Did you have a Mid Life Crisis? [Consumer related]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
linuxology

Did you have a Mid Life Crisis? [Consumer related]

Post by linuxology »

Would anyone like to share here so that individuals that are a bit younger coming upon one can try to understand and avert the situation (or should it be embraced)? Feel free to share here.
livesoft

Re: Did you have a Mid Life Crisis?

Post by livesoft »

What happens at Bogleheads, stays at Bogleheads.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

When I share, I lie. So yes.
peppers

Post by peppers »

I thrive on rejection, so no.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
moshe

Post by moshe »

It depends on how you define "crisis" i suspect!

I am now in my mid 50's and about 8 years ago i quit a self-destructive corporate IT job to start my own IT services firm. Was that my "crisis"? I don't know but darn glad i did it just the same.

The wife, house and kids. Still all well and :happy ! thank g-d.

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

I went through a divorce in my late 40's. Financially, it turned out OK, a bit of a hit but I had sufficient work time remaining to recover nicely.
The experience did hone my cynical edge, thus helping me to fit in around here so well...
Attempted new signature...
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

What kind of mid-life crisis?

Crisis at work? Yes.

Wish I was 20 again? No.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Why don't you share? What do you feel is inadequate about yourself? Do you hate your job, wife, kids, or dog? If you hate all of them, give us the rank order. The kids are hard to get rid of, but you can get rid of all the others.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

The Wizard wrote:I went through a divorce in my late 40's. Financially, it turned out OK, a bit of a hit but I had sufficient work time remaining to recover nicely.
The experience did hone my cynical edge, thus helping me to fit in around here so well...
That would be a midwife crisis.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
pointyhead

Post by pointyhead »

I went through a roughly 3 year period of extremely heavy drinking, drank everyday and night, on weekends I was never sober, usually hitchhiked from bar to bar and had some really crazy escapades with several women younger then myself, I even bought a sports car (typical) and went on several trips that I really couldn't afford. However, I don't think that was my mid-life crisis as that occurred when I was 19 or 20 and I am 48 now, hopefully, I haven't reached mid life yet! :D
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

moshe wrote:It depends on how you define "crisis" i suspect!
And it also depends on how your define "mid life".

I don't have the benefit of knowing whether I'm over the hill or not, though I certainly feel that way at 37.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

madbrain wrote: I don't have the benefit of knowing whether I'm over the hill or not, though I certainly feel that way at 37.
You're not over the hill. You're still trying to climb up it. :twisted:

Keep plugging though. Perseverance pays off in the end.
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

cheese_breath wrote:
madbrain wrote: I don't have the benefit of knowing whether I'm over the hill or not, though I certainly feel that way at 37.

Well, who knows if it does or not. My dad seemed always very healthy until that pancreatic cancer took him in 60 days at age 67.
I have had HIV the last 7 years, that's my mid life crisis - a long one so far. While my doc doesn't think it will kill me, I do seem to be aging faster than I used to.
So, I'm not particularly optimistic about that hill. I hope my pessimism is misplaced.
moshe

Post by moshe »

madbrain wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

Well, who knows if it does or not. My dad seemed always very healthy until that pancreatic cancer took him in 60 days at age 67.
I have had HIV the last 7 years, that's my mid life crisis - a long one so far. While my doc doesn't think it will kill me, I do seem to be aging faster than I used to.
So, I'm not particularly optimistic about that hill. I hope my pessimism is misplaced.
I empathize with your feelings madbrain.

I am mostly healthy thank g-d but the reality is that this could be the last day of life for any of us and it is important for a person to understand how much control of life is an illusion.

IMHO the keys to happiness/contentment is living a meaningful thankful modest life. Be kind to others. Be content with what you have. Be generous with your time and money(after paying yourself boglestyle of course!) Always say please and thank you. If you don't feel happy, act happy....your happy feelings will follow (borrowed from Dennis Prager)

Wishing you a long, happy, meaningful life!

~Moshe
My money has no emotions. ~Moshe | | I'm the world's greatest expert on my own opinion. ~Bruce Williams
LowER

Post by LowER »

The Wizard wrote:I went through a divorce in my late 40's. Financially, it turned out OK, a bit of a hit but I had sufficient work time remaining to recover nicely.
Parallel universe….though still trying to recover nicely.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

No so much a mid-life crisis as a millennial opportunity. Around the turn of the century my company had a large project in Buenos Aires, Argentina.

