Need a new all in one printer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RobG

Need a new all in one printer

Post by RobG »

Hi folks,
My printer croaked and I don't see any recent threads on printers. I need a new general printer/copier/scanner. One of my pet peeves with my old HP is that it doesn't scan to a PDF so having that feature would be nice for my next one. Of course having one that uses ink efficiently would also be nice.

I live in the sticks, but we have the usual stores around here (Costco, Office Depot, etc).
Stay thrifty my friends.
frugaltype

Re: Need a new all in one printer

Post by frugaltype »

I have an old HP PhotoSmart 3210 all-in-one. I just looked at the free HP Solution Center software I use for scanning, and it can be set to scan to pdf and every other format I ever heard of. I never use anything but scan to jpg myself.

I've probably had this thing for ten years, and I had one problem with it - one difficult paper jam. I actually bought two used ones in addition (less climbing stairs) based on how this one has lasted. No, correction, I once had a dried ink problem that was fixed by running the clean print heads routine a few times.

My only complaint about this type is I wish the input paper tray held more paper.
Last edited by frugaltype on Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

You didn't say whether you need color. I am very happy with my Brother MFC-7360N B&W laser printer, which got high marks from Consumer Reports. I've had it for at least 2 years now, and I notice that it is still offered in the Sunday Office Depot, etc. fliers. I chose laser because I don't print all that much and didn't want to have to worry about ink cartridges drying out and needing to be replaced prematurely.

It offers scanning to file (pdf). It does offer double-sided printing but not automatic. (The app guides you through the steps for "manual duplex" and other options.) The next model up offers automatic duplex printing.
Topic Author
RobG

Post by RobG »

I do need color, and high quality to print out pictures. I assume these won't reduce the options by much...
Stay thrifty my friends.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

RobG wrote:I do need color, and high quality to print out pictures. I assume these won't reduce the options by much...
You also didn't say whether you want laser or ink jet (well I guess you sorta did by saying you want one that uses ink efficiently).
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I am looking for a Laser All In One. Staples had some printers in our store with now print, copy, and scan (no more fax) which were nice. There was an HP for $225 but sold out.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
RobG

Post by RobG »

stan1 wrote:
RobG wrote:I do need color, and high quality to print out pictures. I assume these won't reduce the options by much...
You also didn't say whether you want laser or ink jet (well I guess you sorta did by saying you want one that uses ink efficiently).
The last I bought a printer time I ruled out laser, I think because of cost, but is it a better choice these days? Will a laser print photos?
Stay thrifty my friends.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

RobG wrote:Hi folks,
My printer croaked and I don't see any recent threads on printers. I need a new general printer/copier/scanner. One of my pet peeves with my old HP is that it doesn't scan to a PDF so having that feature would be nice for my next one. Of course having one that uses ink efficiently would also be nice.

I live in the sticks, but we have the usual stores around here (Costco, Office Depot, etc).
I am happy with my Brother MFC-something-or-other (can't remember the exact designation but that's old news anyway).

This is an ink jet printer/scanner/fax machine. It is now out of date and Brother has newer ones that look both nicer (appearance- and spec- wise) and cheaper. If I had to buy another I would start (and likely end) my search with Brother.

If you want photo-class color you need ink jet. Well actually there is another technology that I think is better (solid ink?) but that was very expensive last I looked. Be wary of printers that advertise business class color quality. You might think "business class" is better than some alternative like "home" or "personal" class but in the color print quality world "business class" means low(er) quality. Typically color laser means business class color.

