What video games are you currently playing?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
kenyan

What video games are you currently playing?

Post by kenyan »

Ok, we have long threads on TV show and book recommendations, but nothing on video games. Perhaps this forum does run a bit older than the primary video game crowd, but I have to believe that there are other Bogleheads out there who prefer to spend a good chunk of their 'vegging' time in front of a PC or game console rather than watching the latest reality show. Gaming can easily be a very Boglehead-friendly activity, after all - just compare the price of cable/satellite TV to a Steam Sale or Humble Bundle. Maybe this thread won't get any interest, but I thought I'd try. My first inkling is to keep this discussion to PCs and game consoles rather than smartphones/tablets, but I suppose I won't throw a fit if someone wants to talk about Angry Birds 14.

Currently playing
The Swapper (PC) - 2D indie platformer/puzzle game with interesting cloning mechanics and a bit of a disturbing side
Guacamelee! (PC) - 'Metroidvania' style game steeped in lucha libre humor
Diablo 3 (PC) - loaded it back up after the latest patch; most previously gathered loot is basically irrelevant now, and the Auction House is being ditched

Looking forward to

Dark Souls II (X360) - Preordered for the release next week but won't get to play much until April due to work schedule. Anticipate a lot of long hours with this game, many of which might involve banging my head against a wall.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: What video games are you currently playing?

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Bogleheads.org - it's packed with fun-filled adventure with the potential for surprises along the way including the dreaded "Lock". :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

Only game I'm playing is Clash of Clans on my phone...

But i been itching to boot up my old RTS games like StarCraft...
Onyxmeth

Post by Onyxmeth »

I don't get the chance to play much, but when I do it's usually whatever is for free on PS Plus on my Playstation 3. I'm playing Brothers right now. I finished Hotline Miami before that. Great game. I buy most of the Humble Indie Bundles but often don't get around to most of them.
Clark & Addison

Post by Clark & Addison »

I've been playing Super Mario Bros. with my 5 year old on the Wii lately. I've never really been into video games, but my kids have a few and I play with them.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

Threes and Beat Sneak Bandit for ipad/iphone. Excellent puzzle games that require some thought.

The last real game I recently played was the latest 3DS Legend of Zelda. Good game, but a bit too easy.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Command and Conquer Generals Zero Hour.

It's the only game I play. I've probably played 1000 games over the last 5 years.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Phatphoeater

Post by Phatphoeater »

League of Legends. A true boglehead game, free to play. I've played thousands of hours and have spend exactly zero cents. Other recent games have been BF4 and Diablo3.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Preface to my post - I LOVE videogames. I grew up with them, and in suburbia with parents who didn't otherwise pay much attention to me, they were my surrogate parents growing up. (I turned out fine, apparently, despite playing games nonstop for years.)

I still enjoy my X360, although I rarely have time to play it enough to do it justice. (Recently finished Mass Effect 3 though - incredible production!)

My favorite game still of all-time - CHESS. You can play it analog, you can play it online, and you can always improve, and it's satisfying to spend hours studying complex positions, unlike the weird hollowed-out empty feeling you get when you play a mindless video game for too long. It's too bad the learning curve is so steep and the level of commitment required for competitive play so high, but I love it.
HornedToad

Post by HornedToad »

Might and Magic X Legacy.

It's surprisingly good as a new old-school role playing game.
chaz

Post by chaz »

Bogleheads.org and solitaire.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
BogLearner

Post by BogLearner »

Other Boglehead gamers? Who knew!

Currently I'm playing Splinter Cell: Blacklist (PC) and Pokémon X (3DS). I'm really looking forward to Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zeroes (PS4) later this month!
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

I have Red Alert 2 loaded and running on two Windows 7 machines. Took a few tricks to get them talking because the IPX networking software isn't used any more.

