Mini Cooper or Fiat 500?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Buster65

Mini Cooper or Fiat 500?

Post by Buster65 »

I'm looking for a small, fun, around the town car. Deciding between a Mini or a Fiat or open to other BoggleHead suggestions. What say you?
Dutch

Re: Mini Cooper or Fiat 500?

Post by Dutch »

Ford Fiesta (ST)

:sharebeer
gks

Post by gks »

archman65 wrote:I'm looking for a small, fun, around the town car. Deciding between a Mini or a Fiat or open to other BoggleHead suggestions. What say you?
Drive both of them and decide which one you like better. Keep in mind that maintenance may be more expensive than the Ford. If you look at other "which car" posts, it soon becomes apparent that a car choice is an extremely personal choice.

Greg
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

Mini Cooper. I'm betting it's funner to drive and will have a higher resale value. They have a fairly good dependability rating as long as you don't buy the turbo model.

Plus the Fiat 500 doesn't look near as good!
Taylor Larimore

Consumer Reports

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Archman:

Go to a bookstore or library and ask for the latest annual Car Issue of Consumer Reports.

In my opinion, there is no better source of unbiased information for someone contemplating the purchase of a new or used automobile.

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

Definitely MINI. Get the S if you can. Fiat is way too small, and it's too narrow and tall. Not great for feel.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

If it's mostly for short trips, then Abarth 500. But for longer runs, the engine noise, choppy handling and susceptibility to getting pushed around by the wind all favor the Mini.
rob

Post by rob »

Fiat ONLY if your talking about the Abarth otherwise Mini
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien
gks

Post by gks »

arch,

See what I mean? And this is only the beginning.

Greg
davebarnes

Only the beginning

Post by davebarnes »

MINI Cooper starts at $23K but you will spend close to $30K. There are a myriad options.
FIAT 500 Abarth maxes out at $26K.
Ford Fiesta Hatchback ranges from $14K to $20K.

Audi A3 Hatchback is $30K. We chose it over the MINI for many reasons.
1. Larger. Holds 4 people.
2. Quieter. Metal frame around door windows vs none.
3. Four doors. We are just not coupe people.
A nerd living in Denver
hq38sq43

Re: Consumer Reports

Post by hq38sq43 »

Taylor Larimore wrote:Archman:

Go to a bookstore or library and ask for the latest annual Car Issue of Consumer Reports.

In my opinion, there is no better source of unbiased information for someone contemplating the purchase of a new or used automobile.

Best wishes
Taylor
I agree that CR's Annual (April) Car Issue is a good source of unbiased information and we always start with it. But doing so has not always worked out well. Years ago we purchased a Dodge Aspen based largely on CR's evaluation--turned out badly because Aspens had a severe rusting problem. We also bought a Renaut Alliance and a Mazda Protege relying on CR--similar results. Of course, this was a time when many car companies were dumping border-line junk on the market, but we were nonetheless disappointed with CR. A good lesson that unbiased, expert advice is not always good advice.
Harry at Bradenton
smiley

Post by smiley »

motortrend did a comparison of the two (not s model or abarth) along with honda cr-z, hyundai veloster, vw bug and scion tC in 2012.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/cou ... omparison/

cooper won.

:happy
Browser

Post by Browser »

I heard that there have been problems with the Mini's CVT transmission -- some lawsuits. Don't know from personal experience but it might be worth googling.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
SSN688

Post by SSN688 »

FIAT = Fix It Again Tony. You are asking for trouble. The Mini isn't that great, either. They had plenty of quality control issues the first few years. But it's probably the lesser of the two evils. You might also consider the Scion FRS/Subaru BRZ (same) and the Mazda 2 Sport. These are reliable, fun to drive, and within the Mini price range. Lastly, VW continues to have long-term reliability issues, and Ford dropped dramatically (from near top to near bottom) last year in customer satisfaction.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

I just happen to come across these earlier today. Interesting you were deciding between the two most unreliable and least safe.....

Fiat 500 least safe vehicle to drive according to insurance website
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/01/30/fiat ... ance-webs/

That's why, despite its near-perfect crash-test score, the Fiat 500 is No. 1 on Insure.com's list of worst vehicles for protecting passengers from injuries.

