AT&T Mobile Users: Check your plans

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Cash

AT&T Mobile Users: Check your plans

Post by Cash »

ATT announced major changes to their multiple-line mobile plans over the weekend, significantly increasing their value in many instances. See these articles:

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/02/0 ... blogs&_r=0

http://news.cnet.com/8301-1035_3-576182 ... ily-plans/

For the same price that I was paying for 2GB, I can now get 10GB!! I'm loving this price war among the mobile carriers. Looks like the Justice Department was right to prevent the ATT and T-Mobile merger.

11/02/2014 EDIT regarding a further value increase for the 2GB and 4GB plans: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p2244608

08/17/2016 update: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=132251&p=3020596#p3020596
Last edited by Cash on Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Hexdump

Re: AT&T Mobile Users: Check your plans

Post by Hexdump »

This is a good deal for us, so I wonder if there are any gotchas.
Like we are signing for another 2 year contract.
From reading their ad this is a no contract deal, so what would that mean if I am already under a contract with them ?
Probably no change on the contract dates, but I better call them.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

Just got off of the phone with ATT and this plan is not available if the phone is under contract.
We have 3 phones, 2 under contract.
I changed the plan to take advantage for 1 phone and can change the rest when the contract expires.
CyLaw

Post by CyLaw »

Hexdump wrote:Just got off of the phone with ATT and this plan is not available if the phone is under contract.
I changed the plan to take advantage for 1 phone and can change the rest when the contract expires.
The customer service reps have not been properly trained yet on the change. The pricing does not apply for new on-contract phones, but AT&T is giving the pricing to existing on-contract phones that switch over to the Mobile Value Share Plan.

I made the change online with 4 phones already under contract. The online system clearly showed that the new pricing (using $15 a line plus $100 for data, showing a total price of $160) would apply to all four phones.

Edit: And the online FAQ is very confusing and does not help understand things any better. For now, I am trusting the online system that allowed me to do the change, and I screenshot it to prove the pricing in case AT&T tries to dispute it. YMMV until AT&t gets their messaging straight.
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

CyLaw wrote:
Hexdump wrote:Just got off of the phone with ATT and this plan is not available if the phone is under contract.
The customer service reps have not been properly trained yet on the change. The pricing does not apply for new on-contract phones, but AT&T is giving the pricing to existing on-contract phones that switch over to the Mobile Value Share Plan.

I made the change online with 4 phones already under contract. The online system clearly showed that the new pricing (using $15 a line plus $100 for data, showing a total price of $160) would apply to all four phones.

Edit: And the online FAQ is very confusing and does not help understand things any better. For now, I am trusting the online system that allowed me to do the change, and I screenshot it to prove the pricing in case AT&T tries to dispute it. YMMV until AT&t gets their messaging straight.
My phones are also under contract (though it says I can upgrade now), and I got the same pricing as above when I made the change online.
java

Post by java »

We have 3 smartphones all under contract.
I used the online chat with agent and they immediately changed to $145 / month total and I get my employer discount off the data.
Now the potential catch would be when I need a new handset, we need to pay full price. Works for me as I usually buy unlocked phones from Amazon.
So, we saved $50 month and have an additional 4gbs of data.
Keep pushing if the rep at first says no.
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

Sorry if I'm being repetitive but I went through the screens on-line and it's quite a savings. Are you signing up for a two year extension?
java

Post by java »

By selecting these plans you are moving off contract. The big change would be if you need a new phone ATT wont subsidize it. You will pay full retail price.
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

jfn111 wrote:Sorry if I'm being repetitive but I went through the screens on-line and it's quite a savings. Are you signing up for a two year extension?
No, there is no contract with the new plans! T-Mobile has made a big deal over their new, no-contract pricing, and ATT has decided to up the ante. But as java said, you will have to pay the unsubsidized price for your phones when you upgrade (there is also a program called ATT Next that, I think, prorates the price of the phone, but I haven't looked into it). That means you will be paying the full $600 (or whatever it costs at retail) for a new iPhone, or you can get something like the Nexus 5 for half the price.
joebloe

Post by joebloe »

With the ATT plan you're not forced to buy their overpriced phones like the new TMobile plan. I tried to switch to TMobile but they wouldn't let me. TMo forced me to buy two new Galaxy S4 for $1300 and offered only $300 for my two new Galaxy S4! I said no way I'll simply unlock my S4 to use so we're even but they said no way...I must pay them $1000 for exactly same phones.

I switch to this ATT plan without spending $1000 extra. 2 lines unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB data for $105 plus tax.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

joebloe wrote:With the ATT plan you're not forced to buy their overpriced phones like the new TMobile plan. I tried to switch to TMobile but they wouldn't let me. TMo forced me to buy two new Galaxy S4 for $1300 and offered only $300 for my two new Galaxy S4! I said no way I'll simply unlock my S4 to use so we're even but they said no way...I must pay them $1000 for exactly same phones.

I switch to this ATT plan without spending $1000 extra. 2 lines unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB data for $105 plus tax.

You got a bad T rep. with T you can use any phone (BYOD) without contract and you dont need to buy any phone from them. Just get a free SIM and activate the plan.

T plans still beat ATT. :happy Coverage is a problem in some areas. :annoyed
oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 »

Be careful as usual AT&T isn't doing this out of the kindness of their heart. It will save money for some and not so much for others.
#1 you can only have 4 line on Next at a time. Lines 5+ either have to be owned or pay $40/m and get the normal subsidized price with 2yr contract

I am on the original mobile share with 5 lines 10gb data. So if I move to this new "value" plan my device access fee goes from $30 to $40. There is no way to get back to my plan. Confusing part is it looks like i'll be forced onto the new plan. They will eat the cost of the remaining contract and all 5 lines will be $15 each..... until we want to upgrade then things get interesting since we can only do 4 out of 5 devices if we chose no contract on NEXT and device 5 will be $40 and have a 2 yr contract. Or 5x$40 2yr contract and get subsidized device pricing.
Wannaretireearly

Post by Wannaretireearly »

My past few weeks experience:
Upgraded wifes phone to 5S (2 yr regular contract) paid close to $300 for the device incl taxes and upgrade fees etc
Switched her from a 2GB data to to 3GB plan - Big mistake cos they dont allow my corporate FAN discount on anything except the 2 GB or unlimited plans.
I had to call and rant about this being a bait and switch & they finally moved me back to the 2GB plan with corp discount (20% corp discount).
Be wary with what products/plans they push at the stores - I'm sure they get incentives to push whatever is good for ATT and bad for the customer (Rule #1)

My phone is a regular Iphone 5 - unlimited data plan. We share 550 mins. Pay for text messages etc.

Total bill usually comes to around $110-$120.

Now, with these new offers - I dont know if they would benefit me but I'm reluctant to give up the unlimited data plan on my phone. However, they throttle me at around 3 or 4GB so unlimited is no longer unlimited.

Would be good to know if any of these offers would really help me - so called ATT got thru to customer retention & got $10 of for the next 12 months so i guess im happy...for now.
“At some point you are trading time you will never get back for money you will never spend.“ | “How do you want to spend the best remaining year of your life?“
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

I love it !!!

I went online and changed to the plan that I wanted. In spite of what the CS rep told me yesterday, it went smoothly.
Now I am wondering if it changed my account so as to eliminate any prior contracts.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

I see quite a few people here are excited about these new plans. But I have to wonder what happens when you need a new phone. For my family of four, I've found that phones tend to last about 24 months, give or take six months. None of our four previous phones worked after 30 months last time. So you save money each month but then have to pay $500+ for your next smartphone? I got my Samsung S4 for $99 and I see they are offering them "free" now. Yes, I fully realize those prices are subsidized by higher monthly rates, but I'm wondering which way is really best over time as you periodically replace phones.

And, yes, I know many will come back and say "I've had the same phone for 4 years and it works fine". Great. But that hasn't been my experience. It seems to me the phones are built to last right around two years and then they break, brick or become slow as molasses. I am a fairly gentle user, but my last phone bricked at 26 months and was completely unusable and couldn't be reset. Same with my wife's phone (different brand) after 24 months. My kids' phones were falling apart well before two years but I made them nurse them along until the two years were up (they are harder on the phones than my wife and I).

I'm not disparaging anyone who really thinks these new plans are a better deal. I'm just trying to get a handle on what is really better in the long run.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
fangfish

Post by fangfish »

We are current AT&T wireless customers. Called and changed to this new plan with the 10GB data. Very easy. It did not restart our 2 year contract, and it will save us about $30 per month.
SarasotaJohn

Post by SarasotaJohn »

ejvyas wrote:You got a bad T rep. with T you can use any phone (BYOD) without contract and you dont need to buy any phone from them. Just get a free SIM and activate the plan.

T plans still beat ATT. :happy Coverage is a problem in some areas. :annoyed
Exactly. I never spoke to a rep, I just ordered the two sim cards needed to switch our iphones from AT&T to T-mobile, set up the accounts online, and was done. We can't beat $30 each for unlimited web and text, and 100 mins per month per line. $60 bill when we were paying AT&T 130+ out of contract. Even if we had to replace one of the phones and pay it over 24 months our monthly bill is still lower than AT&T.

Now the T-mobile coverage isn't the best, I have considered switching one of our phones to straight talk $45 unlimited everything a month. Still the $75/month for two phones is better than our AT&T option.
CyLaw

Post by CyLaw »

deanbrew wrote: I got my Samsung S4 for $99 and I see they are offering them "free" now. Yes, I fully realize those prices are subsidized by higher monthly rates, but I'm wondering which way is really best over time as you periodically replace phones.
The new plans save me $25 per month per line. Over a 2 year period, that is $600 per line. If I wanted an S4, I could get the international version on amazon for ~$530. Alternatively, I could get a nexus 5 or moto x for about $330.

Additionally, the S4 is free at some places (it is still around $200 from AT&T directly) right now because they are trying to get rid of stock before the S5 is announced in a few weeks. If I wanted an S4, I would likely just wait a few weeks and get a slightly used one from someone else for considerably less than the $600 I would be shelling out to stay on contract.

Now that I get a benefit from not being on contract, I will tend to look at phones like I look at cars: let someone else eat the first year of depreciation.

That's my plan at least.
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

Now that ATT is on board with these bring-your-own-device plans, many more people are going to see how much they can save by getting a cheaper phone, so I imagine we're going to start seeing much more competition on that front. I read an article recently that examined iPhone pricing and how much Apple benefits from the subsidy because people find the phone not to be a good value when they have to pay full price, even though that is essentially what they are doing with a contract. And that's especially the case when companies like Google offer excellent phones, with arguably better features, for half the price. So I think this will be a game changer and the mobile market as we know it, with expensive but highly subsidized phones, will cease to exist in a very short time.
bltkmt

Post by bltkmt »

deanbrew wrote:I see quite a few people here are excited about these new plans. But I have to wonder what happens when you need a new phone. For my family of four, I've found that phones tend to last about 24 months, give or take six months. None of our four previous phones worked after 30 months last time. So you save money each month but then have to pay $500+ for your next smartphone? I got my Samsung S4 for $99 and I see they are offering them "free" now. Yes, I fully realize those prices are subsidized by higher monthly rates, but I'm wondering which way is really best over time as you periodically replace phones.

And, yes, I know many will come back and say "I've had the same phone for 4 years and it works fine". Great. But that hasn't been my experience. It seems to me the phones are built to last right around two years and then they break, brick or become slow as molasses. I am a fairly gentle user, but my last phone bricked at 26 months and was completely unusable and couldn't be reset. Same with my wife's phone (different brand) after 24 months. My kids' phones were falling apart well before two years but I made them nurse them along until the two years were up (they are harder on the phones than my wife and I).

