Airline "oversize" luggage -- how to measure?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Liam

Airline "oversize" luggage -- how to measure?

Post by Liam »

Wife and I have tickets on American Airlines for a February trip to Brazil. We will be taking about eight large bags (say, 29-inch-size) with the contents intended for others. We have not purchased these bags yet.

The issue is how to measure each bag so as not to trigger the $175 per bag "oversize" fee. American Air rep says use the L+H+W of the luggage, not counting wheels or handles. AA says any "lineal inch" (L+W+H) measurement over 62" equals "oversize".

Amazon has several luggage buyers who thought they were OK, then got hit with the "oversize" fee as they checked in their luggage at the airport.

Whom do I trust?

I am seeking your collective experience and advice.

Thanks.
ResearchMed

Re: Airline "oversize" luggage -- how to measure?

Post by ResearchMed »

For international especially, double check for any weight restrictions/overcharges.

And how many bags can you take for "free", and which would have "excess baggage" charges?
How would those charges compare with the "extra size" (or weight) fee, and would all of those fees be charged for an "extra and oversized/overweight".

For this amount of "stuff" for others, have you considered shipping as freight, perhaps not by air?
Do these things need to be there by the time you arrive?

RM
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

Liam wrote:Wife and I have tickets on American Airlines for a February trip to Brazil. We will be taking about eight large bags (say, 29-inch-size) with the contents intended for others. We have not purchased these bags yet.

The issue is how to measure each bag so as not to trigger the $175 per bag "oversize" fee. American Air rep says use the L+H+W of the luggage, not counting wheels or handles. AA says any "lineal inch" (L+W+H) measurement over 62" equals "oversize".

Amazon has several luggage buyers who thought they were OK, then got hit with the "oversize" fee as they checked in their luggage at the airport.

Whom do I trust?

I am seeking your collective experience and advice.
You can count on almost any 29" bag being oversized if the airline rep wants it to be. I recently replaced a 29" bag and went 25" for this exact reason - they're fairly safe, even with the expanding zipper opened, but you still have to watch the weight limit. My guess is that the 29s will gradually be replaced by something smaller as this becomes more of a problem.

We've all experienced traveling with a bag to a destination with no oversized fee, and then having a fee charged on the return trip with same bag and contents. Arguments won't matter - you won't win. Most bags aren't truly hard-sided these days, so if you're close to the limit it's up to the discretion of the person measuring.

Eight 29" bags for 2 people isn't practical, at least not if cost is a consideration.
dailybagel

Post by dailybagel »

I know this sounds silly, but could you measure your packed bags before departing for the airport, and then carry your tape measure with you to settle any borderline cases at the checkin counter?

The airline staff may tell stories about you, but as I like to say, "I've done a lot more for a lot less."
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I agree with the others. While a 29" bag is very large (at least in one direction), it's easy enough to do the math vs. the rules. I don't think an airline is going to argue over +/- 0.5" on a soft shell bag. However, in my experience, it's more about the weight than anything. My checked bag is ~25" and I can easily exceed the 50lb (or whatever) weight limit if I don't watch it.

That said, I think shipping the bags/boxes would be cheaper and easier than hauling them all over an international flight.
Topic Author
Liam

Post by Liam »

American Air allows two (free) checked bags per person, plus the usual two to carry on. The weight limit for checked bags is 70 pounds each. Additional checked bags are $75 each. Bags that are excess size or weight pay an additional $175.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

Eight large bags between 2 people is totally impractical. You really need to rethink how much stuff you are bringing for the family/friends you are visiting.

Does you airport still allow curbside check-in? Many do not - especially for international flights. Will each of you be able to maneuver 4 large bags through the airport? I'd also be amazed if you find any mode of transport that could take the two of you and 8 large bags from the destination airport to where you are staying. Not to mention that you will have problems getting through customs with that much luggage!

