Tactical Flashlight for long walks at night vs. pepper spray

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
lmpmd

Tactical Flashlight for long walks at night vs. pepper spray

Post by lmpmd »

I will occasionally take a long walk at night. With or without my dog who isn't that scary. I'm not sure what I'm worried about. A weirdo? A pitbull? I really don't think anything will happen to be me - but I think I'd like to carry something with me. Not a gun. I'm just not into guns - for a bunch of reasons. I'm in the suburbs. What do you people carry with you? I was looking at tactical flashlights. They are so bright they blind people and you can also use them to hit someone. Do you think this is better than carrying pepper spray or a small pocket knife? Any thoughts? Any particular model to recommend?
gkaplan

Re: Tactical Flashlight for long walks at night vs. pepper s

Post by gkaplan »

How about a whistle?
Gordon
Stonebr

Post by Stonebr »

I don't carry anything. The greatest danger walking at night is from cars. Just be visible.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
leonard

Post by leonard »

If you are walking - take a look at a walking stick or set of walking sticks used for hiking. Light but sturdy.

Flashlights are heavy - one swing and if you miss you could be in trouble. Walking sticks you can get off plenty of shots in a hurry.

But, none of this does you any good if the other person has a gun.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Carry them all. You can't be too prepared. As far as a flashlight goes, get one of those long heavy models like to police carry. I don't know about where you live, but where I am even the suburbs aren't as safe as they used to be.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

'
My tactical flashlight.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

Forget the pocket knife. Too long to get it out, and they'd probably just laugh or get angry.

If you have the slightest worry, walk somewhere else, especially after dark, maybe at a mall.
If you feel relatively safe, the best thing to take with you is another person.
If a person is going to accost someone, they'd rather target a solo person.
The odds of an animal attack are very low, and a weapon would likely not be useful then.

When I run (alone during the daytime) I take a cellphone in case of an injury or a heart attack.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

A flashlight would seem to be useful just in case, you know, it's dark.

A phone in case you need to order a pizza.

Pepper spray would be a fairly low impact (light weight, inconspicuous) item to carry. Might work on a dog that attacks your dog, too (i'm not an expert on animal attacks).
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Easy Rhino wrote:A flashlight would seem to be useful just in case, you know, it's dark.

A phone in case you need to order a pizza.

Pepper spray would be a fairly low impact (light weight, inconspicuous) item to carry. Might work on a dog that attacks your dog, too (i'm not an expert on animal attacks).
Would the pepper spray work on the pizza? That way you wouldn't have to carry red pepper with you.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

WendyW wrote:'
My tactical flashlight.

+1 except for the color... :wink:

However if you do not wish to carry a gun, how about a walking cane with light and tazer built it?
Just don't violate any laws or taze yourself!

ZAP Stun Baton Walking Cane 1M

http://www.thehomesecuritysuperstore.co ... ane-p=2759
Last edited by SteveNet on Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Being frugal is hard to learn, but once learned is hard to stop.
user5027

Post by user5027 »

This thread reminded me of Laugh-In's Ruth Buzzi hitting Arte Johnson with her lethal handbag. :D
Calm Man

Post by Calm Man »

I have taken advanced martial arts training. I have never hit anybody in my entire life but would resort to a quick thrust to the solar plexus and immobilize the attacker. I then could leave, call the police, or deliver another blow.
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

user5027 wrote:This thread reminded me of Laugh-In's Ruth Buzzi hitting Arte Johnson with her lethal handbag. :D
Hopefully he won't encounter any 'wallnettos' sp? along the walk.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I wear a flourescent lime-green top that is so bright even the skunks run away. The neighbors think I'm a "municipal worker". I don't carry a phone, nor money, nor a wallet. I don't even carry a flashlight, but one could put on one of those red-flashing-LED things.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
reisner

Post by reisner »

Against a pit bull a tactical flashlight would be of no use whatsoever. Against a shooter in a crowded movie theater it might be the best defense, especially if other members of the audience deploy their own. Against a mugger, well . . . My Tai Chi (martial arts) instructor bought $10 ones for his diminutive wife and daughter. He thought the flashlights would serve them well, and I'm sure they would, but then he has helped his family train mentally and strategically in self defense.

A knife would require much more training. My instructor teaches Philippine knife fighting as a sport, but he would never use a knife himself for protection. He also teaches stick fighting, but ditto there.

