$25K Budget for a Fun Car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cmpliance

$25K Budget for a Fun Car

Post by Cmpliance »

So I posted a thread earlier trying to understand if there are any other car enthusiasts on the forum and surprisingly there were a good amount.

I'm looking for a fun toy car for the weekends and setting aside...at most a $25K budget. Looking for ideas from you guys. I have a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 that I have as my daily driver.

What I'm looking for:

- Rarity - I'm not looking for a car that everyone is going to see/have
- Power - This comes with being able to pass smog laws. I like forced inducted cars and like torque, but if there are NA based cars that I can legally add a turbo to, that is a possible option

Here were some of my past cars:

1994 Mazda RX7 - Stock bolt on with the twin turbos
2005 GTO - Headers, exhaust, large cam - 423rwhp
1994 Mazda RX7 - Single turbo street ported - 415rwhp
2000 Audi S4 - Stage 3 turbo setup, 375awhp
camaro327

Re: $25K Budget for a Fun Car

Post by camaro327 »

Interesting cars would be the last Saturn Sky Redlines or Pontiac Soltice GXPs. These have turbos and you would not be seeing yourself coming and going.

Those come to mind first, but Evos, SRT8 (you name the model), and maybe a used Civic Si and then bump it up with a turbo.

Have Fun!
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

How about a BMW Z3 M Coupe? You can pick up an MZ3 in the early 2000's for about that kind of money and it offers the attributes you mention.

http://www.mcoupebuyersguide.com/listings/
z06ray

Post by z06ray »

1987 Buick grand national?
NaOH

Post by NaOH »

Ford Lightning? They may be nothing more than burnout machines, but I always wanted one.

For that matter... SVT Cobra?
"Are you flying? Or are you simply floating?"
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I know folks have stuffed a 5.0 Mustang engine into a Miata. That would be pretty rare yet affordable and quick.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

camaro327 wrote:Interesting cars would be the last Saturn Sky Redlines or Pontiac Soltice GXPs. These have turbos and you would not be seeing yourself coming and going.
Great idea. Those are great looking cars, and pretty darn rare. I believe you could get a deal on one. First thing I would do would be remove all Saturn or Pontiac emblems. They are rare enough that most people would have no idea what you were driving.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Find a used, already built Factory Five Cobra. Because it is so light, it will be seconds faster 0-60 than anything on your list. You'll find SB100 cars for sale in CA within your budget.

If you can extend the budget just a bit, you can find an 05 Lotus Elise.

Note: I owned a FFR Cobra and now own an 07 Lotus Elise.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

If you want rare for that money, I think Lotus Elise, BMW Z4 M Coupe/Roadster or BMW Z3 Roadster are good options.
scone

Post by scone »

How about a slightly used Subie STI with rally mods.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Funny that some of you guys mentioned a Miata. I owned a 2000 Miata and bought a 1990 turbo Miata that didn't run. The 2000 Miata was my daily driver and it was probably the most fun I've had in a car even without the HP. The 1990 turbo Miata, I tried to fix but was looking in the wrong places. I thought it was the aftermarket ECU and tuning but it ended up being the timing belt slipped. I'd like a turbo Miata, but it comes back to smog in California :/

I was looking at potentially old school 1967-1973 body camaros. The 2nd gen camaros will be cheaper due to less demand than the 1st gen, but I've seen some fairly large motors (454s) in them for a decent price ($15-$20k). I could add a custom turbo setup a few years down the line and probably have close to a 500-600rwhp camaro that would be smog exempt in CA.
kerplunk

Post by kerplunk »

You could get a late 2000s Porsche Boxster. I've had two. Very fun.
programmer

Post by programmer »

Older, air-cooled Porsche 911
Reliable and fun.
Runner01

Post by Runner01 »

MX5 with a 5.0 in it. Don't bother doing the swap yourself (unless you want to) as it is cheaper just to buy one already done. I have seen a few MX5 NBs with 5.0s in them but I think the best is the old stock looking MX5 NAs.
enc0re

Post by enc0re »

This goes directly against your desire for POWER!, but if you are talking $25K for FUN; then I think the Toyota FR-S/Subaru BRZ deserves a test drive to see if it's for you.
steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

kerplunk wrote:You could get a late 2000s Porsche Boxster. I've had two. Very fun.
I agree. Here is a fine example:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 2991&Log=0
"As your wealth grows do not set your heart on it." steelerfan
DTSC

Post by DTSC »

I thought a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 would be a fun car. Zoom-zoom and all that.
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

Boxster for sure!
gunn_show

Post by gunn_show »

HardHitter wrote: - Rarity - I'm not looking for a car that everyone is going to see/have
- Power - This comes with being able to pass smog laws. I like forced inducted cars and like torque, but if there are NA based cars that I can legally add a turbo to, that is a possible option
if you want rare, $25k not gonna get you much if anything in that department. let's be honest here. just about every american drives a 25k car these days
scone wrote:How about a slightly used Subie STI with rally mods.
was my first idea as well. probably no better bang for the buck, and mod's bucks, than an STi

I would also say an s2000... 25k will get you an almost new one, for 17-20k you can get a low mileage one and slap a few mods on and be doing 260-270hp, rear wheel drive, 6 speed manual, convertible, very rare/hard to find car, since it is now out of production. I had one and loved it to death, sold it for a more practical Honda Pilot (can't fit snowboards in an s2000), and wish I hadn't. Thinking about buying a cheapie s2000 to fix up as weekend driver.

Oh, edit, both of these cars and manufacturers are tops on the reliability list. As big a fan of Porsche as I am, for 25k, you are not gonna get anything reliable or without a ton of miles, most likely. but man, I would love a new Cayman...
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten
jimp

Post by jimp »

2001/2002 Z3 M coupe (315hp)
2006 Mini Cooper GP
Cayman / S2000

I owned a STI - most AWD cars lack character /soul
CABob

Post by CABob »

When Pontiac went out of business I thought that it would be a great idea to buy a Soltice and put it in the barn for 20 years or so. In 20 years I think it might be considered a classic and a no or low mileage one might be quite a head turner.
Bob
TRC

Post by TRC »

2008 BMW 335i with sport package in manual.
vzgeekgirl

Post by vzgeekgirl »

How about you buy my 2002 Corvette with only 23k miles for $21
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

enc0re wrote:This goes directly against your desire for POWER!, but if you are talking $25K for FUN; then I think the Toyota FR-S/Subaru BRZ deserves a test drive to see if it's for you.
I second that. Not too common, although they will become more so, and excellent bang for the buck. They should be relatively easy and inexpensive to operate and maintain.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

My $0.02: given the stereotype of people who drive STIs (i.e. boy racers), I would not feel comfortable buying a used STI knowing that most likely it was pushed really, really hard and not kept up with that. A used Porsche, on the other hand...

Again, probably not the case for every single STI/Porsche out there, but most of them. BRZ would be fun but they're hardly rare or look good.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

I don't think the STi mentioned already has the "rarity" factor the OP is looking for. They're everywhere, at least around me. Might as well get a mod'ed out Honda. :D

To stick with the Pontiac/GM theme, since the OP had a GTO... how about a Pontiac G8 (I like those a lot), or a Cadillac CTS-V (although I don't know what those are going for)? Kind of sleeper refined car that will knock your socks off! And, throw a supercharger on it later... :shock:

*** vsgeekgirl, great low mile Corvette you have there!! :sharebeer
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

HardHitter wrote:I was looking at potentially old school 1967-1973 body camaros. The 2nd gen camaros will be cheaper due to less demand than the 1st gen, but I've seen some fairly large motors (454s) in them for a decent price ($15-$20k). I could add a custom turbo setup a few years down the line and probably have close to a 500-600rwhp camaro that would be smog exempt in CA.
As an owner of a 1970 Chevelle with a 454 in it, I can tell you that if gas mileage is anywhere on your list of concerns that's a bad choice. I love my Chevelle, but it sits a lot due to it being so thirsty! Definitely not a cruising car unless gas money is no concern. But, it's a blast to go out and blow off some steam with once in a while!! :D

I often think of having a more modern "fun car" to be more cruise friendly.
WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs »

I own the next hot stock- VTSAX
Cigarman

Post by Cigarman »

'72 Cutlass Supreme Convertible with 350 Rocket, Red with white interior. Loved mine when I had it. Power, style, chrome, metal. It did turn heads.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

I could see myself in one of the last generation (2002-2005) Thunderbirds, powder blue, just puttering around the country side seeing the scenery.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
wander

Post by wander »

DTSC wrote:I thought a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 would be a fun car. Zoom-zoom and all that.
+1
steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

DTSC wrote:I thought a 2012 Mazdaspeed3 would be a fun car. Zoom-zoom and all that.
He has this very car as his daily drive - I believe the OP is looking for something more!
tphp99

Post by tphp99 »

Your daily driver + $25K = a BMW M3
Homebrewed

Post by Homebrewed »

tphp99 wrote:Your daily driver + $25K = a BMW M3
This or any 335 - they can be quite fast sleepers and they still look great doing it. Nothing rare, but still stylish.

I was going to suggest an RX7 but I see that you've owned two FD's. What didn't you like about them? They are gorgeous, rare cars but can be a lot of work in terms of maintenance/repairs. Could always through an LS in one.

A Lotus 7 is nice and rare
stupidkid

Post by stupidkid »

I've taken some race driving courses, and the owner (who also races pro) LOVES the solstice/sky; for the lower power classes these are what he races. Perfectly balanced cars, even without forced induction plenty fast around the track, cheap to maintain and durable, and they're sleepers.