I'm not disparaging anyone who really thinks these new plans are a better deal. I'm just trying to get a handle on what is really better in the long run.
This is exactly how I feel. My wife and teenage sons go through phones just about exactly every two years. So am I saving $30/month now to spend $600 on each new iPhone in 2 years?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

bltkmt wrote:
This is exactly how I feel. My wife and teenage sons go through phones just about exactly every two years. So am I saving $30/month now to spend $600 on each new iPhone in 2 years?
And if you drop a phone in a toilet, you can kill it after one month.
The few cell phones I've had lastest three years or more and I upgraded to get better technology.
Anyhow, the concept of unlocked phones and no-contract prepaid plans really should be the Boglehead approach to this topic...
Attempted new signature...
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

bltkmt wrote:This is exactly how I feel. My wife and teenage sons go through phones just about exactly every two years. So am I saving $30/month now to spend $600 on each new iPhone in 2 years?
Why would you prefer to pay the phone company an extra $600 over 2 years and be locked into a contract? At least by saving $25/month, the money stays in your pocket and you can decide whether to spend $600 on a new iPhone or instead pay $300 for a Nexus 5 and pocket $300. And if another company offers something better, you can switch at any time because you're not locked in. Plus, like I said earlier, if you really want to pay the phone company an extra $25/month or whatever for your phone, then ATT has a program called ATT Next.
Texas hold em71

Post by Texas hold em71 »

Cash wrote:Now that ATT is on board with these bring-your-own-device plans, many more people are going to see how much they can save by getting a cheaper phone, so I imagine we're going to start seeing much more competition on that front. I read an article recently that examined iPhone pricing and how much Apple benefits from the subsidy because people find the phone not to be a good value when they have to pay full price, even though that is essentially what they are doing with a contract. And that's especially the case when companies like Google offer excellent phones, with arguably better features, for half the price. So I think this will be a game changer and the mobile market as we know it, with expensive but highly subsidized phones, will cease to exist in a very short time.
This^

+1

We have quite an "investment" in ITunes that somewhat tethers us to Apple, though. I am sure we are not alone.

My DH still has "unlimited data" and so far that has prevented us from changing our plans. We will check these out to see if it is worth it to make the switch.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Cash wrote:
bltkmt wrote:This is exactly how I feel. My wife and teenage sons go through phones just about exactly every two years. So am I saving $30/month now to spend $600 on each new iPhone in 2 years?
Why would you prefer to pay the phone company an extra $600 over 2 years and be locked into a contract? At least by saving $25/month, the money stays in your pocket and you can decide whether to spend $600 on a new iPhone or instead pay $300 for a Nexus 5 and pocket $300. And if another company offers something better, you can switch at any time because you're not locked in. .
I'm in favor of simplifying things and making all of the pricing more transparent. I'll need to spend some time this weekend looking at the plans and seeing how they shake out. We currently have four smartphones on AT&T's Mobile Share 10GB plan. Paying $250 per month and about six to 12 months into the contracts for the four phones. How would the new plans work for us?
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

deanbrew wrote:
Cash wrote:
Why would you prefer to pay the phone company an extra $600 over 2 years and be locked into a contract? At least by saving $25/month, the money stays in your pocket and you can decide whether to spend $600 on a new iPhone or instead pay $300 for a Nexus 5 and pocket $300. And if another company offers something better, you can switch at any time because you're not locked in. .
I'm in favor of simplifying things and making all of the pricing more transparent. I'll need to spend some time this weekend looking at the plans and seeing how they shake out. We currently have four smartphones on AT&T's Mobile Share 10GB plan. Paying $250 per month and about six to 12 months into the contracts for the four phones. How would the new plans work for us?
I think for the same 10GB, you would pay $100 + $15/line = $160. But you can get the exact pricing from your online account.
leod

Post by leod »

I did a comparison and we are paying more by moving to this plan for 3 lines (2 iphones and 3rd non-smartphone line for child) with the lowest wireless/data plans.

