Inexpensive cell phone- Verizon

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
nonnie

Inexpensive cell phone- Verizon

Post by nonnie »

I've used pay as you go Virgin Mobile for years and have been very satisfied. It's a dumb phone and I use it only for emergencies or when I'm meeting someone or a few other miscellaneous things almost always when I'm on the go. I have no need for internet access, camera or anything fancy. I pay $20 every three months and I have a $120 credit built up!

However, I don't get reception at my house and I'm getting tired of standing on the sidewalk for those few times I do want to make a call from home or want to have someone call me. The only carrier that has reliable service in my neighborhood is Verizon. What's the cheapest plan/method I could use to get access to Verizon without a monthly plan or expensive fees--would it be Page Plus?

Thanks,
Nonnie
Grandpaboys

Re: Inexpensive cell phone- Verizon

Post by Grandpaboys »

Look at Tracfone. Have used it for years in off beaten places and never had a problem with reception. This is a prepaid cell phone.
Good Day | GP
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

Pageplus would be the cheapest to stay on Verizon's network.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Page Plus. I recommend going through Kitty Wireless as they're (all online) customer service is great - Page Plus's, not so much.

There are a number of plans available here http://www.kittywireless.com/pageplus/cards.html . The nice thing about the $80/2000 min is that it's good for a full year. If you won't use that much then you can buy as little as $10/80 min but must buy one at least every 120 days. Kitty will set these up on autopay which removes most of the hassle - Page Plus will not do that.

FYI, you can buy good used (or even new) Verizon phones on eBay for very reasonable prices. Kitty also sells a limited number of phones.

Kitty Wireless also has good customer forums where you can get good information and advice.
Have a plan, stay the course and simplify. Then ignore the noise!
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

Kitty wireless looks like a good way to sign up for Page Plus. The link looks like $10 buys 100 minutes (10 cents a min). There is also a 50 cents per month charge with PP. Looks like it beats Virgin which is $21 per 3 months vs $11.50 for 3 months. Page Plus endorsed phones are Kyocera Rio E3100 at $49.95, Kyocera Milano C5121 at $99.95 or Huawei Ascend Y at $149.95. Other unlocked phones may work but not necessarily out of the box. I am going to sign up when my GM Onstar phone subscription expires.
Best Wishes, SpringMan
wander

Post by wander »

FrugalInvestor wrote:Kitty will set these up on autopay which removes most of the hassle - Page Plus will not do that.
Are you sure about that? I have autopay setup on pageplus web page. It's not just Kitty.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

wander wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:Kitty will set these up on autopay which removes most of the hassle - Page Plus will not do that.
Are you sure about that? I have autopay setup on pageplus web page. It's not just Kitty.
That was my understanding, if it's not the case I apologize for the misinformation. I've been with Kitty for a quite a few years and when I went with them I don't believe that Page Plus offered the autopay service.
theduke

Post by theduke »

I use kitty wireless with PagePlus. I pay $10 every 4 months paid automatically. I have an HTC Incredible phone I bought on Ebay. My wife has the $12 per month plan with the HTC Incredible 2.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

SpringMan wrote:Page Plus endorsed phones are Kyocera Rio E3100 at $49.95, Kyocera Milano C5121 at $99.95 or Huawei Ascend Y at $149.95. Other unlocked phones may work but not necessarily out of the box. I am going to sign up when my GM Onstar phone subscription expires.
Don't worry about Page Plus or Kitty Wireless 'endorsed' phones. Any Verizon plan phone (other than prepaids) will work fine and that opens up lots of nice phones including Androids and iPhones (if you're interested in a smartphone). Personally, I shy away from 'unlocked' phones but there is a plethora of excellent choices without resorting to that option anyway. The Kitty forums are very helpful in helping with phone selection.

My wife and I have been using Palm smartphones for the past couple of years and they work great on the basics (as long as you're not interested in the latest apps). My wife has a bit of trouble with the small keyboard on her Pre 2 so I am graduating her to a 'new' iPhone 4s in about a week for her birthday. :happy
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

If you were handling Virgin Mobile on your own you can handle Page Plus on your own. If you want hand holding you can pay Kitty. I am on Virgin Mobile my wife is on Page Plus. I have setup my wife's parents and her father's sister on Page Plus $10 (100 min) every 120 days on Gusto 2 phones bought on ebay.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=pa ... &_from=R40
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
Rosencrantz

Post by Rosencrantz »

theduke wrote:I use kitty wireless with PagePlus. I pay $10 every 4 months paid automatically. I have an HTC Incredible phone I bought on Ebay. My wife has the $12 per month plan with the HTC Incredible 2.
I'm a Kitty user who'd love to do the same: use an Android smartphone on the standard plan. There seems to be all sorts of warnings against this though, but if you turn off the data and use wifi to access the net it should be fine, correct?