About printing to PDF. In my case that is a function of the software that comes with the printer. Mine came with something called Nuance Paper Port that can muck around a zillion ways with the printer's ability to "print" to your PC, or with any other document/photo files. There are also ways to send and receive faxes from and to files on your PC, or print from an application to fax.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
Laura

Post by Laura »

In the last two weeks I bought an EPSON WF2540 online. It was a great deal for an all in one printer. We are very pleased so far.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

I really like the Canon Pixma MX series, e.g. MX922 for ~$130 - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wirel ... 00AVWKUJS/
Toons

Post by Toons »

I have a Canon All In One printer similar to the one shown in link below.I think I paid 39 bucks for mine on sale a few years ago.It more than suffices,Superb print quality (if I need to print)and Superb photo print.
Excellent price,value,quality :happy

Pixma MG322
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Canon-PIXMA-M ... r/24360269
Last edited by Toons on Sat Feb 08, 2014 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Saving$

Post by Saving$ »

VERY happy with my Brother MFC 720 (which replaced an 11 year old Brother MFC 420).
- Very low cost to acquire ($50 or so on sale)
- Ink cartridges on Amazon for about $2 each
- Very small compared to other all in ones with the same features
- Scans to PDF, and if you want even scans to PDF and converts the PDF to a search able document / text recognition (OCR) and also scans two sided documents to PDF
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I was very loyal to HP until my last two printers which gave me nothing but problems. Now have a Canon Pixma MX922 and love it.

The last HP I got was the 6700 and it developed a problem where if you forgot to turn the power off for a day it would not function and would not turn off manually. You had to unplug it from the outlet, wait for hours to let it reset then plug it back in. The printer would scold you for not turning it off correctly and the process would begin again. After awhile nothing worked and it refused to function. It also required me to replace all the color cartridges when the black ran out, even though they weren't empty. The HP 4500 I had before that was even worse. Never again.

I also have a portable Canon Pixma that's taken a beating and still works flawlessly.
Anon1234

Post by Anon1234 »

JamesSFO wrote:

I really like the Canon Pixma MX series, e.g. MX922 for ~$130 - http://www.amazon.com/Canon-MX922-Wirel ... 00AVWKUJS/
Consumer reports likes the Canon Pixma MG2220 and MG3220. They are about $65 at Amazon and use less "maintenance ink" than the MX922, but slightly more ink per page of text.
magellan

Post by magellan »

Some new all-in-one models offer automatic two-sided scanning. If I were buying a new printer/scanner, automatic duplex capability for both printing and scanning would be a requirement.

I'm on an all-electronic filing system and the one snag is that many documents that I need to scan are printed on both sides. Manually scanning a multi-page two sided document is a giant pain.

Shopping for a printer with this capability can be tough because many of the spec listings on online sites don't even list 2-sided scanning as a feature.

Jim
magellan

Post by magellan »

bertilak wrote:Mine came with something called Nuance Paper Port that can muck around a zillion ways with the printer's ability to "print" to your PC, or with any other document/photo files. There are also ways to send and receive faxes from and to files on your PC, or print from an application to fax.
This is obviously a personal preference, but my approach is to initiate scanning from the printer/scanner console and have it send the doc as a pdf to my laptop's desktop. The scanner driver software automatically handles this without user interaction on the laptop side, which is nice because the scanner is in the study, and my laptop is usually in a different room.

Jim
dbr

Post by dbr »

A printer like the Canon MX890 is an excellent printer to do what you want.

It is an ink hog.

I am not sure a truly effective,low cost, low supplies. solution to what you want exists.

We have a Canon ink jet for printing pictures and other "fancy" output and a cheap Brother (but not so cheap it can't duplex print) laser printer if we need a volume of black and white text, like printing out a tax return, to mention one timely example.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

magellan wrote:
bertilak wrote:Mine came with something called Nuance Paper Port that can muck around a zillion ways with the printer's ability to "print" to your PC, or with any other document/photo files. There are also ways to send and receive faxes from and to files on your PC, or print from an application to fax.
This is obviously a personal preference, but my approach is to initiate scanning from the printer/scanner console and have it send the doc as a pdf to my laptop's desktop. The scanner driver software automatically handles this without user interaction on the laptop side, which is nice because the scanner is in the study, and my laptop is usually in a different room.

Jim
The Brother works that way as well. You can initiate the scan from either end. When initiated from the machine you can choose PDF or JPEG. When initiated from the computer you can choose between nine(!) formats. This is where I think the Nuance software gets involved.

Outgoing Faxes can be initiated from the machine or the computer and incoming faxes can be directed to the computer, if desired.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
BL

Post by BL »

I bought directly from Epson. Have an Artisan 835 photo printer, prints on two sides, uses fairly expensive ink, not cheap. It does everything I need here far from commercial facilities. Next time, I may check ink supplies at Sam's Club, and see if I can get a good printer that uses those. I get ink from Amazon.
midareff

Post by midareff »

I've had good luck with Canon multi-function printers/scanners. Print including excellent photo quality or plain old black and white, although I use an old laser for b&w, duplex scanning, collate multiple copies etc. No issues, rarely jams (once or twice in 6 years) and ready to go in 20 seconds or so from turning it on. I had a Canon multi-function previous to this one which lasted about 4 years and was killed by aftermarket ink .. I learned.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

RobG wrote:One of my pet peeves with my old HP is that it doesn't scan to a PDF so having that feature would be nice for my next one.
While my current 3->1 printer (Epson Stylus Photo RX620 - an old model, but it works well and I've had it for years :mrgreen: ), I do create PDF's - required for reimbursement from my HRA (Retirement Medical) for expenses incurred.

I use on-line "free" PDF creation services, such as http://www.freepdfconvert.com/ to convert documents after I scan them (creates a .GIF image file). The site listed only allows you to covert one image every 30 minutes for free. If you normally need to convert a lot of documents, you can subscribe to the pay feature that allows you immediate multiple converts; it dosen't apply to me, since I only have 1-2 documents to convert at any one time.

As for a printer replacement (for me), the one feature I want to have next time is wireless connectivity. While I have a home network with multiple PC's attached, I need to have my main server (desktop) powered on. It's the one that has my printer on a direct-connect USB and it's a pain if I have it powered off, but need a hardcopy while using one of the other (wireless) PC's on the network.

FWIW,

- Ron
classpro

Post by classpro »

Ink jets are all about the outrageous cost of ink. If you don't get a printer that uses cheap 3rd party cartridges you're going to pay for the printer several times over in ink costs. I am really impressed with the brother inkjets because they use very inexpensive 3rd party cartridges. I have the j430.
Iorek

Post by Iorek »

GerryL wrote:You didn't say whether you need color. I am very happy with my Brother MFC-7360N B&W laser printer, which got high marks from Consumer Reports. I've had it for at least 2 years now, and I notice that it is still offered in the Sunday Office Depot, etc. fliers. I chose laser because I don't print all that much and didn't want to have to worry about ink cartridges drying out and needing to be replaced prematurely.

It offers scanning to file (pdf). It does offer double-sided printing but not automatic. (The app guides you through the steps for "manual duplex" and other options.) The next model up offers automatic duplex printing.
I researched this recently and ended up with the Brother MFC 7460-- the version that does duplex. The prices on these printers seem to bounce around and right now the 7460 is the same price as the 7360 on Amazon ($190).

I also looked at a Canon but people seemed happier with Brother. Either way I'd recommend laser over inkjet.
IPer

Post by IPer »

I have a Canon MP280 which is small but great, perhaps the larger Canons are for you, perhaps not.
Read the Wiki Wiki !
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

classpro wrote:Ink jets are all about the outrageous cost of ink. If you don't get a printer that uses cheap 3rd party cartridges you're going to pay for the printer several times over in ink costs. I am really impressed with the brother inkjets because they use very inexpensive 3rd party cartridges. I have the j430.
Have you had good luck with the 3rd party ink? I am on my 2nd set of 3rd party cartridge. The first set was flawless. I had to put in a second set a few weeks ago and just yesterday they started to misprint (white streaks). I ran the cleaning procedure and they are now working fine.

I do't know where my usage stands on a scale of low to high, but I run a small homeowner's association and that generates a lot of invoicing, etc. I have also had some family situations that have generated LOTS of paperwork and much of that got printed out for various reasons. DW prints out lots of things she finds on the internet. (She hasn't got used to the idea of keeping things on the computer!)

I paid about $20 for a set of 3rd party cartridges a year ago. I'm half way through the ink and expect to get another year out of them. I just looked up my Amazon order and see the price has dropped from about $20 to about $10! That really is cost effective. That brings it down to about $5 a year for ink.