We only win out if we we do not upgrade every 2 years which is very unlikely as most of our smartphones tend to die after 2 years.

Customers who use higher data wins out on this deal though.
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

The Wizard wrote:
bltkmt wrote:
And if you drop a phone in a toilet, you can kill it after one month.
The few cell phones I've had lastest three years or more and I upgraded to get better technology.
Anyhow, the concept of unlocked phones and no-contract prepaid plans really should be the Boglehead approach to this topic...

Indeed. I made the switch to Virgin Mobile late last year. No unlocked phones, but at least no-contract, prepaid, and cheaper. Black Friday deals on two GS3 phones (not the latest and greatest, I know) for $200/phone, now just costing us $70/month for two smartphones with no additional taxes. The newest iPhones would've been a mere $60/month for two plans, but a big chunk of change for the phones. Even though we had an older, cheaper AT&T contract plan with a corporate discount, we were still paying $115/month after taxes with no text messages.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
ThatGuy

Post by ThatGuy »

I'm surprised that so many people wear out their phones in 2 years or less. How are you doing this? Shouldn't the electronics tend to keep working, even if the battery doesn't hold as much charge?

My (rooted) Nexus S still works just fine.
Work is the curse of the drinking class - Oscar Wilde
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

ThatGuy wrote:I'm surprised that so many people wear out their phones in 2 years or less. How are you doing this? Shouldn't the electronics tend to keep working, even if the battery doesn't hold as much charge?

My (rooted) Nexus S still works just fine.
Well, iphone batteries are not replaceable without significant effort and cost, and my wife's last iphone wouldn't hold a half day's charge near the end. Plus, it started getting buggy when it neared the two-year mark. My previous HTC's battery was still quite good, but the phone froze up like a brick at 27 months and it wasn't even possible to factory reset it. My kids are admittedly hard on phones, and theirs had numerous problems related to buttons, screens and other issues well before two years.

FWIW, a quick web search found the following: A tech company (Recon Analytics) did a study a couple years ago and found that the average lifespan of a smartphone is 21 months. This figure includes phones that were damaged by dropping and water, but still seems indicative. The Environmental Literacy Council found an average lifespan of 18 months, including damage.

I would guess that some people damage a working phone before two years are up, and others get lucky and have phones that last three or four years. But my personal experience indicates 18 to 30 months as a typical useful lifespan for a smartphone. Frankly, I don't think it's ridiculous to think manufacturers design the phones to last right around the typical two year contract period.
2wolves

Post by 2wolves »

oakfan52 wrote:Be careful as usual AT&T isn't doing this out of the kindness of their heart. It will save money for some and not so much for others.
#1 you can only have 4 line on Next at a time. Lines 5+ either have to be owned or pay $40/m and get the normal subsidized price with 2yr contract

I am on the original mobile share with 5 lines 10gb data. So if I move to this new "value" plan my device access fee goes from $30 to $40. There is no way to get back to my plan. Confusing part is it looks like i'll be forced onto the new plan. They will eat the cost of the remaining contract and all 5 lines will be $15 each..... until we want to upgrade then things get interesting since we can only do 4 out of 5 devices if we chose no contract on NEXT and device 5 will be $40 and have a 2 yr contract. Or 5x$40 2yr contract and get subsidized device pricing.
I also pay $30 per additional line. Seems like a good deal if you are paying $40. But at $30, it's not so clear.
investingholder

Post by investingholder »

I just wanted to say thank you to the OP. I changed our plan and we are saving a bit money for more data and text, and more importantly - no longer on contract.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

You know, it appears to make sense to switch, but it's not exactly a no-brainer bargain. I can save $80 a month on my bill (four phones), which is great. I already have 10GB of shared data, so that wouldn't change. But I will have to pay full price for replacement phones. So, I save $20 a month per phone for the next 18 months remaining on my contract, which equates to $360 per line. But that's less than the price difference between the cost of a new phone without a contract ($500 to $600 for a Samsung S4 or Iphone) vs. the price with a new two-year contract ($0 to $150). So, it seems to me that there is an obvious break-even point of around 20-26 months.

