Neurosleep - does it work?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Riprap

Neurosleep - does it work?

Post by Riprap »

I am looking for reviews of a product called Neurosleep, a 14.5 oz drink, which claims to: promote restful sleep, help normalize sleep patterns, and support relaxation. It is sold in a plastic bottle packaged much like a sports drink. My wife bought it for me to try to help with my frequent insomnia.

Anybody ever try this stuff?
jridger2011

Re: Neurosleep - does it work?

Post by jridger2011 »

No, but it has melatonin in it which I have tried the capsules. The stuff gave me intense nightmares, hardly a restful sleep.
FNK

Post by FNK »

Melatonin works really well for me.

Rules of engagement:
* No caffeine for 5 hours.
* Darkness and silence.
* You'll need to find your dose, start low (1.5-3 mg).

In about half an hour after taking it you'll drift off.
thomas716

Post by thomas716 »

It works for me. I would recommend drinking no more than half a bottle, though. I sometimes have weird dreams from it, but that makes sleep interesting and fun. Sometimes I can take a quick drink of it and that's all I need to get to sleep.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

I purchased a zeo headband to look at my sleep patterns. They have a sleep coaching section based somewhat on what is affecting your sleep. Just paying attention to how you sleep and get to sleep helps. I found both the coaching and the sleep pattern analysis useful.
Never have used melatonin.
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

I'm suspicious. I'd have to see peer-reviewed studies that assess (1) whether this is safe and (2) whether it produces normal sleep cycles. Pubmed.com has no such studies. If you do not have normal sleep cycles, you may be in bed for 8 hours, but that does not mean the sleep you get is as restful as normal sleep should be.

Many medications out there that purport to treat insomnia have this problem - they don't produce normal cycles when you're supposedly "sleeping". Thus, the "sleep" they provide is not as restful or healthy as the sleep one should get. Some drugs create more problems than they solve - they are never the preferred first line of approach.

Focus on sleep hygiene, first and foremost. Google "sleep hygiene" and you'll find lots of good suggestions.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Riprap wrote:I am looking for reviews of a product called Neurosleep, a 14.5 oz drink, which claims to: promote restful sleep, help normalize sleep patterns, and support relaxation. It is sold in a plastic bottle packaged much like a sports drink. My wife bought it for me to try to help with my frequent insomnia.

Anybody ever try this stuff?
I never tried Neurosleep, but it sounds like a gimmick to me. I had some success with 5htp. I saw it on Dr. Oz and it works pretty good. It helps promote a positive mood, a restful sleep and even suppresses your appetite.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

To add to my previous reply:

If you believe neurosleep will help, there's a good chance it will. Not because of what is in it, but because the PLACEBO effect is quite powerful. (That belief may even help you relax more than normal so you can go to sleep.).

I'll tell you something, however: the available scientific evidence tells us a warm (not hot) bath before bed is just as good, plus a thick, not terribly interesting book for 15 minutes.
2comma

Post by 2comma »

A few thoughts from from someone who is a perpetual skeptic and believes in scientific evidence:

Are there any scientific peer reviewed studies supporting their claims? I haven't found any in a quick google search.

Has the product got FDA approval - much more rigid than the supplement market requirements?

Individual's responses are nothing more than anecdotal evidence, not scientific fact.

Sleeping problems are common to a lot of us thus a large market for anyone wishing to seperate you from your money.

The placebo effect is stronger than you would think; is there evidence that the product works beyond the placebo level?

Skepticism has contributed to my life in the same way as the Bogleheads have contributed to my investing. In fact, the Bogleheads are applying skeptical princables to investing. Google "the skeptical guide to the universe", "critical thinking" "science based medicine" and "logical fallacies" and learn how to properly evaluate claims like these promoters are making.

I'm not saying they don't work, yet, but I am looking for objective evidence and a consensus from the scientific community before I believe it. In other words I am skeptical.
If I am stupid I will pay.
Topic Author
Riprap

Post by Riprap »

Well, I tried it since it was sitting on my desk staring at me. It seems like I had better sleep last night. For sure I didn't lay in bed watching the clock waiting for sleep to come and I did not wander around the house a couple of times during the night. I also seemed to have had an active dream night...more REM sleep perhaps? Placebo effect...maybe. I too could not find much information about the product.

