Used Toyota Camry vs. Scion tC?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
InvestNewbie

Used Toyota Camry vs. Scion tC?

Post by InvestNewbie »

We have the opportunity to have a used car gifted to us that's going to replace our second car which is long overdue for replacement. The two possibilities are a 2006 Toyota Camry SE V6 or a 2008 Scion tC. We have a 2008 Audi A4 which we're planning on keeping. Our current work schedules and lifestyle is best served with two cars. Ideally we'd like the cars to be relatively interchangable so either car can be driven by either person. We're expecting our first child. We highly doubt we're going to be able to reduce our schedules down to one car so picking a free replacement now makes the most financial sense for us now. Both cars have been well maintained with no major mechanical issues.

http://www.edmunds.com/toyota/camry/200 ... specs-diff
http://www.edmunds.com/scion/tc/2008/

Before the family addition I would have instantly taken the smaller Scion tC since city parking and driving in Boston can get very cramped and I've always driven compact cars. But the lack of rear doors makes the Camry more appealing despite it's relatively larger size. The Audi feels big to me when I drive it and the Camry is slightly longer (~9 inches). I've driven the Camry before and I absolutely don't mind driving it. I'm wondering if getting the Scion would produce future downsides. We're planning on driving all of our cars into the ground so whatever we pick up, we'll hopefully be still driving 10+ years from now.

What would people here suggest?
sport

Re: Used Toyota Camry vs. Scion tC?

Post by sport »

You will want to put the car seat for the baby in the rear. If you will use this car to transport the baby, getting him/her in and out of the rear seat in a 2-door car will be difficult. The 4-door will greatly ease this task.
Jeff
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Topic Author
InvestNewbie

Post by InvestNewbie »

I think the 4 door Camry choice is probably best. There go my dreams of reliving my youth in a 2 door car that's advertised with a whole raft of aftermarket parts.

At least it's the V6 Camry. According to Edmunds the SE V6 has the biggest engine for that year. So much for my fuel economy!
Dave76

Post by Dave76 »

4 doors make things easier when you've got kids. If I had a baby, and I wanted a fun-to-drive car, I'd look for a nice Dodge Omni GLH. I've always wanted one.
enc0re

Post by enc0re »

While I too would recommend the Camry, the hatch on the tC is nice. Since you already have one sedan, that's a factor to consider if, for example, you have to take the lawnmower somewhere for the occasional maintenance. Too bad hatches are considered uncool and they're difficult to find in a four door. Of course I'm referring to the fastback style, not the wagon style like you can get on an Impreza.

I can't get over the plastic dash in the tC though.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

My 2001 Camry is the BEST car I've ever owned, and I've owned a fair number.

Comfortable for up to five people, easy to repair, solid, dependable, etc.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche