Bogleheads and Fast Food

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
joe8d

Re: Bogleheads and Fast Food

Post by joe8d »

Wendy's Dave's Hot n Juicy Cheeseburger is my favorite amongst the fast food cuisine
All the Best, | Joe
Toons

Post by Toons »

Mcdonalds dollar menu occasionally,Five Guys when I want to splurge :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

I don't think Five Guys and Chipotle is "fast food". Five Guys isn't exactly fast and and Chipotle doesn't seem like fast food. Is there a definition?

JT
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

If I eat fast food, it's usually Togo's, a sub chain in the Bay Area. Way better than Subway.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Has anyone visited Singapore or Malaysia? Their outdoor hawker centers (food courts) are incredible. Fast service, excellent food for very low price. The vendors are independent and they have very small menus. The guy may have been cooking the dish for 40 years and perfected the recipe.
- Roti prata
- Satay
- Hainanese Chicken Rice
- Singapore Chili crab
- Singapore Noodles

As much as I love NY pizza and pastrami sandwiches, the food in Singapore just blows everything away (at least for me). I dream about that Singapore Chili crab.
Wiki
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

Wow with all the fast food being consumed by bogleheads I don't think you will have to worry about out living your money or a 4% withdrawal rate.
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Not fast food, but if you want a proper cheesesteak you need to be within 45 miles of Philly.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

HueyLD wrote:El Pollo Loco. Very good flame broiled chicken and salsa. Good salads, too.
$5 Rice bowl with two tortillas. One of my favorite fast food places as well.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

stoptothink wrote:
ocdokie wrote:In-N-Out. I get a hamburger and DH gets Animal Fries. I'm always amazed at how cheerful and friendly the staff are; where on Earth do they find those kids? They're real, aren't they, not animatronic?
Maybe the fact that they are paid about twice what normal "fast food" workers are has something to do with it?
That was the guess that occurred to me. It's like AMICA people; I assume AMICA pays them well and gets what it pays for.
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

pop tarts and milk
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

yukonjack wrote:Wow with all the fast food being consumed by bogleheads I don't think you will have to worry about out living your money or a 4% withdrawal rate.
You only see those who post in this thread. You don't see those who avoid fast-food places and threads that discuss them.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Costco food court and Culvers are the only two I frequent.

Well.. except there is this bagel place (Bagels Express) that makes fresh, real bagels everyday (not that Panera or Einstein crap) and they have bagel sandwiches. Their service is so slow though, I think they might disqualify themselves from this discussion.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
hudson

Post by hudson »

Subway...steak on wheat...provolone...toasted....all veggies except lettuce, hot peppers, and pickles.
Five Guys...there isn't one out here in the sticks....I have eaten at one once while visiting the big city; I had to look up sscritic's peanuts:

https://www.google.com/search?q=5+guys+ ... 45&bih=838
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

Los Pollos Hermanos.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

jsl11 wrote:Costco food court. The food is pretty good, the portions are huge, and the prices are low.
Jeff
Just had their new addition. Barbecued brisket enjoyed it.

Subway no meats.
McD, Wendy's couple times a year

Sam
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

exoilman wrote: Subway no meats.
I won't eat meat or cheese from Subway. About 15 years ago it was decent quality... now it is the lowest of the low.
Last edited by bungalow10 on Tue Feb 11, 2014 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
bertie wooster

Post by bertie wooster »

We don't eat at typical fast food chains, but we'll duck into a local taqueria when we're on a walk if the mood strikes us.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

ThatGuy wrote:Los Pollos Hermanos.
hahaha
:D
ray.james

Post by ray.james »

ahhh when in college subway(with coupons) used to be once a day.

These days chipotle once a week. When travelling probably taco/burger king/wendys but still chipotle/subway takes the first choice.
very rarely every few months, I crave for the chick-fill-a sandwich.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

The local Chinese place is kind of fast food as I call ahead and by the time I get there it's ready but otherwise White Castle or Popeye's although I haven't been to either in a long time because I have been trying to eat better.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

bertie wooster wrote:We don't eat at typical fast food chains, but we'll duck into a local taqueria when we're on a walk if the mood strikes us.
Agreed. We have a pretty awesome taqueria about two blocks away, so the "mood strikes" my fiance every time she doesn't feel like helping cook. Definitely takes some will power to avoid going more than a couple times a month, especially because the total bill is about $10.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
denovo

Re: Burger King

Post by denovo »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

I was in the life insurance business in the 50s. One day a good friend named Jim McLamore came into my office to borrow the maximum on his policy. He wanted the money to open a new type restaurant.

Jim named his restaurant "Burger King."

Best wishes
Taylor
Did he ask if you wanted to invest in his company? :happy
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Taylor Larimore

Re: Burger King

Post by Taylor Larimore »

denovo wrote:
Taylor Larimore wrote:Bogleheads:

I was in the life insurance business in the 50s. One day a good friend named Jim McLamore came into my office to borrow the maximum on his policy. He wanted the money to open a new type restaurant.

Jim named his restaurant "Burger King."

Best wishes
Taylor
Did he ask if you wanted to invest in his company? :happy
denovo:

I can't remember if Jim asked me or not, but I remember thinking he was making a mistake. :(

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
MnD

Post by MnD »

bottlecap wrote:I don't think Five Guys and Chipotle is "fast food". Five Guys isn't exactly fast and and Chipotle doesn't seem like fast food. Is there a definition?
JT
Credit cards classify all fast casual places as fast food versus restaurant. If you order at a counter it's fast food.
I had 5% cash back selected for restaurants and wasn't getting 5% back at any of the places like Panera or Chipotle. Fortunately I get two 5% picks so i added fast food and now I get 5% on food.
70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
MnD

Post by MnD »

90% of my fast food buys are at Subway and Tokyo Joe's.
Here's a pic of Tokyo Joe's Tataki (seared tuna) salad. had one yesterday and it was fabulous.

70/30 AA for life, Global market cap equity. Rebalance if fixed income <25% or >35%. Weighted ER< .10%. 5% of annual portfolio balance SWR, Proportional (to AA) withdrawals.
selftalk

Post by selftalk »

Good health comes first in life and knowing that I do not partake in the fast food arena.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

Another vote for Chipotle. I love their non-GMO policy!
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.