The HTC Incredible was one phone I was considering, but the Motorolas seem to get better reception. How's battery life?
mike143

Post by mike143 »

Just so no one is confused Kitty Wireless is a dealer for Page Plus, they are not a wireless carrier but a dealer. You can deal directly with Page Plus if you want to. There was a time in history where Kitty provided more value but I don't think that is true anymore. I used Kitty a long time ago but haven't for many many years. Once you get your online account setup (need service first) you can use the chat for everything. I have activated 3 new lines and did a transfer all through chat recently.

I have been buying my Page Plus pins from pincheap.com: howardforums.com: Forum:US Prepaid/MVNO Discussion:Page Plus Cellular: Cheap places to refill V.3

Add a cash back credit card and this keeps getting cheaper and cheaper.
theduke

Post by theduke »

Rosencrantz wrote:
theduke wrote:I use kitty wireless with PagePlus. I pay $10 every 4 months paid automatically. I have an HTC Incredible phone I bought on Ebay. My wife has the $12 per month plan with the HTC Incredible 2.
I'm a Kitty user who'd love to do the same: use an Android smartphone on the standard plan. There seems to be all sorts of warnings against this though, but if you turn off the data and use wifi to access the net it should be fine, correct?

The HTC Incredible was one phone I was considering, but the Motorolas seem to get better reception. How's battery life?
I have data turned off and turn on the wifi when I want to use it. It works like a champ. You can also have Kitty turn the data off if you choose to prevent accidents from happening, but I haven't. I would get the Incredible 2 next time only because the screen is a little bigger at 4". The battery life is good, but then again I'm not using it all day either. I don't have any problem with reception, any where verizon is, it works.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

theduke wrote:I have data turned off and turn on the wifi when I want to use it. It works like a champ. You can also have Kitty turn the data off if you choose to prevent accidents from happening, but I haven't. I would get the Incredible 2 next time only because the screen is a little bigger at 4". The battery life is good, but then again I'm not using it all day either. I don't have any problem with reception, any where verizon is, it works.
Once you have an online account with Page Plus you can request for them to block all sorts of things via chat: Data, text, voice mail, etc.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

Rosencrantz wrote:

I passed up the Incredible 2 because we live in a fringe reception area and the I2's reception seems to be unpredictable from phone to phone. Other than that it looks like a great phone and I would have gotten it.

However, I have used other smart phones on Page Plus. I don't use data often on my phone but I like to have the option to use it especially when traveling. I leave my data off and only turn it on when I need to look something up or retrieve email, etc. - I then turn it back off. My wife does the same and we've had no problems. Using the data does use up minutes but that can be easily controlled (as long as the phone has a convenient way to turn the data on and off).

The warnings are because people don't understand this and all their time gets used up without them knowing what happened. One thing you absolutely do not want to do is allow the phone to do an OS update through data rather than wi-fi. I activate a new phone (with the free $2 time) and go through updates on wi-fi before even putting a PIN on it to make sure I don't inadvertently use up time.
PoeticalDeportment

Post by PoeticalDeportment »

If you have an internet connection (which I assume you do, since you posted on here), you might consider a google voice account with a VOIP phone adapter. It would have a onetime cost for the adapter, but would otherwise be free. You might not need a verizon phone at all.

A verizon burner can be purchased for $15 at walmart. It comes with a $10 credit, and has a few different pricing plans. The same phone costs ~$50 in verizon stores.
umfundi

Post by umfundi »

We get our Verizon phones at Costco. Much better deal that at Verizon stores.

I cannot say that lowest cost is really a factor for us.

Keith
Déjà Vu is not a prediction
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

I'm the OP and life got away from me and I didn't make a change. I'm now ready to go with either PagePlus or Kitty. I can't see any differences in the rates except perhaps the one time charge for a new number--what am I missing?