Pepper spray, sometimes mixed with mace and dye, is an excellent self defense tool. Bear Spray is even better. After accompanying my wife to a course for the no-longer required carry permit, taught by the head of San Diego Homicide, I carried mace for years while teaching Humanities at San Diego State. You may raise an eyebrow, but I had at least one disruptive schizophrenic student, four of our professors were murdered by a student during his MA orals, investigators busted 70 people in a drug ring run by a Business major out of his fraternity, and I once sent the entire campus police force in pursuit of a man I'd seen shove .357 under his sweatshirt and head toward the cafeteria. (They caught him.) Sat superque, enough and more than enough to arm yourself.

I often carry a flashlight--and why not make it a $10 tactical--but mainly for the light. If you are trained, some think it the protective weapon of choice. I have carried a pocket knife since I was a kid--except when flying, darnnit. My current favorite has a very sharp and scary-looking four-inch blade that flicks open, but I chose it for everyday tasks, at which it is deployed daily--opening packages, snipping loose threads, cleaning trout, cutting out New Yorker articles. I very occasionally carry pepper spray, say, while walking on a remote beach where there are homeless encampments or out late in a city. I would like to get some pepper spray for fly fishing in Grizzly country--it is more effective in stopping a bear charge instantly than a hunting rifle.

Guns, pink or otherwise, are so bulky that most people I know with carry permits never bother, and if fired they are likely to involve you in legal troubles. I rely on them only when off the grid, which granted is a matter of your state of mind.

Get a can of pepper spray; under twenty bucks. Gun stores tend to sell better stuff than hardware stores. And while walking in the dark carry a flashlight or wear a headlamp--I came late to discovering the usefulness of headlamps, from barbecuing on the patio, changing a tire, noodling about the house during a blackout, taking out the garbage without stepping on a raccoon.
FNK

Post by FNK »

If you're willing to carry the weight, you're looking for the good old Maglite. Put it on your shoulder - shine into eyes - bash the head. If needed, bash again, they'll be disoriented for a while.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

reisner wrote:Get a can of pepper spray; under twenty bucks. Gun stores tend to sell better stuff than hardware stores. And while walking in the dark carry a flashlight or wear a headlamp--I came late to discovering the usefulness of headlamps, from barbecuing on the patio, changing a tire, noodling about the house during a blackout, taking out the garbage without stepping on a raccoon.
Many people don't know how to use pepper spray. For example, they can't pull it out quickly enough, point it in the wrong direction, don't account for the wind, etc. If someone is going to rely on pepper spray, they should take a short training session.

I concur with your recommendation of headlamps.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
reisner

Post by reisner »

Victoria,

You are right. I received a lot of training for Mace that is important for pepper spray, matters involving wind direction, blowback, and simply familiarizing yourself with the nozzle. People have sprayed themselves, and I actually know a guy (retired law enforcement, duh!) who Tazed himself. Not to mention the legions who have shot themselves (can you say, "Ernest Hemingway"? Okay, but can you say it twice?). The Mace course I took was well worth a morning. Now that such courses are rarely if ever required, at least a scan of YouTube videos--ones that don't begin with "Hey guys!-- is certainly called for before prancing down the street with a pocket full of hot sauce. That's how I learned to turn the pheasant the setter dog and I shot into a delicious curry.
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

pinecrest wrote:Walking with a swagger may help.

Just be sure not to inadvertantly wear any gang "colors".
If I speak to a bear in Russian, will he back off?

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
reisner

Post by reisner »

Speaking of a swagger. The venerable English umbrella firm of Swaine, Adeney, Brigg (forgive misspellings) once purveyed to gentlemen the "Swagger Dagger," a sword cane. At the time they had a shop on Union Square in San Francisco. I went in, in an inquiring but not moneyed mood. The weapon in the window was not for sale but I was allowed to handle it. Snicker-snack! In fact the sword cane was absolutely illegal under US law. But, Sir, if you have the appropriate paperwork, for a couple of thousand dollars we could sell you the .410 shotgun cane--which was legal!!!!!

Follow up. Just five or so years ago, a thus-purveyed gentleman stabbed an assailant to death on the London Underground. He was brought up on charges of murder that were, amazingly, dismissed. But thereafter the sword cane was banned in Britain as well.