It's fun kicking it old school with my 7 year old.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

chaz wrote:Bogleheads.org and solitaire.
On your iPad, we know. :happy
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

My son and I pack watermelons with tannerite explosive and shoot them with a .308 bolt action rifle. It's a riot. :D
Topic Author
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Phatphoeater wrote:League of Legends. A true boglehead game, free to play. I've played thousands of hours and have spend exactly zero cents. Other recent games have been BF4 and Diablo3.
I didn't mention it, but I do play this as well. I often stick to the Computer opponents, as it's mindless, easy, and avoids the extreme verbal abuse that is endemic to this genre of game. From time to time, I do fire up a real multiplayer game, though.

The other long-term game I occasionally break out is Rock Band 3 (X360). I plug it in to my electronic drum set and have a ball.
investnoob

Post by investnoob »

I've been playing Diablo III, also.

The recent patch gave me an excuse to log back in and try to find more, newer, loot. The patch kind of nerfed my barbarian build, though.

So I'm struggling with that and trying to figure out a way to get a new build I like. In the meantime, I've levelled a monk. That was fun! Only took a few hours.

It was about time, had about 200hours into my barb, and had never really tried anything else. The monk is really fun.
vrex

Post by vrex »

I have never played a video game.
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

I play Dota2 on PC, a game similar to League of legends. Also a free to play game, spent thousand of hours and haven't paid a penny.

I might get back into diablo3 once expansion pack comes out this month.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

investnoob wrote:I've been playing Diablo III, also.

The recent patch gave me an excuse to log back in and try to find more, newer, loot. The patch kind of nerfed my barbarian build, though.

So I'm struggling with that and trying to figure out a way to get a new build I like. In the meantime, I've levelled a monk. That was fun! Only took a few hours.

It was about time, had about 200hours into my barb, and had never really tried anything else. The monk is really fun.

Diablo.... When I first saw Diablo 1, it gave me nightmares as I was way too young. Then D2 came out and it sucked years of time from my life. But by D3, I grew of out gaming. I miss playing though.
Phatphoeater

Post by Phatphoeater »

kenyan wrote:
Phatphoeater wrote:League of Legends. A true boglehead game, free to play. I've played thousands of hours and have spend exactly zero cents. Other recent games have been BF4 and Diablo3.
I didn't mention it, but I do play this as well. I often stick to the Computer opponents, as it's mindless, easy, and avoids the extreme verbal abuse that is endemic to this genre of game. From time to time, I do fire up a real multiplayer game, though.

The other long-term game I occasionally break out is Rock Band 3 (X360). I plug it in to my electronic drum set and have a ball.
Add me and we can aram sometime. There isn't as much raging in aram. I quit during the beta years ago for the exact reason you don't play against humans. Coming back last year, I learned to just ignore them like the noise in the stock market! See bogleheads teaches you so much more than retirement investing.

edit: oops my IGN is phosheezee
Last edited by Phatphoeater on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jimmyq

Post by jimmyq »

BioShock Infinite. Excellent option for those who like FPS type games. And if you have to ask what FPS means, then you probably aren't one of those people.
Phatphoeater

Post by Phatphoeater »

investnoob wrote:I've been playing Diablo III, also.

I spent many hours on my barb. I was quite active in the bnet barb forums. The game got stale and I think it was because you could buy your gear either with the gold AH or the RMAH. Part of the reason D2 had such longevity was the fact you had no in game AH. You either farmed gear yourself or went to places like d2jsp.
chaz

Post by chaz »

pennstater2005 wrote:
chaz wrote:Bogleheads.org and solitaire.
On your iPad, we know. :happy
Of course!
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

jimmyq wrote:BioShock Infinite. Excellent option for those who like FPS type games. And if you have to ask what FPS means, then you probably aren't one of those people.
That and GTA5 are next on my hitlist.

Fortunately, I'm so busy that by the time I get around to having the time to play them, it'll probably be over a year, and the price will have dropped to $19.99! (As all the games I've bought, and I'm not even looking for sales - I'm just happily a gen back as an adult. No new Xbox /PS for me!)
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Here are some games I've played recently that I think are excellent.

Mafia 2... It's a First-Person-Shooter (FPS) with a lot of cut-scenes... Some people don't like those (since you're basically just watching a movie at that point), but the voice acting and story in this game is excellent. It's like being in a Godfather movie. Has a great ending. Mature rating of course.. don't let your kids near this one.