I'm not sure I'll save enough over the next 18 months to make it worthwhile. This new plan seems most advantageous for people who have just gotten new "subsidized" phones within the past couple of months, and substantially less so for anyone nearing the end of their contract who would get new phones for $0 to $100. I fall in the middle. The open question is what will AT&T do with phone prices and subsidies 18 to 24 months in the future. Frankly, I don't see subsidies or 0% loans going away, because how many people will want to or be able to pony up $500-$600 for a new phone when their old one craps out.

I'm interested to read other thoughts.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

I'd recommend that anyone, on any plan, periodically check the updated offerings for better deals. I think I was of the mindset that I had a good deal, that I was like "grandfathered" on T-Mobile's old version. But when I needed to change the web access for my mom's phone (I now pay back years and years of back-breaking work rearing me into a productive member of society by footing the $10/mo bill to add her to our plan), I found that their current plans were actually better than what I had.

Re: BYO phone. One thing that I notice. Most top-notch phones aren't at all free after carrier subsidy. They really end up about $200 or more. Yet I have friends who treat it like a free phone. Meanwhile, I hem and haw about whether to buy a Nexus 5 ($350) or a Samsung Galaxy Light ($150!!) or keep my exceedingly slow but fairly reliable Samsung Galaxy Exhibit. That's clearly aside from the fact that our monthly costs are massively lower than theirs. Once you get out of the mindset of the carrier subsidy, you're likely to save a lot of money, but you're also likely to overthink it, and end up with a slower phone.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
ergray3

Post by ergray3 »

I haven't seen anyone mention selling last year's model on eBay. I've been on unsubsidized phones for a few years, and I've been able to get the newest iPhone either lightly used or brand new and then sell the year-old model for 350-400 on eBay. This nets a cost close to the subsidized price if you take care of your phone, keep the box and make an attractive eBay post. I know some people don't care if they have the latest phone but I'm an early adopter of Apple gear and have found this to be the best way to keep a new phone in my pocket for the price.

My plan situation is unique in that we have a very old Verizon (rural coverage) plan that is priced well below current data plans and is still unlimited, so until they force us off it my family has been buying unsubsidized phones. So added to the cost of the plan I don't know if this is the most efficient method to upgrade for other folks, but if you're just trying to keep a new iPhone in your pocket without a contract, eBay can make it much more affordable.
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

investingholder wrote:I just wanted to say thank you to the OP. I changed our plan and we are saving a bit money for more data and text, and more importantly - no longer on contract.
Great, glad you were able to save money as well!
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

deanbrew wrote:You know, it appears to make sense to switch, but it's not exactly a no-brainer bargain. I can save $80 a month on my bill (four phones), which is great. I already have 10GB of shared data, so that wouldn't change. But I will have to pay full price for replacement phones. So, I save $20 a month per phone for the next 18 months remaining on my contract, which equates to $360 per line. But that's less than the price difference between the cost of a new phone without a contract ($500 to $600 for a Samsung S4 or Iphone) vs. the price with a new two-year contract ($0 to $150).
When you add the $200 a subsidized iPhone generally costs to the $360 you save, you get pretty darn close to evening out, and you do it without signing another two-year contract.