Consumer Reports: Top 10 most unreliable car brands
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... s/3304413/

A day after Consumer Reports magazine listed the best car brands for reliability, the obvious question emerges: Which is the worst? The answer can be summed up in four little letters: Mini.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

I think CU's advice stops once you are making your decision on matters such as "fun" or "stylish" or "excitement".
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Chevy Spark.
All the Best, | Joe
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Fiat is cuter but mini is a much nicer to drive car imo. You can rent fiat 500's at most enterprise's. Rental of a car is often a good investment prior to a purchase.
bzcat

Post by bzcat »

Browser wrote:I heard that there have been problems with the Mini's CVT transmission -- some lawsuits. Don't know from personal experience but it might be worth googling.
MINI hasn't sold a CVT transmission in 4 or 5 years. The CVT was only available on R50/R53 cars that went off sale 2007ish
dewey

Post by dewey »

If you've done all your homework and have definitely boiled it down to these two--then I would say hands down the Mini. You'll enjoy every second behind the wheel of the base (Non-S) version and it is more a comparison to the Fiat than the S--though I don't see the Fiat and Mini in the same league. The Mini will corner as though the wheels have velcro to the road. It's just a fun car. And--amazing space inside for its class. My wife had one and we loved it. She never drove it the way I did :oops: Good luck with your purchase. For some of us a new car is one of life's special events.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
camaro327

Post by camaro327 »

Definately the Mini, excellent resale and great styling.

Or if you're looking for a Manual Transmission, the Fiesta ST (as mentioned earlier), when it's launched.

FIAT's goofy looking.
scone

Post by scone »

Don't forget the VW GTI, winner of many awards over the last couple of decades, widely considered to be the original "hot hatch," and the standard to which all others are compared.
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

scone wrote:Don't forget the VW GTI, winner of many awards over the last couple of decades, widely considered to be the original "hot hatch," and the standard to which all others are compared.
It's probably more money than either the Mini or the 500 by the time it's optioned out, but a much better car than either by far. Good suggestion, as was the Audi A3.

As for the ToyoBaru Twins noted earlier, they've had some reliability issues as well.

It's got to be a special car to justify the hit on reliability and dependability. It seems that anything really enjoyable to drive isn't going to be the best for reliability. A couple fun and reliable cars in recent memory are the Miata, which is long in the tooth and due for a major model change in 2015, and the Honda S2000 which is no more. I've owned two, too many, Fiats which were fun to drive, but had too many issues.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

I purchased a Mini Cooper new when they first came out. I was satisfied initially but that changed after a few years of driving. The biggest issue is that the dealer was 1 hour away and local repair shops were unable to get parts to repair the car. First few years limited repairs were required and was broken was covered under warranty. It seemed like as soon as the warranty expired everything began breaking. And the frustrating issue was that I had to go 1 hour away to the Mini Cooper dealer to have it repaired because others couldn't get parts. And the Cooper dealership always charged exorbitant price because they could. So its my opinion thats Mini a good value until warranty expires.
SquawkIdent

Post by SquawkIdent »

Honda Fit...AKA The Go Cart

2014's will be out shortly with funkier colors. Or try to get a great deal on a 2013 right now. 0.9% financing (up to 60 months) in my area until 11-4-13.

BTW, no I do not work for Honda. :sharebeer
ddb

Post by ddb »

I'd strongly prefer a VW GTI to either of these options. A $549 ECU upgrade (Stage I) gives you 252hp and 303ft-lbs of torque. Also, can add a solid rear sway bar to nearly eliminate any hint of understeer.

And then, I'd even more strongly prefer a Subaru WRX to either of the above options. For me, the WRX platform slays the competition in terms of its raw and capable handling prowess. Great powertrain from the factory, too, no compelling reason to upgrade (IMO).

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
TareNeko

Post by TareNeko »

ddb wrote:I'd strongly prefer a VW GTI to either of these options. A $549 ECU upgrade (Stage I) gives you 252hp and 303ft-lbs of torque. Also, can add a solid rear sway bar to nearly eliminate any hint of understeer.

