Driver's Question?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Driver's Question?

Postby arsenebould » Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:58 am

Guys,

I was on this 2 lane road today coming to office, the cop was on the opposite side of the road. The speed limit was 35 and i was at 40-41 at that time.While he was passing me he suddenly put his lights on.
I was confused if he put the lights on for me or someone else ahead of him. Do i have an obligation to stop?

Thanks for you input.
arsenebould

Re: Driver's Question?

Postby Retread » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:03 am

No, not unless he turns around and comes up behind you.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis
Retread

Postby retiredjg » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 am

I think you have an obligation to gather more information.

Most state laws probably require you to pull over if lights are behind you. If the lights pass on by, they only needed you to get out of the way. If the lights stay behind you as you pull over, you are obviously supposed to stop.

Of if there are lights ahead of you and someone is motioning you to pull over, obviously you are supposed to pull over.

If the cop is coming toward you and flashes lights, there's no way to know what the cop wants without seeing what happens next. S/he may just be telling you (visually) to slow down or stop doing whatever it is you should not be doing. Or s/he may have just gotten a call and is headed out (coincidental to passing you). Or it may be a case of the cop is about to make a u-turn in order to follow you until you stop. Or it may be a case of stopping the car in front of the cop. Like I said, you don't know till you see more.
Last edited by retiredjg on Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
retiredjg

Postby mhc » Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:59 am

arsenebould wrote:Guys,

I was on this 2 lane road today coming to office, the cop was on the opposite side of the road. The speed limit was 35 and i was at 40-41 at that time.While he was passing me he suddenly put his lights on.
I was confused if he put the lights on for me or someone else ahead of him. Do i have an obligation to stop?

Thanks for you input.

Did he stop you? If not, then the lights probably were not for you.

Did he keep the lights on as he drove away from you? If so, then the lights had nothing to do with you.

If he is driving away from you, then there is nothing you need to do.
mhc

Postby MDfive21 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:06 am

that was probably a courtesy warning that you were going too fast. if a cop is going to stop you, you'll know it because he'll slam on the brakes and Uturn so quick it'll make your head spin.
MDfive21

Postby investingdad » Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:53 pm

Not enough information.

Personally, I'd slow down a tad to see if he was pulling a U turn. If he isn't, just continue on your merry way and think nothing more of it. If he has a reason to pull you over, he'll catch up.
investingdad

Postby MnD » Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:26 pm

investingdad wrote:Personally, I'd slow down a tad to see if he was pulling a U turn. If he isn't, just continue on your merry way and think nothing more of it. If he has a reason to pull you over, he'll catch up.

I'd speed up and when over a hill, take a quick left or right, hopefully down a well-wooded lane with lots of twists and turn-offs. :mrgreen:
MnD

Postby yatesd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:51 pm

MnD wrote:
investingdad wrote:Personally, I'd slow down a tad to see if he was pulling a U turn. If he isn't, just continue on your merry way and think nothing more of it. If he has a reason to pull you over, he'll catch up.

I'd speed up and when over a hill, take a quick left or right, hopefully down a well-wooded lane with lots of twists and turn-offs. :mrgreen:

And hide behind the bushes...
yatesd

Postby yatesd » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:54 pm

One other option is to legitimately get pulled over for speeding so you better understand the process. I have been doing research for many years. :wink:
yatesd

Postby an_asker » Mon Dec 16, 2013 2:54 pm

MnD wrote:

Honest answer award! :moneybag
an_asker

Return to Personal Consumer Issues