Home office printer

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
MP173

Home office printer

Post by MP173 »

Suggestions needed for a home office printer. I currently have a mono laser printer and it fills the need perfectly.

I have a fax machine, but the possibility of multifunctional printer is appealing. Mono is preferred as is long lasting printer cartridges.

My current printer is a Konica Minolta Page Pro 1400W and is about 7 years old and has been great, but quality is slipping. Hopefully it is something which can be easily fixed (call in to KM service), but just in case, I want a backup plan.

Thanks,

Ed
obgraham

Re: Home office printer

Post by obgraham »

Depends on your use.

I dont print very much nowadays. So I'm a fan of buying the cheapest printer on the WallyWorld shelf -- usually under $50 -- disposable product.

Your needs may be different.
Exterous

Post by Exterous »

I don't have any experience with the Konica home line of laser printers so I can't give any recommendations there.

From my own experience I greatly prefer Brother printers. Good feature set, their software isn't nearly as bloated as HPs, reliability is great and their toners are cheap but still deliver promised volume if not more. I don't know if this is still the case on the newer ones but on the older Brother toner cartridge series (ie TN450) you could put a piece of black electrical tape over the toner sensor and get another 400 pages or so out of it. There is some slight risk as you can damage the printer if you continue to run it without toner but if you replace it when the prints get faded you'll almost certainly be fine.

The Brother MFC-7xxx line is their current laser+fax but those run in the $200+ range. Their monochrome laser only HL-2240D workhorse is $130 MSRP but can sometimes be found in the $50-75 range

One of the other things I love is how Brother sticks with toner cartridges and printer models. Both the MFC-7xxx series and the HL-2xxx series (along with several others) use the TN450 cartridge and have for years while many other companies use a different toner for each model (HP being the worst at this). The HL-2240D has been around for 4 years now IIRC while other places like to refresh their lineup every 9-12 months with - you guessed it - a new toner cartridge. Brothers also play well with 3rd party vendors so you'll see a lot of deals like 2 HY cartridges for $22 total or 1 cartridge for $15 with a $10 MIR.

FWIW I am replacing the HPs at my current company with Brother printers and have heard nothing but positive responses from people.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

+1 for Brother lasers.

I have two, a 2230 and a 2240D and they are great.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Do you actually need a fax machine? I have used maxemail.com for years. Incoming faxes wind up in my email inbox, outgoing stuff I upload to their website. I have the dim idea that possibly I could fax outgoing stuff by email, but I've never done that; maybe they don't have that feature.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Exterous wrote:I don't have any experience with the Konica home line of laser printers so I can't give any recommendations there.

From my own experience I greatly prefer Brother printers. Good feature set, their software isn't nearly as bloated as HPs, reliability is great and their toners are cheap but still deliver promised volume if not more. I don't know if this is still the case on the newer ones but on the older Brother toner cartridge series (ie TN450) you could put a piece of black electrical tape over the toner sensor and get another 400 pages or so out of it. There is some slight risk as you can damage the printer if you continue to run it without toner but if you replace it when the prints get faded you'll almost certainly be fine.

The Brother MFC-7xxx line is their current laser+fax but those run in the $200+ range. Their monochrome laser only HL-2240D workhorse is $130 MSRP but can sometimes be found in the $50-75 range

One of the other things I love is how Brother sticks with toner cartridges and printer models. Both the MFC-7xxx series and the HL-2xxx series (along with several others) use the TN450 cartridge and have for years while many other companies use a different toner for each model (HP being the worst at this). The HL-2240D has been around for 4 years now IIRC while other places like to refresh their lineup every 9-12 months with - you guessed it - a new toner cartridge. Brothers also play well with 3rd party vendors so you'll see a lot of deals like 2 HY cartridges for $22 total or 1 cartridge for $15 with a $10 MIR.

FWIW I am replacing the HPs at my current company with Brother printers and have heard nothing but positive responses from people.
I concur!! Brother is Reliable and inexpensive. I use a Brother HL2270DW and could not be happier.
I can remember in the early 80's buying a printer and a fax machine the same week. The printer was $7,500 and the fax was $7,000 and it was the old really slow unit with the curly yellow paper.
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Ace1

Post by Ace1 »

Had an old HP 4L for over 20 years ... A turtle but a tank.
Finally had to replace it and decided to switch to a Brother based on similar commentary
on this forum. Acquired the 5470DW this past January on sale about $200.
I am quite happy with it so far, it is VERY fast, and love the wireless printing from the couch with the ipad.
And still working off the original toner cartridge. Will acquire the high volume cartridge
when the time comes at a small incremental cost over the standard one ($125 vs 80 I think).
Believe you can get something around $100 in the 2xxx series if you are looking to save some cash.
I need to do a fair amount of printing so a higher volume and speed for the small extra dough
works for me. Can't say I'll get another 20 years out of this one but even if I get 5 or 7 or so it still is
a minimal cost per year!
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sat Feb 07, 2015 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

I have a Canon MX892 printer/scanner/fax I bought on special at Staples that was great until one day the wireless feature quit working. I'm using Windows 7, and there are tons of others out there who have experienced the same problem with no solution.

