How many folks have a dog?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
CherylHall

How many folks have a dog?

Post by CherylHall »

Hi all, love this board have learned so much. I am thinking of adopting a rescue dog, one that I have confidence in temperament and breed. Still a bit on the fence on adopting as its just me at home and I travel for work for a few days a month. Do the Bogleheads have dogs and thoughts?
jaj2276

Re: How many folks have a dog?

Post by jaj2276 »

I have two labs (not rescues), 3 yrs and 6 yrs. We have no kids (I'm 37 and she's 32). I had dogs when I was younger but went a long time (high school until 7 yrs ago) without having them. I'll never not have one again. Are they at times inconvenient and/or annoying? Yes, but I couldn't imagine not having them. To me, they're the strongest form of unconditional love.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Just got back from the daily 4 mile walk with the dog.

I imagine that the responses to your post will be "We have one or more dogs and we love him/her/them." I think you will get very few responses that say "We hated our dog and got rid of it."

If you travel, you will have to figure out who will take care of your dog while you are gone. You can leave fish and birds alone, but I don't think I would want to leave a dog alone. We take care of the neighbors' dogs when they travel. Some folks pay a pet sitter.

As for rescues, we have one, but you would never know it. We can't imagine why anyone would have given up such a well-trained dog. Perhaps the owner died or moved to Iraq or something? At least with an adult dog I think one can figure out its personality and behavior within a day or two trial period.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tbradnc

Post by tbradnc »

I have a German Shepherd rescue and in my 52 years he's the best dog-pal I've ever had. He's smart, learns quick, and has an excellent disposition. He was abused and in bad shape when I first met him at the Humane Society and I offered to get him medical treatment and foster him until he was well enough to be adopted. That was some years ago and he's still here. :)

Some people are animal people and others aren't - if you are and would like to get a dog please check out animal control and the humane society. I can't imagine buying a pet when so many are desperate for homes and will be euthanized if they don't get one.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I'm a cat person, though I don't have a cat right now.
Gordon
JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO »

Dog and cats here. We went 1 year w/o a dog when our elderly dog passed away. It was definitely easier to travel without the dog, but if you make arrangements with a pet sitter or a boarding place you trust it is ultimately not a big deal.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Two dogs, a cat and a horse.

We just walked the two dogs. They are terrific companions.
poker27

Post by poker27 »

My gf and I are newish dog owners (maybe 5months) and did get one from a shelter. The first few months were very tough with training and him barking and crying constantly, however he has been growing on me :). I'm not going to lie, it is a big pain to have to think about the dog before going out, or not being able to do something because of him. I live in chicago, so my place isn't huge, and it now has toys, dog bed, and a crate In the living room. Boarding is not cheap if we go out of town. There are certainly pros and cons, I'm sure if you get one you will eventually not know what you did without them... After you are done pulling out your hair.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

I'm not the biggest fan of dogs or "dog people" as I call them. If you own a dog you can't go anywhere or do anything without considering how long the dog can be left alone. Dog people are often difficult to make plans with, they can't stay out for more than X hours because someone needs to be home for the dog, and some of them always want to bring their dogs with them everywhere they go. Once I was kicked out of a park and once a restaurant because one of our friends insisted on bringing their dog with them, and on multiple occasions I've had people show up at my house with their dogs, which I don't appreciate. Want to go away for a few days? Who is watching the dog? Want to go out for the evening? Dinner/movie/show/bar/dancing/whatever...sorry the dog can't go that long without going out, guess you'll have to head home early...
cfs

Post by cfs »

Leaders, good morning/afternoon/evening

Thanks for asking. Our family adopted a retired Greyhound in 1998, he was my best friend, and went over the rainbow in 2007. Now we have an Australian Sheperd-Cocker Spaniel mixed, brought him from Idaho in 2009. For adoption, my recommendation is a retired Greyhound, they are awesome looking, smart, already trained, and are looking for a loving family to take care of them. In Southern California I would recommend Operation Greyhound, which is on top my my donations listing, and you can find more information by calling their headquarter at (619) 588-6611, or visit this link -- http://www.operationgreyhound.com/ -- and oh by the way, this is a good place to drop your dog for care if you are going on travel for a couple of days or a couple of weeks. We travel to/from our homes in St George UT and San Diego CA with our dog in the car with no issues.

Thanks for reading and have a Merry Christmas.

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” ― Will Rogers
~ Member of the Active Retired Force since 2014 ~
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

Cheryl,
Dogs are wonderful to have. Good companions and loyal. In all, but 4 of our 53 years of marriage we have owned a dog (2 small mix breeds, 2 Old English Sheepdogs, and a Pekinese). All, but one, were rescued, including our present Old English Sheepdog. One, a full Pekinese, adopted us, though. (Came to our back door in the cold of winter.) We also have had a cat in about half of those years.
As has been said, you can't leave a dog alone, like a cat. We can leave our cat for a week with an automatic feeder and waterer, but no way can you do that with a dog. Most communities have dog day care centers where you can board it, or maybe you have a neighbor who could take the dog out and feed it a couple of times a day. My son and daughter-in-law have such an arrangement with a neighbor.
If you would like any particular breed, there are rescue groups for all breeds over the country, which are great sources A breed rescue may not allow you to adopt one though, if you would be leaving the dog outside or alone for too long. You may wish to start looking at Petfinder, http://www.petfinder.com/ to find your 4 legged companion.
Be a good friend for your canine companion and you will be rewarded many times over.
Jim
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I've had dog(s) for years and I also had to travel for work, sometimes with only a few hours notice. I solved the travel problem by finding good pet sitters who were easily available by phone or email. I believe that dogs do better in their own homes. This also avoids the problem of unwanted vaccinations that most kennels and vets require. It also meant I didn't have to take time to drop off the dog(s) on the way out of town and I could leave before or after closing time for kennels and vets.

I used one sitter for 5 years, 1 for about 3 years, and one for about 8 years. The sitter always had my house key. They knew my habits and I knew theirs, so things were easy. I always left a typed sheet of instructions on a cabinet door so there was always a reference if meds had changed or whatever.

Worked for me!
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

Yep. I have an Australian cattle dog who is almost 17 years old. He is a fantastic companion and I wouldn't trade him for anything. I could write paragraphs singing his praises.
However, owning a dog has been a huge responsibility and has greatly reduced my freedom. Plus he's awfully expensive, esp in these later years. Think thousands of dollars.
The benefits are many, but it's a decision not to be taken lightly. Good luck.
SP-diceman

Post by SP-diceman »

Cats.
rec7

Post by rec7 »

Great question can you had a poll?
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

We have many dogs around the house at any given time. We have 3 of our own and any number of rescues and/or dog sitting for family/friends at any given time. My wife has a local rescue agency that calls and asks her to care for certain dogs that may not do well at their shelter - usually because they're small and fragile. We hold on to them while their vaccinations are updated and any medical issues addressed. Eventually they get adopted by a new loving family, like potentially you!
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

We have a nine year-old Brittany currently---have had her since she was a puppy. Prior to that, a Springer Spaniel. They are wonderful companions and superb listeners, although not to good when it comes to conversation. I sometimes think of them as like a 4-legged child, only you don't have to buy them a car or pay to send them to college.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

To focus on the issue of travel, it's best to research your options now since you do travel on a monthly basis. A professional pet sitter who has fully done the paperwork to make a pet sitting company (e.g. bonded and insured, associated with one of the national pet sitting professional associations, etc.) would be the ideal solution, but such a pet sitter can be hard to find in many areas. Kenneling is also an option for dogs, but not really the best option given the frequency of travel for your job. An informal arrangement with friends or family in the area can also work, but make sure to offer some compensation given the frequency of your travel.