Minor follow up. On a private tour of the House of Commons with my students, I was stopped at security because I was carrying a pocket knife. Snicker-snack! It wasn't a lock-blade. I was allowed in, with the fair-sized knife!
Last edited by reisner on Tue Dec 03, 2013 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Higman

Post by Higman »

I would recommend carrying a Class IIIa green laser pointer. They are the size of a fountain pen. These are used by astronomy buffs to point to stars. There are very powerful and will temporarily blind an assailant and painfully so.
shmidds

Post by shmidds »

Pushing a shopping cart filled with trash is very effective.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I always figured I could outrun anybody who was approaching me as long as I kept a reasonable distance from them. That might entail crossing the street, or increasing or decreasing my pace.

Bad guys aren't fast runners. They specialize in other things.
Caduceus

Post by Caduceus »

Interesting question. I've taken long walks at night on my own both in the U.S. and overseas, and the only time I wished I had some form of protection was when a stray dog stalked me for quite a bit in Granada. Not sure pepper spray would have worked. More likely to encounter speeding cars and stray animals in the suburbs than anything, I think.

I've never done it myself, but what about self-defense classes if you're really concerned? They might also teach you to evaluate threats. It's not that great an idea to start hitting someone with a stick/flashlight or miss with pepper spray and risk escalating the situation. I'm a believer in trusting one's instincts. I notice how it comes into play much more when I'm traveling solo overseas but it seems to fade into the background back home.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

I think a 500+ lumen flashlight, either a small one or a larger Maglight style, would be an excellent thing to carry at a minimum. I see a lot of people getting pepper sprayed on TV and haven't been overly impressed, but the bear spray might do the job although hitting the target at night might be an issue.

A good source of info on LED flashlights is over at Candlepower forums and here's one thread I see on the use of LED flashlights by the police: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/sho ... a9aff3ba80
Last edited by BigFoot48 on Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by 123 »

Why not go for long walks before dawn? If you go when it's almost dawn all the bad guys have probably already have taken care of their business and are home. I just don't recall ever hearing about much crime that occurs just before dawn.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
SimonJester

Post by SimonJester »

Perhaps the Kimber Pepper blaster, I have always wanted one but they are a little pricey...
http://www.kimberamerica.com/pepperblaster
"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
fredjohnson

Post by fredjohnson »

I do 10 mile unpaved trail runs every Saturday out in the middle of nowhere near the Mpls metro area. Sometimes I don't see even one person on these trails. I always carry MACE along with my water bottle, protein bar and phone. I don't run these trails at night since its too easy to get hurt via sprained ankle, etc. since the trails are not lit. Since you are running/walking at night I would definitely carry mace and I would wear a headlamp, the kind that is bright, LED, affixes to your head with a strap. Same kind I use for hiking in the dark when camping in summer. I carry Saber Red pepper spray/mace for joggers. There is a velcro strap that your hand slips through putting the canister in your fingers. You can unlock and fire the spray in under 2 seconds. It shoots up to 10 feet, 35 one second bursts. Alternatively you can carry a bear mace canister in a holster on your chest. I've done that also. The advantage of a bear mace canister in a holster is that its right in the middle of your chest, so you can fire it in under 2 seconds. AND....it can fire over 20 feet in a big cloud of spray. The canister is larger than the jogger mace, but not terribly heavy. If you are walking and not running, I'd carry the bear mace since the extra weight won't matter. A big heavy flashlight won't help you ward off a determined dog or a criminal. You would most likely drop it anyway before hitting anything with it. Don't carry a knife. Too easy for someone to use against you and you have to be close to them to use it. A gun is a possibility, but ONLY if you have had some training in using it, and can legally carry it in your locality. It is easy to get a conceal and carry permit in MN, but in some States it is nearly impossible. You didn't say if you were a woman or a man. Not to be sexist, but you should carry the mace at a minimum if you are female. I am male, 6'2", 200 lbs and was on the college karate team 4 years in college. I still carry mace.
fredjohnson

Post by fredjohnson »

Steelersfan wrote:I always figured I could outrun anybody who was approaching me as long as I kept a reasonable distance from them. That might entail crossing the street, or increasing or decreasing my pace.

Bad guys aren't fast runners. They specialize in other things.
Well, you can't outrun a bad dog.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

The problem with most self defense options other than a handgun, is that they require close contact to deploy. Your risk greatly increases inside of 5 yards. People think that simply buying and carrying such an option provides increased security. This is a false sense of security and is generally an illusion.

Most of the options previously identified require a high degree of skill to deploy effectively.

A knife is probably the worst idea. It requires a very high degree of skill to use a knife effectively in self-defense. If you actually stab someone in self-defense, the optics are worse than if you had shot them.

Contrary to common belief it is very difficult to use a tactical flashlight effectively. Swinging or clubbing are very slow highly telegraphed moves. This goes for a walking stick or any other swinging/clubbing weapon.

