timex ironman wriststrap

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
rex

timex ironman wriststrap

Post by rex »

Hi folks,

So I purchased this Timex ironman watch for $31 two years back and the Velcro strap just gave away. At this point I'm wondering if I should replace the strap for $12 or buy a new watch for $31. The two specific things I'm wondering is :

1. The strap costs about 38% of the cost of a new watch - isn't it better to just buy a new watch?
2. Even if I replace the strap on a 2 year old watch, how long will I be really be able to use it - considering the life span on these sports watches are not that long.

Thanks,
Rex
White Coat Investor

Re: timex ironman wriststrap

Post by White Coat Investor »

I just ordered a new strap for mine. The watch was a little more expensive than yours and the strap was a little cheaper though. Worst case scenario I'm out $10 if the watch dies tomorrow.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

I have a ~15 year old (based on date code E3) Ironman. The plastic band on it also broke after a couple of years. I replaced it with an inexpensive black nylon strap. The print on the watch face has worn off in many places, but apart from that the watch and strap continue to work fine.

BTW when it's time to replace the battery get one at a dollar store. They last just as long but are a lot cheaper than from the usual sources.
sport

Post by sport »

I have an extra watch that I use when I am doing something that might damage a good one. Years ago, I replaced the band with an inexpensive nylon strap. I think it cost less than $1. It is indestructible.
Jeff
Topic Author
rex

Post by rex »

Thanks guys. Any recommendation on where to buy an inexpensive strap - the ones on amazon are selling for $12...
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

I'm not aware that there are any straps available for less than $10-$20. Just finding a strap that fits a watch properly can be difficult.

But besides that, the issue for me is that the plastic covering the display gets scratched with normal use, such that after a few years, replacing the watch is worthwhile. The bands seem to last about as long as the display remains clearly visible.
Bylo Selhi

Post by Bylo Selhi »

rex wrote:the ones on amazon are selling for $12...
Not all of them, e.g. Voguestrap TX1802BK Allstrap 18mm Black Adjustable-Length Casuals Solid Nylon-Black Watchband "$4.95 & FREE Shipping on orders over $25." I'd also check out dollar stores.
John Z

Post by John Z »

Had my watch for years and the original strap broke. Went to the Timex website and there is a link where you can purchase the original type band for $10 including postage so you get an exact fit and look as the original.
John
sport

Post by sport »

tibbitts wrote:I'm not aware that there are any straps available for less than $10-$20. Just finding a strap that fits a watch properly can be difficult
Google is good for this kind of search. Here is one vendor
Jeff
OAG

Post by OAG »

I did my work watch with some DIY Velcro. Got some from Lowes and just used a Scissors to cut to size and loop over the pins and behind the watch then just overlap the V to create a "locking" connection inside the wrist (could also do that to either side if the back is going to get in the way of your work). Cost about 25 cents (my estimate since it was on a large roll of V).
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I like Speidel bands.
Gordon