Bed sheets like they used to be?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Nuvoletta

Bed sheets like they used to be?

Post by Nuvoletta »

Hi, there,

How come older bed sheets (like hand me downs from grandma and my hubbies' mother-in-law) are so soft and wonderful with no pilling and I buy 400, 600, or 1,000-count cotton sheets year after year and they all fall apart so quickly? I'm talking literal, visible pilling of the sheets after minimal wear (a few weeks). Over time as I moved away from a twin bed in college to our king size now, I gave away those wonderful old sheets. Today I have one sheet left -- a top sheet my hubby's mom gave me that we use for the kids' play tents. It is lovely quality. That's what I want. It does not seem to be the thread count…is it the mix of fabric type???

I'm willing to pay for it…what about buying a hotel sheet? like I heard maybe Westin is good? I was figuring hotel sheets get so much wear and washing that they must have the quality I am looking for???

Bonus question…if you have an opinion on sheets, maybe you do on towels, too…I am also considering copying hotels by buying white towels next time around. My last towel purchase at BB&Beyond was a major $350 disappointment.

Thank you,
Nuvoletta
avmax8

Re: Bed sheets like they used to be?

Post by avmax8 »

We use the 600 thread count "Hotel" brand from Macys and have not been disappointed. They've worn well for us over the past 5 years. They make nice towels, as well.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

I think there are two parts to this question:
1) why do new bed sheets seem to fall apart so quickly?
2) why do old bed sheets feel so much better?

1) I don't know
2) they are old

The softest undershirts I have are the ones that are ten years old. I figure sheets work the same way.
Topic Author
Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta »

sscritic wrote:I think there are two parts to this question:

1) I don't know
2) they are old

The softest undershirts I have are the ones that are ten years old. I figure sheets work the same way.
:D interesting theory! It is true hubby's oldest t-shirts and undershirts feel wonderful (despite the holes and stains haha)
Topic Author
Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta »

avmax8 wrote:We use the 600 thread count "Hotel" brand from Macys and have not been disappointed. They've worn well for us over the past 5 years. They make nice towels, as well.
Oo! Thanks!
normaldude

Post by normaldude »

sscritic wrote:I think there are two parts to this question:
I have noticed this too. Bed sheets from 20-40 years ago seem smoother and more durable.

I think it's an industry conspiracy of "planned obsolescence", to get people to keep buying stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N2KLyYKJGk0
JimInIllinois

Post by JimInIllinois »

The weave and quality of cotton are more important than thread count. Percale weave is more durable than sateen. Long-staple cotton is more durable than short staple. Many of the reported counts are multiplied by the number of plies in each thread, so a 300-thread-count x 4-ply becomes "1200 count" sheets.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Nuvoletta wrote:
sscritic wrote: The softest undershirts I have are the ones that are ten years old. I figure sheets work the same way.
:D interesting theory! It is true hubby's oldest t-shirts and undershirts feel wonderful (despite the holes and stains haha)
They also make the best rags for dusting after the holes get too big (or they just rip apart), as they can't scratch your wood even if they wanted to.
Topic Author
Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta »

JimInIllinois wrote:The weave and quality of cotton are more important than thread count. Percale weave is more durable than sateen. Long-staple cotton is more durable than short staple. Many of the reported counts are multiplied by the number of plies in each thread, so a 300-thread-count x 4-ply becomes "1200 count" sheets.
A-ha!!!! This starts to sound plausible…as well as the planned obsolescence theory above. :) Thanks for the terms to look for…though still hopeful someone will toss out a brand and style name to save me the work of research. :) So far, I've heard Macy's "Hotel" brand above. But still wondering about a Westin sheet. Maybe I should try one of each.
goodenoughinvestor

Post by goodenoughinvestor »

There's a lot of thread count "inflation" out there. I now consider the word "sateen" a warning sign--the sheets we've bought that were so labeled have been low quality despite their nosebleed thread counts.
countdown

Post by countdown »

In addition to the advice of Jim in Illinois, look for sheets made in Italy or Portugal. They are the best!
Avoid China, Pakistan, India. Most sheets on the shelf these days from those countries. I think they are quite inferior,
Also check out real linen sheets. They get softer with each wash and will last generations.

