I'm feeling old today

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Jay69

I'm feeling old today

Post by Jay69 »

I remember Jonny Carson's last show and now Jay Leno's last show.

Where does the time go!!!!!!
"Out of clutter, find simplicity” Albert Einstein
btenny

Re: I'm feeling old today

Post by btenny »

Nah you are not old unless you can remember Johnnny Carsons' first show or Jack Paars' last show or maybe watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan or Lawrence Welk and his Champagne music. Or how about Elvis wiggling and dancing on the Ed Sullivan show.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

I saw Johnny Carson's first late night show and Jay Leno's first appearance as a guest on Johnny Carson's show. How about the time when Johnny Carson was shown in color the first time (brought to you live in color on NBC with the NBC Peacock shown in color.) Those memories don't make me feel old. How about watching the the first television show after mid night while before that all tv stations shut down? Even that does not make me feel old. How about remembering when television was shown the first time in my home town? Not there yet.. Well then, how about remembering seeing your first motion picture in color, seeing your first single wing airplane, helicopter, jet, automatic automobile transmission even?
Those still don't make me feel old either.
And I hope I never will. :D
Ain't life great?
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
investor

Post by investor »

I remember 'Time for Beany"... first TV show I ever watched.

investor
Last edited by investor on Fri Feb 07, 2014 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

I do remember Lawrence Welk but not too much before that!!
Minot

Post by Minot »

Jay69 wrote:I remember Jonny Carson's last show and now Jay Leno's last show.

Cheer up, folks! I remember Steve Allen. Now that's old.
CABob

Post by CABob »

Minot wrote:

And you probablly claim you remember Dave Garoway on a morning show. :mrgreen:
Bob
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

Yep, yesterday Mets announcer Ralph Kiner died. I went to first Mets Opening Day ever 1962. Time is moving on, time to enjoy!! Stop worrying about money, it'll be here long after we are gone.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
Abe

Post by Abe »

I remember going to a friends house on Saturday mornings and we all would lie on the floor and listen to the radio. The radio was a Philco Floor Model with a wooden cabinet. We would listen to several programs including, I believe, The Buster Brown Show: ("Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!"). Later our neighbor was the first one to have a TV in our neighborhood. It had a round screen about 8 inches in diameter. Everyone in the neighborhood would go to their home to watch the television. I remember watching the Author Godfrey Show, I think.
Slow and steady wins the race.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Sometimes I get to feeling old -- 3 of my kids are older than the president -- 16 Grandkids -- 2 Great Grandkids ---- But the one fact that really makes me feel old is that next month my oldest daughter will celebrate her 36th wedding anniversary! Which, in these days, seems not to be the norm.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
chaz

Post by chaz »

I remember Milton Berle.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
invest0

Post by invest0 »

I remember Jay Leno's last last show.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

WINKY DINK!

Until parents everywhere screamed because too many children didn't wait for the 'plastic' TV screen cover to arrive, and just "connected the dots" with crayon,
right on the actual TV screen... :oops:

Now THERE was real adventure! :wink:

RM
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

investor wrote:I remember 'Time for Beany"... first TV show I ever watched.

investor
Are you referring to the puppet version or the animated cartoon version?
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

Toons wrote:I remember Howdy Doody :happy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QepdmeaKoRM
DH sat in the Peanut Gallery one fine day.

A memory he will never forget :D

RM
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Kukla, Fran and Ollie anyone?
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Captain Kangaroo?

Mr. Green Jeans?
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Topic Author
Jay69

Post by Jay69 »

Abe wrote:I remember going to a friends house on Saturday mornings and we all would lie on the floor and listen to the radio. The radio was a Philco Floor Model with a wooden cabinet. We would listen to several programs including, I believe, The Buster Brown Show: ("Plunk your magic twanger, Froggy!"). Later our neighbor was the first one to have a TV in our neighborhood. It had a round screen about 8 inches in diameter. Everyone in the neighborhood would go to their home to watch the television. I remember watching the Author Godfrey Show, I think.

I have to have few thousand hours of OTR (old time radio shows), I'm never going to get thru them all!! Its a fun hobby, should be Boglehead approved, its darn neat free:)
winski58

Post by winski58 »

I was seven when we got our first television. I remember The Life of Riley, Sgt. Bilco and Ozzie and Harriet. Gunsmoke was the most "violent." Reminds me of how different it was to grow up in that era. We definitely "grew up" a lot slower.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

btenny wrote:Nah you are not old unless you can remember Johnnny Carsons' first show or Jack Paars' last show or maybe watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan or Lawrence Welk and his Champagne music. Or how about Elvis wiggling and dancing on the Ed Sullivan show.
Been there, done that
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

I remember when Moses parted the Red Sea.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
buckstar

Post by buckstar »

invest0 wrote:I remember Jonny Carson's last show and now Jay Leno's last show.

You're not really old until you can't remember last night's show.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

The Lone Ranger. Hopalong Cassidy.

