Eyeglass Lenses @ Costco

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hlfo718

Eyeglass Lenses @ Costco

Post by hlfo718 »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone uses Costco Optical. I went to my local eyeglass shop yesterday to replace my frame and lenses. I was told I need the anti reflective and photochromic coating for my lenses, which I agree since I noticed I am seeing more glares and the bright light does bother my eyes. Even though I have insurance, the co payment for Crizal is $70 and Transition is another $65. To me that is a rip off because I find the online prices to be similar to my co payments so what's the point of having insurance? Just wondering if Costco has similar coating for less and how is their quality?

Thankz
Madbull

Re: Eyeglass Lenses @ Costco

Post by Madbull »

I have not used them, but also have a sub-par vision plan. I actually located a few frames that I wanted by looking at a few different places, and then went to http://www.framesdirect.com. I was leary about ordering online, but as long as you give them all the info they are identical to ordering from anywhere else. You do need your eye doc to provide you with your PD, (pupillary distance), but that jsut takes a phone call if they didn't write it on your Rx.

I ended up getting a set of regular glasses, as well as a set of Rx sunglasses. I had an issue with the coating on my sunglasses getting marred after less than 2 months, and all I had to do was send them in and they made a new set of lenses and shipped them back to me.

The only downside is that you'll need to send in your paperwork for your claim since they don't take insurance, but in the end it was a 'fiscally responsible' move for me to go through them.

Hope that helps, just another option to think about. :D
EagertoLearnMore

Post by EagertoLearnMore »

We have used Costco optical for approximately 5 years and have been very satisfied with the price, quality, service, and speed. Any small repairs will be done while you wait. Adjustments for fit are also done while you wait without charge. The selection is sufficient to make a good choice. Their Kirkland brand are always less expensive than designer brands and hold up well. We have purchased both and now just buy the Kirkland brand if we can find a style we like. If you like a style, they keep the prescription and frame on file for future purchases. They also run coupon specials so keep looking at the coupon books if you need an additional pair in the future.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

We only buy our glasses from Costco. I believe the anti-reflection coating is included in the price, and don't know about transition feature. However, the service is great. I recently got a pair of bifocal sunglasses and didn't have the optometrist do the reading portion at the correct distance for reading car gauges, so I went back and he redid the calculation and Costco redid the glasses - all for free! There's a reason Consumer Reports rates then #1! (IIRC)
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Retread

Post by Retread »

Costco is excellent. The glasses are top quality and the price is good. Several years ago I had a lens crack near the screw on the lens, and Costco refunded the full purchase price even though I wasn't replacing the glasses at Costco.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis
dad2000

Post by dad2000 »

Costco has a limited selection, but good quality, and we also exclusively purchase from them.

My daughter got 2 pairs of eyeglasses for about 50% of what they optical stores were charging for 1 pair. Now we're confident that at least one pair will last until her prescription changes.
Topic Author
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Thank you everyone. I tried the online route once, I used $39 glasses but the glasses was too small so it became very uncomfortable. I also opted for their own version of transition, definitely not as good since it has a permanent green shade. But the price was really low, about $100 for the frame and lenses.

I'm going to drop by Costco this week to see what they offer. I really trust them given their money back policy. Wish every business is like Costco.
kramer

Post by kramer »

Some info on Costco and eyeglass replacement:

http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=119415
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

I recently came across this thread. It's an interesting glimpse into how opticians think about costco

"What makes Costco so tricky is that they seem to defy the old saying price, quality, service....pick two. They have great prices, offer great service (returns, not frame selection) and they use better quality than other low price operations."

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/showthr ... nst-Costco
Topic Author
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

Thanks Random. You can almost interchange Costco with Vanguard in the discussion.
davebarnes

Fan of Costco

Post by davebarnes »

Big fan.
Had my eye exam with the doc who rents the space inside the Costco. Very affordable at $120.
Got the exact glasses I wanted at Costco.
Happy 2 years later.
Would highly recommend Costco.
A nerd living in Denver
BigFoot48

Re: Fan of Costco

Post by BigFoot48 »

davebarnes wrote:Big fan.
Had my eye exam with the doc who rents the space inside the Costco. Very affordable at $120.
My guy is $65! (Cash only)
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
orlandoman

Post by orlandoman »

