Valentines Day - Flowers Order

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
atlanta_dad

Valentines Day - Flowers Order

Post by atlanta_dad »

Which is a good and cheaper place to order flowers online? Thanks
rbrown599

Re: Valentines Day - Flowers Order

Post by rbrown599 »

I think it really depends on what you are looking for. I've used 1800-Flowers a few times with good success and I hear ProFlowers is pretty nice. They key is whether you want them delivered by a florist or in a FedEx box.

It surprised me to find out that, after using 1800-Flowers for around 6 months, all of my recipients received their flowers in a packaged box, barely budding, with a packaged vase and plant food. None of my recipients ever told me how they were packaged, so I just assumed they were coming from a florist (I should have read the fine print). That being said, 1800-Flowers DOES do florist delivery on some of their products and they tend to be very competitively priced when compared to buying them directly from the florist and having them delivered. I remember having to comb through the description of the product to determine if they were hand delivered or boxed, but recently I've seen them listing delivery method in bright green lettering underneath the prices.

This year, I'm using 1800-Flowers to have them florist-delivered to her work. Last year, I bought a bouquet of roses from Kroger and she received them at home. The year before, I had a local florist deliver flowers to her work.

Edit: If you are an AMEX cardholder, check your personal offers for a 1800-Flowers credit. I think my AMEX Blue Cash had an offer of $15 off the purchase of $50 or more. My purchase was $49.98 so I didn't get to use it, but hey, it's there.

P.S. Go Braves.

Post by 853211 »

I took about four tries but I found a local florist that delivers in time, with quality arrangements and flowers that will last.

Nothing was more frustrating than my wife having the flowers die after one or two days.

Florist folks and I are on a first name basis now and they've tailored the arrangements to her preferences. Bright, whimsical, fun...all the ladies in her office rave about the flowers she gets so I must be doing so,ething right. 8-)

One thing to keep in mind, ordering early helps the florists manage inventory and usually results in better flowers, for me at least.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I remembered hearing "something" bad about 1-800flowers, and web searching turned up this:

http://consumerist.com/2008/05/02/1800f ... per-month/
Browser

Post by Browser »

I'm sending flowers to someone in another state. I decided that I prefer to have them delivered to her door by a human rather than sent via FedEx or some such. Searching through the various promotional discount offers from Teleflora, 1-800, etc., which sound pretty good, I discovered that all of these hang a nearly $20 delivery charge on your order if you want them personally delivered on Valentine's Day, which wipes out any promotional discount. Having discovered that, I got online to local florists in her area and ordered flowers that have NO delivery charge. Since the flowers would have been coming from a local florist anyway, I guess the $20 is NOT really a delivery charge -- it's the pickpocket charge that Teleflora, etc. get for sending your online order to the local florist, which of course you can do directly yourself. Nice scam.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.