Also be sure to make arrangements with your veterinarian and with the emergency veterinarian in the area to cover any costs of veterinary treatment that may arise when you are traveling. A professional pet sitter or a kennel will likely have a fee schedule if they have to pay the bill and get reimbursed from you for it. And it is quite an imposition on friends and family to ask them to cover a veterinarian bill until you get back if you use informal pet sitting arrangements. My veterinarian has my cell phone number and will bill my credit card if I give them the information over the phone. Others may require deposits be held for such arrangements.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

A couple practical questions:
- How will the dog take care of his business during the day? Asking a dog to go 8+ hours without a break outside is tough. 8+ hours in a crate is tough. What if you need to work late? If you leave water out for the dog to drink it will need to pass through. Doggy doors, helpful neighbor, and return to home at lunch break are some options. If the answer is that you will leave the dog outside other problems such as weather, barking, and digging could develop. If you do not have a fenced yard you might want to consider a cat.

- Others have addressed travel. We have a great pet sitter who will come to the house during the day if needed on short notice. She will board our dog at her house if we go on a trip, but she is very selective about the size of dog and temperament when she does this.

Dogs are great companions, but they need much more care than a cat.
Last edited by stan1 on Wed Dec 25, 2013 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We had a rescue Lab mix for 13 years. Wife had resisted, but wound up saying she wished we had gotten a dog sooner. We miss the dog a lot. If you can care for a dog and can arrange boarding when you are gone, go for it.

Merry Christmas.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link: Bogleheads® investment philosophy
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

stan1 wrote:A couple practical questions:
- How will the dog take care of his business during the day? Asking a dog to go 8+ hours without a break outside is tough. 8+ hours in a crate is tough.
I guess that depends on the dog. We don't have a crate. Our dog has the run of the house when we are gone and that is every day. We do need to take some mild precautions: No garbage pails available and keep food off the kitchen table.

For whatever reason, our dog seems to be able to "hold it" for more than 12 hours easily. For example, if we come home at night and it is time to go outside, but it is raining or sprinkling, he will not even bother to come to the open door to go out. And one can tell he hasn't been out because on the next walk, he has to do his business twice.

Every dog is different.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I like dogs, but this pretty much sums up why I don't own one and probably won't own one. For me, too much work and personal travel, varied/occasionally long hours at work, hobbies that take me away from home for many hours at a time (and for which I can't bring the dog along), and I am too cheap to hire some sort of pet sitter or "doggie daycare." I wouldn't want to have to take the dog for walks every day in the winter here when it's below freezing much of the time. I'd also have to invest in fencing for my property, which isn't cheap.

Getting a dog is adding a big responsibility to one's life, and I'm not looking to do that. Maybe when I retire (decades from now) I'd reconsider getting a dog.
John3754 wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of dogs or "dog people" as I call them. If you own a dog you can't go anywhere or do anything without considering how long the dog can be left alone. Dog people are often difficult to make plans with, they can't stay out for more than X hours because someone needs to be home for the dog, and some of them always want to bring their dogs with them everywhere they go. Once I was kicked out of a park and once a restaurant because one of our friends insisted on bringing their dog with them, and on multiple occasions I've had people show up at my house with their dogs, which I don't appreciate. Want to go away for a few days? Who is watching the dog? Want to go out for the evening? Dinner/movie/show/bar/dancing/whatever...sorry the dog can't go that long without going out, guess you'll have to head home early...
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bondsr4me

Post by bondsr4me »

I have 2 chihuahuas now; had one before them for about 10 yrs. He was the greatest pet/friend I have ever had, other than my wife. We bought 2 this time so they would have each other to play with. It was the best decision we could have made. They are 2 cute little guys.....would do it all over again.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

bondsr4me wrote:I have 2 chihuahuas now; had one before them for about 10 yrs. He was the greatest pet/friend I have ever had, other than my wife. We bought 2 this time so they would have each other to play with. It was the best decision we could have made. They are 2 cute little guys.....would do it all over again.
When I read about people buying dogs, I picture the millions of dogs that are put to death in shelters every year.
And, yes, it is millions.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
Blues

Post by Blues »

We rescued this sweet little gal in late October after having to say goodbye to our Weimaraner in July...she's just a tad over a year old and about 50 lbs.
A lot of work and commitment involved but it's the difference between a house and a home. My wife wouldn't rest until we found her and brought her back to live with us.

pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Had dogs when someone was home all the time with them, and really liked them. Much more affectionate
than cats.