And then, I'd even more strongly prefer a Subaru WRX to either of the above options. For me, the WRX platform slays the competition in terms of its raw and capable handling prowess. Great powertrain from the factory, too, no compelling reason to upgrade (IMO).

- DDB
It will also increase the lift off oversteer. Which is fun, if you know what you're doing. I wouldn't suggest such things to random people on the net (no offense OP).
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

Neither. Look at Consumer Reports for much better rated vehicles. :twisted: New issue received today via US mail.
Tom D.
ddb

Post by ddb »

Erhan wrote:
ddb wrote:I'd strongly prefer a VW GTI to either of these options. A $549 ECU upgrade (Stage I) gives you 252hp and 303ft-lbs of torque. Also, can add a solid rear sway bar to nearly eliminate any hint of understeer.

- DDB
It will also increase the lift off oversteer. Which is fun, if you know what you're doing. I wouldn't suggest such things to random people on the net (no offense OP).
Erhan, I agree. I apologize if my statement came off as a recommendation, rather than just an option of one of the [many] things that can be done with the car. I recently helped a family member install a rear sway bar and short shifter on his GTI, so these modifications are fresh in my mind.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
Woodshark

Post by Woodshark »

scone wrote:Don't forget the VW GTI, winner of many awards over the last couple of decades, widely considered to be the original "hot hatch," and the standard to which all others are compared.
Oh, fond memories. I had one of the original ones with the golf ball stick shifts way back in the early to mid 80's. Funnest car I ever owned. With the stock Pirelli P6 tires and the Carrera seats you felt like you were glued to the road.
02sbxstr

Post by 02sbxstr »

Having owned a first gen Mini Cooper S (but not a Fiat 500), I can say that the Mini was a fun car to drive, handled well, and was reasonably roomy. And, it was made by BMW. As to referring to Consumer Reports for advice, I have to say, What? CR has absolutely no credentials if you happen to enjoy driving a car. If you see a car as simply a manner of getting from A to B, fine, read CR. Otherwise, Road and Track and/or Car and Driver are the sources you should be using.
Epsilon Delta

Post by Epsilon Delta »

02sbxstr wrote:Having owned a first gen Mini Cooper S (but not a Fiat 500), I can say that the Mini was a fun car to drive, handled well, and was reasonably roomy. And, it was made by BMW. As to referring to Consumer Reports for advice, I have to say, What? CR has absolutely no credentials if you happen to enjoy driving a car. If you see a car as simply a manner of getting from A to B, fine, read CR. Otherwise, Road and Track and/or Car and Driver are the sources you should be using.
The first gen Mini Cooper S was made in the 1960s by Morris and Austin. I think you are referring to the German knock-off.

While I never drove a mini cooper I did drive a different version with a 1000cc engine. Quite exciting.
emoore

Post by emoore »

I owned a first gen "new" MINI Cooper S. It was a blast. I miss that car. But then I needed 4 doors. Bought a GTI. Love this car too. Almost as fun as the MINI but more practical and it's much more comfortable on long road trips than the MINI.
Topic Author
Buster65

Post by Buster65 »

Thanks all. Looks like after testing the mini and the fiat and even thinking about the GTI or Fit (Honda) I am going for a Mini Cooper. I think the quality of the material and build has won me over.
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

archman65 wrote: I think the quality of the material and build has won me over.
Quality of material and build are not normally associated with a Mini Cooper. Of all the reasons to buy one, if you are buying one for those reasons you are most likely making a mistake.
scone

Post by scone »

IIRC, the new re-engineered WRX will be at the LA Auto Show this month. Subie people seem pretty excited about it-- the concept car was amazing. We shall see.

http://www.motortrend.com/future/concep ... x_concept/
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Imbros

Post by Imbros »

@OP,

Have you driven the Fiesta ST?
There is no greatness where there is no simplicity, goodness and truth. -L. Tolstoy
CoastRider

Post by CoastRider »

2014 Mazda 3 hatchback. I read half a dozen car magazines, and every one has rated the new Mazda as the best sporty small car.
BTDT

Post by BTDT »

My better half really likes her Mini S, even let's me drive it...........once in a while :(
If past history was all that is needed to play the game of money, the richest people would be librarians.
fidelio