Myself, I have a 135i M sport and love it, just wish it had a good LSD.
jda

Post by jda »

Used lotus

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/ct ... 25394.html
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/ct ... 74131.html

great handling and rare. HP is not up there but it's super light.
Look is subjective though....
Altephor

Post by Altephor »

BRZ or FR-S for that money. Not rare but very fun to drive. I've only test driven them at the dealer and they were still a blast even at slow(er) speeds.
jbreittling

Post by jbreittling »

Jaguar, XJ6
tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden »

Staying within your budget, I would say:
- Honda S2000: perhaps throw a turbo kit or supercharger on it
- Porsche Boxster: not as much straight line speed, but fun car
- C5 Corvette Z06: not very rare though
- FD RX-7: with LS1/6 swap

If you are willing to stretch the budget by $5-$10K:
- Gen 3 Dodge Viper: very rare, lots of horsepower
- C6 Corvette Z06: common, but very fast
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Please remember that SMOG is going to be the reason why I cannot keep cars. There were questions on why I didn't keep the RX7. Well key reason was I lost my smog guy and I couldn't get the car to pass smog with what I did with the car. California is the WORSE state for smog laws... That would throw out any car with a motor swap I believe. LSx based RX7 swaps won't be smog passable I believe.

Here is a list of what I've been looking at/thinking. As you can tell, my head is ALL OVER the place haha:

I don't really want another 4 door sedan car because I have my Mazdaspeed.

- 1st Gen (67-69) Camaros
- 2nd Gen (70-73) Camaros
- S2000 (power is in high RPM range and torque less which I don't like)
- FD3S RX7 (if there is somehow a way to get an LS swapped one pass smog, I'd do it. I'm done with the rotory motor)
- E46 BMW M3
- Viper/Z06 (I did look into these, but they are going for $35-$40K)

I'm sure I'll come up on some additional cars while I'm searching haha
SwampDonkey

Post by SwampDonkey »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-Sky-WE-F ... ars_Trucks

2008 Saturn Sky in primo condition. Less than $16k. Only 18k miles.
longview

Post by longview »

HardHitter wrote: - S2000 (power is in high RPM range and torque less which I don't like)
Is this based on a testdrive or spec sheet? If you haven't done a test drive I recommend it -- the best transmission around... super fun to shift into those hi-rev ranges. S2000 CR more fun if you like the go-cart feel of stiff suspension (and short throw shifter). Also rare.

Can get a modded old Mustang for startline power, if you prefer that. Are you looking more for mountain road cornering or dragging between lights?
(To color my comments: my situation is ER trying to make a large portfolio that is 99% taxable last 45 years)
Topic Author
Cmpliance

Post by Cmpliance »

Having had high HP cars as well as low HP cars, I noted that a Miata was the most fun I've had in a car. Why? I think it is because of how nimble it was and basically how I would just floor it wherever you went and wouldn't have to worry about it breaking loose.

I like smaller more nimble cars. Something that I can throw into the corners but something that will also give a nice rush when a straight away opens up
DWins

Post by DWins »

I like the Nissan 350Z. I don't see too many of them and the ones I do see always get a second look. Attractive car, highly rated and right around your budget if you get one two or three years old.
steelerfan

Post by steelerfan »

Here is a 2007 Mercedes-Benz SLK350 Convertible for $22,992 with only 43K miles:

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 8100&Log=0

I believe it checks most of the OP's boxes.
OnFire

Post by OnFire »

I am a gear head of the first order, and I think, that you need to narrow the list down to cars that can corner and those that can't. I can appreciate the desire for a car that is exempt from smog regulations, being in California. If I were going to go the Camaro route, I'd want to go the restomod route, with a car that looks stock but with modern suspension and brake bits. I think this would put you WAY past your $25K budget. That's why if you want something different/rare, I favor the Factoy Five or Lotus Elise routes. The Factory Fiver is probably old enough to be exempt from smog, and the Lotus, with it's four cylinder Toyota motor will be good to go with smog for decades to come.

I also favor the Boxster S route.

Have fun.
Where are all the customers yachts? | | “The most powerful force in the Universe is compound interest.” -Albert Einstein
btenny

Post by btenny »

how about a Chrysler Crossfire. Nice looking and fun to drive and avaiable at a good price. See here.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale ... 5804&Log=0
btenny

Post by btenny »

gpburdell

Post by gpburdell »

HardHitter wrote:What I'm looking for:

- Rarity - I'm not looking for a car that everyone is going to see/have
If you're looking for something rare and not an exotic/halo; I'd go for the Porsche Cayman. I'm like you; I prefer cars that not everyone else has. Only a couple thousand Caymans are sold in the U.S. every year. Base price of a new Cayman is ~$50k like a Boxster. You should be able to find a used one in your price range, but it may take some patience (remember there aren't alot of them).

I love my Cayman and would highly recommend one (it's my daily driver). An alternative would be a Lotus Elise. Though if you plan to drive it alot; the Cayman wins in the comfort area.

davemartin88

Post by davemartin88 »

CABob wrote:When Pontiac went out of business I thought that it would be a great idea to buy a Soltice and put it in the barn for 20 years or so. In 20 years I think it might be considered a classic and a no or low mileage one might be quite a head turner.
I have a 2007 Solstice with about 6500 miles, not in the barn but not a lot of trips. Not many on the road in this area of West Virginia.