Now, in a large town, household gone most of the day, travel occassionaly.

This situation would not be fair to a dog.

Have 2 cats. They can easily go two days without human contact with food water put out and they
have the run of the house. When we go for longer than two days, we pay children on friends to come over
every other day and clean the litter boxes, and put out pre-measured food and water, and pet the cats for a little while.

The cats are a little friendlier when we come home, but otherwise seem to hardly notice we were ever gone.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

We rescued two small mixed breeds from a vet (same litter). I think we got all vaccinations and neutering for free (Boglhead style). I support the local animal rescue group but their requirements can be tough; vets and humane society are glad you want to adopt. I prefer mutts due to overbreeding issues with the more popular breeds. Never before had two dogs at the same time but surprisingly they do spend a lot of time entertaining each other but they are almost double the work and exactly double the expense. We intended to get just one but the ugly ducking came straight up to me, put his front paws on my leg and and gave me the look. He knew a sucker when he saw one!

Our dogs have demonstrated they can last for 12 hours if it's raining outside. We tried to keep time away to less than 8 hours when we both worked but they both did fine in their inside kennel for 9-10 hours when required. Now that I'm home all day they make sure I take them to the doggie park every day so now we all get an hour of brisk, off-leash exercise daily.

We got lucky, neither sheds and they only bark when someone is approaching the house (or the "bad kitty" crosses our lawn). Any behavioral deficiencies they may have are due to poor owner motivation - I know how to train dogs, it just takes a book or two and your time to do it - but the little guys do get away with a few minor things . When all is said and done few things in life beat being enthusiastically greeted at the door - even if you only left for a minute to get the mail. I'll probably have dogs for now on and I'm particularly fond of border terriers as they seem to match my personality.

We, ok the dogs, seem to do best when we are gone for vacations and such, with a young teenager coming to the house a few times a day to feed them and let them outside and take them for a daily walk. We pay about what it would cost to board but this is a nice incentive for a younger pet sitter.
If I am stupid I will pay.
Yipee-Ki-O

Post by Yipee-Ki-O »

I don't have a dog myself, but I do have several neighbors who graciously leave their dogs outside when they leave their homes so that I might enjoy the sound of dogs barking throughout the day and often at random times during the night as well.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

WHAT DOGS TEACH US
Live simply.
Love generously.
Care deeply..
Speak kindly.
Remember, if a dog was the teacher you would learn things like:
When loved ones come home, always run to greet them.
Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joyride. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy.
Take naps.
Stretch before rising.
Run, romp, and play daily.
Thrive on attention and let people touch you.
Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.
On warm days, stop to lie on your back on the grass.
On hot days, drink lots of water and lie under a shady tree.
When you're happy, dance around and wag your entire body.
Delight in the simple joy of a long walk.
Eat with gusto and enthusiasm. Stop when you have had enough.
Be loyal.
Never pretend to be something you're not.
If what you want lies buried, dig until you find it.
When someone is having a bad day, be silent, sit close by and nuzzle them gently.
Being always grateful for each new day and for the blessing you have.
Enjoy every moment of every day! That's what dogs teach us...
(unknown author)
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
midareff

Post by midareff »

Don't now but would like too one day. Still too eager to just pick up and go, and maybe not come back for a weekend to several weeks. Maybe when the traveling days are past, or mostly past, a small dog and another cockatoo. Have a very elderly neighbor (condo) with a little guy who is crazy about me and wifey ... she has offered him once, never know.
frugalhen

Post by frugalhen »

Two yorkiepoos. Yes, dogs are a big commitment of time and energy but the returns are great!. Honestly, if it were not for them I would be in worse shape than I am.

I think at times my wife even loves me as much as them. At times.......................................... :D
"get out and live, you are dead an awfully long time" - Jimmy Demaret
jcman01

Post by jcman01 »

I also am "encouraged" by my dog for daily walks and playing. It keeps you in shape. We have a Vizsla who are known for their high exercise needs. It's a win-win. Our dog is probably even the extreme among the breed. He is a whirlwind.

I'll admit we had concerns about him when we brought him home. But then we fell in love with him....

If you're handy like I am, you can install one of these. They work very well, and allow us to leave our dog all day. The door leads to a hallway that we can block off from the rest of the house, so he cannot roam freely in the house, but has protection from the elements (if he wants).

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0017J ... UTF8&psc=1
Normscoffee

Post by Normscoffee »

I have two dogs. The first I got from the local SPCA and is a mix of everything and is an absolute angel. He is the sweetest dog in the world. He can be quite skittish as he was abused as a puppy but once he knows that you won't hurt him he will just follow you and want pets all day. He is the perfect dog!

The other dog I got for my wife as our wedding present. She became a little sad that our dog was turning more and more into my dog as we became closer and closer, so we decided to get a second dog. This dog is a purebred Bulldog. She can be a little hyper but still a pretty good dog. I'm assuming she'll also calm down as she gets older.

I honestly cannot imagine going through this world without dogs. They are wonderful friends and companions. If we ever get another dog, it will be from the pound or something similar. There are so many good dogs in need of a good home, so why wouldn't I want to provide that for them?

Hope that helps and hope everyone had a wonderful Christmas with their four legged friends.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

I didn't yet read all the replies, so I'm sure some of this was covered.

Due to the fact you travel for a few days with your job, I do not think you should. Dogs become loyal to their owners very fast and you leaving him or her like that would definitely add stress to them. I pretty much stopped taking vacation because of my dog. I left him in a kennel once and he came back so traumatized I knew I could not do that again. It took him 2 weeks to snap out of it. It is very hard to count on family or friends to be available to watch them for you, especially since it is a few times a week or month.

On the other side of the coin, dogs are more loyal then any human will ever be to you and I think everyone should experience that kind of loyalty once in their life. I'm the first to admit I have a very unhealthy relationship with my 11 year old Shi Tzu and when he does leave us, I will not get another one because they do stop you from being free and just getting up and go. When there is a time where you plan to be a home body and have the time for a full time dog companion, then it is a very big blessing.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Now on our third greyhound. Wonderful, easy to live with dogs. OTOH, the 9:00 in the evening walk in wintertime in Wisconsin is not my favorite thing.
nhdblfan

Post by nhdblfan »

Have two labs, a chocolate and a black,and yes I am a dog person.

On my way out for our daily walk,could not imagine life without them.
Only downside is the short lifespan dogs have,its our 4th and 5th and having to go through the end of the first 3 was very hard,still miss and think of each of them every day.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Black lab mix, found her as a stray. She was trained, so we've never had a problem letting her have the run of the house. But she was abused so she gas a few quirks. All around she's a great dog, but she wanders. Yesterday i found her 2 houses down begging for Christmas dinner.
gd

Post by gd »

How many? Too many. Dogs are social animals. If you are not going to have someone with your dog 24 hours a day, you should not have a dog. If you tie or fence your dog outside while you go to work, you should not have a dog. If you pay someone to walk your dog for you, you should not have a dog. In my book, it's pretty much farmers/ranchers and golf course groundskeepers with a Canada Goose problem. Most places I've lived in my life, and I'm talking 10-20, I've had to listen to neighbor's dogs barking for hours on end out of despair or boredom while left alone. Owners have invariably insisted that their dog never barked. They had no clue, because it only and always happened when the dog was alone. If you need a dog for feelings of unconditional love, have mercy on your fellow creatures and get a psychiatrist instead.

Edit: And following a previous post, if you ever want to take a vacation without your dog, you should not have a dog.
N1CKV

Post by N1CKV »

John3754 wrote:I'm not the biggest fan of dogs or "dog people" as I call them. If you own a dog you can't go anywhere or do anything without considering how long the dog can be left alone. Dog people are often difficult to make plans with, they can't stay out for more than X hours because someone needs to be home for the dog, and some of them always want to bring their dogs with them everywhere they go. Once I was kicked out of a park and once a restaurant because one of our friends insisted on bringing their dog with them, and on multiple occasions I've had people show up at my house with their dogs, which I don't appreciate. Want to go away for a few days? Who is watching the dog? Want to go out for the evening? Dinner/movie/show/bar/dancing/whatever...sorry the dog can't go that long without going out, guess you'll have to head home early...
I love my dog. I don't know how I lived without him.