Sferra is a wonderful brand, but very pricey.
Peacock Alley is very nice. I think they are made by Sferra.
Draak

Post by Draak »

I am very happy with my purchase of Charisma Egyptian Cotton sheets from Costco. I think it was $60 or less for a Queen set. They seem to be wearing well for myself and my adult children. The sets are 2 years old if I recall correctly. They are very soft and comfortable.

I purchased much more expensive, high thread count, cotton sheets from Macy's previously and they were stiff, so I guess a "crisp" feel. But they did not wear well, so I won't buy very expensive sheets like that again. Lasted about a year, were still very stiff, but started developing random holes for no reason I could fathom.

The Hotel series towels from Macy's are great ($30 per towel I think). The Macy's towels have been through numerous washes and are the same quality as when purchased. I've had them 4-5 years now. Go for the lighter colors. My rich chocolate colored towels had a bad reaction to my daughter's face cleansers (now I see that they actually put a warning on these towels). Despite the discoloration, the quality of the towel fabric is still very good. I would buy these again.

The Costco towels are okay, but not luxurious st $6-$7 per towel. The Costco towels seem to break down and get stiffer over time. Neither are a match to the towels I bought 15 years ago from Costco, which are still fine and having a second life with one of my kids.

I really wonder what has happened with quality products. It is really difficult to use brand or prior experience to judge current products. I've gotten caught with poor quality even at high prices in some cases.

PS - I also wanted to mention that if you are interested in down comforters, the Pacific Coast Brand is terrific at a very reasonable price. The stitching has stayed sound on this brand, unlike Eddie Bauer down comforters that cost a bundle more.
gulliver

Post by gulliver »

Nuvoletta, I have researched this topic extensively (and expensively) and I strongly recommend that you buy yourself a set of sferra "celeste" percale sheets. They are not cheap and very difficult to find on sale but they are durable and incredibly soft. Occasionally, you can find a new set on ebay at a good discount but i usually buy directly from sferra. The thread count is appx 400 but I have not found any sheets with higher thread counts that are comparable. The only trouble with these sheets is that you will find yourself very reluctant to sleep on anything else!
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Another vote for Macy's Hotel Collection. Plenty of good sales. I like how all of their bedding uses similar colors so you can mix and match to suit your needs.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Draak wrote:I am very happy with my purchase of Charisma Egyptian Cotton sheets from Costco. I think it was $60 or less for a Queen set. They seem to be wearing well for myself and my adult children. The sets are 2 years old if I recall correctly. They are very soft and comfortable.
We bought those same sheets in September and returned them, ours were prickly. They seemed silky smooth until they were washed. These were followed with some 600 TC Jenifer Lopez sheets from Kohls that were returned after they got full of pills in about a week. We then went with Veritex 500TC from Costco and are happy with these, they were $130 for our Cal King set. These are "mercerized" and I thought (hoped) that might improve the smoothness.

This seems to be new thing with sheets, prickly fibers. I think it is because thread counts sell sheets. We had this issue last time we bought sheets too, about 5 years ago. That was the first time in my life ever returning used sheets. Prior to that, I do not remember ever feeling that any sheets were prickly, with thousands of tiny fibers poking me.

Percale vs. sateen may affect wear, but sateen should supposedly feel smoother.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

I can't imagine paying $270 for a queen size set of those Macy Hotel line 600 thread count sheets (I need the deep fitted sheet). I got Fieldcrest 600 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets from Target on Black Friday for 50% off (normally $80, so $40). So far so good and much better than my old TJMax sheets. By my calculation, those Macy's sheets would have to be 3x better at minimum, and 6x better if I'm going by my purchase price.
BuckyBadger

Post by BuckyBadger »

gulliver wrote:Nuvoletta, I have researched this topic extensively (and expensively) and I strongly recommend that you buy yourself a set of sferra "celeste" percale sheets. They are not cheap and very difficult to find on sale but they are durable and incredibly soft. Occasionally, you can find a new set on ebay at a good discount but i usually buy directly from sferra. The thread count is appx 400 but I have not found any sheets with higher thread counts that are comparable. The only trouble with these sheets is that you will find yourself very reluctant to sleep on anything else!
Did I google this correctly? $675 for a king set? ($150 for two pillowcases, $260 for fitted sheet, $265 for flat sheet?)

Dear god, I hope that was for two pillowcases...
Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo »

NPR Radio in Philadelphia just did a whole series on the cotton industry and Planet Money T-shirts. I had no idea there are many different grades of cotton depending on the trash that gets inserted into the fibers during processing especially in third world countries.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

jeffyscott wrote: We then went with Veritex 500TC from Costco and are happy with these, they were $130 for our Cal King set. These are "mercerized" and I thought (hoped) that might improve the smoothness.
For comparison, I went to the Sferra (previously recommended) website. They have cotton, but I went all out and looked at linen. For a Cal King, flat $530 (actually any King); fitted $460; pillow cases $230 standard, $245 king. My calculator says $1,220 - $1235 for the set.

http://www.sferra.com/product/duvet-cov ... ssico.html
Kenkat

Post by Kenkat »

My neighbor once gave me advice very similar to what JimInIllinois gives - don't worry so much about thread count - look for sheets marked "Percale". Since we started doing that, we've had great luck getting soft, comfortable sheets that seem to wear well.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I have been hoarding my old sheets. I have some that are fifteen years old, at least, because I have not found any decent ones for a long time. I hope this thread has turned up some good leads, thanks.

Some of my old hoarded light-colored towels were looking less than wonderful in terms of color but still very comfortable, so I tried dyeing them with Rit brown(?). They came out very well. I wash them separately. I also washed them several times after I dyed them before I used them.

So much stuff nowadays is junk. When this started happening with clothes, I started making my own clothes out of good fabric, but now even fabric is junk.
Last edited by frugaltype on Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

sscritic wrote:
jeffyscott wrote: We then went with Veritex 500TC from Costco and are happy with these, they were $130 for our Cal King set. These are "mercerized" and I thought (hoped) that might improve the smoothness.
For comparison, I went to the Sferra (previously recommended) website. They have cotton, but I went all out and looked at linen. For a Cal King, flat $530 (actually any King); fitted $460; pillow cases $230 standard, $245 king. My calculator says $1,220 - $1235 for the set.

http://www.sferra.com/product/duvet-cov ... ssico.html
The Costco set actually comes with 4 pillow cases, so add another $245. :wink:
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

BuckyBadger wrote:
Did I google this correctly? $675 for a king set? ($150 for two pillowcases, $260 for fitted sheet, $265 for flat sheet?)

:-) :-) :-)
persimmon_tree

Post by persimmon_tree »

A while back when I was looking for basic fitted sheets only, I found the following at Amazon for a pack-of-6 to be of good value.
http://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Bedding-Fi ... 636&sr=1-7
Topic Author
Nuvoletta

Post by Nuvoletta »

frugaltype wrote:
BuckyBadger wrote:

:-) :-) :-)
You guys are always good for a giggle! OP here…we are in a fortunate situation of only needing a king-size fitted sheet + standard pillow cases, which may help us with the cost.

