Time for a new dentist?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
PatSea

Time for a new dentist?

Post by PatSea »

I' d like some insight whether I should consider changeing dentist. I'm retired, self insured for dental, and have probably average dental needs. I've used this dentist for about 4 years, and I have never had a problem with the work that he does. His staff is friendly. So all good stuff, right. On the negative side, I have asked for a senior discount, but he doesn't offer one. But the main reason I'm considering a change is I always have the feeling he's trying to sell me something. An example is teeth whiteners. I feel like I'm at a used car lot. Anybody else have this situation? Also, if I make a change, how do I find a good dentist? I know I can ask friends and relatives, and that's probably the best approach.
donall

Re: Time for a new dentist?

Post by donall »

I'm not sure that I would change dentists on the basis of you were asked if you wanted your teeth to be lightened.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

They have to sell these things because they want to make these $200K to $300K salaries every year. My dentist was pushing gum treatment, though I had no symptoms. Then suddenly I needed 2 crowns with a root canal each though I had no pain at all, the root canals by an endodontist 40 minutes away. Cost would have been about $5,500. So I got a second opinion from my wife's dentist, who showed me on Xray that one tooth had no problems at all. I changed dentists.

You have to apply your own judgement. In your case I would simply say NO to tooth whitening, some toothpastes are doing that already.
Curlyq

Post by Curlyq »

Last edited by Curlyq on Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
1210sda

Post by 1210sda »

I too have had real concerns over my (former) dentist's recommendation.

Are dentists bound by the Hippocratic Oath ??

billern

Post by billern »

If the dentist is not too pushy, I don't know if I would change unless you can get a personal recommendation of another dentist in town that provides a similar level of service and is either less expensive or does not push extras.

I am lucky to have a dentist that does not push extra services. I think he is one in a million because dentists need to push services if they want to make more money.
furwut

Post by furwut »

I clench my teeth at night when I sleep. Used a dentist for years that never said anything about it. Then I needed a root canal and the Endodontist told me the tooth failed because of my clenching habit. Mentioned this to my dentist and he said oh yeah but nothing more. He put the cap on.

Shortly thereafter I switched dentists, for an unrelated reason, and the new dentist on the first visit, without my mentioning it, saw the evidence of clenching and the damage it was doing and recommended a mouth guard.

Now when I awake in the mornings my jaw no longer aches. Hopefully it is less that a tooth will fail as well. Is it possible the first dentist was not proactive because he hoped to gain extra income as each tooth failed and required a cap?
tidelandp

Post by tidelandp »

PatSea wrote:Also, if I make a change, how do I find a good dentist? I know I can ask friends and relatives, and that's probably the best approach.
Through networking. Make your needs known to everyone whose opinion you respect. I found my new dentist through a staff member at the gym. He knew someone who lived with the manager of a dental office. As part of my due diligence, I checked online reviews, spoke with staff member's contact, and interviewed dental office manager by phone. Finally, I tested practice with a basic check up and cleaning, all the while noting not only technical skills but also office policies and communication style.
sport

Post by sport »

When we needed to change dentists, we asked a periodontist for recommendations. He gave us several names. My wife chose one, and I chose another. We are both satisfied with our choices.
Jeff
YoungDentist

Post by YoungDentist »

As a dentist who prides himself in staying up to date with current literature and technique, I must say this:
Not all dentists and/or dental offices are equal.
Taking continuing education courses is often expensive and time consuming, but in my mind, is the only way to know I'm keeping up with current dental materials and trends.
Some thoughts and recommendations:
1) is the office you are going to up to date or out dated? (Have you seen the same art work and dental chairs for 20 years?)
2) visit the website of the office. Is it up to date and current? Look at the "meet the doctors" section. Is this dentist taking continuing education? Is he part of multiple dental groups (AAID, AACD, AGD)? Has he earned any awards or distinctions in these groups?

A final word and a situation I am passionate about. Many times a patient will switch to our office because they have heard great things or the current dentist retired. At the initial appointment it is not uncommon to uncover multiple needs that the patient has never heard of or seen. I understand that these needs surprise these patients and they may think we are trying to sell them care they don't need. I would hope this is never the case. Consider the following points:
1) digital X-rays are much more precise at detecting cavities these days
2) dental work does need to be redone every so often. It's just like the upkeep of a car (change oil, tires...), only this is your mouth and is an important aspect of your overall health
3) I always invite a second consultation by another dentist if you may think the treatment recommended is too much.
4) the more educated the dentist may be, the more current he/she is on dental conditions and available treatment options

I hope this helps.

Please inbox me if you have any questions about dentistry or the need to find an accredited dentist in your area.
reggiesimpson

Post by reggiesimpson »

Get your teeth cleaned at a Dental Hygiene school. They do a very thorough job and all work is checked by licensed dentists. Very reasonable cost. Further, check out dental universities in your area for further dental work.
Jim180

Post by Jim180 »

I would stay with him as long as you are satisfied with the dental care you receive when you have a problem. Simply decline any services or products that he may try to sell you that you feel are not necessary.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

My dentist is not selling me anything, they simply tell me. Half a year ago I had two fillings which the dental assistant requested, though the dentist of the day did not think I needed it. My wife at the same dentist also had 2 fillings. They probably then had filling time. This time now another dentist of the day simply told me I needed three crowns. What a relief, root canals were not required! So I bought a dental mirror to look at them. I have no pain, there are no sharp edges. I see no cracks, also not from behind.....Ha! Perhaps I will permit one which has a very big filling?
I wonder, is it required to keep dental offices happy?
tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr »

If you like your dental care stay with him. Unfortunately today everyone is trying to sell you something. Just say 'no thanks'...its your mouth.
“Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.” -Retired 13 years 😀
waterlife

Post by waterlife »

Some dentists offices near me are chains, in the sense that the dentists change often and seem to be employees. I think Coastal Dental is one of them. I believe that their prices are lower than most dental places. I've never tried one, but as my family grows, their prices become more enticing.
seamonkey

Post by seamonkey »

At first, I thought this was deja vu, but in fact, the original post was from a year ago. Well, now I wonder if the OP got a new dentist. Hopefully the OP will post again...

Actually, we should regularly revive an old thread to find out some long-term follow up. I think Click and Clack did this from time to time and it was thoroughly entertaining!
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

My former dentist retired a few years ago. He was strictly old school and only did the absolute minimum, even neglected some things in his later years (IMHO was on cruise control). My new dentist stays very current with the latest developments in the field and does excellent work. The only downside is she is really big on the up sell...
retire2044

Post by retire2044 »

As a dentist, I have enjoyed reading this thread. It is an interesting perspective, and I have learned from these posts. At the end of the day, it only matters if the patient is satisfied. I read one post about the dentist overselling crowns and then the next about the dentist not address grinding/wear that then required a root canal, then another dentist that suggested two root canals and the patient only needed one. There are some bad dentists out there, but I feel in most of these situations it was a communication error and not a treatment or clinical error. Some people want the best treatment (crowns vs excessively large fillings) and others only want to fix it if it hurts (only do root canal if it hurts, not if draining abscess into sinus). I am perfectly ok with both types of patients, I just give options and let the patient choose.

I do see second opinions in which a patient is told they need 10 fillings and they need none. It is disgusting to me. It ruins the patients trust of dentists forever, and I understand that.
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

On this year old thread IMHO It is time for a new dentist one year ago .

If you are not comfortable with your dentist, you should have switched.

OP let us know how it worked out.

I am always surprised by how some people feel cared for by the same dentist while the next person feels pushed to get $ 1000 's of services.

No, the dentist is not always out for your best interest and may benefit majorly him/herself to your detriment.

It is on you to sense what makes it work for you and not for what the dentist is selling.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

I really like my current dentist. he was recommended to me by a friend when I mentioned a horror story about my previous dentist. He is very much into continuing education and I have learned a lot from him about how dental hygiene can affect the rest of your health. It is now widely disseminated, but I heard about the issues of oral heath and heart disease from him years ago. He also checks under your tongue and checks your throat for any signs of mouth cancer, which none of my other dentists ever did. I have had to have some childhood fillings replaced and mentioned that I have had previous problems with the Novocaine not working that well, having to get a second shot and then being numb for hours before it wore off. He told me that it works faster on some people than others and suggested that I could come in early to get the shot, so that by the time of my appointment it would be in effect. It worked like a charm and was well worth getting there 15 minutes early.

He did mention teeth whitening once a few years ago and when I didn't show any interest, he never mentioned it again.
rsgdmd

Post by rsgdmd »

waterlife wrote:Some dentists offices near me are chains, in the sense that the dentists change often and seem to be employees. I think Coastal Dental is one of them. I believe that their prices are lower than most dental places. I've never tried one, but as my family grows, their prices become more enticing.
Please be careful with corporate owned offices. Low fees get you in the door, but there is a lot of pressure from the corporate side on the dentists who work there to produce as much revenue as possible.
davebo

Post by davebo »

I have a great, GREAT dentist that I've been going to since I was a kid. I feel like he is proactive enough to stop major problems before they start, but not so soon where I'm in there having work done all the time.

No offense to dentists out there, but I kind of feel like they have all taken these "How to grow your business" classes and are talking themselves into doing more work than is probably necessary. On the slightly innocent side, it might be the dentists with some digital image that can detect a cavity very early. I suspect the upside there is more for the dentist than it is for the patient. I guess I would ask, if they can't see it with that little magnifying glass/flashlight thing on their head or with x-rays, does it really need to be addressed at this point?

The worst dentists are the ones that have become "consultants" and will call patients into a separate appointment to go over what they'd like to do (most of which is probably unnecessary). In my mind, it just seems wrong for a dental office to "sell teeth whitening". Put the brochure on the counter and answer questions when the patient inquires, but don't go actively pitching it.
retire2044

Post by retire2044 »

davebo wrote:I have a great, GREAT dentist that I've been going to since I was a kid. I feel like he is proactive enough to stop major problems before they start, but not so soon where I'm in there having work done all the time.

No offense to dentists out there, but I kind of feel like they have all taken these "How to grow your business" classes and are talking themselves into doing more work than is probably necessary. On the slightly innocent side, it might be the dentists with some digital image that can detect a cavity very early. I suspect the upside there is more for the dentist than it is for the patient. I guess I would ask, if they can't see it with that little magnifying glass/flashlight thing on their head or with x-rays, does it really need to be addressed at this point?

The worst dentists are the ones that have become "consultants" and will call patients into a separate appointment to go over what they'd like to do (most of which is probably unnecessary). In my mind, it just seems wrong for a dental office to "sell teeth whitening". Put the brochure on the counter and answer questions when the patient inquires, but don't go actively pitching it.
It sounds like you have found a great dentist. I am sure your loyalty towards him has paid off in regards to your oral health.

I don't disagree that many dentists are business owners trying to figure out how to run a business. Whether or not they are talking people into doing more work or not is probably not going to change whether they are an associate or business owner. The upside for digital x-rays is for both the patient and the dentist. Would you rather have a cavity detected that takes 5 minutes to fix or wait a year and have it take longer? Maybe you are one of my patients that truly doesn't mind keeping their mouths open indefinitely, but most prefer quick treatment. So to answer your question, you can wait as long as you wish to fix that little cavity, it won't really bother the dentist that much at the end of the day.

