Recommendations for flash drive and head phones

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
am

Recommendations for flash drive and head phones

Post by am »

Can someone make recommendations for:

(1) best headphones for the lowest price for my IPAD mini?

(2) best flash drive for the price preferably 128-256gb?

Thanks.
walkabout

Re: Recommendations for flash drive and head phones

Post by walkabout »

Re the headphones...

I have these and like them:
Lg Tone (Hbs-700) Wireless Bluetooth Stereo Headset - Bulk Packaging - Black/orange
http://amzn.com/B006J7FH3S

They are wireless (Bluetooth). Controls on the earphones allow you to start/stop/pause/skip and adjust volume.

If you can't tell by the picture in the link, most of the headset rests on your shoulder/neck area with the earbud portion actually in the ear. I find them comfortable and unobtrusive when working or working out (primarily walking/running). Mine last about 4-5 hours per charge.

Sometimes I wish that I also had some over the ear headphones as wearing in-ear earphones can become uncomfortable. I don't have personal experience with wireless over the ear earphones, so I can't make a specific recommendation.
4stripes

Post by 4stripes »

For good headphones, look at the sub $100 Grado models. Grado is an established audiophile brand.

Most of the mass market stuff (Beats) is going for style and status over sound. They often have the same sort of tubby bass exaggerated treble sound, across the whole range of prices. The less expensive Grado's have a similar signature as their flagships at less cost.
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
magellan

Post by magellan »

am wrote:Can someone make recommendations for:
That's not much to work with. Headphones are all about tradeoffs, so it'll help if you offer some thoughts about what's most important and your budget.

These Sony MDR7506 Professional Headphones ($99) are what I use at home when I'm not worried about bulk and want great sound.

Jim
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

am wrote:
Read the reviews on Amazon and Newegg.
I'd buy USB 3.0 if you can afford it.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

am wrote:Can someone make recommendations for:

Thanks.

I'm not sure what you want a 128GB flash drive for
Flash memory has a write-wear issue.
After a certain number of writes, the flash
drive becomes non-functional.
For SSDs I've looked into the
total #'s of writes but I have not on flash
drives. Likely they are much lower.

If you just want to keep a backup of something
I usually just get USB hard drives for that.
A 1TB drive is small and powered by USB
and is cheaper per GB.

I've used 32GB flash drives as a bootable
Drive along with a suite of programs for demos
so you can do a lot with just 32GB.
yukonjack

Post by yukonjack »

The latest Consumer Reports has a nice short review of head phones. Take a look.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

If you're talking about thumb drives, I wouldn't get anything bigger than a 32GB at this time.

If you mean an SSD (solid state drive), you can get a Crucial m500 on sale today, Cyber Monday at Amazon.
$90 for 120GB
$144 for 240 GB
I assume the price will go back up on Tuesday.
I have the earlier version of this drive, the m4, and it works great.

It's actually an internal drive, but you can pop into one of these without any technical know-how whatsoever: http://amzn.com/B0058YY202 (price bounces around between $13 and $16 usually).
MitchL

Post by MitchL »

nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

I use Sennheiser PXC 250 noise cancelling headphones and really like them. They come with a nice travel pouch that fits nicely into my backpack.
Hexdump

Post by Hexdump »

yukonjack wrote:The latest Consumer Reports has a nice short review of head phones. Take a look.
Curious in that they don't have a "Best Buy". Probably because the recommended models are a bit pricey.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

1) http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=1 ... 1&format=2

Headphones are very subjective to taste (do you like classical, pop, R&B, etc...). You could go with open or closed over the ear phones and they give very different sounds. With that said the Monoprice headphones fit the guideline for best phones for the lowest price. They are by far the best cheap headphones I've ever used. Many people say they are comparable to typically recommended headphones that cost $100 or more (just read the reviews on monoprice). Monoprice manages to achieve this by buying up designs for cheap and selling identical products as more expensive name brands only with a different label. The biggest downside of these headphones is comfort. If I wear them for a few hours they start to bother me. My old Yamaha open headphones were much more comfortable.

But, depending on your tastes/needs they may not be for you.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

MathWizard wrote:
I'm not sure what you want a 128GB flash drive for
Flash memory has a write-wear issue.
After a certain number of writes, the flash
drive becomes non-functional.
For SSDs I've looked into the
total #'s of writes but I have not on flash
drives. Likely they are much lower.
SSDs are Flash memory. Different technologies within Flash memory allow different number of write cycles (MLC vs SLC flash for example).

Regardless of SSD/HCSD/USB the number of writes is high enough that it isn't of concern unless you are completely erasing the drive continuously, which isn't practical unless you are using this in an industrial setting. It comes out to a few months of continuous writing at max speed in the worst case scenario. In real life scenarios, they last for over a decade easily (on average, some real life scenarios might only be 2-3 years but you would be a very heavy home user).

Also, the flash never really becomes non-functional. Erases just fail to actually erase but you can continue to read the flash and get all of your information off (that you haven't corrupted by attempting to erase it). A SSD will typically lock you out of erasing anything and will allow the contents to be read for a few months.
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Padlin

Post by Padlin »

I've had a set of http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PX-100 ... B000089GN3, low cost, great sound, held up well. Bought a set of their PX250's to get even better sound but I couldn't tell te difference, and they developed problems with the wiring in less then a year. On both the foam earpads wear out but you can buy replacements cheap. For in-ear I use the Boss IE2 buds, work well at the gym and mowing the lawn (with a silencing headset on over them). I prefer the Sennheiser px100's at all other times though.
Regards | Bob
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

pinecrest wrote:Not headphones, but I came across this the other day: Noisy Neighborhoods Made Quieter With Sono Noise Canceling Device It's a little device that you attach to a window to cancel out sounds. It hasn't reached production stage, but wow, that sort of device would be a great boon for a lot of people.
I hope they hurry up. My Cone of Silence is showing wear and tear.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

linenfort wrote:...
If you mean an SSD (solid state drive), you can get a Crucial m500 on sale today, Cyber Monday at Amazon.
$144 for 240 GB
I assume the price will go back up on Tuesday.
Yep, back up to $165 :(