I want a very basic prepaid plan (will start with the $10 card--which should easily last me 120 days) and phone and my problem now is finding a phone. I'm used to flip phones and like them. I'm looking for a basic flip phone that has a camera and WAP internet--just in case I might need to find a phone number or address online (I know it will be slower than molasses) while I'm on the road. I know flip phones are "old" technology but I cannot seem to find *any* flip phone with WAP *enabled* thatwill work on Page Plus. Any ideas?

If not, recommendations for a very basic, durable phone with these few features?

Thanks,
Nonnie
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

I've found Kitty's forums to be very helpful in choosing phones and getting other Page Plus/Kitty Wireless specific questions answered.

http://www.kittyforums.net/forum.php
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

FrugalInvestor wrote:I've found Kitty's forums to be very helpful in choosing phones and getting other Page Plus/Kitty Wireless specific questions answered.

Thanks, I posted there and was told what I wanted didn't exist!
Browser

Post by Browser »

Virgin Mobile is on Sprint. Ting is also on Sprint, very inexpensive. If you have a Sprint phone, it can be activated on Ting. However, Ting has roaming on the Verizon network, which Virgin Mobile does not. Whether it would roam in your location is uncertain, since you are apparently in a Sprint coverage area with a lousy signal in your house. If you have a Sprint phone, you could try activating it on Ting and see how well it works for you. If not just drop Ting. Are you sure that AT&T wouldn't work for you? Lots of options for prepaid service there, which you don't have with Verizon. I'm with an AT&T prepaid service and have been quite satisfied with it. No need to deal with a 3rd party like Kitty to get a phone.
We don't know where we are, or where we're going -- but we're making good time.
FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor »

nonnie wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:I've found Kitty's forums to be very helpful in choosing phones and getting other Page Plus/Kitty Wireless specific questions answered.

Take a look at Verizon Palm Pixi Plus phones on eBay. They are not flip phones but are very small and very thin so unobtrusive to carry. They have full internet capability - although very small screen and few apps - so fine for the internet in a pinch but that's about it. It's also easy to turn data off which restricts the phone to wireless for email, internet, etc. unless you decide you need to use data.

I'd sell you mine but I like it too much. I've already worn one out and am not using my wife's old one.

FYI, the 'Touchstones' are really handy for charging - and cheap.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Browser wrote:Virgin Mobile is on Sprint. Ting is also on Sprint, very inexpensive. If you have a Sprint phone, it can be activated on Ting. However, Ting has roaming on the Verizon network, which Virgin Mobile does not. Whether it would roam in your location is uncertain, since you are apparently in a Sprint coverage area with a lousy signal in your house. If you have a Sprint phone, you could try activating it on Ting and see how well it works for you. If not just drop Ting. Are you sure that AT&T wouldn't work for you? Lots of options for prepaid service there, which you don't have with Verizon. I'm with an AT&T prepaid service and have been quite satisfied with it. No need to deal with a 3rd party like Kitty to get a phone.
I confess, if I go out into the middle of the street, Virgin/Sprint works for me-- I do NOT want to do that anymore! Folks have also been able to get AT&T service at my house by going out into the backyard. I don't want to do that either. Are you aware that same wireless providers actually "fudge" their coverage areas AND that prepaid service coverage areas are NOT as extensive as regular coverage areas for all providers? Lots of folks don't know this but if you ask the carrier directly they will usually confirm it. Well, the coverage is so bad on most networks in my neighborhood that the carriers don't fudge it they actually show "no coverage" for about a half mile of my neighborhood EXCEPT for Verizon. I've talked to more of a dozen of my neighbors and have confirmed that ONLY Verizon works reliably in this neighborhood. My husband has a regular Verizon plan and no problems with coverage. I just don't need that many minutes.

Years ago in the frenzy of moving day I locked myself out of my house. I'd already packed my spare, hidden key and had to call a locksmith. He arrived and said, "are you sure your back door isn't open? how about a window? are you sure there's no access via your garage into the house or another way to get in?" Yep, I'm sure I don't get AT&T.

Why on earth would I want to go through the process of signing up for Ting--where as far as I can figure out for pay-as-you-go the cheapest monthly bill I would have if I only made one-1-minute call per month is $9, where it will try to connect to Sprint, where I'll ha have Verizon roaming when I can go with Page Plus via Kitty Wireless (I could also do Page Plus directly), buy a $10 card good for 120 days and only pay $.50 per month on top of that? That works out of $3.00 a month with 100 minutes to last me 120 days.