We've gone with the duvet + cover and no top sheet route because the top sheet was always causing problems…getting lost, tugged over to one side, etc. I get our duvets at Tuesday Morning or Marshalls and they both give me a thrill to change our "look" occasionally and don't seem to get the wear that a bottom sheet does. Keep the tips coming!!!!
bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 »

I love LL Bean sheets. Their 340 Thread Count Pima Cotton Sateen sheets are my favorite. I've been buying them for 10 years now. I know someone above said they didn't like sateen sheets, but I love these. Pieces are sold separately (another feature I love about these sheets) - I think a queen set ends up being about $200.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeT ... =Relevance
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

bungalow10 wrote:I love LL Bean sheets. Their 340 Thread Count Pima Cotton Sateen sheets are my favorite. I've been buying them for 10 years now. I know someone above said they didn't like sateen sheets, but I love these. Pieces are sold separately (another feature I love about these sheets) - I think a queen set ends up being about $200.

http://www.llbean.com/llb/search/?freeT ... =Relevance
oh, you just reminded me (by saying LLBean, which to me says "lifetime warranty"). I was talking to my uncle recently and he buys his sheets from Lands End. Lifetime warranty. He keeps the receipt (scanned I believe) and just exchanges them once a year or so.

When my Fieldcrest sheets wear out (hopefully 10 years from now) I'm going to look into Lands End (assuming they are still in business).
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

Nuvoletta wrote:We've gone with the duvet + cover and no top sheet route because the top sheet was always causing problems…
I know they do that all over northern Europe, but I don't see how people can live like that. It is too hot for me. When we were in Norway, I had to take the thing apart and use just the cover as it was too warm otherwise. I learned my lesson and brought my own top sheet to Germany/Austria last summer. My wife was happy with that set up, though.
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

Nuvoletta wrote: We've gone with the duvet + cover and no top sheet route because the top sheet was always causing problems…getting lost, tugged over to one side, etc. I get our duvets at Tuesday Morning or Marshalls and they both give me a thrill to change our "look" occasionally and don't seem to get the wear that a bottom sheet does. Keep the tips coming!!!!
A while back I found a set with a semi-fitted TOP sheet at BB&B.. It's incredibly easy to make the bed with and stays in place. In fact it's now the only set I use. BB&B no longer seems to carry it, but I found the same type of set here:
https://tryeasysheet.com/
I haven't tried it so I don't know if they're the same quality.
[(quote fixed by admin LadyGeek)]
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

jeffyscott wrote:
Nuvoletta wrote:We've gone with the duvet + cover and no top sheet route because the top sheet was always causing problems…
I know they do that all over northern Europe, but I don't see how people can live like that. It is too hot for me. When we were in Norway, I had to take the thing apart and use just the cover as it was too warm otherwise. I learned my lesson and brought my own top sheet to Germany/Austria last summer. My wife was happy with that set up, though.
I do the no top sheet also. I think it depends on what you're using for a top covering. There is a big difference in warmth depending on what top I use.

Women get colder than men more easily, at least our extremities do:

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/20 ... e_ask.html
Watty

Post by Watty »

Part of the problem is that the price of cotton really spiked in 2010 which caused companies to try less expensive ways to make fabric even when it is 100% cotten.

http://www.indexmundi.com/commodities/? ... months=300

(scroll down the page)

This is had not only caused the quality of sheets to go down but other cotton materials too.
strbrd

Post by strbrd »

Garnet Hill (garnethill.com). Excellent quality, and you can usually find something on sale if you'll put up with odd colors. I like the percales and the flannels. I was thinking they were expensive, but I don't think I've ever paid more than around $150 for fitted+flat, so compared to some other suggestions....
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Also keep in mind that when you get to the really high thread counts, many manufacturers use thinner threads to get that count, and thus, it is not softer than it's lower thread count cousins.

From The Truth About Thread Count...
In a quality product, the incremental comfort value of thread counts over 300 is very little. A 300 thread count can feel far superior to a 1000 thread count. Thread count has become a simple metric used by marketing people to capture interest and impress with high numbers. The problem with mass produced high thread count sheets is that to keep the price down, important elements of quality must be sacrificed, meaning in the end the customer gets a product with an impressive thread count but that probably feels no better (or even worse) than something with a lower thread count.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

My understanding is the quality and comfort of sheets is more related to the length of the fiber threads than the thread count. That's why long staple cotton seems to feel better and last longer than just any random cotton, it has longer cotton fibers. My theory is that older sheets tended to be made from longer fiber cotton yarns which would make them more durable. I have no clue if this is an accurate theory or not though.