This new plan seems most advantageous for people who have just gotten new "subsidized" phones within the past couple of months, and substantially less so for anyone nearing the end of their contract who would get new phones for $0 to $100.
Except that $0 to $100 phone would lock you into a two-year contract paying higher prices. As shown above, nothing is actually free.
The open question is what will AT&T do with phone prices and subsidies 18 to 24 months in the future. Frankly, I don't see subsidies or 0% loans going away, because how many people will want to or be able to pony up $500-$600 for a new phone when their old one craps out.
Exactly. Now that phone companies are making their pricing transparent, the question is whether people will knowingly pay more each month to get a "free" phone or whether they will instead decide, "Hey, that Nexus 5 does everything the Samsung does, but for half the price! I think I'm going to get that instead AND pay a monthly lower phone bill." My prediction is the latter--that we're going to see more competition on phone pricing.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Exactly. Now that phone companies are making the pricing transparent, the question is whether people will knowingly pay more each month to get a "free" phone or whether they will instead decide, "Hey, that Nexus 5 does everything the Samsung does, but for half the price! I think I'm going to get that instead AND pay a monthly lower phone bill." My prediction is the latter--that we're going to see more competition on phone pricing.
I agree, and while you mention Samsung and Nexus, but I don't think Apple will be immune if phone prices get dissociated from service. Of course, the fanboys will still buy a new iphone every year no matter what it costs, which should be some benefit. No matter how you slice and dice it, most of us are paying too much for cell phone service. It is far cheaper in most other countries.
siamond

Post by siamond »

+1. I switched our current AT&T plan to a mobile share plan too (4 users in the family, was a no brainer).

I don't mind having to buy the phones on our own in the future, this will open more choices, make us use our phones longer (if they don't break down), plus make the kids more cost-conscious.

I do see that shared plans might create some other side-effects though (one or two members or the family consuming without restraints), but well, same thing for water, electricity, etc.

FINALLY, some competition is starting to develop in the US between the mobile carriers, benefiting end customers, just about time... Thank you, T-Mobile!
Topic Author
Cash

Post by Cash »

siamond wrote: I do see that shared plans might create some other side-effects though (one or two members or the family consuming without restraints)
You can restrict data access to a line from your online account. I've never tried this since the only other user on my shared account is my wife, but I imagine it would be useful for kids.
siamond

Post by siamond »

Cash wrote:
siamond wrote: I do see that shared plans might create some other side-effects though (one or two members or the family consuming without restraints)
You can restrict data access to a line from your online account. I've never tried this since the only other user on my shared account is my wife, but I imagine it would be useful for kids.
Indeed, it would be useful. Except that AT&T wants to charge $4.99 a month for such 'service' of setting limits... Those marketing guys have absolutely no shame. :x
joebloe

Post by joebloe »

joebloe wrote:I switch to this ATT plan without spending $1000 extra. 2 lines unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB data for $105 plus tax.
There's new plan out tomorrow from ATT. 2 lines unlimited talk, unlimited text, and shared 2GB data for $90. I have never gone above 0.5GB so will try to switch again tomorrow. With 25% corporate discount, could be very attractive deal.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

joebloe wrote:
joebloe wrote:I switch to this ATT plan without spending $1000 extra. 2 lines unlimited talk, unlimited text, and 10GB data for $105 plus tax.
There's new plan out tomorrow from ATT. 2 lines unlimited talk, unlimited text, and shared 2GB data for $90. I have never gone above 0.5GB so will try to switch again tomorrow. With 25% corporate discount, could be very attractive deal.
It's not straight out $90. It's $40 for the 2GB base and $25 for each smartphone at no-contract pricing. There is a gotcha however. If you aren't eligible for the no-contract pricing (because you've bought a phone on 2 yr agreement too recently), it's $40 per smartphone. So really it's $90 for no-contract phones, $105 for a mix of no-contract and contract phones, and $120 for contract phones.

The price difference is in the base price. Previously, the 2GB base was $55 and there was also a 1GB base for $45. Now the 1GB base has been eliminated and the 2GB base has been dropped to $40 to cover that price point. I'm kind of surprised they didn't drop the 4GB base from $70 to $60 at the same time, because it looks odd that 2GB base is $40, 4GB base is $70 and 6GB base is $80.

Edit: Oh yeah, and depending on your employer discount plan details, you might only get that 25% discount on the base price. The discount might not apply to the per-line charges. So only count on getting $10 off (25% of the $40 2GB base price) and not $22.50 off (25% off $90).