Post by 123 »

I went to a dental clinic which was run by a dentist who had retired. It became a revolving door of "Dentist du jour" with someone new every visit almost. Then they got rid of the magazines in the waiting room and only had brochures and booklets on cosmetic dentistry options. They had a TV in the waiting room that ran a 15 minute loop program on cosmetic dentistry as well. I guess they scared most of their patients away. The founding dentist passed away and one of his children was in charge of the practice. Eventually they started to call me at work and at home and leave messages to come in for a check-up and teeth cleaning. After they called 2 or 3 times a week I found another dentist. They had run the practice into the ground. I found out later that the office relocated to a "Trendier" part of town and had Groupon offerings for teeth cleaning.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
Five Scoop

Post by Five Scoop »

Sadly, I am wary of all dentists. Since most don't accept insurance there is nothing to hold costs in check. At least with a medical doctor you are usually only responsible for a copay. They then get paid a contracted rate by the insurance company.

I went to a new dentist when I moved. It was a state of the art office in a "dental arts" building. The dentist proceeded to give me an exam and cleaning as well as x-rays. He came back and told me I needed 8 fillings. But the fillings were going to be computer designed. And they were going to cost $2,000 each. And it was not covered by my dental insurance. I asked why I couldn't have a regular filling and he said they would fail after a short period of time and I'd need new fillings. Then I was advised to have tooth whitening, which again wasn't covered by insurance. He told me not to worry because I could apply for a special patient credit card and be approved on the spot. I kid you not, on the way out of the office they were baking and giving out Otis Spunkmeyer cookies!!

I then went to my wife's dentist. He is in his 60s and does not work out of a dental arts building. He does not have a flat screen tv in the waiting room. And he does not give out Otis Spunkmeyer cookies. He told me he couldn't find one cavity. I told him about the other dentist and he said that these conferences and courses are all sponsored by companies that sell products that allow you to push high tech devices in front of patients (digital x-Rays, lights that show tooth decay, computer designed fillings) so that they think you are cutting edge. He said it's all nonsense. So, be extremely wary if your dentist is trying to sell you anything.
eschaef

Post by eschaef »

I am 30. I have been going to the same dentist in my hometown for over 20 years. My parents still go to him. My sister still goes to him, despite living over an hour away. He remembers all of our stories, and will chat about our the updates on the family ("Saw your Dad last month, he said you started a new job.", etc). I hate to think about him retiring some day and having to start all over again.
davebo

Post by davebo »

retire2044 wrote:
davebo wrote:I have a great, GREAT dentist that I've been going to since I was a kid. I feel like he is proactive enough to stop major problems before they start, but not so soon where I'm in there having work done all the time.

It sounds like you have found a great dentist. I am sure your loyalty towards him has paid off in regards to your oral health.

I don't disagree that many dentists are business owners trying to figure out how to run a business. Whether or not they are talking people into doing more work or not is probably not going to change whether they are an associate or business owner. The upside for digital x-rays is for both the patient and the dentist. Would you rather have a cavity detected that takes 5 minutes to fix or wait a year and have it take longer? Maybe you are one of my patients that truly doesn't mind keeping their mouths open indefinitely, but most prefer quick treatment. So to answer your question, you can wait as long as you wish to fix that little cavity, it won't really bother the dentist that much at the end of the day.
I don't necessarily buy that all these small cavities are actually going to turn into anything. It seems that if a dentist chooses not to employ these high-tech x-rays that, it stands to reason, that at some point it would catch up to the patient. Yet for people that go to more old-school dentists regularly, that doesn't really seem to happen. It doesn't happen until they switch dentists for whatever reason and the dentist finds a bunch of cavities.

As with anything, I think it's all how you use the tools. I have an acquaintance that is a dentist and you can tell that he holds old-school dentists in low regard because they aren't using modern technology.
rotorhead

Post by rotorhead »

When my wife and I were considering changing from our quite good, but very expensive, dentist a few years ago, I asked my personal doctor during a routine consultation if there was anyone he could recommend. He didn't hesitate to recommend the dentist that he and his family used.