My recommendation is to buy two large bags now, pack them up as you plan to for the trip and take a test ride to the airport just as if you were flying out (e.g., park the car, grab the shuttle, get your luggage to the check in counter with one person handling both suitcases. Then decide if you could really handle 4 times that much.

Also be sure and get a luggage scale
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

tibbitts wrote:We've all experienced traveling with a bag to a destination with no oversized fee, and then having a fee charged on the return trip with same bag and contents. Arguments won't matter - you won't win. Most bags aren't truly hard-sided these days, so if you're close to the limit it's up to the discretion of the person measuring.
I have to say that is one of the more frustrating things about air travel for me: the inconsistencies with bag measurements at different airports. It's not just oversized bags, it's also with carry-ons. Sometimes they don't even want to measure and seem offended when you ask for measurements. Eyeballs are not measuring tapes, particularly not when it comes to telling the difference between 60" and 64", or some such similar borderline case.
earlyout

Post by earlyout »

Just a suggestion, but I think you should check the American Airlines baggage restrictions. It had been 50 pounds for a number of years and when I checked just now, my reading of their regulations is that the weight limit is still 50 pounds per bag for travel to South America.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

earlyout wrote:Just a suggestion, but I think you should check the American Airlines baggage restrictions. It had been 50 pounds for a number of years and when I checked just now, my reading of their regulations is that the weight limit is still 50 pounds per bag for travel to South America.
Brazil seems to be a special case for AA. South America is 50 lbs. Brazil 70lbs.
http://www.aa.com/i18n/travelInformatio ... owance.jsp
Wiki
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Have not traveled all that much, but never had anyone question dimensions of luggage all they seem to check is the weight. Even when my daughter took a trunk as one of her bags, they just weighed. Maybe it would be different if the item is not conventional luggage?

BTW, you may be able to just use a boxes, since it sounds like you are just transporting stuff one way and not too concerned about convenience (given that you are contemplating taking 8 bags weighing up to 560 pounds with you). Although, this old discussion talks about boxes being banned for South America at times: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american ... es-aa.html
Laura

Post by Laura »

I would guess there are family members in Brazil looking for some specific items from the United States and not just a traveler going with an excess number of gifts. With the exchange rates, Brazilians are traveling to the United States and buying huge quantities of things for less (including shipping costs) than the cost of buying things in Brazil. Look into cargo shipping. You can probably find a way to buy a partial container to share with someone.

However, if you want to go with the luggage method which gets things there faster and with you, the 25 bag is probably the way to go.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

killjoy2012 wrote:I agree with the others. While a 29" bag is very large (at least in one direction), it's easy enough to do the math vs. the rules. I don't think an airline is going to argue over +/- 0.5" on a soft shell bag. However, in my experience, it's more about the weight than anything. My checked bag is ~25" and I can easily exceed the 50lb (or whatever) weight limit if I don't watch it.
It's not as simple as doing the math. Very few airline policies specifically state whether outside pockets, handles, and wheels are included or excluded, and with soft side bags, the bags are usually "lumpy", so you can measure the worst-case (straight edge) or tape measure. At least the sizer boxes I'm aware of don't allow exceptions for pockets or handles or wheels, for example. The airline rep will make a call based on a visual guesstimate, and if they feel like justifying it, they probably can.
ryman554

Post by ryman554 »

tibbitts wrote: It's not as simple as doing the math. Very few airline policies specifically state whether outside pockets, handles, and wheels are included or excluded, and with soft side bags, the bags are usually "lumpy", so you can measure the worst-case (straight edge) or tape measure. At least the sizer boxes I'm aware of don't allow exceptions for pockets or handles or wheels, for example. The airline rep will make a call based on a visual guesstimate, and if they feel like justifying it, they probably can.
Actually, they do. Sort of. If you measure those new sizers (at least on United), you'll find that they give an extra inch in each dimension. As long at those pockets aren't overstuffed, it'll fit.

Rule of thumb -- unless you've got some sort of elite status on the airlines, don't try to push it. Leave yourself some room and you'll be OK.