I might get another bottle and save it for a really difficult night and then put it to the test. Maybe I will use Thomas' suggestion to drink no more than half a bottle.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

I'm going to try to contribute to this post without getting into the realm of medical advice.

1) The product claims to produce a certain result
2) The product claims it is because of a particular active ingredient
3) This ingredient is an over the counter food supplement with is widely available
4) So why not just buy the supplement to test, and skip the drink? I assume it will by much cheaper that way.

The literature on melatonin as a sleep aid is contradictory. However, it seems to be safe. It is widely prescribed to children with neurologic disorders, who often have sleep disturbances, particularly of the circadian variety. I recommend it often to my patients, however, I do not have any opinion about whether the effects are better than placebo.

Hmm, sorry, I think I'm straddling that "medical advice" line.

NS
If you have to ask "Is a Target Date fund right for me?", the answer is "Yes" (even in taxable accounts).
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

Last edited by SPG8 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

Last edited by SPG8 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
travellight

Post by travellight »

wow, fascinating article on the issues with "peer-review"; thanks for posting.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Riprap wrote:Well, I tried it since it was sitting on my desk staring at me. It seems like I had better sleep last night. For sure I didn't lay in bed watching the clock waiting for sleep to come and I did not wander around the house a couple of times during the night. I also seemed to have had an active dream night...more REM sleep perhaps? Placebo effect...maybe. I too could not find much information about the product.

I might get another bottle and save it for a really difficult night and then put it to the test. Maybe I will use Thomas' suggestion to drink no more than half a bottle.
I just wanted to say that I used to experience the same as you mention, watching the clock, wandering around the house, not dreaming, etc. I was fortunate that my partner had a sleep apnea earlier in her life and told me she thinks I had it. Had a sleep study done and ultimately got put on a CPAP machine. Life before and after getting my CPAP is like the lives of two different people. That thing is worth it's weight in gold (to me)!!!

Just food for thought if your insomnia might be related to other issues.
SPG8

Post by SPG8 »

jendoe

Post by jendoe »

I think that the suggestion earlier to have sleep testing done (to rule out things like sleep apnea) is a good one. I recently talked to my primary doc about this, and he says that they're now doing at-home sleep studies. They send you a kit with directions, you hook yourself up, and get to sleep in your own bed. Much less stressful than going to a sleep study center, I'd imagine, and they seem to run about $400 (from what he said.)

One other thing you might think about trying, that has been a *huge* help for me (even though it's going to sound a bit crazy). Apparently "blue light" (i.e. computer/phone/tablet/tv, plus any white light - which has a blue component) can signal to your brain to not make melatonin.

I bought an orange lightbulb for $5 from Home Depot (you could do red, orange, or maybe yellow... anything on the opposite side of the light spectrum from blue)... and now use that about 2 hours before I want to go to bed. I avoid the computer and other screens during those 2 hours, and any blue/white lights. I actually got orange "safety glasses" (specially rated to screen out certain wavelengths of light) for ~$7 or so on Amazon, so if I need to do something (like set my thermostat, which has a blue backlight), I can use the glasses. I don't do any special restrictions on my activities (I often do some stretching/exercising, then reading, but you could do whatever you wanted to, as long as you avoid exposure to blue light).

It's worked really well for me... no pun intended, but the difference has been night and day. I work from home, and I was falling asleep regularly around 5pm before, because I literally couldn't keep my eyes open... would start feeling sleepy around 2 or so. It felt like I had been drugged :( and then I couldn't sleep at night, even if I tried to go to bed early, I was just wired and awake, sometimes until about 3 am.

And - I don't know if you need a whole 2 hours. I started with that (about 2 months ago) because it seemed like ample time, but you could, of course, play around with it and see if you can get by on less time.

Just an idea for a cheap, easy fix (imo) that made a huge difference for me.

Good luck!
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I'm locking this. OTC and home remedies for medical problems still constitutes medical advice which is off topic on this site.