You're right-- Verizon lacks prepaid options, that's why I chose a Verizon reseller, Page Plus, that has lots of options and is much cheaper.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

FrugalInvestor wrote:
nonnie wrote:

Take a look at Verizon Palm Pixi Plus phones on eBay. They are not flip phones but are very small and very thin so unobtrusive to carry. They have full internet capability - although very small screen and few apps - so fine for the internet in a pinch but that's about it. It's also easy to turn data off which restricts the phone to wireless for email, internet, etc. unless you decide you need to use data.

I'd sell you mine but I like it too much. I've already worn one out and am not using my wife's old one.

FYI, the 'Touchstones' are really handy for charging - and cheap.
Thanks, for the tip. I'm suspended my search for a couple days. I'll take a look. I've also found out it's not the difficult to "program" some of the more inexpesnive phones that have WAP but that might not be enabled.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Nonnie - you are incredibly unlucky with your mobile coverage. I guess only Verizon has a tower or a network partner that provides a decent signal in your house. You are right about the coverage provided by MVNOs, some are better than others. I've been using AT&T MVNOs: Airvoice Wireless and Consumer Cellular. Airvoice has better prices, but I found out they use AT&T's prepaid network. That doesn't include partner roaming, so there are areas where you don't have coverage. However, Consumer Cellular apparently uses AT&T's complete network, including partner roaming. I proved this on my recent drive West in which I go through a problematical stretch on I-40. I had an AirVoice SIM and a Consumer Cellular SIM that I swapped back and forth in my phone and it was clear that I couldn't get a signal on AirVoice (which happened on my trip last year), but I could get a signal on Consumer Cellular. You might want to give Consumer Cellular a whirl. You could get an unlocked AT&T/T-Mobile phone at Walmart, buy the Consumer Cellular SIM at Sears or directly from CC and try it out. You have 10 days to cancel with CC if it doesn't work and you can return the phone to Walmart -- nothing lost but your time.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Browser-- I appreciate that you are trying to help me but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. What would I gain from this experiment since I already KNOW that AT&T doesn't work at my house and I do know that Verizon does. Why would I want to risk roaming and dropped calls? And for the kind of use I need, Page Plus, a Verizon MVNO, has the cheapest plan available-- $3.00 a month. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don'tunderstand?

Thanks,
Nonnie
Browser

Post by Browser »

nonnie wrote:Browser-- I appreciate that you are trying to help me but I'm not sure what you are trying to accomplish. What would I gain from this experiment since I already KNOW that AT&T doesn't work at my house and I do know that Verizon does. Why would I want to risk roaming and dropped calls? And for the kind of use I need, Page Plus, a Verizon MVNO, has the cheapest plan available-- $3.00 a month. I'm not trying to be rude, I just don'tunderstand?

Thanks,
Nonnie
I guess I missed the part about AT&T not working. I guess you had someone who is on the AT&T network verify? Of course, that would be the easiest way to do it. I guess you are on the right track with a Verizon MVNO - Page Plus. Plenty of people like it OK. I guess I'm put off by having to mess around to get a phone that works with it, but that's just me. Happy with my AT&T MVNOs. Several providers are out there and all I have to do is pop in a different SIM to use the same phone with various providers and plans. I have a bias against Verizon and Sprint because you can't do that and you're locked into whatever service you've got. No problem if you're happy with it. Hope Page Plus works out.
mikep

Post by mikep »

I'm on page plus but switching to selectel when my balance runs out. What I don't like about page plus is data is a ripoff .99/MB on the standard plan, but my usage is not even enough to consider the $12 250 minute/250 text plan where data is .10/MB. With selectel I can get 2000 mins, 1500 texts for a year for $75 ($6.25/mo) which fits more to my usage. I can add data for .05/MB on top of that with a $10 PIN card. Also without any .50/mo fee like page plus. Then kitty finds ways to add new fees on each order and the sale of page plus to tracfone not sure what the future is for page plus. The only downside to selectel I've found so far is no rollover on the 2000 min plan, it expires after a year.
Browser

Post by Browser »

I think it's a good point about the future of Page Plue (or any other MVNO for that matter). If you're locked into them, you have some sunk costs to deal with. I really like the flexibility of having a GSM phone that allows me to go to any AT&T or T-Mobile MVNO. If one dies or screws with their rates, I go shopping. Don't have to buy a new phone.
thomase

Post by thomase »

Nonnie, I have both page plus (for an iphone 4s) and tracfone (for 1 feature aka dumb phone AT&T network, 2 smart phones Verizon network). Based on your limited usage tracfone would be the better deal. Tracfone uses both AT&T and Verizon network. However you can indirectly choose which network you get by plugging in a zip code (73949) on their website when you shop for your phone. Basically some zip codes have only Verizon service in that area, and you will be shown only Verizon compatible phones. Then when you check out, you just use your actual address info. Google "tracfone verizon zip code" for more info, also some info at this link http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12 ... aight.html

Or, even easier, if you choose to buy a smartphone on tracfone, you're guaranteed to get Verizon network (all smartphones on tracfone are CDMA). Good luck.
Browser

Post by Browser »

thomase wrote:Nonnie, I have both page plus (for an iphone 4s) and tracfone (for 1 feature aka dumb phone AT&T network, 2 smart phones Verizon network). Based on your limited usage tracfone would be the better deal. Tracfone uses both AT&T and Verizon network. However you can indirectly choose which network you get by plugging in a zip code (73949) on their website when you shop for your phone. Basically some zip codes have only Verizon service in that area, and you will be shown only Verizon compatible phones. Then when you check out, you just use your actual address info. Google "tracfone verizon zip code" for more info, also some info at this link http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12 ... aight.html

Or, even easier, if you choose to buy a smartphone on tracfone, you're guaranteed to get Verizon network (all smartphones on tracfone are CDMA). Good luck.
Great suggestion. I seem to remember something about this but couldn't recall. Here's a page where you can check Tracfone coverage in your area. You can also call them to check coverage.

http://www.tracfone.com/questions.jsp#/ ... a=13930838
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

thomase wrote:Nonnie, I have both page plus (for an iphone 4s) and tracfone (for 1 feature aka dumb phone AT&T network, 2 smart phones Verizon network). Based on your limited usage tracfone would be the better deal. Tracfone uses both AT&T and Verizon network. However you can indirectly choose which network you get by plugging in a zip code (73949) on their website when you shop for your phone. Basically some zip codes have only Verizon service in that area, and you will be shown only Verizon compatible phones. Then when you check out, you just use your actual address info. Google "tracfone verizon zip code" for more info, also some info at this link http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12 ... aight.html

Thanks, I'd previously read about using that zip code on prepaid phone and sure enough when I did it had all the same phones as those in my zip code except one-- the flip phone I wanted. Didn't know the thing about smartphones and Verizon. Aside from the fact that I don't really need a Smartphone the shape of most or all of them is uncomfortable for my small, stiff hands-- know any that are small? I'm not sure exactly, though, why you say, I assume financially, that Tracfone would be a better deal unless you're talking about the roaming charges on Page Plus.

So-- to all (and thanks for the responses) here's a question. With an MVNO that uses more than one network. like Tracfone, if I *did* have a phone that is compatible with both AT&T and Verizon would it try to connect to AT&T first and would I then be in danger of it trying to connect to AT&T and perhaps getting a very weak signal but then I'd be stuck there? Does anyone know exactly how/when the physical part of roaming works-- how is it decided when my phone will connect with AT&T vs. Verizon (again with a phone capable of both) at Tracphone or other MVNO?

The main reason I originally decided to go with Page Plus or Kitty was that they only use Verizon and I thought I'd be safe but now with all these other ideas... I have read some negative reviews about América Móvil service-- but can purchasing Page Plus -thru their Tracfone subsidiary) make their service any worse? I'm sure it's all going to shake out somehow.

Yes, all this diethering about $100 a year plus a one-time phone charge feels silly but I want to make sure my phone works IN my house.

Thanks,
Nonnie
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

If you can use this coverage map more power to you--it goes by phone and zip code . When I called Tracfone they told me I "had coverage." When I asked them what phone provider/reseller I was told they didn't give out that information.
jackpullo997

Post by jackpullo997 »

Is there a summary of these "off-brand" services?
I pay $100/mo for Verizon.
What is Page Plus and Boost Mobile, etc.
I thought these were subprime scams for low income types (like payday check cashing stores)
Should I be looking into this?
Whats the difference b/w paying Verizon $100/mo and paying one of these other brands $50/mo unlimited?
What's the catch??
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

jackpullo997 wrote:Is there a summary of these "off-brand" services?

Should I be looking into this?
Whats the difference b/w paying Verizon $100/mo and paying one of these other brands $50/mo unlimited?
What's the catch??
Yes, you should be looking into this. Different MVNOs (resellers) have different plans and options including pay as you go. You need to determine
1) can you use your Verizon phone?
2) how much will it cost you to "buy out" your current Verizon contract? There is at least one MVNO that will reimburse you 25% of this cost
3) then find a plan with the talk, text and data you need.

As far as I know, there are no more "unlimited" data plans on Verizon; once you buy a new phone (which perhaps you haven't since they started this policy) you have to choose a monthly data amount and pay for it. (my husband and his son have a $200 month family plan on Verizon) $100 a month is a fairly expensive/extensive plan on Verizon. What does that get you?

You can check out this website for reseller plans:
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/search/label/Deals

Here's a link that compares Verizon to Verizon resellers:
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2013/02 ... plans.html

Edit: as far as I know the majority of these resellers only have 3G but I could be wrong. Make sure you check.
Last edited by nonnie on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

nonnie wrote: With an MVNO that uses more than one network. like Tracfone, if I *did* have a phone that is compatible with both AT&T and Verizon would it try to connect to AT&T first and would I then be in danger of it trying to connect to AT&T and perhaps getting a very weak signal but then I'd be stuck there? Does anyone know exactly how/when the physical part of roaming works-- how is it decided when my phone will connect with AT&T vs. Verizon (again with a phone capable of both) at Tracphone or other MVNO?
OK, answered my own question in case any one else has the same one:
" Straight Talk and NET10 phones will favor their home network and refuse to roam in an area where the home network claims to have coverage. So if you have a phone whose home network is T-Mobile and you are in an area where T-Mobile has spotty coverage, the phone will refuse to roam on AT&T even if AT&T has a better signal. The Sprint based phones don't roam at all."
http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12 ... aight.html
Browser

Post by Browser »

Nonnie - There are two phone technologies: GSM and CDMA. GSM phones use a small removable SIM and CDMA phones have their network circuitry built into the phone itself. AT&T / T-Mobile are GSM, and Verizon/Sprint are CDMA. So you have to make a choice between GSM and CDMA, or sometimes the choice is made for you if there are only certain networks that have the coverage you need. In your case, it looks like only a Verizon/CDMA phone will work. So, you won't have a phone that can work on both AT&T and Verizon. You'll have either a CDMA phone that can work on both Verizon & Sprint or a GSM phone that can work on AT&T & T-Mobile. What you said about roaming is probably correct. For example, Ting is Sprint-based but can roam on Verizon in areas where there is no Sprint coverage. However, if you are in a Sprint area with lousy coverage it won't roam onto Verizon because of that.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

We have been with Verizon and AT&T for many years. We prefer AT&T. The minutes roll over each month so we are never charged for additional minutes. I have done extensive travel in our country over many years and have never had a dropped call.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

If you have WiFi internet, I'd consider T-Mobile's prepaid plans. T-Mobile has built in wifi calling and a Nokia Windows 8 phone is some $50 without contract. I personally, used this phone and highly recommend it. You can even buy a clamshell Samsung phone at Target for $20. The phone will use your wifi connection to call and receive. It switches over from wifi to cellular on its own. My wife had this when she first met me and I never noticed anything until she told me about it. She had the same problem as you. The phone worked fine everywhere except at home and she got tired of going outside just to talk to me. It's 1000 minutes for $100 on tmobile's prepaid plan.