Edit: Almost forgot to chime in with what I'm using: Target UltraSoft sheet separates (no sets) which is a 300 count percale cotton. It doesn't say if it is long fiber cotton or not. They are not very durable, but they are soft and do not pill. They're cheap enough to replace as they wear out. They also shrink a bit. Don't wash them in hot water unless you want to fight to get them back on the mattress. I probably should look for something better, but I am very particular about the feel of sheets. I find most modern cotton sheets to be too scratchy or stiff, but I also dislike the glossy feel of microfiber or other synthetic sheets.
ESK

Post by ESK »

strbrd wrote:Garnet Hill (garnethill.com). Excellent quality, and you can usually find something on sale if you'll put up with odd colors. I like the percales and the flannels. I was thinking they were expensive, but I don't think I've ever paid more than around $150 for fitted+flat, so compared to some other suggestions....
Another vote here for Garnet Hill percale. Reasonably priced and decent quality.
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

sscritic wrote:
Nuvoletta wrote:
sscritic wrote: The softest undershirts I have are the ones that are ten years old. I figure sheets work the same way.
They also make the best rags for dusting after the holes get too big (or they just rip apart), as they can't scratch your wood even if they wanted to.
They make good eyeglass cleaners too.
All the Best, | Joe
Jim Profit

Post by Jim Profit »

ESK wrote:
strbrd wrote:Garnet Hill (garnethill.com). Excellent quality, and you can usually find something on sale if you'll put up with odd colors. I like the percales and the flannels. I was thinking they were expensive, but I don't think I've ever paid more than around $150 for fitted+flat, so compared to some other suggestions....
Another vote here for Garnet Hill percale. Reasonably priced and decent quality.
Another recommendation for Garnet Hill percale. Did a lot of research and this is what we settled on. Good value for the money.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

BrandonBogle wrote:Also keep in mind that when you get to the really high thread counts, many manufacturers use thinner threads to get that count, and thus, it is not softer than it's lower thread count cousins.

From The Truth About Thread Count...
In a quality product, the incremental comfort value of thread counts over 300 is very little. A 300 thread count can feel far superior to a 1000 thread count. Thread count has become a simple metric used by marketing people to capture interest and impress with high numbers. The problem with mass produced high thread count sheets is that to keep the price down, important elements of quality must be sacrificed, meaning in the end the customer gets a product with an impressive thread count but that probably feels no better (or even worse) than something with a lower thread count.

Because of this, my thinking is the best strategy is to look for egyptian cotton and maybe pima/supima with moderate (by today's standards) thread counts, like 300-500.

Finishing (or lack thereof) which your link also mentions, seems to me to be the likely cause of the pricklyness that I have found to be pretty common these days. The finishing information is not often given, so mostly this just means if you sell me prickly sheets I am going to return them. The ones we got from Costco recently did specifically mention mercerizing, though.
countdown

Post by countdown »

Nuvoletta: Tuesday Morning carries a lot of Sferra and Peacock Alley sheets made in Portugal or Italy, at huge discount. That's where I buy them and they last years and years. They are carrying a lot of sateen lately, however, which I don't care for. Percale is best.

As for the Linen sheet calculation, true linen sheets can actually last 2-3 generations with proper care. Amortize :D

Here you go Nuvoletta....

www.roughlinen.com
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

I know exactly what you mean.

I gave up on the sheet games a few years ago. All the beds at my grandparents farmhouse were clothed in heavy, soft, luxurious, 100% cotton snow white sheets and pillowcases. They were laundered at home in a mix of hot water, detergent and a touch of bleach, then hung outside to dry. They smelled divine. The lasted forever and these were "middle class" sheets - not high thread sheet counts for the wealthy.

I don't think they're made the same anywhere now. After wasting $$ on inferior bed clothing, I gave up. I now purchase the cheap T-shirt type jersey sheets. They are soft and comfy - but only last about a year before they develop frays and holes.

I am not sure over time whether I am paying more or less.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
sans souliers

Post by sans souliers »

Stick with PERCALE 250 thread count, 300 max. All cotton, of course.

Thread count is an illusory indicator for quality. To get thread counts above 250 per square inch, the thread has to be thinner and thinner, so the individual threads fall apart in the wash. Sateen weave sheets are garbage.
Sometimes pessimism leaves me pretty well prepared for when things don't go my way, and pleasantly surprised when they do.
Carl53

Post by Carl53 »

Not exactly on topic but spouse picked up these flannel sheets at Kohl's. http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-c36510 ... d=94097021

While we've used flannel sheets during cold weather, these are clearly better than those they replaced. They are very soft and warm, so much so that I find myself dispensing with my top quilt. As an added bonus, let's say that my spouse finds them enticing enough to dispense with the hoody-footies or similar items pushed over the airwaves this past shopping season. :wink:
Nonamefirstaccount

Post by Nonamefirstaccount »

My mother has a really soft cotton comforter that she's had for most of her life, which when I asked where she got it from in hopes that they might still exist just because of how soft it is she laughed and said the only reason that it's so soft is because it's decades old. So much use itself will make sheets, comforters and the like softer over time.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JimInIllinois wrote:The weave and quality of cotton are more important than thread count. Percale weave is more durable than sateen. Long-staple cotton is more durable than short staple. Many of the reported counts are multiplied by the number of plies in each thread, so a 300-thread-count x 4-ply becomes "1200 count" sheets.

High twist yarn vs low twist yarn makes a difference too. High twist makes stronger yarn.
Jabberwockt

Post by Jabberwockt »

persimmon_tree wrote:A while back when I was looking for basic fitted sheets only, I found the following at Amazon for a pack-of-6 to be of good value.
http://www.amazon.com/Utopia-Bedding-Fi ... 636&sr=1-7
I too use the Utopia bedding sheets. The 100% cotton ones are great.
Minot

Post by Minot »

I love my bamboo sheets. They are marvelously soft, and my nightgowns sort of slide over them when I change positions. I will never go back to cotton.
takeshi

Post by takeshi »

Nuvoletta wrote:How come older bed sheets (like hand me downs from grandma and my hubbies' mother-in-law) are so soft and wonderful with no pilling and I buy 400, 600, or 1,000-count cotton sheets year after year and they all fall apart so quickly?
You're fixating too much on thread count. Focusing too much on any one metric on any topic is likely to lead to problems due to oversimplifcation. Do you only look at horsepower when shopping for cars? Do you only consider square footage when shopping for a home? There's much more to sheets than just thread count. As stated above, thread counts above a certain point (maybe 300-400) really don't mean anything as they're multiplying by number of plies to get such thread counts. You also need to consider other factors. Long staple cotton such as Egyptian and Pima don't tend to fall apart as much.

We've been really happy with the luxe sheets that we ordered from Brooklinen but their percale sheets also seem to be highly regarded. There are, however, certainly plenty of sources of quality sheets if you know what to look for rather than just relying on thread count alone.

See also:
https://www.brooklinen.com/pages/about-cotton
Abe

Post by Abe »

Maybe it's because they used to be made in USA, and now they are made in China. Just a guess.
Slow and steady wins the race.
Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 »

I purchased a set of Twin-XL sheets offered by Amazon Basic. They are 100% polyester microfiber. After receiving the first set, I ordered another couple of sets based on how comfortable they were.

I thought they might be too hot, or not breathe as well as 100% cotton sheets I normally use, but they are surprisingly comfortable.

I got them for about $11/set; now it looks as though they are $13.99 for Prime.

I have always been a cotton-snob, searching for the higher thread-count 100% cotton sets, but these sheets have changed my mind.

They wash up nicely, can accommodate thick mattresses, and so far show ZERO wear.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven then I shall not go." - Mark Twain
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

We've been using Target's basic sheets the last few years, they're not bad. About time for a new set though so will be checking out some suggestions here, thanks.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?