We made the change and have been quite pleased with the result. Aside from friends and relatives, ask your doctor.
Naismith

Post by Naismith »

To me, I worry about choosing the hygienist and then let the dentist issue fall where it may. I have borderline dry mouth and have to have a cleaning three times a year. So I see the hygienist much much more often than her/his boss. And if it is a good hygienist, they are going to work for a decent dentist.
fposte

Post by fposte »

Naismith wrote:To me, I worry about choosing the hygienist and then let the dentist issue fall where it may. I have borderline dry mouth and have to have a cleaning three times a year. So I see the hygienist much much more often than her/his boss. And if it is a good hygienist, they are going to work for a decent dentist.
That's my current concern. I really like my dentist, but his truly wonderful hygienist is out on health leave and may not be back. I've heard some reports on the replacement that suggest she might not be a good fit for me, so I'm starting to look around just in case.
ubermax

Post by ubermax »

I think there's a difference between pushing product and letting patients know in a low key way that product is available , the later approach can be a turn off - my wife's dermatologist has a line of skin products that are on display in her waiting room and she has mentioned it only once , her approach worked and my wife bought one of her products recently.

However I don't think I'd leave a good dentist for pushing product .
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

I ran an experiment a few years back on my dentist and the result made me really cynical. One visit he told me I needed to visit a periodontist for some expensive procedures and he warned that I needed to do it soon. He recommended his friend two offices down.

So the next six months I take extra care and floss and use a Waterpik and brush, and things like that. What I don't do is go see a periodontist. But on my next dental visit, I tell him that I did go see someone in the next city, just not his friend two doors down. He looks at my mouth, and exclaims that the periodontist did an "excellent" job. He says he is "astounded" at how quickly things have turned around, and tells me to keep on going back for periodontal visits three times a year.

So, these days, all I do is brush, floss and use the dental irrigator occasionally. My teeth and gums are in perfect health, I have had no cavities for 14 years. And I no longer take what dentists say at face value. I still go in for cleanings twice a year because there are always some random spots I miss, but that's it.
Shadow_Dancer

Post by Shadow_Dancer »

Yes, I know that “he’s trying to sell me something” feeling well!

For 30+ years, I had one dentist. He was conveniently located 2-3 blocks from where I lived, and the dental work that he had done for me and various family members had always been satisfactory.

However, as the years passed, I noticed the sales pitches from time to time. But, once he reached his 60s, it became worse – much worse. . . . Teeth whitening. I received that sales pitch three times. He kept explaining how he could remover those nasty coffee stains. Finally, by the third time, I had had enough. I looked up at him sweetly and said, “I don’t drink coffee. I have never drunk coffee. When I was a teenager, I had to have fluoride treatments. The stains you see are permanent stains from my fluoride treatments.” . . .Since then, I have never heard another word about teeth whitening.

But, that wasn’t the straw that “broke the camel’s back.” About two years ago, during an appointment, my dentist congratulated me, and he was overwhelmingly positive about the condition of my mouth. In fact, he specifically told me that I would not need a nighttime mouth guard. . . . On my very next appointment, however, I received a complete 360 degree reversal of what he had said previously. --I needed a nighttime mouth guard immediately, etc., etc. In short, nothing was right, and the sky was falling. Huh? I couldn’t believe my ears. So, I politely asked him to clarify himself, given what he had said at my previous appointment. He sat there and stared at me like a little boy who had gotten his hand caught in the cookie jar. He babbled.

Then, he finally suggested that I could get a digital voice recorder and record myself sleeping. And, not only would I be able to hear any teeth grinding, but, in addition, I could diagnose whether I suffered from sleep apnea --which took him into yet another sales pitch! His second sales pitch was for a new technique that he had recently mastered to treat sleep apnea. . . . I do not have sleep apnea. I know how sleep apnea is properly diagnosed by a physician, and the word, disgusted, does not even begin to describe how I was feeling by the end of my appointment.