NOTE: When I bough the printer Costco was having a sale on the 11x17 size making it about the same price as the 8.5x11 so I figured why not? It was a bit of a mistake as the thing does take up space. The newer Brothers have a more efficient layout so don't take up quite as much space.
Topic Author
RobG

Post by RobG »

Thanks guys, keep the info coming. I looked at the canons and am a bit nervous about buying one that costs less than $100, only because I'm guessing the components are cheap so you get jams, etc. I decided on 9600 dpi for no particular reason so that puts me at $150 nominal. The Brothers looked more expensive I need to take a closer look. A lot of online reviews mentioned jams with Epsons.
Stay thrifty my friends.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Have been a fan of Canon printers and just went through the process of getting a new one. Ended up buying the MX522, which has the following benefits over my prior Canon:

- Very easy Apple and Google printing from devices like Chromebooks and IPads
- Single black and color cartridges can be purchased in high capacity versions

Might have considered the MX922 for the following reasons:

- Paper cassete is more seamless approach
- Has larger number of individual ink tanks (like my prior printer). Some argue this is more efficient because you only have to change the ink tanks that run out, but really not sure given the high capacity versions available for the MX522. Having the multiple ink tanks ultimately became a bit of nuisance in the past.
Downtown

Post by Downtown »

I ordered an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus online from Costco and have been very pleased with the purchase. I've owned it around 8 months or so and use it daily. Costco delivered it to my door (no store pick-up required). It's been very reliable, and, even better, seems to be somewhat stingy with ink consumption overall. :D It also scans to pdf. Good luck!
PugetSoundguy

Post by PugetSoundguy »

I had a Brother color laser multifunction that started jamming paper. I figured out what was wrong, but it would cost more to repair than replace. Plus, I was never really happy with the quality of the color when printing photos. I used the Brother as a printer, scanner, and copier.

After a lot of research, I decided to replace the multifunction with a separate printer and scanner for two reasons: It seems in general 1) you can put together a better quality system this way for the same money, and 2) when part of it breaks I will just have to replace one component, not both. I chose an HP CF 147A Laser Jet Pro 200 printer ($190 on Amazon) and a Canon CanoScan 9000FMKII scanner ($180 on Amazon).

I could not be happier. The improvement in color photo printing is simply amazing. I realize you’re never going to get real photo quality with a laser printer and plain paper, but what it cranks out is just amazing. Much better than the Brother. Like the Brother, the HP also can print via wireless connection so a laptop and tablet, for example, can print without cables.
The scanner is much, much faster and easier than the Brother. It’s capable of very high quality, customized scans of photos and negatives, but for day to day work it’s great too. It has some dedicated buttons on it for common tasks such as auto scanning (where it crops the image automatically and sends it to your computer, this is what I use the most), and photocopying, where it scans and then sends directly to your printer so it works like a photocopier.

The downsides (that are not important for me, but might be for you): 1. The total footprint is a bit bigger for both devices than a multifunction, but not by that much. The Brother was a real monster and difficult to move. These devices are much more manageable. 2. No automatic double-sided printing or scanning. On the printer, for the rare times I need double-sided, there’s a fairly easy manual function to accomplish that. If you print double-sided a lot, however, you’ll want a printer that does it automatically. The scanner also is a flat-bed, single sheet model, so if you want double sided, you have to flip the document over. For me, I just scan the odd document occasionally along with more detailed photo work so automatic double-sided is not important. I just throw the document on the printer, hit the auto button, and a few seconds later we’re done.

So for my needs I am much happier with the two devices. It kind of went against my instincts (the majesty of the simplicity of one multifunction device and all), but in actual practice I much, much prefer this new setup.
BanditKing

Post by BanditKing »

I have an HP m472dw. It is multifunction (fax/copy/scan/print), color, will duplex for both printing and scanning. It runs about $750, but I found it on sale for $525. Prefectly happy with it.

It scans to PDF and can either dump that PDF to a thumb drive, email it to you, or to a network drive. Consumables seem relatively reasonable.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

I have two wireless printers. One is a higher-end wifi Epson Workforce 635 and the other is an inexpensive HP 3510 for wireless printing from my iPad (it supports Apple's Air Print).