As for the complaints and considerations required of a dog, replace the word dog with a child.
Dogs are way cheaper, dogs require way less attention, maintenance and they can be left alone for periods of time. There is no diapers, the thing is potty trained in weeks not years.

I'm a "dog person". I'm not a big fan of "kid people".
reisner

Post by reisner »

Travel: Yes, there are limits. However, I have traveled with a setter dog all over the country and have enjoyed his companionship more than I can say. I have also traveled to Greece and Turkey with an Airedale and had a ball.

$: Make sure you can afford premium food, vet care, and boarding if necessary.

Acquisition: It's as crazy to buy a dog as it is to buy a cat. I have adopted two Bedlington terriers (don't ever get one, severe genetic problems), a Llewellin setter, and a Dutch Shepherd. You can find anything you want, purebred or otherwise, in need of a home. All dogs, bought or adopted, purebred or otherwise, have their weaknesses and quirks. A mixed breed was the sickest dog I ever had. The setter is a terrible counter surfer, othewise perfect. The Dutch Shepherd is timid. As with kids, flexibility is as necessary as a firm hand.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I would like a dog - but my wife has a "character flaw"

She doesn't care for dogs and refuses to let me get one. :(
G12

Post by G12 »

Blues wrote:We rescued this sweet little gal in late October after having to say goodbye to our Weimaraner in July...she's just a tad over a year old and about 50 lbs.
A lot of work and commitment involved but it's the difference between a house and a home. My wife wouldn't rest until we found her and brought her back to live with us.
She's beautiful, has to be part AmStaff or other terrier. Ours is AmStaff with Weimaraner and GSHP in her family tree, great mix of dogs and is as sweet as they come, all the people that train in the nosework group we train with love her :

To OP, going through a rescue where a dog is fostered typically will result in a better desired outcome as far as getting a dog with the temperament/personality desired, much better than going to the pound as it can be a very challenging environment for a dog and evaluating in that circumstance can be difficult. Although I got the pictured dog directly from the pound I had spent a number of days around her prior to adopting her. She is # 4 rescue for us. The least risky course would be to volunteer with a rescue group that focus on the breed or mix desired and offer to foster a dog to ensure that a dog is a good fit for your life currently then you don't have a life long commitment on your hands. Doggy day care can be a good experience for newly adopted dogs, it helps them socialize and if you need to board the dog is at least somewhat acclimated to the environment. My wife and I both worked full time and had no issues leaving our Dobes unattended/free run of the house with very few accidents over the years. Good luck with your decision, as others have stated we will never live in a dogless home again.

This is Dobe 3, Gracie, we got her through rescue - she was terribly emaciated and was missing 50% of her hair and had issues that was going to keep many from choosing her, 9 yrs later still going strong and quite the looker:
leonard

Post by leonard »

Unfortunately - you likely will not be able to know how your travel stresses the particular dog you select until after you get the dog. If the dog gets really stressed by you leaving - and responds with destructive behavior - that could be a bad scenario.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

dm200 wrote:I would like a dog - but my wife has a "character flaw"

She doesn't care for dogs and refuses to let me get one. :(
You need to better manage expectations...push for a snake, pot belly pig, or something else that is more offensive to her. In desperation, she will suggest a dog. :D

BTW, I have an Australian Shepherd. My avatar is from when he was a puppy.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

N1CKV wrote:I'm a "dog person". I'm not a big fan of "kid people".
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like your parents.
leonard

Post by leonard »

KlingKlang wrote:
N1CKV wrote:I'm a "dog person". I'm not a big fan of "kid people".
I'm sorry to hear that you don't like your parents.
Ah, ad hominem. Good one.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.