And the off chance you do not have wifi internet. It's ~$50 for a wifi router.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

mikep wrote:I'm on page plus but switching to selectel when my balance runs out. What I don't like about page plus is data is a ripoff .99/MB on the standard plan, but my usage is not even enough to consider the $12 250 minute/250 text plan where data is .10/MB. With selectel I can get 2000 mins, 1500 texts for a year for $75 ($6.25/mo) which fits more to my usage. I can add data for .05/MB on top of that with a $10 PIN card. Also without any .50/mo fee like page plus. Then kitty finds ways to add new fees on each order and the sale of page plus to tracfone not sure what the future is for page plus. The only downside to selectel I've found so far is no rollover on the 2000 min plan, it expires after a year.
Can you tell me which fees you are speaking about from Kitty Wireless? Thanks.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

mmmodem wrote:If you have WiFi internet, I'd consider T-Mobile's prepaid plans. T-Mobile has built in wifi calling and a Nokia Windows 8 phone is some $50 without contract. I personally, used this phone and highly recommend it. You can even buy a clamshell Samsung phone at Target for $20. The phone will use your wifi connection to call and receive. It switches over from wifi to cellular on its own. My wife had this when she first met me and I never noticed anything until she told me about it. She had the same problem as you. The phone worked fine everywhere except at home and she got tired of going outside just to talk to me. It's 1000 minutes for $100 on tmobile's prepaid plan.

Interesting solution but I've read T-Mobile has the "worst" overall coverage nationwide and the other times I do use my phone is when traveling. Thanks, though, didn't know about this. Not sure I'd want to do Win 8 phone.

Nonnie
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Browser wrote:Nonnie - There are two phone technologies: GSM and CDMA. GSM phones use a small removable SIM and CDMA phones have their network circuitry built into the phone itself. AT&T / T-Mobile are GSM, and Verizon/Sprint are CDMA. So you have to make a choice between GSM and CDMA, or sometimes the choice is made for you if there are only certain networks that have the coverage you need. In your case, it looks like only a Verizon/CDMA phone will work. So, you won't have a phone that can work on both AT&T and Verizon. You'll have either a CDMA phone that can work on both Verizon & Sprint or a GSM phone that can work on AT&T & T-Mobile. What you said about roaming is probably correct. For example, Ting is Sprint-based but can roam on Verizon in areas where there is no Sprint coverage. However, if you are in a Sprint area with lousy coverage it won't roam onto Verizon because of that.
I'm getting confused. Look at your Saturday post, 7.47PM, responding to "homase" and the link below that he posted there.

http://www.prepaidphonenews.com/2011/12 ... aight.html

Here's how I understand it (based on the above link)-- if I purchase a phone (if I were going to go w/Tracfone) in *my* zipcode I'd get a GSM phone because AT&T says they *have* coverage in my area--and then I couldn't use it AND it wouldn't roam???? If I purchase it "for" a zipcode that doesn't have AT&T coverage, I'll get a CDMA phone that will only use Verizon. The whole zip code thing is a problem because my zip code is large and it's only 3-4 small streets in a valley where I live that cannot get any coverage besides Verizon. All this info is based on the prepaidphone link info. Please clarify????

Thanks,
Nonnie
Browser

Post by Browser »

nonnie wrote:
mmmodem wrote:If you have WiFi internet, I'd consider T-Mobile's prepaid plans. T-Mobile has built in wifi calling and a Nokia Windows 8 phone is some $50 without contract. I personally, used this phone and highly recommend it. You can even buy a clamshell Samsung phone at Target for $20. The phone will use your wifi connection to call and receive. It switches over from wifi to cellular on its own. My wife had this when she first met me and I never noticed anything until she told me about it. She had the same problem as you. The phone worked fine everywhere except at home and she got tired of going outside just to talk to me. It's 1000 minutes for $100 on tmobile's prepaid plan.

Interesting solution but I've read T-Mobile has the "worst" overall coverage nationwide and the other times I do use my phone is when traveling. Thanks, though, didn't know about this. Not sure I'd want to do Win 8 phone.

Nonnie
I really don't know what this poster is talking about. T-Mobile plans don't have anything to do with using WiFi do they? There is a service called Republic Wireless that works this way, but it requires purchasing a phone from them that is configured to work that way. It seamlessly uses WiFi when available but will use Sprint wireless when WiFi is not available. Most ordinary smartphones will automatically connect to WiFi if you have WiFi set to ON. You can make then WiFi calls but it requires using a special app on the smartphone to do it, so it's not as seamless as Republic Wireless that does it automatically. I played around with this so I could make calls when I was in buildings or other areas with a poor wireless signal, but had trouble with the call quality of WiFi calls.
mikep