Edit 2: The footnotes on the new mobile share page say that contract phones are eligible for no-contract pricing, but when I log into AT&T and select the upgrade plan option, it only says "may be eligible" and lists the default per-smartphone price as $40 (not $25). Make of that what you will.
Browser

Post by Browser »

What happens to rates with AT&T no contract plans if they increase? On contract plans, you've always been able to keep the same rate even if they go up when the contract expires, but maybe that won't be the case if you are on a no-contract plan and the rates go up.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
btenny

Post by btenny »

Well we are apparently unusual cell phone customers. We keep our phones for years. My wife is still happy with her IPhone 3S for texting and talking and so forth although it does not work with one of her applications that was updated. I just upgraded to a Blackberry from a old flip phone that is 4ish years old. But we did take advantage of this new pricing setup and it saved us over $60 a month. Our ATT price went from $150ish to $90. I got my BB from a friend and got it unlocked. Then we took both phones to the ATT store and had them update our connections and service. It took maybe 10 mintues to turn on my BB with a new SIM card and to change over my wifes' plan. We now are completely off contract and have all kinds of minutes and texts and ?? data.

I would have gone with TMobile for this revision as they started this good deal. But I had to stay with ATT as TMobile coverage in this area is poor...

Anyone else use a BlackBerry? I like the great BB keyboard for texting a LOT more than the IPhone. I tried my wifes' IPhone a bunch and never could get used to the touch screen for typing/texting. And the Q10 BB has a pretty good OS for texting and good dual cameras and a good display for pictures etc., so overall the phone is nice. Plus it has a removeable battery and a lot better email connection than the IPhone. Just thinking.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Try one of the newer Androids, and you'll never go back. Got a Moto-X and like it greatly. Get one now before the new release from Lenovo. Wish Google had stayed in the Motorola business. They know how to make a phone.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Another data point: I think Iphones can last for a long time. I've had mine for 4.5 years and although it requires daily charging now, it is still completely functional. It is actually 5.5 years old because it was a free hand-me-down from a tech-crazy relative who no longer wanted the phone.

My Nokia from 11 years ago (I call it The Indestructible) is still working, lol. Fingers crossed the Iphone will last me another 2.5 years and then I will switch to something else.
Onyxmeth

Post by Onyxmeth »

Browser wrote:What happens to rates with AT&T no contract plans if they increase? On contract plans, you've always been able to keep the same rate even if they go up when the contract expires, but maybe that won't be the case if you are on a no-contract plan and the rates go up.
You're not on a contract. You can just move to a different provider if rates go up. It's not something I'd worry about. There's a blood bath of a pricing war going on with cell providers. The pricing arrow is pointed down.
newkidontheblock

Post by newkidontheblock »

I had a pay as you go phone and a subsidized phone. I was paying $165 per month for 1400 minutes, 2 lines and unlimited data.
My data usage never went above 1 GB.
I was able switch to 2 GB shared plan with unlimited talk, text for $90.
I may even get corporate discount. It is quite a drop from $165 I was currently paying.
As far as concern about buying a new phone is concerned I purchased a Nokia Lumia 520 from Microsoft store for $80. It is an excellent smart phone for the price.
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

joebloe wrote:With the ATT plan you're not forced to buy their overpriced phones like the new TMobile plan. I tried to switch to TMobile but they wouldn't let me. TMo forced me to buy two new Galaxy S4 for $1300 and offered only $300 for my two new Galaxy S4! I said no way I'll simply unlock my S4 to use so we're even but they said no way...I must pay them $1000 for exactly same phones.

You can use your AT&T phones on T-mobile by carrier unlocking them, and getting a 10$ sim card for each phone.

Whoever you talked to was an idiot. T-mobile lets you do this, the individual employee was a moron.
Systems Engineer
Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 »

I'm paying 68$ a month using a 15% discount *anybody* with a custom domain email can get, from corporateperks.com for 2 lines on t-mobile

My girlfriend's phone cost 200$, while my GS4 cost 600$

Over the course of 24 months, that is 2432$ + tax (and her phone was tax free)

How does that compare to AT&T?
Systems Engineer