Avoid a Canon would be my advice. :annoyed
persimmon_tree

Post by persimmon_tree »

Brother HL-2270DW $77.99 today at Amazon
http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2270DW ... rds=2270dw
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Some experiences and opinions -

1. I still use a Brother HL1440 Laser for some things - ten years old and works on Windows 7 64 bit (to my pleasant surprise :happy ). One nice aspect of this printer (not sure if this is true of other brother printers) is that when the toner gets low.out - it just stops vs. the HPs I have - which keep printing with parts of the pages messed up. I don't have this issue/problem now - but a few years ago, some specialized software I use had some alignment/formatting issues with this Brother vs. a "real" HP branded printer.

2. I am strongly biased against ink-jet printers - it seems to me they use a lot of expensive ink (both color and B&W) compared to B&W lasers, as well as the tendency of ink-jet printed sheets to "bleed" if they get moist/wet. A color ink-jet, to me, can make sense as an auxiliary printer for the small amount of color printing actually necessary.

3. While Multi-function devices (printer, fax -in/out - scanner) can conserve space - the big risk/problem (I had this TWICE!) is that they may be more expensive AND when one function breaks - you have to junk/replace the whole thing. It may be that the more modern/recent units may not carry the same risks.

4. Beware the risk(s) of upgrading your Windows operating system and not having a printer driver that works. If you find some functions not working in the newer Windows, search the internet for workarounds/solutions. For example, I have an HP 1200 laser and an OKIDATA 320 dot-matrix that had some functions that were not working in Windows 7 - 64 bit. I thought I would have to replace both, otherwise very functional printers for what I need and want. BUT - thankfully :D - an internet search located (for each printer) a VERY obscure Windows 7 printer setting/option that cleared up the problem perfectly and meant that I did not need to replace either perfectly good printer.
Topic Author
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Thanks for the recommendations/suggestions/reviews.

I ordered a Brother HL2270DW from Staples. Should arrive today. I decided to keep it simple as I already have a fax machine set up in my office.

Ed
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I was at Staples looking at the laser printers a week or so ago. It is amazing how the printers are not that expensive anymore. Just the ink to refill them!
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

The HP Laserjet P2035 mono laser works well for me for large volume mono printing. (About 20 ppm)
It has an option for duplex printing, but you have to put the papers through a second time yourself, per the
instructions that popup on the screen. The laser is much more cost effective for large volume printing.

I print very little color, so I also have a wireless HP color inkjet in an unused room. This keeps it off the desk.
Cheap printer, expensive ink, but not used a lot.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

It is amazing how the printers are not that expensive anymore. Just the ink to refill them!
Actually - this is a very old business model! A hundred years ago (or so), Eastman Kodak made money on film and film developing/printing until anti-trust efforts resulted in unbundling the different aspects of photography. In the earlier days of the IBM 'big iron' mainframe computers, IBM gave away the software - and made money on the hardware.
Munir

Post by Munir »

HueyLD wrote:Another vote for Brother MFC.

Costco has a good one on sale: http://www.costco.com/.product.11631987 ... loedViewCP
Brother MFC-7460DN Black & White All-in-One Laser Printer

Features: Print/Copy/Scan/Fax, Networking, Duplex (2-sided) Printing, Auto Document Feeder

Valid 12/2/2013 through 12/8/2013. While Supplies Last

Online Price $239.99
Less -$70.00
Your Price $169.99

Shipping & Handling included
+1. Bought this model earlier this year and very happy with it.
lump532

Post by lump532 »

Another vote for Brother products. I have a mono laser printer that just keeps kicking. Cartridges last forever and the knockoffs are really cheep. This printer has lasted so long I want to replace it (for new features) but can't justify it.

I can't speak about multi-function machines, but lately I have recommended the HL-2270DW to family and friends. It's under $100 and has duplex and wireless features.

http://www.amazon.com/Brother-HL-2270DW ... er+printer

Cartridges $12

http://www.amazon.com/Compatible-Brothe ... ords=tn450
newboggler

Brother MFC-L2740DW

Post by newboggler »

I just bought myself new printer - Brother MFC-L2740DW (B&W) from Staples for $137 after coupons and rebate
Nice printer with automatic duplex print/scan/copy/fax !

Was tired of my hp photosmart for cartridge refill and dried out cartridges (i used costco to refill cartridge)

New printer in shipping ... hopefully it will last years !

My print volume is 300 pages / year...
fishboat

Post by fishboat »

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCLASS- ... er+printer

Been very good to me...works great, easy setup. I finally got of the inkjet treadmill..great move for me.
cheesepep

Post by cheesepep »

Brother all-in-one mono laser printer. Any kind will do.