Post by mikep »

nonnie wrote:
mikep wrote:I'm on page plus but switching to selectel when my balance runs out. What I don't like about page plus is data is a ripoff .99/MB on the standard plan, but my usage is not even enough to consider the $12 250 minute/250 text plan where data is .10/MB. With selectel I can get 2000 mins, 1500 texts for a year for $75 ($6.25/mo) which fits more to my usage. I can add data for .05/MB on top of that with a $10 PIN card. Also without any .50/mo fee like page plus. Then kitty finds ways to add new fees on each order and the sale of page plus to tracfone not sure what the future is for page plus. The only downside to selectel I've found so far is no rollover on the 2000 min plan, it expires after a year.
Can you tell me which fees you are speaking about from Kitty Wireless? Thanks.
Kitty recently announced a $1.00 surcharge on every PIN order however I can't find the thread now on kittyforums.net. It is better to buy from pincheap.com for 7.5% off anyway regardless.
Browser

Post by Browser »

Nonnie - the Tracphone stuff is confusing. They sell phones that are CDMA and GSM and, as far as I know are "locked" to a specific home network. For CDMA phones, you are locked to either Verizon or Sprint, and for GSM phones you are locked to either AT&T or T-Mobile. As I understand it, these phones will roam off their home network, but only to the kind of carrier they are: for example a CDMA phone can't roam to AT&T or T-Mobile (which are GSM). You're either in the CDMA family or the GSM family. The trick is figuring out which network a given Tracphone is locked to, and that's what the article you linked is all about. Obviously, you want one that is locked to Verizon as it's home network. When you purchase a Tracphone, you want one that was designed to work on Verizon and locked to that home network.

I was experimenting with Walmart's Family Plan last year. I had an unlocked GSM smartphone. Such a phone accepts a removable SIM and will work on either AT&T or T-Mobile. I was in Phoenix, and the SIM I bought at Walmart turned out to be a T-Mobile SIM. No way of knowing when I bought it, but guess that's what Walmart stores sell in the Phoenix area since T-Mobile has coverage there. I wanted an AT&T SIM because I know T-Mobile didn't have coverage back in Iowa where I am in the summers. I actually had to wait until I got there to purchase a SIM at Walmart that would work on AT&T, because they have AT&T coverage in that area but not T-Mobile. I suppose I could have purchased an AT&T SIM online from Walmart by giving them an Iowa zipcode or area code when I ordered it. That's essentially what the article is describing. They are telling you which zipcodes to give when your order a Tracphone so that it will be a Verizon Tracphone. It's tricky business. The article also gives some info about the model numbers of Tracfones for different home networks. If your Walmart is in a Verizon service area, you can go there and check the model numbers to see if any of them appear to be homed to Verizon. You and buy and try and if it doesn't work for you return to Walmart.
Topic Author
nonnie

Post by nonnie »

Browser wrote:Nonnie - the Tracphone stuff is confusing. [snip] When you purchase a Tracphone, you want one that was designed to work on Verizon and locked to that home network.

[snip] That's essentially what the article is describing. They are telling you which zipcodes to give when your order a Tracphone so that it will be a Verizon Tracphone. It's tricky business. The article also gives some info about the model numbers of Tracfones for different home networks. If your Walmart is in a Verizon service area, you can go there and check the model numbers to see if any of them appear to be homed to Verizon. You and buy and try and if it doesn't work for you return to Walmart.
Thanks. I knew that some phones didn't roam on Tracfone but since I'd read "carrier won't allow you to roam if it says (i.e. AT&T) *has* coverage in your area-- which AT&T says they do but don't (except in the backyard). Even though I knew about CDMA and GSM I just didn't put it together that the phones "couldn't" roam.

I found a phone on the Tracphone website that has the correct code-- (ref. to prev. linked article) CO = Verizon but I had to use the 73949 zip code. When I tried with my zip code I got COGSM5 = Verizon or T Mobile (which claims "satisfactory" service in my area, the worst rating). So-- my challenge, if I decide to go w/Tracfone and it's seeming more and more risky, is to figure out whether a phone I purchase in my area would be a CDMA- Verizon or GSM-T-Mobile OR purchase a phone with the 73949 zipcode which is only Verizon/CDMA and hope the scheme works. As long as I get a CDMA phone I should be fine since apparently Tracfone doesn't use Sprint.

Sheesh, now I'm back to deciding between a slider and a clamshell. Analysis, paralysis--but at least I now understand how things work!

Nonnie