After a few months of bribing, cajoling, and threatening engineers to provide weekly on-site presence, they made me an offer I couldn't refuse. 75% on-site over six months, a penthouse apartment in the most exclusive section of the city, permanent (driver, bodyguard, well connected) and luxury car at my beck and call, daily maid service, and $250/day bonus pay in addition to my regular salary.

Now consider that this is a city with some of the most beautiful women in the world. Add to this that there is a societal predisposition of younger women for older wealthy (especially American) men. Not that I was wealthy, but $250/day in discretionary spending and a personal driver of a luxury car can sure make it seem that way.

The crisis wasn't the life I was leaving (I was single), but rather the one I was going to. The Portenos are insane social animals, they eat very late (midnight on weekends) and go until dawn. However, my CEO told me my prime job was not project support, but rather international relations. I did my best.

Now you know why nobody would volunteer for the trips, Their wives were having none of it.
Hayden

Post by Hayden »

I felt the need to "do something," so, I got braces.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Couldn't afford it so I passed.
A fool and his money are good for business.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

I deny it but suspect Im having an ongoing midlife crisis for the past 15 years with an overexuberance for exercise. Whatever it is though, I'll take it.
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

Well, at about age 40 I had complete corporate burnout. I went into my own business because of it and learned a lot about life and myself....lots of tough lessons. Ended up going back into corporate life. There's a line I like "never make a major decision when you are emotionally very high or very low"
"When nothing goes right....go left"
travellight

Post by travellight »

I am on alert for it. I fear it may be imminent. I almost bought a Maserati Quattroporte (used, Boglehead style) but managed to dodge that bullet; also had put a deposit on a Tesla S but squirmed out of that one as well.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

"I spent a lot of money on booze, birds, and fast cars. The rest I just squandered." (George Best)

Not really, I lie. My wife wouldn't permit it, and I'm not really wired that way.

I did get tired of my flabby overfed suburban body three years ago. Exercising regularly (weights and elliptical machine) has really made a difference, physically and mentally.

So if I was to warn anyone of the future, it would be that being young can cover up a multitude of dietary and non-exercise deficiencies, until it doesn't :twisted:
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
topper1296

Post by topper1296 »

I turn 40 in about 1 1/2 weeks and I'm going with no at my job, but yes with my personal life. Never thought I would be single at age 40.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

madbrain wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

I'm sorry. I didn't know. I never would have razzed you if I did.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

linuxology wrote:Would anyone like to share here so that individuals that are a bit younger coming upon one can try to understand and avert the situation (or should it be embraced)? Feel free to share here.
Well, you asked the question. Why did you ask it? Are you in one now or want to be. Share yours, and I may tell you my long lasting crisis, not so much fun, beginning at 40 and finally ending (well, not completely) at 54.
By the way, I am thinking about starting a late life crisis. It may be more fun. I can afford it now, mentally and fiscally, even if not physically.
Last edited by Sheepdog on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I don't think so. I don't remember any "identity crisis" in youth, either. Perhaps I am just slow--I'm still not quite sure what I want to be when I grow up.

I do remember saying in my mid-fifties something about being "middle-aged" and my wife saying "If you think this is 'middle-age,' you must be planning to live to 110."
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I'm 70. I don't even remember whether I had a midlife crisis or not. Like a stock chart, the further away you get, the smaller each blip.

Have had crises, marital and professional, but by 40 things had smoothed out. So on the whole, I guess there was no midlife crisis.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Sheepdog wrote:...
By the way, I am thinking about starting a late life crisis. It may be more fun. I can afford it now, mentally and fiscally, even if not physically.
Interesting you should mention "late-life crisis" as I'm beginning a new transition after 13 years in retirement that feels suspiciously like my old mid-life crisis, although I wouldn't call it a crisis, just more like an unexpected transition into new interests. Maybe you should start a topic on late-life crisis?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
davebarnes

Not me, but the wife

Post by davebarnes »