Portal 1 and Portal 2 - let your kids play these... FPS movement, but no real shooting. These are puzzle games that really work your mind... Very funny too, because as you do them, the computer watching you comments on your progress... You wake up, and you're basically a rat in a maze being tested by a computer... As time goes on, you get clues to what is really going on.

The Walking Dead - based on the comics and TV show... Zombies have taken over the world, and you have to survive with a bunch of other people... And some of them don't get along.. Some of them are freaking out over the end of the world and endangering everyone else. It's more about the relationships between the survivors than fighting zombies. This game is amazing... Great story, great voice-acting, full of choices... The hook is that you have to make the choice in like 3-5 seconds!!

For example, you've been working with some guy for the last couple of days... He really knows his stuff and is very useful to the group... then suddenly, some zombies break through a couple of windows... Your buddy is getting overwhelmed, and at the same time, some 8-year old kid (son of a survivor couple you just met) is being attacked...

Game asks you "Who do you help..." and you have 3 seconds to click on the answer... That's a tough choice, but having to make it a gut choice in 3 seconds really makes the game interesting. And the characters in the game will treat you differently based on your choices (How do you think the parents of that kid are going to react if you choose to save your useful buddy and let their kid die?)

I highly recommend it. Also not for kids.
Topic Author
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

HomerJ wrote:
The Walking Dead - based on the comics and TV show... Zombies have taken over the world, and you have to survive with a bunch of other people... And some of them don't get along.. Some of them are freaking out over the end of the world and endangering everyone else. It's more about the relationships between the survivors than fighting zombies. This game is amazing... Great story, great voice-acting, full of choices... The hook is that you have to make the choice in like 3-5 seconds!!
Played the first game (interactive story, really) and did enjoy it, especially as a big fan of the TV show. Recently played through the '400 days' episode after picking it for a buck. Waiting for a good steam sale to get the second season.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

Are you playing these on a PC? (Walking dead, portal, etc.?)
Topic Author
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Bogleheads.org - it's packed with fun-filled adventure with the potential for surprises along the way including the dreaded "Lock". :D
I'm not sure if you were implying that this thread might be a candidate for a lock, but I think it fits this subforum perfectly.

"Welcome to the Personal Consumer Issues forum. Here we can discuss how we spend our money and our time. Examples of acceptable topics are:

- recreational and leisure activities: travel, sports and entertainment

If you aren't sure if a topic you are about to post is OK, ask yourself whether it is both related to a consumer issue and actionable. By actionable, I mean whether you (or other readers) will potentially be able to use the information to better utilize your time or money."
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

lightheir wrote:Are you playing these on a PC? (Walking dead, portal, etc.?)
Yeah those are PC games.
arka

Post by arka »

Just started Tomb Raider (newest Xbox 360 version) yesterday, 1 hour in.

Just before that The Witcher 2, Assassins' Creed IV, Red Dead Redemption. Since becoming a parent I don't have much time, so I have a pretty big backlog of games that I own but have not started: XCOM, Bioshock infinite, Dishonored, Dead Island, Borderlands 1&2, and a lot more. Every time I see a game in my list for $15 or less I get it (slickdeals or wait till Black Friday), so it's going to take me a couple of years before I need to buy the new Xbox One or PS4 (I'm not in a hurry if that saves me :dollar ). Great entertainment for very low cost.
Tyrobi

Post by Tyrobi »

I also play League of Legends like one of the above poster. The game is absolutely free, and it has 32 million monthly active players.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

Clark & Addison wrote:I've been playing Super Mario Bros. with my 5 year old on the Wii lately. I've never really been into video games, but my kids have a few and I play with them.
Unbelievable, my 4 yr old and i play mario bros, mariokart and super mario 2 on the nintendo ds, and nothing else ever!

How do kids get into a 25 year old video game anyway? how do so many of them?
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:Bogleheads.org - it's packed with fun-filled adventure with the potential for surprises along the way including the dreaded "Lock". :D
We true gamerz know the real game is getting in before the lock!
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
traumadoc77

Post by traumadoc77 »

Hearthstone, free to play blizzard game (in beta). Don't have a lot of time but this is a pretty fun card game.
mortal

Post by mortal »

Games I've really gotten into over the years:

Civilization II
This game was the first video game I ever really loved. Bought it in 1996 and played it all the way to 2006, when I quit pc gaming. If it I could get this to run under wine, I'd still probably be playing it today. Before I started playing this game, I was an impulsive child. This game taught me the value of patience, and a well thought out plan. It greatly influenced everything from my studies, to my investing habits. I was, for a short time, ranked 3rd in the world on the multiplayer leaderboards.

Rainbow Six
I was a big tom clancy fan when I was younger. I put off buying this game for months, thinking it would be terrible. I mean really, a video game based on a book? How good could it be? I finally relented, and bought it. It was ... fantastic. I really enjoyed the fast tactical gameplay where one shot could easily put you out of action. Americas Army was also great in this regard (and free).

Left 4 Dead series
Easily the best team based / cooperative gameplay I have ever experienced. Teamwork wasn't just rewarded, it was manditory if you wanted any hope of victory. Made a lot of friends playing this game.

Currently playing:

Battlefield series
Battlefield is the only console game I know of that presents warfare on such an epic scale. I loved being a tanker in battlefield 3 (Ranked #470ish when I stopped playing). Battlefield 4 is decent, but buggy, but there isn't much else out for the playstation 4 right now.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Forza 5 on the XBOX One for me!
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

bubble safari
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

Guns of Icarus Online - postapocalyptic steampunk dirigibles with 4-person crews shooting it out in the skies.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

vrex wrote:I have never played a video game.
Same here.
All the Best, | Joe
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

my favorite games are puzzle/adventure games.! MYST was the first one i played and i play many of that kid.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Backgammon.
Jerrybaby

Post by Jerrybaby »

If I had the strength of character and willpower to fill my schedule with items that would make life better for myself, my family, my community and my country and fellow man, I just don't see video games ever being on the schedule. I do not possess in full measure that inner strength (yet), but video games are still not on my schedule. Seems far too addictive based on what I've seen and heard, with no payback. When I hear of young men wasting hours and hours on video games, I immediately think of all the women who hold positions of power in business and government, without a wonder why.

No, I don't play golf either, but even then your getting some exercise, staving off that pale look of late night gamers, and interacting with humans. Just my humble opinion.
Lollytiger

Post by Lollytiger »

I am playing I/O.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Downloading South Park: The Stick of Truth as I type this. Currently playing Skyrim, just finished Batman: Arkham origins. I must say the Batman: Arkham games are some of the best i have ever played, you can get the first two pretty cheap on Steam. I also recently completed Bioshock: Infinite, another fine game.
Mike
wander

Post by wander »

joe8d wrote:
vrex wrote:I have never played a video game.
Same here.
+1. Last time I played video game was 10+ years ago: car racing.
tomander

Post by tomander »

World of Tanks is free on line and great fun.

Link
Alistair

Post by Alistair »

Jerrybaby wrote:... When I hear of young men wasting hours and hours on video games, I immediately think of all the women who hold positions of power in business and government, without a wonder why...
What is this bleating stupidity.
Phatphoeater

Post by Phatphoeater »

Jerrybaby wrote:If I had the strength of character and willpower to fill my schedule with items that would make life better for myself, my family, my community and my country and fellow man, I just don't see video games ever being on the schedule. I do not possess in full measure that inner strength (yet), but video games are still not on my schedule. Seems far too addictive based on what I've seen and heard, with no payback. When I hear of young men wasting hours and hours on video games, I immediately think of all the women who hold positions of power in business and government, without a wonder why.

No, I don't play golf either, but even then your getting some exercise, staving off that pale look of late night gamers, and interacting with humans. Just my humble opinion.
Some of us live a semi-retired lifestyle and have enough time to pursue such leisurely activities that have no other goal than fun. I applaud the high standards you require of your leisure activities.

Believe it or not, not all gamers are pale lumps of flesh.