- Use Costco for my glasses
- About 1/2 the price of lenses & frames from Lenscrafters & Sams Club (it is a slightly older lens version, but no issue with quality of sight)
- As mentioned, smaller selection that many retailers like Lenscrafters
- Didn't like the fit after I got them & they replaced with no hassle
- Will continue to use them
"Borrow money from pessimists -- they don't expect it back"
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

over 20 years , never had any problem at all
sport

Post by sport »

hlfo718 wrote:Thanks Random. You can almost interchange Costco with Vanguard in the discussion.
My two favorite companies to do business with. :D
Jeff
pinecrest

Post by pinecrest »

Last edited by pinecrest on Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

pinecrest wrote:Does one still need membership to buy glasses at Costco? Last time I was there (many years ago), you could get an eye exam without membership, but membership was needed to have prescriptions filled. I'm wondering if anything has changed.
It depends on the state in which the Costco is located.
covertfantom

Post by covertfantom »

I stopped buying vision insurance from my employer when I found out that after all was said and done, the insurance + copays ended up being about as expensive as Costco. Bought my contacts through Costco and haven't looked back...
mbres60

Post by mbres60 »

My dh bought two pairs of glasses from Costco a few years ago and was very pleased. He recently had his eyes examined and needs new glasses again. He stopped in Costco and must have asked the sales rep about insurance. They are not part of our insurance plan but the rep suggested my dh call our insurance and see if they reimburse. Lo and behold they do! After submitting paperwork we will get a check back for $100. Wish we knew this a few years ago! :oops:
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

hlfo718 wrote: ... online prices to be similar to my co payments so what's the point of having insurance?

I always wondered why this is insurance. Don't only people who need glasses buy it and aren't you only allowed to get new glasses every XX months?

Can I get oil change insurance for my car?
thomase

Post by thomase »

I use to have Vision Service Plan insurance through work. At the time I believe the premium was $120 per year, and then with all the add-ons and costlier frames at the optometrist I was going to, I was paying out $300+ for a pair of glasses. The last few years, I've been doing the Costco eye exam (vaguely believe it's $45-50) and glasses, the total price is less than $200, plus Costco sometimes has $30 off coupons for glasses. With that I don't see the need to buy the vision plans. Even better, recently I've been getting eye exams for the kids through Kaiser, the exam and prescription are part of the regular health insurance plan so no charge at all for that. Then I bring the prescription over to Costco, best deal yet. Another way I saved was by getting my regular glasses through Costco and getting another pair of prescription sunglasses online.
lightheir

Post by lightheir »

FWIW - I have photochromic lenses on my glasses (not costco though) and I don't like them.

The darkening effect is so mild on typical photochromic treatments for dailywear sunglasses that they're almost useless for me. But they look dark,and I end up looking like that goofy guy wearing sunglasses indoors for at least 5 minutes every time I go into a building from outdoors -every single time unless it's night time. They LOOK like they should block light to the observer, but the light actually blocked is essentially negligible given the clear baseline state of the lens.

I don't believe any photochromic lens can give you greater than 25% darkening (could be wrong on this but I've never seen one); to put it in perspective, a typical useful sunglass lens for a sunny day is upwards of 85% darkening. Using a 25% darkened sunglass would be near-useless on a sunny day. (I know 25% sounds like a lot, but the perceived effect is very, very low. It's negligible for me - I'd rather have nontinted glasses and just avoid that indoor-sunglasses look.)
denovo

Post by denovo »

I buy from Costco, better deal than the optometrist's office even though our insurance policy, VSP, used to consider the optometrist to be in-network and Costco, out of network. We would have to submit the claims for Costco ourselves. VSP belatedly added Costco to the network finally.
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Highly recommend Costco eyeglasses. Experience, price, and quality have been great. :D
travellight

Post by travellight »

Costco glasses are great.

I also tried the photochromic feature and did not care for it. It was difficult when it was my sole and primary pair and I tried skiing with them. If I went from brilliant sunshine down a run in the shade, I could barely see because the process of changing to unshaded was so slow.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I am a retired optometrist. I worked as an eye doctor for 37 years, graduate of UC Berkeley (go Bears!), and my attitude is this:

Go someplace that gives you good service, where you're satisfied, that suits your personality, and that fits your needs and budget.

Costco is reputable and does a good job. If there's an error, if someone screwed up, their policy is fair and reasonable for "re-do's." That's what it's all about, isn't it? Product, service, warrantee?

Private optometrists, optical companies, ophthalmologists, and even on-line places have to conform with FDA regulations and tolerances in optical lenses, but when it comes to eyeglass frames and follow-up service, they're not all alike.

When you buy online, where are you going to go when your glasses need adjustment? (answer: to a brick and mortar optical place who will either do it for free or charge you). If you need some kind of bifocal or progressive lens, I personally feel comfortable having an experienced person take the measurements.