As has already been stated, pepper spray is not easy to use in a confrontation. It requires specialized training and a decent sized device. It is easily compromised by wind and the fog of battle.

If I was not carrying a gun, I would arm myself with the following in order of importance; situational awareness, cardiovascular conditioning, good running shoes, Streamlight BatonLite (flashlight/kubotan for humans), and pepper spray for animals. With effective training for that last two items.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Long walks at night, you're likely to stumble on something.
Likelihood of being mugged or similar are minimal unless you;re walking in a significant Crime Zone.
Just wear an LED headlamp and you'll be fine...
Attempted new signature...
SlowAsMolassis

Post by SlowAsMolassis »

I like a head lamp (on my wrist) for rattlesnake watching and mace on my spouse for the never yet seen mountain lion. Why not both?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

thatwhichisgood wrote:I like a head lamp (on my wrist) for rattlesnake watching and mace on my spouse for the never yet seen mountain lion. Why not both?
Rattlesnakes aren't generally out cruising around at night.
Mountain lions are, so scare them away with your headlamp...
Attempted new signature...
SteveNet

Post by SteveNet »

Spirit Rider wrote:The problem with most self defense options other than a handgun, is that they require close contact to deploy. Your risk greatly increases inside of 5 yards. People think that simply buying and carrying such an option provides increased security. This is a false sense of security and is generally an illusion.

Most of the options previously identified require a high degree of skill to deploy effectively.

A knife is probably the worst idea. It requires a very high degree of skill to use a knife effectively in self-defense. If you actually stab someone in self-defense, the optics are worse than if you had shot them.

Contrary to common belief it is very difficult to use a tactical flashlight effectively. Swinging or clubbing are very slow highly telegraphed moves. This goes for a walking stick or any other swinging/clubbing weapon.

As has already been stated, pepper spray is not easy to use in a confrontation. It requires specialized training and a decent sized device. It is easily compromised by wind and the fog of battle.

If I was not carrying a gun, I would arm myself with the following in order of importance; situational awareness, cardiovascular conditioning, good running shoes, Streamlight BatonLite (flashlight/kubotan for humans), and pepper spray for animals. With effective training for that last two items.
I generally disagree, as most people will not take the time nor have the inclination to become a tactical commando just for simple evening walks.
As the original OP posted...
"I'm not sure what I'm worried about. A weirdo? A pitbull?"
After all a lot of evening walkers are of a age or have physical limitations that would negate conditioning or running shoes as an option, let alone properly wield a kubotan or BatonLite effectively.
At a younger age I consider myself pretty much a bad*** walking the streets of Bed Stuy in Brooklyn. Now at almost 60 not so much. Run? not with a bad knee, hand to hand? Carpal tunnel syndrome operations limit that option.
I carry a side arm legally, but I know thats not for everyone.
A walking stick like I mentioned above with a tazer mounted at the end will quickly dispatch a vicious dog or weirdo venturing too close looking to do harm.
And provide stability as well.
After all I don't think the OP is referencing walking around Brooklyn type neighborhoods at night.
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

Higman wrote:I would recommend carrying a Class IIIa green laser pointer. They are the size of a fountain pen. These are used by astronomy buffs to point to stars. There are very powerful and will temporarily blind an assailant and painfully so.
Would it work against bears and cougars? In daylight too? I find pepper spray too bulky to carry. The laser pointer sounds like an interesting, light weight alternative.
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

As someone else suggested, a Maglite will do the trick. Not perfect, but at least it's something. You could get peppper spray, but it's very situational and not perfect either. Given you live in the burbs and aren't really even sure what you're afraid of, I'd think a weighty flashlight that looks like a club would be sufficient. It would make you less of a likely target for humans, at least.

JT
BC_Doc

Post by BC_Doc »

The Wizard wrote:
thatwhichisgood wrote:I like a head lamp (on my wrist) for rattlesnake watching and mace on my spouse for the never yet seen mountain lion. Why not both?
Rattlesnakes aren't generally out cruising around at night.
Mountain lions are, so scare them away with your headlamp...
Rattlesnakes love the trails after dark-- the trails are warmer than the grass.
If you're rasslin with a cougar, you'll want something bigger than a teeny-weenie headlamp to fight it off. The mace is a good idea. Those cats are truly scary...
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

If you're worried about humans, tactical flashlight is great. Not the wimpy maglites, which are puny - you want something with over 250 lumens (LED) - if you're at 500 lumen range, it's literally as bright as a car headlamp on high beams, so picture the stunning effect of staring straight into a car headbeam from close-range (also remember that actual car headbeams are aimed low at the ground, so to properly imagine it, you would be crouching down to get eye level with that 500+ lumen beam. BRIGHT. Like blindingly, staggeringly bright.) It won't solve everything, but you will absolutely have the upper hand from visibility and awareness - even if the enemy attacks, you will still have upper hand even if you lose teh flashlight and their eyes can't adjust to the darkness quickly.