The late movie, the late late movie, and the late late late movie. When the other stations were showing signal patterns.

Playhouse 90.

Dragnet. Raymond Burr's Perry Mason.

When news anchors were actually journalists.

Tom Corbett, Space Cadet.
Last edited by frugaltype on Fri Feb 07, 2014 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Professor Emeritus

CABob wrote:
Minot wrote:

Doesn't count unless you can describe J Fred Muggs from memory
vectorizer

Post by vectorizer »

You guys are making me feel young. :)
rob

Post by rob »

I get this strange look from my kids when I say I remember getting TV for the first time when I was 7 or 8 in black & white and that there was no video games..... To be fair.... My family lived in a place where tv was later than most people here would have experienced :-) We had to you know... play outside with stuff & other kids 8-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
Ged

Post by Ged »

I remember not having a TV, and the first TV my parents had delivered. The delivery man said something like "you are a lucky boy" when he delivered the TV. I think I was 4 or 5 at the time. My father was an engineer so we had consumer electronics even back then. Howdy Doody is the first show I remember watching.

Ed Sullivan is the second. Lawrence Welk not so much.

My first memory of watching sports on TV is Ted William's last at bat and my mother getting excited when he hit a home tun. I'm still a Red Sox fan.

I don't FEEL old at all. However when they ring up the senior discount it gives me pause.
solonseneca

Post by solonseneca »

Lightweights.

I remember when Noah made of the mistake of putting two male dodo birds on the ark. Boy did Carson make fun of him for that.
TallPines187

Post by TallPines187 »

Heck I remember actually Listening (!!!) to "The Shadow" and "Gunsmoke" (we were among the last to get a TV in our neighborhood). I can still remember rejecting James Arness and Miss Kitty the first time I actually Saw them on a TV - because that is NOT what they looked like. Ah - there was a generation that relied heavily on their imaginations.............hope you were one of them?
Prokofiev

Post by Prokofiev »

btenny wrote:Nah you are not old unless you can remember . . . Lawrence Welk and his Champagne music.
I cannot forget Lawrence Welk because he is still on TV here in New Orleans every Saturday night. And on the local PBS station!

Since when is/was Lawrence Welk an educational program? And in a majority African-American market? Strange but true.
Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not simpler - Einstein
btenny

Post by btenny »

Yea I remember playing outside for fun. It was great. I also remember helping my Dad and brother "aim" the big 25ish foot tall TV antenna by turning it to improve reception. We had just had it installed along with our first new "round TV". It was maybe 20 inches and came in a big cabinet.
Abe

Post by Abe »

Yes, Howdy Doody:
I remember my friend and I would run home every day after school and turn the TV on. The Kate Smith Show would be ending about that time. She always sang, "When The Moon Comes Over The Mountain", right at the end of her show. The next show was, The Howdy Doody Show, which was what we wanted to see. Some of the cast was Buffalo Bob, Clarabell, Princess Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring an of course, Howdy Doody. A distinctive feature was the Peanut Gallery, with on-stage bleachers seating about 40 kids. Each show began with Buffalo Bob's asking, "Say kids, what time is it?" and the kids' yelling in unison, "Howdy Doody Time!" Pretty hokey but we loved it. It didn't take much to entertain us. Also remember the Lone Ranger. At the end of the show with the music from the William Tell Overture playing, the Lone Ranger, departing on his white stallion, Silver, would shout, "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!". As they galloped off, someone would ask, "Who was that masked man, anyway?" I saw an episode recently and I wondered how I was able to sit through it. :happy
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

btenny wrote:Yea I remember playing outside for fun. It was great. I also remember helping my Dad and brother "aim" the big 25ish foot tall TV antenna by turning it to improve reception. We had just had it installed along with our first new "round TV". It was maybe 20 inches and came in a big cabinet.
Your round TV was probably a Zenith. Ours was. I'm not aware of any other manufacturers with round picture tubes.
technovelist

Post by technovelist »

If you can remember the '60s, you weren't there. :oops:
In theory, theory and practice are identical. In practice, they often differ.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Fortunately at age 77 I can still remember a lot! :wink:
Tom D.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Prokofiev wrote: I cannot forget Lawrence Welk because he is still on TV here in New Orleans every Saturday night. And on the local PBS station!

Since when is/was Lawrence Welk an educational program? And in a majority African-American market? Strange but true.
The PBS station in San Jose,Ca used to have great science fiction programs when I lived in that area, and Eastenders.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

TallPines187 wrote:Heck I remember actually Listening (!!!) to "The Shadow" and "Gunsmoke" (we were among the last to get a TV in our neighborhood). I can still remember rejecting James Arness and Miss Kitty the first time I actually Saw them on a TV - because that is NOT what they looked like. Ah - there was a generation that relied heavily on their imaginations.............hope you were one of them?
Radio has really gone into the bit bucket nowadays.
coacher

Post by coacher »

Fond recollections of Sid Caesar's show and "My Mother the Car."

Very nostalgic for me re: Ralph Kiner. Loved "Kiner's Corner" following my beloved Mets' games. If those guys took steroids, at least nobody knew about it.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

CABob wrote:
Minot wrote:

Not only do I remember him, I remember that his name is spelled with two R's. Occasionally used to see him "live" through the big plate-glass windows in the sort of storefront-studio in Rockefeller Center.

I remember when my folks had a TV set that could tune to "Channel 1." (There was no Channel 1. The sets had been manufactured before the FCC figured out it had screwed up and put all the channels too close together).

I remember being scared by Clarabelle on "The Howdy Doody Show." You will (of course) recall that Clarabelle used to run around chasing people and squirting them with a seltzer bottle. I found that disturbingly hostile.

I remember cheesy ads in magazines that claimed that you could get something that would give you "color TV" for, I dunno, $1.98. It was a sheet of plastic that had a blue-tinted area near the top and a green-tinted area near the bottom, so if you were watching a Western and everything lined up just right, you saw green grass and blue sky. Or green floors and blue ceilings...

Winky Dink. Which was actually rather cool in a way. It involved an "animated cartoon" animated at the rate of less than one frame per second, with very simply drawn characters. You bought a kit consisting of a "Magic Window" which was a sheet of plastic that stuck to the set by static electricity, and "Magic Crayons" which were soft crayons that could wipe off easily. There were only four crayons--black, green, red, and yellow. They would give you instructions on what to do to interact with the story... there might be a bad guy, for example, and they would put dots on the screen and tell you to draw a box around the bad guy to keep him in. And then the bad guy would do invisible-glass-wall miming and curse at being trapped inside the box. The funny thing is that we knew it didn't actually matter if we drew the box or not, and there was so much parallax that nothing quite lined up right anyway, but it was still fun.

Milton Berle, just barely. "Playhouse 90" from time to time. And Groucho Marx, "You Bet Your Life." "Say the secret word and divide a hundred dollars, it's a common word, something you use every day."

Live commercials on the Steve Allen show and others, oh it was SO great when they messed up. Steve Allen doesn't pull the Polaroid picture out just right and it gets ruined. Betty Furness has trouble opening the refrigerator door that's supposed to open from either side. John Cameron Swayee puts a Timex watch ("It Takes A Licking And Keeps On Ticking") on the blade of an outboard motor in a tank and runs it, and WHOOM! the watch comes off the blade and gets slammed into the side of the tank and when he takes it out it is NOT ticking.

Charles Van Doren sweating it out in the "isolation booth" and my mom calling us in to watch because she thought it was such a good example to see intellectuals winning fabulous money prizes. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiz_show_scandals .

Edward R. Murrow on "See It Now," with his cigarette.

Jon Gnagy, "Learn to Draw." (Think Bob Ross...)

But do not let anyone feed you a line of guff about "the golden age of television." It wasn't all Playhouse 90, not by a long shot. Mostly it was awful. Yes, I am old enough to remember Newton Minow calling it a "vast wasteland." By and large television is much better than it was.
Last edited by nisiprius on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:37 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Abe

Post by Abe »

If you are around 70, you will remember this. "Hi-Yo, Silver! Away!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcRWO-jvjDI
investor

Post by investor »

Also remember when they stopped showing Westerns because they encouraged violence. That was prior to drive by shootings....late 1950's I guess.

investor
investor

Post by investor »

[quote="cheese_breath"][quote="investor"]I remember 'Time for Beany"... first TV show I ever watched.

It was the puppet version, about 1948 - 1952. era. Philco TV with a small screen...perhaps 6-10 inches

investor
Professor Emeritus

In the early 50s in New York we had a small Admiral TV set that we bought cheap since it would overheat. My father took it out of the case and mounted it high on the wall where no kids could reach it. I got the set in the early 60s after it died and managed somehow to replace the flyback transformer. That also solved the overheating problem . It lasted until the first Super bowl.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

I find that there are 2 signs of approaching old age ----- Loss of memory and ---- uhh --- I forget the other one!
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Some of this has the ring of "older than thou."

So, in the spirit of "going one better than the last guy:"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

:wink:
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Kukla, Fran and Ollie :D
All the Best, | Joe
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

cheese_breath wrote:Kukla, Fran and Ollie anyone?
One of the highlights of my Saturday mornings as a kid...
Gnirk

Post by Gnirk »

btenny wrote:Nah you are not old unless you can remember Johnnny Carsons' first show or Jack Paars' last show or maybe watching the Beatles on Ed Sullivan or Lawrence Welk and his Champagne music. Or how about Elvis wiggling and dancing on the Ed Sullivan show.
Dang! I remember all of those. :annoyed
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Some of the cast was Buffalo Bob, Clarabell,
Buffalo Bob Smith Grew up here ( Hence " Buffalo " ) and started in local radio before going on to Howdy Doody. Carabell went on to be Captain Kangaroo.
All the Best, | Joe