Velocity Micro Computers

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dbc47

Velocity Micro Computers

Post by dbc47 »

Anyone have any experience with Velocity Micro Computers? I'm just starting to window shop and this brand caught my eye. I'll dig deeper when the time comes. The Vector Z25 looks interesting. :happy

Thanks!
Ged

Re: Velocity Micro Computers

Post by Ged »

For outfits like this I usually go to resellerratings.com for reviews.

http://www.resellerratings.com/store/Velocity_Micro

I like to see at least a 9.0.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

For a starting price of $899, I would expect a little more "oomph" under the hood. At the very least, at that price I would expect a discrete graphics card instead of using integrated graphics, or that a monitor was included if going with the integrated graphics. The H81 motherboard chipset is also very limited in terms of future upgrades (no PCIe v3.0, limited number of secondary PCIe lanes, only 2 USB 3.0).

I do like that they actually tell you what chipset the motherboard is and what brand the memory is, but it doesn't seem like the components justify the price. You could build the same basic system using retail and OEM parts from Amazon or NewEgg for about $700-750. You could get a Dell Inspiron 660 with an i5 processor, integrated graphics, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA drive, and a DVD burner for under $600. You could get a Dell XPS 8700 an i5 processor, discrete nVidia GT 635 graphics, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA drive, and a DVD burner for about $700.
pochax

Post by pochax »

i bought a velocity micro computer back in 2004...it was fine but only lasted ~4 years before it became obsolete on specs. spent $1200. you could probably get a lot more bang for your buck elsewhere.
jridger2011

Post by jridger2011 »

I would recommend buying higher end business models from HP, Lenovo, or Dell. The reason is they're usually meant to be on every day and last pretty long. If you deeply care about specs and want to ensure your computer can last another operating system upgrade, building one custom would make sense.
Topic Author
dbc47

Post by dbc47 »

Mudpuppy wrote:For a starting price of $899, I would expect a little more "oomph" under the hood. At the very least, at that price I would expect a discrete graphics card instead of using integrated graphics, or that a monitor was included if going with the integrated graphics. The H81 motherboard chipset is also very limited in terms of future upgrades (no PCIe v3.0, limited number of secondary PCIe lanes, only 2 USB 3.0).

I do like that they actually tell you what chipset the motherboard is and what brand the memory is, but it doesn't seem like the components justify the price. You could build the same basic system using retail and OEM parts from Amazon or NewEgg for about $700-750. You could get a Dell Inspiron 660 with an i5 processor, integrated graphics, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA drive, and a DVD burner for under $600. You could get a Dell XPS 8700 an i5 processor, discrete nVidia GT 635 graphics, 8GB RAM, 1TB SATA drive, and a DVD burner for about $700.

Thank you very much! I've been using Dell computers forever, but thought I might expand my horizons somewhat. I've already poked around on Dell.com and discovered the same thing. I"ll be the first to admit that I don't understand all the lingo associated with computers, but what you've provided me really helps.
Thanks again
--------
Thanks to the other folks as well that took the time to give me some feedback!