winter wool jacket

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
ag1

winter wool jacket

Post by ag1 »

I want to buy a nice wool jacket that would let me handle New York winters but is nice to wear and of good quality. I am generally tired of buying cheap quality - made in china or XXXX ( name your favorite third world country) stuff. I would rather spend on good quality things but am finding it pretty hard to locate anything.

If wool is not appropriate for this weather - I would love to hear your suggestions of brands that you really like.

Regards
Ag1
El Jefe

Re: winter wool jacket

Post by El Jefe »

Filson
gravlax

Post by gravlax »

I got an icebreakers jacket, which is really nice, but was rather expensive.

Here in San Francisco, the Uniqlo brand has been getting quite popular. I'm not sure about the quality, but the prices seem pretty darn reasonable:

http://www.uniqlo.com/us/home
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Pendleton.

But, a jacket in a New York winter? Don't you want a coat instead?
katielvw

Post by katielvw »

El Jefe wrote:Filson

+ 1
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Do you want a jacket or a full-length wool coat?

When I worked in NY, I used a dark Navy full-length wool coat that I still have to this day. It's a classic as seen on the streets of all major cities around the world, especially Paris, London, NY, Tokyo. The brand I have is Pierre Cardin, but it was bought cheaply at Men's Warehouse or Wallach's.

One needs a classic scarf (cashmere or wool) to go with it.

Coat looks like this from Burberry.
Last edited by livesoft on Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
srqfacc

Post by srqfacc »

J crew navy peacoat. Form and function....
Pale Horse

Post by Pale Horse »

Filson or Sterlingwear
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

It's complete overkill for New York winters, but the Baxter State Parka is warm, durable, and is backed up by the LL Bean warranty.
The furry thing on the hood is removable...the hood is also removable.
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

Most of the high quality stuff is from China or the Third World nowadays. If you want it made in the USA, your best quality will come from one of the custom shops like Imparali or Mohan's. If it's a snorkel jacket you want, then you may as well go to Walmart since the quality is about as good as whatever you'll get from the mail order fashion houses anyway. -- Tet
sport

Post by sport »

If you want a really warm coat or jacket, get one that is down filled instead of wool. A good down filled jacket will last a long time and will keep you much warmer. Of course, it will not be as dressy.
Jeff
Topic Author
ag1

Post by ag1 »

Thanks for the various suggestions. I am thinking of trying out filson. The Burberry style coats are very nice but I find them too formal. I am trying to avoid the whole wall street banker /lawyer look. People don't like them these days :-)
Thanks very much again
Ag1
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

ag1 wrote:I want to buy a nice wool jacket that would let me handle New York winters ...

If wool is not appropriate for this weather - I would love to hear your suggestions of brands that you really like.

Regards
Ag1
New York City or New York State? It could be a difference of 20 degree and 15 feet of snow.
Winthorpe

Post by Winthorpe »

For a wool jacket: Giesswein
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

jsl11 wrote:If you want a really warm coat or jacket, get one that is down filled instead of wool. A good down filled jacket will last a long time and will keep you much warmer. Of course, it will not be as dressy.
Jeff
I have an LL Bean non-wool coat filled with something or other, not down, that is warm enough for New England.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Don't want formal? I got an unsolicited comment yesterday about my New Zealand Katmandu wool sweater jacket: "Wow, that's really nice. Where did you get that?"
Here it is: http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/tops/kn ... rcoal.html but it more for NY late fall and late winter. It is not a winter coat. And it is made in China.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
TT

Post by TT »

delete
Last edited by TT on Sun Feb 04, 2024 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Live Life Simple and Less Soft
Ketawa

Post by Ketawa »

Sterlingwear peacoat, or try VintageTrends or eBay for a vintage peacoat. The vintage coats can be in great condition and can be had for a very nice price. This writeup is simply amazing: http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthre ... OAT-DATING.
Kevin21

Post by Kevin21 »

I have the J Crew University wool coat that I love... waited for one of their 30% sales. Their "factory" also has a less expensive version.

I mix that coat in with an LL Bean Leather Bomber, waxed cotton goose down coat, and a parka for the real cold stuff.
niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 »

livesoft wrote:Don't want formal? I got an unsolicited comment yesterday about my New Zealand Katmandu wool sweater jacket: "Wow, that's really nice. Where did you get that?"
Here it is: http://www.kathmandu.co.nz/mens/tops/kn ... rcoal.html but it more for NY late fall and late winter. It is not a winter coat. And it is made in China.
Company Name Kathmandu (Capital city of Nepal country) in New Zealand country that has manufacturing in China and also sells in USA.
Truly Global company in a small world.
leonard

Post by leonard »

katielvw wrote:
El Jefe wrote:Filson

+ 1
Times 20. Have multiple coats and hats - the wool garments have that quality feel and they look great for years and years.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
Toons

Post by Toons »

"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I'm a huge fan of wool coats. I have one of these in green, and I love it. Definitely a step away from the corporate look, but still acceptable in most environments. I'm a couple hours west of NYC, and I wear it from Oct-March. There are only a few very cold days when it's not enough coat for me. It travels well too.

http://www.filson.com/products/mackinaw ... uct=aa1314

I wear one of these occasionally too. It's warmer, better in heavy rain, and bit more upscale in an old-school/European way. If you like to look unique, this will work. Especially if you add the cap!

http://www.berettausa.com/store/item.as ... 46&F_All=Y
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn