Shutdown is affecting my Grand Canyon trip! Backup plan??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
xrvision

Shutdown is affecting my Grand Canyon trip! Backup plan??

Post by xrvision »

I'm scheduled to go hiking in the Grand Canyon next week, but I don't know if it'll happen in light of the government shutdown and I'm looking for a back-up plan. Anyone have any ideas?

-3.5 days total, flying into Phoenix and renting car
-Already have 1 day planned in Sedona. Considering extending it, but I'd like to go someplace new as I've been there before
-We've been to Phoenix and hiked Camelback Mountain, and we'd prefer to get out of Phoenix
-We're in our mid-30s, active, and love hiking.

Any suggestions would be appreciated! THANKS!
Flobes

Re: Shutdown is affecting my Grand Canyon trip! Backup plan?

Post by Flobes »

Havasupai. Supai Village. Havasu (and other) Falls.
On the Indian Reservation, and technically not part of the National Park.

Wildland Trekking Company
http://www.wildlandtrekking.com/adventu ... falls.html
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

Well that is a shame. I have hiked all the corridor trails in the Grand Canyon - North Kaibab, South Kaibab, and Bright Angel and they are fabulous.

I do not have details, but Marble Canyon up towards Lees Ferry AZ is supposed to have some good hiking.

Also you can hike in and around Flagstaff and the San Francisco mountains.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

We are in the same boat; leave on Wed Oct 9th; 2 days in Vegas than to Zion and Bryce National Parks.
We could stay longer in Vegas if necessary, but really want to see Zion/Bryce (that was the main impetus for the trip).
I don't wish this to be 14 days in Las Vegas (we are planning 3-4 as of now).
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

I have camping reservations at Zion NP next week, but I believe Congress may fund the National Park service very soon.
http://www.kolotv.com/news/nationalnews ... 44981.html
Republicans say the GOP-controlled House intends to pass legislation to reopen portions of the government, including national parks and processing of claims at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Best Wishes, | Joe
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Rob5TCP wrote:We are in the same boat; leave on Wed Oct 9th; 2 days in Vegas than to Zion and Bryce National Parks.
We could stay longer in Vegas if necessary, but really want to see Zion/Bryce (that was the main impetus for the trip).
I will be at Zion at about the same time as you. I'll wave to you when I am hiking in the Narrows:
http://www.utah.com/nationalparks/zion/zion_narrows.htm :happy
Best Wishes, | Joe
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

We just received this bit of backup news - we have never seen the Hoover Dam, so that is an option. It does remain open despite
the shutdown.

NOTE: Hoover Dam Visitors services remain open to the public during the current government shutdown because the facility is not operated by appropriated dollars.
http://www.usbr.gov/lc/hooverdam/service/

Just an option - that not optimal
HomerJ

Post by HomerJ »

Write your congressman.
thepommel

Post by thepommel »

Flobes wrote:Havasupai. Supai Village. Havasu (and other) Falls.
On the Indian Reservation, and technically not part of the National Park.

Wildland Trekking Company
http://www.wildlandtrekking.com/adventu ... falls.html
+1

I did the "Skywalk" on an Indian reservation along the Grand Canyon at the beginning of this year.

Fantastic experience. The area is referred to a "Grand Canyon West".

It's different than the link provide by the other poster above. Hualapai tribe, I believe.
http://www.grandcanyonwest.com/

Kind Regards,
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

JMacDonald wrote:
Rob5TCP wrote:We are in the same boat; leave on Wed Oct 9th; 2 days in Vegas than to Zion and Bryce National Parks.
I will be at Zion at about the same time as you. I'll wave to you when I am hiking in the Narrows:
If this shutdown prevails, we may be waving from downtown Vegas :oops:
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

Havasupai and Hualapai Indian Reservations
(aka "Grand Canyon West")

JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Rob5TCP wrote:
JMacDonald wrote:
If this shutdown prevails, we may be waving from downtown Vegas :oops:
Before I go to Zion, I am going to see some plays in Cedar City, Utah: http://www.bard.org
Cedar City is an hour drive north of St. George on I-15.
You will drive through Cedar City when you return from Bryce to Las Vegas.
If you enjoy plays, then I would recommend seeing one of them if it appeals to you.
"Peter and the Starcatcher" is quite good IMHO.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

Forest Service lands are generally unrestricted access, although amenities like campgrounds may be closed. Here's the Forest Service locator map: http://www.fs.fed.us/locatormap/ . In the general Las Vegas, Grand Canyon, St. George area, you can find the Humboldt-Toiyabe National Forest, Kaibab National Forest, and Dixie National Forest.

For example here's some more info on the Dixie National Forest: official maps at http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/dixie/map ... RDB5422451 and some sample hikes at http://www.everytrail.com/search.php?q= ... nal+forest.
Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan »

I haven't been so can't make a specific recommendation, but there are lots of state park in that part of the country that I hear are really good.
gks

Post by gks »

You might try the Utah State Parks. Dead Horse Point State Park has a campground, a spectacular view from the point, and is just down the road from Arches National Park.

http://stateparks.utah.gov/

edit: Oops, wrong state, try Arizona State Parks. Either way, there are many great things to see in either state.

http://azstateparks.com/index.html

Greg
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

JMacDonald wrote:I have camping reservations at Zion NP next week, but I believe Congress may fund the National Park service very soon.
http://www.kolotv.com/news/nationalnews ... 44981.html
Republicans say the GOP-controlled House intends to pass legislation to reopen portions of the government, including national parks and processing of claims at the Department of Veterans Affairs.
Well, this is not going to happen now, so on to Plan B if the shut down continues.
Best Wishes, | Joe
heyyou

Post by heyyou »

There is a very scenic, state highway loop drive from Kanab Utah southeast to Jacob Lake, east past the Vermillion Cliffs, past the closed Page highway but on to The Gap where you turn onto the temporary road north to Page, then back to Kanab. You can shorten this one by driving 15? miles on the dirt road that runs past the condor viewing site. The slot canyon tours will be open in Page since they are on the Navaho Reservation.

The Arizona state highway to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon(GC) will be open up to the park boundary. You are in Kaibab National Forest for 40 or more miles until the park boundary. From the state highway, there are rocky dirt roads that lead to GC overlooks and to a few trailheads that start in the nat. forests then enter the nat. park. You will only need 4WD in a few places, but none of them are marked. One of them is not obvious on the way down, but 4WD is needed to ascend on the return.
Random Poster

Post by Random Poster »

HomerJ wrote:Write your congressman.
I've got an upcoming National Parks vacation that may be affected by the shutdown, although I am (or was?) planning to see a different part of the US than the OP. At the moment, I'm considering cancelling everything and spending my money somewhere else where it may be appreciated*, although I've got about 2 days left before I have to make any final decisions.

I've written my congressmen (House and Senate) regarding this matter; neither of them have responded to me yet. Do you generally get an on-topic and substantive response from yours?

* i.e., outside of the USA.
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Can't remember how far away it is (was), but on our way to the Grand Canyon, we went through Monument Valley. I was awestruck! Being enveloped in Monument Valley has to be experienced once in your lifetime.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Random Poster wrote:
I've got an upcoming National Parks vacation that may be affected by the shutdown, although I am (or was?) planning to see a different part of the US than the OP. At the moment, I'm considering cancelling everything and spending my money somewhere else where it may be appreciated*, although I've got about 2 days left before I have to make any final decisions.

I've written my congressmen (House and Senate) regarding this matter; neither of them have responded to me yet. Do you generally get an on-topic and substantive response from yours?

* i.e., outside of the USA.

I write my Congresscritters from time to time. I'm one of those people called a gadfly. I generally get a reply months later, more or less on topic. Note that Congressional staff is out due to the shutdown, so don't expect any help there now.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

If by next week this is not resolved, we may shift 1/2 to 2/3 of our vacation from Utah to San Diego.
Both are about 4 hours from our starting point Las Vegas. While normally, I would be thrilled, we have
been to San Diego several times, but never to Utah.

This shutdown SU*KS big time. Congress should be docked salary - one week pay for every day
they remain shut down. I hope it's resolved one way or the other soon.
JMacDonald

Post by JMacDonald »

Rob5TCP wrote:If by next week this is not resolved, we may shift 1/2 to 2/3 of our vacation from Utah to San Diego.
Both are about 4 hours from our starting point Las Vegas. While normally, I would be thrilled, we have

This shutdown SU*KS big time. Congress should be docked salary - one week pay for every day
You might consider Moab, Utah. There is lots to do there: http://www.moab-utah.com
This is a good time of year as it it really hot in the summer.
Best Wishes, | Joe
Van

Post by Van »

Monument Valley.
Flobes

Post by Flobes »

While the national parks are spectacular, so are the vast lands and state parks that surround them in The West. And the scenic byways are themselves a great adventure, like Monument Valley suggested a few times in this thread.

Headed to Arizona (Grand Canyon)
Contact John McCain's office, and ask his recommendations.
Research Indian Reservation access to the Grand Canyon; this is a fabulous option even when the national park is open.
Check the state parks.

Headed to Utah (Zion)
50 Awesome Alternatives to Utah's National Parks, published today in response to the shutdown
http://www.kcsg.com/view/full_story/237 ... ocal_news1
Topic Author
xrvision

Post by xrvision »

Done.

Might try Monument Valley, or just stay in Sedona and Flagstaff area if we don't feel like driving.

Or we could scrap hiking and go to Vegas :happy
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

There are many wonderful State Parks in UT / AZ / NV that are as beautiful as National Parks.

Just to name a few: Red Rocks, Valley of Fire, Snow Canyon, Cathedral Gorge, etc....
And then around Page, AZ, you've got Antelope Canyon and Horseshoe Canyon.
Last edited by hsv_climber on Wed Oct 02, 2013 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

There is a lot of stuff in Southern Utah that isn't in a national park but is very similar to what is in a national park. The facilities, however, are not as nice. I'm not sure if BLM areas are closed, but Buckskin Gulch is about as good as the Narrows, no harder, and with 200 times less people. You might not be able to get a permit, but there also shouldn't be anyone checking for one!

Red Rock National Conservation Area outside of Vegas will be able to close its loop road, but not the rest of the access points

The Wasatch Front near Salt Lake is beautiful in October, and none of its hikes are closed.

Likewise the Moab area. Plenty open. You can do hikes in the Escalante area such as Spooky and Peekaboo. No permitting required and I can't imagine they'll close the road used to access it.

There are also lots of state parks in Utah such as Goblin Valley. Should be completely open and has some very nice hikes including some non-technical slot canyons.

Consider spending $20 to become a member of the Climb Utah site to find out all kinds of "hidden" stuff in Southern Utah. Much of it is technical, but not all of it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

We are looking at our options. If by the end of next week they are still on strike, we may go to San Diego instead of Bryce/Zion.
She would love to see the Wildlife animal park. We could go to the Utah state parks, but they will get much of the traffic from the
closed National Parks.

The other option is San Francisco and the redwoods. They can not close the redwood highway (though the parks
themselves will be closed).

[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
eldiente

Post by eldiente »

Kartchner Caverns - within 4 hours of Phoenix and more beautiful than Carlsbad Caverns - just not as big.

http://azstateparks.com/parks/kaca/
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

JMacDonald wrote:
Rob5TCP wrote:If by next week this is not resolved, we may shift 1/2 to 2/3 of our vacation from Utah to San Diego.

You might consider Moab, Utah. There is lots to do there: http://www.moab-utah.com
This is a good time of year as it it really hot in the summer.
Moab was one of the areas we considered (but went with Bryce/Zion) because they were much closer.
Also Canyonlands and Arches (along with Capital) were places we would have gone to by Moab.
Of course all are CLOSED !!
hsv_climber

Post by hsv_climber »

Rob,

You are seriously underestimating the beauty of UT / AZ / NV state parks. They are as beautiful as National Parks in the area, but much less crowded. Even with the shutdown, there will be less people in the State Parks than you would've seen in Zion.
To see it for yourself, just type in the names of the parks that I and EmergDoc provided into google images and compare them with pictures from National Parks that are nearby.
linenfort

Post by linenfort »

Good luck to the OP. A friend of mine just left Zion & Bryce and is currently "locked out" of the Grand Canyon. :(
Tortoise

Post by Tortoise »

When we last visited the Grand Canyon, we took a day trip up to Page to see the slot canyons. Drive North on 89 along the Vermillion cliffs until you start to get to Page. Turn right on 98 and drive a couple miles. You will see a turn off for the Upper Antelope Slot Canyon on your right. Instead of turning down that road, look to the other side of 98. There will be a paved road that will get you to the Lower Antelope Slot Canyon parking lot. The lower Antelope slot canyon is longer and more impressive than the upper. In the corner of the parking lot will be a shack with someone who will take your money for a guided tour through the slot canyon. The only way to go in is on a guided tour. It is well worth it.

"Always do right. This will gratify some people, and astonish the rest." --Mark Twain
Jack

Post by Jack »

xrvision wrote:Shutdown is affecting my Grand Canyon trip!
They have completely shut down access to the canyon for rafters. People can try for 10 or 15 years to win a lottery slot to raft the canyon. Those winning get to launch on a specific date determined a year ahead of time. I know people who Tuesday arrived at the gate at Lees Ferry with tens of thousands of dollars of rafting equipment and thousands of dollars of food packed in coolers for a three week raft trip. They were turned away and have lost their launch date forever. All of the launch dates for 2013 and 2014 have already been assigned to others.

I know other people who squeezed in and launched just before the shutdown. They should be arriving at Phantom Ranch, midway through the canyon, this weekend, completely unaware of the shutdown. They are expecting to exchange some of their passengers at Phantom as some hike in from the rim and others hike out. Except those people won't be allowed to hike in. And people hiking out won't find the car up at the rim that they expected. It should be interesting.
p14175

Post by p14175 »

You might check out sections of the Arizona Trail located outside the national parks and monuments in AZ or maybe some of the hikes highlighted in AZ Highways magazine http://www.arizonahighways.com/
littlebird

Post by littlebird »

If you've never been to northern New Mexico, I would recommend considering it. From Flagstaff, drive east on I 40, then head north again at Gallup to the four corners area and Chaco Canyon, Aztec and Salmon Ruins State Parks Along the way you'll pass the Painted Desert which you can see from the road and several Arizona state parks and historic and ghost towns. It's the perfect time of the year for it too.