No more cabled printers for me. With wireless, you can set them up anywhere that's convenient.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

We bought a Brother MFC-J875DW all in one color jet. Bought in on sale for $99 (was originally $149). So far it works great.
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Brother HL2280DW
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

I've had a Canon Pixma that works just fine, MP160, was under $80 or something

Bought parents a Brother MFC, and it is pretty nice, I will probably upgrade to one soon. Have them at Costco all the time at a nice price point
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
lairdb

Post by lairdb »

My Brother MFC recently died (after long and meritorious service) and I replaced it with the Epson WF-3520, based largely on the discussion at Wirecutter. Strongly recommend reading their article, not necessarily to get that specific item, but because they are very good at considering and exposing all the questions you should be asking.

After a few months, I'm quite happy with the Epson -- some tradeoffs, but they're just that: tradeoffs. (E.g. the Epson is much pickier about the size and shape of what goes into the ADF; it really wants only "normal" shape and weight paper. OTOH, it auto-duplex scans and auto-duplex prints, which I didn't have.)
JPH

Post by JPH »

I also have been using the Cannon Pixma MX922. It does a great job printing, but it is very slow to start the printing process once the command is given. Once it finally starts rolling, it is okay.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Nahum

Post by Nahum »

If it helps I bought an Epson Workforce 3530 for $119 which replaced a 4 year old Canon Pixma Printer. According to the specs you should be able to scan to pdf and it has 2 trays to hold paper. You have the option to purchase high yield ink. I wanted to save money on ink so this is my first Epson but so far so good. It can print, fax, scan and copy. There is even a separate tray where you feed the document and makes the copy or scan automatically similar to what you would do in an office copier. I love the Canon Pixma printers unfortunately it was an ink hog with 5 tanks to replace but it printed great pictures. Give Epson a try.
js2012

Post by js2012 »

Personally, I have a Brother and will never buy another one again. I bought it from a recommendation from a friend and I can't stand it.

My top gripe is the fact that it will turn on at three in the morning (or some ungodly time) and clean the print heads. I've looked to see about changing the settings and apparently, you can't change what time this occurs at. I live in a studio so I really can't put it any other place (except out the window I suppose) which really bothers me!

Next, I find the scanning to be "meh". It just seems a little fuzzier than the Canon I had a few years back. The cord for the USB has a very strange configuration inside the unit where the cord snakes around inside and then pops out which is kind of strange (not a dealbreaker, but a "huh"?).

I much preferred my Canon over this.
Watts

Post by Watts »

I have a Brother MFC-7840W laser all-in-one, which I purchased 5 years ago. It has lasted a long time, the cartridges last a long time, and toner replacement is relatively cheap. The printer and scanner both work great with my iPhone. I will definitely be buying another Brother when this one dies.
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

js2012 wrote:My top gripe is the fact that it will turn on at three in the morning (or some ungodly time) and clean the print heads. I've looked to see about changing the settings and apparently, you can't change what time this occurs at.
I Googled and couldn't find anything about the timing of this but mine seems to clean the print heads once a day at about the same time every day (Noon-ish). I read somewhere that it will wait at least an hour from last use before auto-initiating a cleaning.

One thing to try. Since mine seems to be on a 24-hour schedule, perhaps if you force a cleaning at some acceptable time of day it will do it every day at that time instead of three AM.

Does yours have a clock? Perhaps you can set the time and date.
Next, I find the scanning to be "meh". It just seems a little fuzzier than the Canon I had a few years back.
Mine has scan DPI settings from 100 to 600 DPI. Maybe you can improve scan quality if yours has such settings.
harikaried

Post by harikaried »

We bought a Canon Laser imageCLASS MF4890dw from Amazon for $199: http://smile.amazon.com/dp/B008YD1V76

We were looking for duplex color scanning (DADF) and duplex B/W printing with wireless connectivity. The main downside is there's no stapler. We've only had it for half a year and hadn't needed to get additional toner.
crumbgrabber

Post by crumbgrabber »

Another vote for Brother. Bought a 7820N (B&W later all-in-one) about 6 years ago, refurbished. It's been great--I've only replaced the toner cartridge once in that time (!) and probably printed about 10 reams. Use it for scanning everything (we're paperless) and it works great connected to my Mac.