My wife did.
A BMW Z3 that she bought solved the problem.
A nerd living in Denver
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Sheepdog wrote:I can afford it now, mentally and fiscally, even if not physically.
"I'm not as good as I once was, but I'm once good as I ever was" :oops: ....
Levett

Post by Levett »

A what? ;-)

Lev
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:
Last edited by stemikger on Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
midareff

Post by midareff »

I did and enjoyed it thoroughly. I was divorced and had gotten past some health issues and sorta kinda did like the main character in the movie; "Middle Aged Crazies" did. I hope I got the movie name right ... movie would be nearly 30 years old now. That Porsche convertible sure was fun, the compulsive dating not so much.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

VictoriaF wrote:That would be a midwife crisis.

Victoria
We had that when my wife's labor with our first son was 45 minutes start to finish, we had been coached that it would be hours.

We had to call EMS for an ambulance for she could not get to the car between contractions, and the kid was born in the ER at a hospital half a mile away. The ER staff was delighted, given the usual violent and critical cases they deal with.

For our second son we left home at the first twinge, and made it to the hospital with 20 minutes to spare!

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
alec

Post by alec »

I grew a "beard", then shaved it and started running. Having an affair is just way too much work.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!" - Upton Sinclair
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

Mid Life Crisis? No way! Never mind the convertible at age 30, beard at age 35, startup at age 40, sailboat at age 45, and cabin on the beach at age 50... :happy
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I don't know if I did or not. If it were something that was noteful I suppose that I would have remembered it, or was so minor an event that I have already forgotten it.

Maybe, (at age 69) I will have a midlife crisis in the future. I'll report back if I do.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Sriracha

Post by Sriracha »

Late 40s and nothing for me in that department. Yet.

My wife has a mild car crush on a Tesla, though. Boy, I really hope it doesn't develop into anything more serious. Anybody have any hints on how to cut that off at the pass, as it were?
Don't reach for yield.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

At age 45 I purchased an acoustic guitar and sorta taught myself how to play.

At age 47, I purchased an electric guitar and amp and had weekly lessons. Still cannot play well, but it is fun to turn it on and play, even 11 years later.

Ed
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

MP173 wrote:At age 45 I purchased an acoustic guitar and sorta taught myself how to play.

At age 47, I purchased an electric guitar and amp and had weekly lessons. Still cannot play well, but it is fun to turn it on and play, even 11 years later.

Ed
Wow!! How did you survive it!! It must have taken it's toll on your family!
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

alec wrote:I grew a "beard", then shaved it and started running. Having an affair is just way too much work.
I'm experimenting with shaving my head. My wife hates it, but some love it. I like it because it's super easy to deal with the rest of the week. I have a receding hairline but otherwise I have a full head of hair.

Years ago people would look at me weird, but today, half the guys I work with have shaved heads by choice.
goldendad

Post by goldendad »

No. It is way too expensive and way too much trouble. I asked my wife if I could get a Porsche. She said yes as long as she was in the right seat. We settled on a motorcycle (we dated on one). After 15 years with the bike we sold it last year. No regrets.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

My large conglomerate employer made me have a crisis when I was 45. They told me to move to a big city, that is sell a house and buy a much more expensive house, kid goes to a new school. After 2 years they told me to move back to the small city, that is sell that expensive house and buy a house, kid goes to a new school. Thereafter I had to travel a lot, i.e. in the US and 13 times to Asia and several times to Europe until I was about 55. I am happy that my family survived that hassel.
Leeraar

Post by Leeraar »

My wife hates it, but some love it.
Mid-life crisis defined in eight words. Good luck with that.

L.
You can get what you want, or you can just get old. (Billy Joel, "Vienna")
jfn111

Post by jfn111 »

I bought a Harley at age 45, then bought my wife a bike at 47. At 55 I sold them both and paid off the house.
wander

Post by wander »

None of my older siblings happened to face mid life crisis. They drive old cars their whole lives. It doesn't happen to me either.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Hayden wrote:I felt the need to "do something," so, I got braces.
On your teeth or legs?
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

JupiterJones wrote:
On your teeth or legs?
:P
placeholder

Post by placeholder »

JupiterJones wrote:
On your teeth or legs?
Trousers (for our British friends).
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

I bought some international REITS a few years back and am considering international bonds.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