Not everyone is going to be happy with Costco because of the selection of frames. The eyewear business is very much about fashion. If you're happy with the selection Costco or another discount place offers, hey, that's great! Go there. If you want something upscale, go to a boutique optical place.

Isn't it great that we have choices?

It was not that many decades ago that the choice of eyeglass frames was very limited (think 1940s, 1950s, and earlier). Now it's a multi-billion dollar business with some giant players.

Finally, the value of a professional eye exam cannnot and should not be ignored. I've personally seen many thousands of patients in my career and during that time saved not only some patients' vision, but saved lives as well. If you're in your 40s or 50s and have not had a "real" exam, do it asap.

Disclosure and warning: My own father, now age 93, who did not live nearby, ignored my advice to have an eye exam when he expressed complaints. The exam would have been covered by insurance and/or medicare. He is now virtually blind from glaucoma (quite often a painless condition), and no medication is going to bring back his lost vision. It pains me to write this, but some people are just plain stubborn and stupid.
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
frequentT

Post by frequentT »

Costco Optical is excellent. Staff is well trained and aim to please.

We have given them challenging assignments and they have been able to meet them all: from single vision, progressives, adjustments for computer monitors, RX sunglasses, high refractive index lenses.

Experts I know in the field tell me their lab is at the top of industry quality.

Use your Costco AMEX card and enjoy even more savings!
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

I have had good experiences at both Costco and WalMart Optical Centers. Both have performed emergency repairs when I have been out of town. Also, their prices cannot be beat.
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Ricola wrote:Highly recommend Costco eyeglasses. Experience, price, and quality have been great. :D
Agree 100%. The only downside I think is limited frame selection.
teacher

Post by teacher »

DH gets his frames and lenses from Costco, and he is very pleased with the quality, price and service. I prefer rimless frames, but Costco does not carry those, so I buy ultra light, titanium rimless frames at Eyeglasses123 online for almost half the price charged at the opticians. Costco won't put lenses in rimless frames so I have to pay full price at the opticians. Also, our insurance reimburses a portion of the cost of online frames.
flight23

Post by flight23 »

Old thread, I know, but it led me here... Just an update, Costco also allows you to bring frames from anywhere and they will make the lenses for their standard lens cost plus $15. Buy anywhere, get the lenses there.
silvercertificate

Post by silvercertificate »

Flight23 makes a good point.

I recently got frames and SV lenses from Costco. I am very happy with the quality and service and saved about 50% vs. Lenscrafters. As mentioned before, you can take any frames to Costco or Wal-mart and get lenses for a small extra fee. When I was shopping for frames, I found some that I liked for $200 at Lenscrafters but found the exact same frames on Amazon for $85. There are lots of ways to get the fashion and quality that you desire for much less than full retail.
vssaokar

Post by vssaokar »

I bought two sets of glasses and lenses from Costco last week. They have limited choice when it comes to frames. But very good quality and competitive prices. Extremely good service. They had second pair of frames for $40 off. Not a bad deal!
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Heard Clark Howard discussing eyeglasses on his show and Costco was in the top 5 if not number 1 for cost and satisfaction. Warby Parker and Zenni were also up there.
STINGRAY75

Post by STINGRAY75 »

Hi, I'm Brian and I'm a Costcoholic. The saving on eye glasses for two covers the annual membership which got us started. The quality kept us there. A lot of what the boutique shops charge for xtra for is standard at Costco. You can bring in a precription from your favorite Eye clinic or get an exam from the in-store provider. If all stores are like WI stores, The in-store Dr is a sub-contractor.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

I too have purchased glasses online and at warehouse stores. However, I doubt that you will be able to Crizal or Transition lenses for less than your insurance copay. You may be able to get a less expensive anti glare and UV protection solution. In that case though, I would also look into your cost through insurance. In other words when comparing the Costco cost vs the insurance copay, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
sport

Post by sport »

Katietsu wrote:I too have purchased glasses online and at warehouse stores. However, I doubt that you will be able to Crizal or Transition lenses for less than your insurance copay. You may be able to get a less expensive anti glare and UV protection solution. In that case though, I would also look into your cost through insurance. In other words when comparing the Costco cost vs the insurance copay, make sure you are comparing apples to apples.
Since Costco came to our area, we found that Costco without insurance was less expensive than using network providers with insurance. So, we have not paid vision insurance premiums for a long time. The money saved by not paying premiums has been more than we have spent on glasses at Costco. We have also bought Transition lenses there.