Dogs and other wildlife this may or may not work on.

But the best thing is definitely awareness of surroundings and a safe route.

(I regularly run with a 500+ lumen headlamp at night, so am well familiar with them and the blinding effects.)
Sconie

Post by Sconie »

WendyW wrote:'
My tactical flashlight.

+1!

Otherwise, you might want to consider a 6 D-cell MagLite:
http://www.maglite.com/product.asp?psc=6DCELL

Carrying one of those is pretty darn close to carrying a baseball bat, if not a club.
I know you think you understand what you thought I said but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. - Alan Greenspan
mikeast

Post by mikeast »

I always carry pepper spray now when walking my dog. In the 7 years I've had her, my beagle has been attacked three times by other dogs--once in the US and twice
in Europe. As for defense against people--not going alone is probably your best defense.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I always carry flashlight and wear a reflective vest when walking at night. I live in suburbs but we still have an occasional poisonous snake in road or on sidewalk. Flashlight is needed to see where I am walking and what is on sidewalk. If you feel unsafe walking in your environment I would suggest you walk in a more safe place, i.e. mall, gym or treadmill.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

I limit my walks to daytime - avoids the whole issue.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Call_Me_Op wrote:I limit my walks to daytime - avoids the whole issue.
Depending where you live and if you have a job; but it is almost impossible to walk in the winter without it being dark. Perhaps a treadmill...

Unfortunately, I think it also depends on your likelihood of being a target. As a middle aged man, I feel relatively safe, but cringe at my wife and daughter walking through our neighborhood after dark alone (in which case I would want them to have at least a phone and pepper spray with them).

Edit: Perhaps I should clarify. I believe different environments have different risks. In a bad part of town, my awareness goes up due to the potential of confrontation/gangs. In my suburban neighborhood, the biggest risk is probably sexual predators. In the middle of nowhere, depending on the area, animals and sexual predators are a bigger issue.
Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op »

Lately, I realized that I can use the long hallways in work to my advantage. I have been taking walks inside of the building. Aside from being stopped now and then by co-workers striking up conversations, I can get in a good mile every day at lunchtime. Better than nothing.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

No one has mentioned what might be my biggest fear. Getting questioned and maybe hassled by the police. They look at walking around suburbia at night as suspicious behavior and in many cases rightfully so. In our suburban neighborhood there has been a problem with people on foot looking for unlocked cars, then stealing any contents they can find such as GPS units, MP3 players etc. I forgot to lock my vehicle parked in my own driveway and someone made off with an MP3 player in the glove box and all my music CDs. They had left foot prints in some newly fallen snow, similar foot prints showed they scoped out all my neighbors as well. Police also may even suspect you as a peeping tom if any incidents have recently been reported. Not sure how to prevent looking suspicious, just have a good alibi when they question you. Walking with a dog would help. Maybe do your walking in day light.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

In my working years I had the habit to leave my desk in a 5th floor office every hour or so, walk down the stairs and out of one entrance of the building, enter into another entrance and walk back up the stairs to get my body moving again. I also do all of my yard work.
Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott »

First; you can only reduce risks not completely eliminate them. What are you comfortable with? Maybe you need a gym with an indoor track if you are not comfortable on the street. And if you are really opposed to guns; a dog along with a taser or pepper spray is an alternative. My wife and 3 teenage daughters and I frequently walk alone but with a dog (a fairly well trained german shepard that weighs about as much as the girls). I'm more likely to carry something as well but I enjoy the company of the dog and so she gets a lot of exercise.
fulltilt

Post by fulltilt »

Don't take anything with you that you don't want used against yourself as a weapon. That pretty much rules out a tactical flashlight, knife, gun and pepper spray.

I would take a fully charged cell phone and bright clothing on your walks.

Learn what constitutes *real* self defense.
Walk a single path, becoming neither cocky with victory nor broken with defeat, without forgetting caution when all is quiet or becoming frightened when danger threatens. -- Jigoro Kano