want to sell car with check engine light

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
newbie_Mo

want to sell car with check engine light

Post by newbie_Mo »

I live in PA. My old car has check engine light on that I know will not pass state emission inspection. I want to sell the car as it is. The state inspection is only valid until end of this month. If I sold the car after the inspection is no longer valid can the new owner get the title transferred? I do not have a trust worthy mechanics to take my car to fix that won't charge me an arm and a leg.
crake

Re: want to sell car with check engine light

Post by crake »

If you bring the car to an Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone they'll let you borrow the obd II scanner for free. This will allow you to figure out what codes the car is throwing. Once you get the codes you can google what the problem might be and choose to either bring it to a mechanic or tell a would be buyer what the issue might be. If you go into a mechanic with an idea of what is wrong you are much less likely to get ripped off. You might even find out the fix is easy enough for you to DIY.

Good luck.
Topic Author
newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo »

crake,

I have a OBDII scanner and I do some minor mechanical work myself. I went to couple mechanics and they gave me crazy quotes (for things that I know is not the problem, because I have already changed those parts). Anyway, at this point because of physical constrains I cannot continue to fix the car myself, and I don't want to pay the mechanics that obviously just trying to fishing instead of diagnostic the problem. I am going to sell it, but wonder without the inspection, will the buyer able to get the title transferred?
surfer1

Post by surfer1 »

You just sign the title and hand it to the buyer. I don't think it has anything to do with the car passing inspection, or even being drive-able, for that matter. You can sign the title of a wrecked car over to a junk yard dealer. It just won't pass inspection or be legally drive-able, that's all.

As far as you selling the car, I think it will be very difficult with a check engine light on. At the very least, you'll need to tell the potential buyer exactly what the problem is, so he can take that into account against the purchase price. He'll likely deduct more. Given that, why not just find a reputable mechanic and fix it first, then sell it for the blue-book value? If you really don't want to fix it, you could try calling a junk dealer, dealership, or even use it as a trade-in value (they sometimes take cars in any shape).
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

If it won't pass inspection in your area, you might look into selling the car in an area that doesn't have inspections. There are many problems (like a faulty catalytic converter) that are expensive to repair, but don't make a car unsafe to drive.

Not sure where in PA you are located, but almost all of Indiana does not have emissions or other inspections.
Topic Author
newbie_Mo

Post by newbie_Mo »

I have already bought a new car, so I cannot do a trade-in.

I will disclose to the potential buyer the code, it is "as it is" condition.
wander

Post by wander »

If your vehicle doesn't pass inspection, you must make emissions-related repairs and have your car re-inspected before your current inspection expires. Making these repairs will not only reduce emissions, you will most likely improve gas mileage and prolong the life of your vehicle.

Your re-inspection will be free, as long as you have it done within 30 days at the same place that conducted the initial inspection. If your car still doesn't pass the inspection, and you can show that you have spent at least $150 on emissions-related repairs, you may be eligible for a one-year waiver. In some cases, you may have to spend more if the repair is the only reasonable way to address the problem, such as replacing a catalytic converter. You must obtain an emissions sticker or a waiver from a certified inspection station and pass a safety inspection before a permanent safety inspection sticker can be applied to your vehicle.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I would consider donating the car for the tax write off. Although the benefits may be small it may be easier than trying to sell a vehicle with a known defect.
jeffyscott

Post by jeffyscott »

newbie_Mo wrote:I have already bought a new car, so I cannot do a trade-in.
Trade in is really just selling your car to a dealer. You can still sell your car to a dealer, without buying anything...just an option in case you have trouble selling it to an individual. The best bet would probably be a used car dealer that sells cars similar in age and condition to yours.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

I don't know what price you are thinking but it won't be worth much "as is". Check your local scrap metal prices or advertise it as a "parts car" for about double the scrap metal price.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

If you disconnect the battery for a while the check engine light will probably stay off for a while - perhaps 1/2 hour until the computer has logged enough faults to turn it on again. This is also why you should always take a used car on a decent length test drive.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The code must be something pretty bad if the OP won't disclose it. :)
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
dual

Post by dual »

Buy an inexpensive code scanner like this one available on amazon for less than $20:
Autel MaxiScan MS300 CAN OBD-II Scan Tool
Google the code and this will help you figure out what is wrong. Many times it is something simple like you did not seat the gas tank cap fully when you filled up or you need to change the air filter.

Once the code is thrown, it latches but with the Scan tool you can clear it and see what happens. If it is something simple it will not occur again. If it does recur, you can take it to a mechanic and have some idea whether he is being honest and charging a fair price.

The OBD codes are basically tattlers for minor malfunctions in the extremely complex emission controls and have little to do with the functioning of the car.
downshiftme

Post by downshiftme »

I sold a car with a check engine light that was always on. It wanted an expensive oxygen sensor replaced and maybe some other emissions system repairs. I just told the buyer what I knew so there were no surprises. Had I withheld information, then perhaps the buyer would be able to claim I deceived them on the purchase, but there is (at least where I live) no law preventing me from selling a car in any sort of drivable or un-driveable condition to a buyer who accepts that.

The repairs needed were too much for me to put into the car, and I got less for it than I would have had it been in perfect condition, but the buyer was aware and planned to do the work himself, so was happy to get something he valued more than me for a fair price. I could have asked a higher price if it had less miles on it, or if it were a newer model year, but I would never try to fake that information. Likewise, I disclosed what I knew about it's mechanical condition. I don't think you will have a problem unless you try to hide the condition of the vehicle.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

If I sold the car after the inspection is no longer valid can the new owner get the title transferred?
I wonder if google knows?
If the vehicle is registered in an area of the commonwealth participating in the Emissions Inspection Program, the vehicle will also be required to have an emissions inspection.
Do you know where the buyer that you haven't found yet lives?

I am trying to trick you. Registration is separate from being able to drive the car. The car doesn't have to pass the inspection in order to be registered in the buyer's name.

I can't help you more than this, as I live too far from an authorized agent.
Forms MV-1 and MV-4ST are not available online. These forms must be completed by an authorized agent of the Department. Most notaries, dealers, and messenger services are authorized agents and will be able to complete an application for title and issue you a temporary registration.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Disconnect the battery ... that should reset the light for awhile. The light could be on for as simple a reason as gas cap... see how things flow after you disconnect the battery.,
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

My old vehicle's "check engine" light is mileage based, only. And the reset switch is behind the instrument cluster. Only one more to go at 225K and looking forward to it. Could yours be that simple?

The simplest thing might be to donate your vehicle for a tax write off.

If you don't itemize and don't want the bother/expense of repairing, then that pretty much leaves disclose and sell for what you can get.

Or drive it to a recycler yourself. It might be worth something as an assemblage of usable parts.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Just had that very problem. Went to auto store. They put the scanner on it and recommended putting on a new gas cap; that is the problem most of the time. Was told that if this was the problem, it still takes a couple weeks for the car to reset the warning light on it's own. So they reset it with the scanner. Was told that if the gas cap wasn't the problem, the light will probably come back on in a few days. So far, so good. New cap cost $10.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.