Post by fidelio »

i've got a mini s and it's a great little car, fast -- but a bit of a toy. i think you have to be careful about the engines. has the bmw-sourced 3-cyl come out yet? that may be the one to go for. not too confident abt. the french engines, the chryslers were ok but that's getting vintage. anyway, a great driver for fwd + made in england!

what i really lust for here however is the fiat 500e. probably only practical for those w/ multiple cars.
JoMoney

Post by JoMoney »

CoastRider wrote:2014 Mazda 3 hatchback. I read half a dozen car magazines, and every one has rated the new Mazda as the best sporty small car.
:thumbsup It doesn't have the same exotic motif of a Mini or Fiat, but for a small car I'm pleasantly surprised by Mazda. I had a 2013 model as a economy rental car, at the other end of a plane flight I had to switch to a Kia economy car. No comparison in an economy car, I missed the zoom zoom
"To achieve satisfactory investment results is easier than most people realize; to achieve superior results is harder than it looks." - Benjamin Graham
jda

Post by jda »

Both Mini And GTI are having new models coming out next year so you might want to wait a bit. If you are Ok with mk6 gti you can get them from Hayward vw in the bay area for 5k off Msrp which means a 2 door base gti starts off at just 20k

http://www.vwhayward.com/VehicleSearchR ... o=27772990
MacHeath

Post by MacHeath »

My wife has a Fiat500, and loves it. Handles well, and her perception is that other drivers treat her nicer. It is rather small, but hey, we don't haul cords of firewood up mountainsides or anything.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I currently shopping for a new used car. I'm deciding between the two. I want something fun to drive and unique/quirky. I'm not that tall or big so a small car is no problem for me. My commute is like 15m and I don't go that far on the weekends. I don't have a family to transport either.

I currently drive a 2010 Mazda 3 sedan and prior to that I drove a 2008 Mazda 3 hatchbook. Loved the zoom, zoom. I'm planning to give my car to my dad so I need a new ride.

I want to pay about $15k but can go up to $20k... I just can't decide. ahhh
camaro327

Post by camaro327 »

Civic SI, if you drive stick. Other neat small size sticks would be the Fiesta ST and Focus ST. Although the Honda will provide better resale.
rj49

Post by rj49 »

SquawkIdent wrote:Honda Fit...AKA The Go Cart

2014's will be out shortly with funkier colors. Or try to get a great deal on a 2013 right now. 0.9% financing (up to 60 months) in my area until 11-4-13.

BTW, no I do not work for Honda. :sharebeer
I'm looking at the 2014/2015 Fit also, mainly for the storage options in back. I have a Toyota Matrix now, and I like having a flat-folding rear seats so I can carry bikes and other stuff easily while keeping vehicle size and price down. If I want a tiny fun car I just borrow a Smart car here in Seattle through Car2go. The Audi/mini cars would probably make me too nervous on a freeway.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

I vote Honda Fit, not because I own one or ever will (I like slightly bigger cars), but the Honda Fit guy on this forum has me convinced it's the best car out there. I love Honda Fit guy. You can publish a post asking for recommendations for the best 12-ton 4x4 and he's gonna recommend a Honda Fit.
chrisjul

Post by chrisjul »

Neither. Check JD Powers and Consumer Reports.

Go with Miata.
Bidwell

Post by Bidwell »

Both look fun, drive fun and feel great.... Fiat has some history in the States. "They" were here years ago and sold a bunch of cars on both Coasts. As any vehicle ages, it needs parts and service; but, back then Fiat Dealers stocked few parts and employed fewer trained mechanics. The Brand's surge in popularity could not overcome the extreme negatives from customers and press. We ourselves once owned a most beautiful Fiat Spider that once sat in a Wayne, PA service shop for about two years waiting on parts. We had the car for many years. But if you subtracted the time the car was idled for parts, we owned it less than three years.

In my humble opinion, if it's a Fiat look hard before you sign.
fareastwarriors

Post by fareastwarriors »

I love the all recommendations for the Fit and Miata. I think the Fit is a great car, versatile and efficient. I always loved Mazdas.

But the topic at hand is Mini vs Fiat.

The plan is to drive for 3-5 years and then move up.