For all photo printing I simply upload photos to Costco or Walgreens--color photo printing is simply not very economical at home for the amount we print. The black and white laser has never been an issue because of this.
M_to_the_G

Post by M_to_the_G »

+1 for brother.
Topic Author
RobG

Post by RobG »

js2012 wrote: My top gripe is the fact that it will turn on at three in the morning (or some ungodly time) and clean the print heads. I've looked to see about changing the settings and apparently, you can't change what time this occurs at. I live in a studio so I really can't put it any other place (except out the window I suppose) which really bothers me!
Yikes! I don't like that at all.
Stay thrifty my friends.
Topic Author
RobG

Post by RobG »

Is there any info on ink usage of the Brother vs Canon?
Stay thrifty my friends.
Toons

Post by Toons »

RobG wrote:Is there any info on ink usage of the Brother vs Canon?
FYI :happy
Printers with the lowest maintenance ink costs:
1. Brother DCP-J140W: $0
2. Epson XP-800: $14
3. Brother MFC J4510DW: $15
4. Brother MFC-J4410DW: $16
5. HP Envy 120: $18
6. Canon Pixma MX522: $20
7. Epson XP-600: $20

Printers with the highest maintenance ink costs:
1. HP Officejet Pro 8600: $126
2. Lexmark OfficeEdge Pro4000: $122
3. HP Photosmart 7520: $108
4. Epson Expression Photo XP-850: $100
5. Canon Pixma MX922: $86
6. HP Photosmart 6520: $82
7. Canon iP7220, iP7250: $61

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... rinters-2/
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Topic Author
RobG

Post by RobG »

Wow Toons - I didn't even know about "maintenance cycles." I think the only time my HP 6500 printed test pages was after I had to reset it when it stopped printing black (one of their bugs). [edit: based on http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/maga ... /index.htm HP uses an internal "diaper" to store the maintenance ink instead of printing a test page]
Stay thrifty my friends.
swaption

Post by swaption »

Toons wrote:
RobG wrote:Is there any info on ink usage of the Brother vs Canon?
FYI :happy
Printers with the lowest maintenance ink costs:
1. Brother DCP-J140W: $0
2. Epson XP-800: $14
3. Brother MFC J4510DW: $15
4. Brother MFC-J4410DW: $16
5. HP Envy 120: $18
6. Canon Pixma MX522: $20
7. Epson XP-600: $20

Printers with the highest maintenance ink costs:
1. HP Officejet Pro 8600: $126
2. Lexmark OfficeEdge Pro4000: $122
3. HP Photosmart 7520: $108
4. Epson Expression Photo XP-850: $100
5. Canon Pixma MX922: $86
6. HP Photosmart 6520: $82
7. Canon iP7220, iP7250: $61

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/business/20 ... rinters-2/
Cool, makes me feel much better about buying the Canon MX522 instead of the MX922. Surprised these would be so different.
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

Downtown wrote:I ordered an HP OfficeJet Pro 8600 Plus online from Costco and have been very pleased with the purchase. I've owned it around 8 months or so and use it daily. Costco delivered it to my door (no store pick-up required). It's been very reliable, and, even better, seems to be somewhat stingy with ink consumption overall. :D It also scans to pdf. Good luck!
I agree with all this. I picked mine up at the store and I think it was $150 or so.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

I recently got an HP Envy 4500 as a gift; it's about $100. My criteria were different though. I wanted something that had the latest e-print functionality, so it would be easy to use with my Chromebook and Nexus 7. It also happens to be an all-in-one. As an HP retiree, I get a discount on HP print cartridges; I also get free next business day delivery. A nice bonus is that it prints 2-sided automatically (no need to manually flip the paper).

I was able to set it up without even connecting it to a computer. So far it works great, but I don't print much, and haven't used any of the other functions.

Kevin
If I make a calculation error, #Cruncher probably will let me know.