Needless to say, I found myself a new dentist. Actually, she works in the same practice that he does. But, so far, so good. . . . And, I should add that she has a tastefully done announcement posted to her office wall which reads: If you have been medically diagnosed with sleep apnea, please ask me about a new treatment technique which may be an option for you.”

Enough said.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

Dentists are on every corner....find a new one if you don't like yours. As for the senior citizens discount....why do people expect discounts just because they're old? Senior citizens have had their entire lives to save for this!

The comments are very interesting. I am most fascinated how consumers approach dentistry differently from medical care because of financial differences. Historically, medical insurance has covered a large part of medical treatment (although this is changing), while dentistry has been largely out-of-pocket. You never hear anyone say, "my MD told me I have high blood pressure and is trying to sell me a stress test and blood pressure pills. I feel fine so he must be lying and trying to buy a boat."
likegarden wrote:They have to sell these things because they want to make these $200K to $300K salaries every year.
Good point. Unlike other industries, Dentists are forbidden to work more and make more money to pay off their ~$300,000 loans sooner. What are they thinking? :oops:
Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest »

toofache32 wrote:Dentists are on every corner....find a new one if you don't like yours. As for the senior citizens discount....why do people expect discounts just because they're old? Senior citizens have had their entire lives to save for this!

The comments are very interesting. I am most fascinated how consumers approach dentistry differently from medical care because of financial differences. Historically, medical insurance has covered a large part of medical treatment (although this is changing), while dentistry has been largely out-of-pocket. You never hear anyone say, "my MD told me I have high blood pressure and is trying to sell me a stress test and blood pressure pills. I feel fine so he must be lying and trying to buy a boat."
likegarden wrote:They have to sell these things because they want to make these $200K to $300K salaries every year.
Good point. Unlike other industries, Dentists are forbidden to work more and make more money to pay off their ~$300,000 loans sooner. What are they thinking? :oops:
Dentists have a Hippocratic oath; are they more or less ethical than doctors?

Are doctors given a free out of jail card because you are more dependent on doctors, because most doctors take insurance and you have only one life but have 32 teeth to spare ?
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

I have no idea what that means. I also have no idea how tooth whitening violates a one-sided oath which was created in an era when people actually paid their bills?
WCF

Post by WCF »

I've been to the same dentist for years who I liked very much. Professional, humble guy. I never felt like i was listening to a salesman.

But I've moved to a different town and needed to find a new dentist. I looked for reviews online before booking an appointment and finally chose a small office with good reviews. I was pretty surprised to hear him say I needed a crown and a filling... I'm the kind of person that brushes after every meal and flosses once a day. I suppose it is possible that I truly need these things, but it caught me off guard.

I admit it could have been just his delivery, but I felt like I was being sold instead of educated. He emphasized all the options I could buy, favoring the pricier ones, and spoke as if inaction was not even an option. Instead of making sure I understood and felt comfortable with his suggested procedures, he spoke more about their costs and what my insurance would cover. I didn't feel 100% confident that I truly needed some of the things he was talking about.

I'm being a little nitpicky though, just thought my experience related a bit to this thread. His staff was friendly and I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt since he was able to answer my questions competently.
anonyvestor

Post by anonyvestor »

I don't see this as an issue for whitening - as long as it is being promoted as a service, rather than somehow a necessity.

But what will you think when more significant dental work is recommended?

You will either need to find a dentist whose motives you trust, or resign yourself to obtaining a second opinion whenever significant work is recommended.

I fall more or less in the latter category - but I have found that when I simply ask whether or not dental work is urgent, it often falls off the radar. Maybe it is not so important if it is not recommended again over the next few visits.
fposte

Post by fposte »

toofache32 wrote:You never hear anyone say, "my MD told me I have high blood pressure and is trying to sell me a stress test and blood pressure pills. I feel fine so he must be lying and trying to buy a boat."
Really? I hear stuff like that with some frequency. Not sure what it indicates either way or what difference it makes, but I don't see much complaining about professionals that's specific only to physicians or bypasses them entirely.