that I need to tip more. In fact, she tries to give me the tip back every time I go and I've been seeing her every 5 weeks for 2 years now.

I firmly believe that the haircut and the suit make the man. I wear one of those every day, so I don't skimp. :)
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

I always go to Great Clips for my haircuts and I always tip $2. But I NEVER pay full $14 price. I always use coupon that takes the price down to at least $8.99, and sometimes $6.99. If I don't find Great Clips own coupon in MoneyMailer and such during the month (frequently for $6.99-$8.99), I use competitor coupon, which are also accepted (usually $5 off, which take the price to $8.99), as long as they are not expired. In those very rare cases when I did not get any of the GC or competitor's coupons during the month, I go to http://www.moneymailer.com/ and print one out. In fact, hair-cut coupons are the ONLY coupons I've been using consistently in my life. And I tip $2 regardless of what I pay after coupon, so usually a haircut costs me $9-11 total.
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

rbrown599 wrote: I firmly believe that the haircut and the suit make the man. I wear one of those every day, so I don't skimp. :)
+1 without a doubt, especially if you are in a client-facing role. I get a cut every 2-3 weeks depending on road schedule and meetings. Going cheap on your appearance in these types of jobs either loses you the job or loses you the business. that's the way the world works. now if you're an engi-nerd in a cube.. then I guess who cares 8-)

oh and for the OP... I was paying $20 for my haircut, $5 tip... then negotiated just a flat $20 as long as I go every 2-3 weeks. I save some bucks, she gets higher return volume from me..
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM »

If you walk out of great clips and your hair doesn't look like it's been cut by a weed whacker I would definitely tip $3. I used to go there because it was cheap but my wife shamed me into going elsewhere due to the frequently horrific outcome. I now go to a woman at a fantastic sams. She does a great job consistently, it's $20 and I give her a $5 as a tip. It's worth the extra money.
I’d trade it all for a little more | -C Montgomery Burns
poker27

Post by poker27 »

rbrown599 wrote:.

I firmly believe that the haircut and the suit make the man. I wear one of those every day, so I don't skimp. :)
I certainly dont disagree. But this can be said for just about everything. Watch, shoes, ect. But a clean haircut and good fitting suit is definetly a good step
rbrown599

Post by rbrown599 »

poker27 wrote:
rbrown599 wrote:.

I certainly dont disagree. But this can be said for just about everything. Watch, shoes, ect. But a clean haircut and good fitting suit is definetly a good step

The money I save by wet shaving, instead of buying those overpriced plastic "chic" 10-blade razors, makes up for the money I spend on my haircuts. I'll add a good shave to my list hah.
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

DireWolf wrote:I've been going to Great Clips to get my hair cut. So far I am happy with the service and their costs are reasonable - $14 for a standard cut. Any thoughts on what a fair tip would be?
I go to a beauty school.Students get the experience and I get a $5 haircut Also tip $5

John
rj49

Post by rj49 »

Great Clips sells $10 haircut pre-paid cards every December, so for this year I put on enough for a year of haircuts. That way I don't have to bother with coupons, and it makes a $2 tip seem reasonable.
zebrafish

Post by zebrafish »

I drop a 20 for haircut w/o shampoo.

C'mon people! These people are working hard for their money. Spare a couple bucks, already.