Brooks Brothers outlet vs retail

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Brooks Brothers outlet vs retail

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Based on recommendations in several threads here, I have gone ahead and got myself two dress shirts from a nearby BB outlet. The shirts I have are from the line 346. I am aware that this line is made for outlets-only and is not sold in retail stores. Reading more, there seem to be a lot of reports/reviews that the BB merchandise sold in their outlet stores is somehow inferior to the ones available in retail stores and won't last as long. I know that its tougher (although not impossible) to get the 1818 and golden fleece line products at the BB outlet.

What is bogleheads take on this -- do you prefer buying retail over outlet? If you buy retail-only what are your reasons for doing that? If you have bought from the outlet, what has been your experience AFA the quality of materials/craftsmanship is concerned. Buying from BB outlets, do you stay away from lines exclusively made for outlets, and look for bargains in "retail-only" lines?

Thanks in advance!
Grt2bOutdoors

Re: Brooks Brothers outlet vs retail

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

I've purchased slacks and shirts from both the outlet, retail and online at BB. Generally speaking, the slacks from both places - retail and outlet are of similar quality and you will get your money's worth. The shirt quality has gone downhill over the last few years, you could buy a shirt of similar value (except the white shirts) from Jos A Bank or Mens Wearhouse and save a couple of bucks in the process if purchased at the yearly half off sale. To answer your question, I would go ahead and buy if the merchandise fulfilled your needs and fit well.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

Outlets all the way, I say.
upperleftcoast

Post by upperleftcoast »

I've bought from both retail and outlet. Retail is almost always better. Never been happy w/the merchadise made specifically for the outlet.
The BB shirts are still pretty darn good, and in my estimation superior (slightly) to JABank. Wait for the sales and/or get to know a sales associate at the local store so they can alert you to unadvertised specials. Best of luck.
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

TheOscarGuy wrote:What is bogleheads take on this -- do you prefer buying retail over outlet?
Neither. I buy online, directly from BB, during sales/promotions.

I'm suspicious of the quality of items made especially for the outlet.
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

upperleftcoast wrote:I've bought from both retail and outlet. Retail is almost always better. Never been happy w/the merchadise made specifically for the outlet.
The BB shirts are still pretty darn good, and in my estimation superior (slightly) to JABank. Wait for the sales and/or get to know a sales associate at the local store so they can alert you to unadvertised specials. Best of luck.
Thanks for the input.
My recent purchase, I spent about $45 on a shirt. For me personally, that price was still a tad high -- I almost never spend as much on a shirt. I imagine that even with sale the retail prices will be higher than that which might make the shirt in BB retail stores out of my budget :(
In what way did you find the retail store products better? Was is purely construction, styling or something else perhaps : durability, customer service.
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

I have found a difference in the shirt quality in retail vs outlet as well. Retail seems to last longer...still have a few shirts that are 8 years old and I wear regular showing little wear.

Lately I've been getting Charles Tyrwhitt. The fit is better than Brooks if you measure yourself properly, they have better selection, and the quality is pretty good. Prices are similar too, and they often have 4 shirts for $199 and then they send out 20% off coupons and such. Oldest one I have is 2 years old but it's holding up well
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

I still shop at outlets, but I prefer to buy from the standard retail store in order to get the best quality. You can get great deals when clothing retailers offer clearance prices + extra % off coupon codes + free shipping.
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

1818 and BB retail shirts (must iron OCBDs) are made in America.

The outlet line will not be made in America.

This doesn't NECESSARILY mean anything in and of itself but the Made-in-America stuff I get from Brooks Brothers is generally higher quality fabric (more breathable and durable) and has better (more durable) stitching. I also think it looks better.

I do agree with the other poster above that the quality difference doesn't seem as stark with pants. So if I were mixing and matching on a budget I would personally get an 1818 suit and a dress shirt / OCBD from the retail store. Ties, trousers, pocket squares, socks, etc. I would get at the outlet if I wanted to save money.

Keep in mind this is all coming from a guy who likes recraftable (American and English made) shoes that cost in the $300 to $700 range though -- I am really obsessed with clothing and footwear quality & materials -- and I don't often find value in the "cheap" stuff. I do acknowledge that sometimes a shoes that are 10% 'better' can cost 200% the price and therefore many people won't find "value" in them.

But I'd argue the 1818 suits and the (must iron, USA-made) OCBD's from Brooks Brothers retail stores are a "Value" buy even at their higher prices vs. the outlets. Toyota Camry at 35k vs. Ford Pinto at 20k ... the Camry is the better value.
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

Oh one other thing there's no reason to every pay retail at a BB store (aside from the Edward Green english shoes which are never discounted)

There will be several 30% / 40% off sails the week after Thanksgiving. Also there are friends and family sales I think 2x a year that are 30% off. An 1818 suit at 30% off might be $800 which will be pricing approaching the outlet prices but quality and fabric that is much better...
four7s

Post by four7s »

Traveler shirts from Jos. Bank are worth every penny.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

four7s wrote:Traveler shirts from Jos. Bank are worth every penny.
Agreed. I shopped at Men's Warehouse for a few years and the clothes started to fray and fall apart. I was surprised for the cost. I finally stopped going there and started shopping at Jos A. Bank. Very expensive, but if you buy when they run their sales you can get good deals and tons better quality than Men's Warehouse. The Shirts are heavier material. I can not see myself buying clothes at any other place now. Very satisfied.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

bellemastiff wrote:1818 and BB retail shirts (must iron OCBDs) are made in America.

The outlet line will not be made in America.

This doesn't NECESSARILY mean anything in and of itself but the Made-in-America stuff I get from Brooks Brothers is generally higher quality fabric (more breathable and durable) and has better (more durable) stitching. I also think it looks better.

I do agree with the other poster above that the quality difference doesn't seem as stark with pants. So if I were mixing and matching on a budget I would personally get an 1818 suit and a dress shirt / OCBD from the retail store. Ties, trousers, pocket squares, socks, etc. I would get at the outlet if I wanted to save money.

Keep in mind this is all coming from a guy who likes recraftable (American and English made) shoes that cost in the $300 to $700 range though -- I am really obsessed with clothing and footwear quality & materials -- and I don't often find value in the "cheap" stuff. I do acknowledge that sometimes a shoes that are 10% 'better' can cost 200% the price and therefore many people won't find "value" in them.

But I'd argue the 1818 suits and the (must iron, USA-made) OCBD's from Brooks Brothers retail stores are a "Value" buy even at their higher prices vs. the outlets. Toyota Camry at 35k vs. Ford Pinto at 20k ... the Camry is the better value.

Great post, and good recommendations on pants, socks etc. I think I will stick to outlets for those and start looking at retail only for shirts.
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Go Blue 99 wrote:I still shop at outlets, but I prefer to buy from the standard retail store in order to get the best quality. You can get great deals when clothing retailers offer clearance prices + extra % off coupon codes + free shipping.
Where/how do you end up getting coupons? Is it as simple as say, using the store once for some shopping, using BB online, or registering? I may be a little late for post-thanksgiving coupons, but I might try to get them for post-Xmas sale.

Thanks for all the pointers!
yatesd

Post by yatesd »

Not exactly, the question.... however in my opinion the Traveler shirts when they are on sale at Josabanks @ 3 for $99 are one of the best deals going. I also try to grab their Signature Gold suits on clearance when they hover about $300.

Although I am frugal, I tend to like my shirts a certain way (pinpoint oxford, 100% cotton, and wrinkle free).

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Su ... 50_9220000

http://www.josbank.com/menswear/shop/Su ... 50_9327066

Edit: Combine with www.ebates.com for a 4% rebate. Maybe I spend too much, but ebates has sent me checks totaling $352 since I joined. Tip: no need to install software or be on their email list. I simply login to their site before going to my intended shopping site. They share their referral commission with me... easy-peasy.
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

TheOscarGuy wrote:
Go Blue 99 wrote:I still shop at outlets, but I prefer to buy from the standard retail store in order to get the best quality. You can get great deals when clothing retailers offer clearance prices + extra % off coupon codes + free shipping.
Where/how do you end up getting coupons? Is it as simple as say, using the store once for some shopping, using BB online, or registering? I may be a little late for post-thanksgiving coupons, but I might try to get them for post-Xmas sale.

Thanks for all the pointers!
Good question. I think if you just purchase any item at the retail store (even a pair of socks) and 'register' then I imagine you would get the card in the mail with the Friends and Family sales events?

Option #2 -- load the web site each day starting on black friday and each day for a week the homepage will say "XYZ category 30% off today"

Option #3 -- go to retail store, purchase any item and open a BB charge card to pay for it. I hate charge cards personally but I did this anyway. They send you 'card member' promotions for 30% off etc a few times a year (this is how I bought my 1818 suit for 30% off.)

Also one correction to my post above, not ALL 1818 suits are made in America ( I think some are made in Italy and other countries ) but many / most are (just check the label).

Also one other addendum the "non iron" shirts from BB are also considered durable and good quality from what I've heard, but n.b. they are not made in America. I actually buy the must-iron not because of patriotism -- I like the more casual (Slightly wrinkled?) look with trousers and a tweed jacket, for instance, but more importantly, the "non iron" shirts don't BREATHE as well (only an issue if you overheat easily... which I do in this age where everyone cranks the thermostat to 70 in winter...)
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

Oh two other tips (can you tell I'm a bit of a dandy? haha)

* there's a forum called AskAndyAboutYourClothes and it has a long thread (bumped often) titled "When's the next Brooks Brothers sale"... it's a great resource to stay patient but then jump on any deals the members find.

* Dec 26 is the biggest sale of the year (I *think I have the date right, and I *think it's that one day/date only), but I've heard there is less size availability on the Dec 26 sale.

Side note, if anyone is into SHOES, the BB brand of Peal shoes are bench made in Northamption England (and recraftable). At $500 to $600 they are much more expensive than Allen Edmonds (who makes the "value" option in recraftable shoes, in the $300 to $400 range). But the Peal shoes ARE eligible for the 30% discounts and then are a much better value (IMO the finish and leather quality is a step above Allen Edmonds, who I also like). Now again I should be transparent, shoes are something I never recommend anyone "cheap out on".

If I might attempt to plant the seed that initially expensive (Recraftable) shoes can indeed be cheaper in the long run -- Prince Charles has worn a single pair of black oxford dress shoes for 40 years now (recrafted/resoled several times, I believe)
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/artic ... cling.html
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

For what it's worth, over the last two months I've seen 2 sales advertised as "30% off with Corporate Membership" which includes, from what I've looked at, shell cordovan shoes, belts, and bags. Great deal for their top of the line stuff.

I've never been to an outlet store, but I like the clearance stuff on the website although the selection is a bit limited. Semi-annual sales are good too.
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

bellemastiff wrote:Oh two other tips (can you tell I'm a bit of a dandy? haha)

* there's a forum called AskAndyAboutYourClothes and it has a long thread (bumped often) titled "When's the next Brooks Brothers sale"... it's a great resource to stay patient but then jump on any deals the members find.

* Dec 26 is the biggest sale of the year (I *think I have the date right, and I *think it's that one day/date only), but I've heard there is less size availability on the Dec 26 sale.

Side note, if anyone is into SHOES, the BB brand of Peal shoes are bench made in Northamption England (and recraftable). At $500 to $600 they are much more expensive than Allen Edmonds (who makes the "value" option in recraftable shoes, in the $300 to $400 range). But the Peal shoes ARE eligible for the 30% discounts and then are a much better value (IMO the finish and leather quality is a step above Allen Edmonds, who I also like). Now again I should be transparent, shoes are something I never recommend anyone "cheap out on".

If I might attempt to plant the seed that initially expensive (Recraftable) shoes can indeed be cheaper in the long run -- Prince Charles has worn a single pair of black oxford dress shoes for 40 years now (recrafted/resoled several times, I believe)
Thanks a lot for all your suggestions! I don't need any suites, or shoes right now, but its good thing to know if I do, in the future. I still can not get myself to spend 3-digit sum on shoes yet :D I insist all my shoes be below 100.

I just looked at the forum you recommended and several threads on when is the next BB sale (I think I also saw styleforum). I will keep my eyes open for the December 4th sale, December 26th sale, and any post-thanksgiving sales. I doubt the stuff I need will be that high in demand, others on the posts have recommended pre-buying the merchandise and then doing a price adjustment.

Do they usually "couple" the 30-40% off with 15% corporate discount? I doubt it, but if yes, that would be a big discount. I got the corporate discount card from website called corporateshopping. Also got an email from BB confirming that I will now start receiving 15%.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

If anyone is interested, Jos A. Bank is running huge Black Friday sales.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

No, the corporate discount doesn't stack from my experience.

I rarely use the corporate discount except on those special sales I saw recently and when in an emergency, e.g. when I forgot to pack a belt on a business trip.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Outlets :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
swaption

Post by swaption »

bellemastiff wrote:Side note, if anyone is into SHOES, the BB brand of Peal shoes are bench made in Northamption England (and recraftable). At $500 to $600 they are much more expensive than Allen Edmonds (who makes the "value" option in recraftable shoes, in the $300 to $400 range). But the Peal shoes ARE eligible for the 30% discounts and then are a much better value (IMO the finish and leather quality is a step above Allen Edmonds, who I also like). Now again I should be transparent, shoes are something I never recommend anyone "cheap out on".

Alright, lest you fear that your perspective goes unacknowledged, I just put a pair of my Alden manufactured dress shoes originally purchased at Brooks Brothers into it's recrafting pouch yesterday. Always buy them at Brooks Brothers during the sale when their price is reduced. You don't mention Alden, but I think definitely higher up in the shoe pecking order as compared to Allen Edmonds. The Brooks dress calfskin bluchers (cap and plain toe) are usually Alden and I believe some of the shell cordovan. Did not know Peal could be recrafted, so you may have cost me some money here. It's kind of become a funny thing with me. With the recrafting, I so rarely buy a new pair of shoes, but when I do it is a big deal. Really like my Alden shoes and the equation just works in the long term, and you get to wear a really nice pair of shoes.

For shirts, I'll second the Charles Tyrwhitt recommendation. With specials, the shirts can be very cheap and nice quality. I have had much success at Hickey Freeman outlets for suits and pants. Some is outlet only, but you can find quite a bit that is the same as the store. Just this morning I threw out a receipt for 4 wool pants at $107 each, which was a home run given the quality, which I prefer to Brooks.
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Just curious: How do you guys justify the cost of recrafting? I guess I should answer my own question that if the shoe costs 600+ a few hundreds for recrafting isn't that big a deal. But then, the statement that they are really cheaper in the longer run isn't true, if I have to spend that much money recrafting.
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

swaption wrote:
bellemastiff wrote:Side note, if anyone is into SHOES, the BB brand of Peal shoes are bench made in Northamption England (and recraftable). At $500 to $600 they are much more expensive than Allen Edmonds (who makes the "value" option in recraftable shoes, in the $300 to $400 range). But the Peal shoes ARE eligible for the 30% discounts and then are a much better value (IMO the finish and leather quality is a step above Allen Edmonds, who I also like). Now again I should be transparent, shoes are something I never recommend anyone "cheap out on".

Alright, lest you fear that your perspective goes unacknowledged, I just put a pair of my Alden manufactured dress shoes originally purchased at Brooks Brothers into it's recrafting pouch yesterday. Always buy them at Brooks Brothers during the sale when their price is reduced. You don't mention Alden, but I think definitely higher up in the shoe pecking order as compared to Allen Edmonds. The Brooks dress calfskin bluchers (cap and plain toe) are usually Alden and I believe some of the shell cordovan. Did not know Peal could be recrafted, so you may have cost me some money here. It's kind of become a funny thing with me. With the recrafting, I so rarely buy a new pair of shoes, but when I do it is a big deal. Really like my Alden shoes and the equation just works in the long term, and you get to wear a really nice pair of shoes.

For shirts, I'll second the Charles Tyrwhitt recommendation. With specials, the shirts can be very cheap and nice quality. I have had much success at Hickey Freeman outlets for suits and pants. Some is outlet only, but you can find quite a bit that is the same as the store. Just this morning I threw out a receipt for 4 wool pants at $107 each, which was a home run given the quality, which I prefer to Brooks.
Alden makes a great shoe. IMO the quality of Peal is roughly on par with them. Note that Peal shoes are subbed out to other makers (such as Crockett and Jones).

To the other poster -- I also used to have a rule about "only shoes less than $100". In MY case I realized I was buying (and quickly wearing out / throwing away / donating) many pairs of 'cheap' shoes. That might not be the case with you of course!
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

TheOscarGuy wrote:Just curious: How do you guys justify the cost of recrafting? I guess I should answer my own question that if the shoe costs 600+ a few hundreds for recrafting isn't that big a deal. But then, the statement that they are really cheaper in the longer run isn't true, if I have to spend that much money recrafting.
It's a great question. I Actually wrote an article about this very question --
http://miadb.com/2013/11/17/five-reason ... expensive/
When you shop, don’t just consider the upfront cost of something–consider the long term cost, as well. For example, I used to purchase a pair of inexpensive black dress shoes about once a year; when they were scuffed and worn out (which didn’t take long, since they were often constructed poorly and of cheap leather), I’d donate them to Goodwill and purchase another pair. If I did this for a decade, at an purchase amount of $50, the total cost would come to $500. For that amount of money, I could have purchased Allen Edmonds Park Avenues and had enough extra cash to have them recrafted (in year six?) when they wore out. Note: sometimes, even when durability is taken into account, the American item will still cost “more per wear”. My point is, the extra “cost per wear” from USA-made items is usually much less than the upfront price implies, once durability and the item’s “useful lifetime” is taken into account.
It comes down to Cost per wear. AE Park Avenue worn 150 times a year for 10 years = 1,500 wears. Initial price $345 plus a $100 recrafting = $445 total cost to have the shoes in working condition for a decade. Cost per wear = $445 / 1,500 = $0.29 I think?

You have to do the same "cost per wear" math on the $75 dress shoe -- which depends largely on whether you keep it for 6, 12, 24 or 36 months before trashing it.

Now as I say in my blog post, sometimes the Allen Edmonds will still cost more per wear. (Sometimes the same. Sometimes less.) But I'd much prefer to wear a beautiful and well fitted shoe at $.29 per wear vs. a cheap-corrected-grain-leather, glued-on-sole shoe for $.19 per wear (let alone if they both cost $.29 per wear!)
simplesimon

Post by simplesimon »

As someone who has several pairs of AE's and are very happy with them (although I worry about the future of the company and may look to Alden if AE takes a quality turn for the worst), I agree with all of the above.
tdirgins

Post by tdirgins »

Having worked as a dress shirt and neckwear buyer for BB, I finally believe I am qualified to answer a question. :happy

At the time I was at BB (10 years ago), we were in the process of moving all of our shirt manufacturing to Hong Kong and Malaysia with the excpetion of OCBD (made in Garland, North Carolina) and custom shirts (also NC). Most of the retail shirts were 100's and 140's 2 ply cotton, while the majority of the outlet shirts were 80's 2-ply. Many of the manufacturers were the same--the only difference was the fabric, and sometimes the fit. All non-iron shirts were made abroad because of the technological requirements, including refrigerating the fabric!

The same was true for most of the other departments--everything is designed in-house and then farmed out for fabric weaving and manufacturing, with the exceptions listed above , neckwear (made in Long Island City (Queens), NY), and now some suits as mentioned previously (BB bought Southwick). The Outlet quality is still good, but it is what it is. Goods are wear-tested and fit-tested during the production process, and if something is "off", the item is rejected. We were pretty tough during these decisions and if it didn't make the grade, it was axed.
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Based on recommendations here (and the fact that Milano is not available for sale at outlets ;-) ) I got a couple of chinos from BB retail store and a couple of shirts as well. I am yet to take the jump and buy recraftable versatile leather boots. Its also difficult because I want to try them out first, and not many shops here stock them (almost every retailer asks me to visit their Boston store, which is a bit of a drive).
heartwood

Post by heartwood »

I've bought at both BB retail and outlets for many years. Most recent years purchases are no-iron dress shirts. I have a dozen or more. I find the quality similar between retail/outlet. I always shopped the sales and think I paid about $45/shirt for blue stripes in lots of four to get the discount.

A couple of years ago I tried similar shirts from Costco. http://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Signatur ... 44220.html I bought in the warehouse so no shipping cost.

The cut is slightly slimmer than the BB shirts but the quality is similar. The stripes are darker. The price is very different, $18 per shirt. I now buy the Costco shirts.

I've also gone with Costco wool trousers, made in Italy. Again similar or better quality than BB, generally for a lot less cost. I mostly buy already cuffed at Costco.
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Buy my no-iron BB shirts on-line or at their N. Michigan Ave store in Chicago, but only when they are on sale. I've tried Land's End shirts but they are not cut as full as those from BB.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Personally, I think the "346" outlet line is inferior quality, and I just wait for the sales at the regular stores. The "after-after Christmas" sale in January is usually the best.
Donnie Baseball Fan

Post by Donnie Baseball Fan »

abuss368 wrote:
I finally stopped going there and started shopping at Jos A. Bank. Very expensive, but if you buy when they run their sales you can get good deals and tons better quality than Men's Warehouse.
Do they ever not run their sales?
Topic Author
TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy »

Donnie Baseball Fan wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
I finally stopped going there and started shopping at Jos A. Bank. Very expensive, but if you buy when they run their sales you can get good deals and tons better quality than Men's Warehouse.
Do they ever not run their sales?
:D
I saw their ad yesterday on TV at a store -- it went something like "60--70% off" and "20% additional discount" right below that. In general, I much prefer buying from a store that does not have such "sale" gimmicks (or have them as rarely as possible). That to me is a good indication that the price I pay is going to be what the garment costs most of the year.
boglebob321

Post by boglebob321 »

Someone bought a tie for me once at a BB outlet store. I was very disappointed.
bellemastiff

Post by bellemastiff »

PSA: BB suits & sports coats are 30% off today (heading in myself shortly...)
kbrinaldi

Post by kbrinaldi »

Why not ebay (if you know your size)?

Cheaper & green!