Dog has difficulty [with medical condition]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Copernicus

Dog has difficulty [with medical condition]

Post by Copernicus »

Background: I have an 15-year old mutt, rescued, with short legs like a dachshund. He has arthritis all over and especially in legs. He walks slowly. He limps only just before and during rainstorms. All this is manageable with proper patience and assistance.

Problem: Lately, he finds it hard to lift his behind. When he goes potty, occasionally he can not hold up his behind, and may fall back. Sometimes he soils the behind. The vet said this is normal aging process and did not suggest any solution, except medication for arthritis. He gets the med and (glucosamnie + chondroitin).

It's a lot of work to clean him up, and he seems to behave for a while as if he feels 'guilty' about the accident.
I wonder whether there is any product that might help him 'spring back up' or another way to help him. I will appreciate any solution people have found from experience or ideas to try. Thank you!
frugaltype

Re: Dog has difficulty lifting his behind

Post by frugaltype »

Just looking on the web, there seem to be a number of things that can cause this. If you have the name of a good vet internist (vs. a regular vet), one who is both a good vet and not prone to putting an animal through stressful tests that may not be necessary, I would take your dog to him or her for evaluation.

I know that actual dachshunds are prone to back leg weakness. Something about their body structure just not being up to lifelong stress. I have seen photos and one dog in person who had a little cart supporting the back half of their body so that they could get around using their front legs.

That isn't to say that this might not be curable.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

The only thing that comes to mind is physical therapy to strenghthen the dogs muscles. Assuming he doesn't have some type of neurological disease or spinal cord lesion.
Mike
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

I like my pets way too much also, but when they start defecating in the house due to age I am thankful for the euthanasia option.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

[OT video removed by admin LadyGeek]

Now that the video is "behind" us, I do have to say that one should have pre-planned what they are going to do when their pets have lived a very long and useful life (as my dog nuzzles up to me).
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

Sad to say but it might soon be time for doggy heaven.

I love animals but there does get to be a point where one has to consider putting a pet down. It is a very tough thing. We had a dog break a hip and the family chose to put her down. Very, very tough.
A fool and his money are good for business.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I'll put it this way: would you be happy in a situation where your own medical conditions were such that you could no longer wipe your behind and your children had to do it for you? I can't help but think in some way the dog understands its not right for his loving master to do this for him. It is a tough decision.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
Quickfoot

Post by Quickfoot »

I'm a huge dog lover, and have had them most my life, that said it's time to consider quality of life vs quantity. Dogs do not show pain or difficulty so if it is exhibiting this amount of trouble it is probably in significant pain. Most dogs do not die natural deaths, their owners have to make the difficult decision of when their quality of life does not warrant additional suffering
Texas hold em71

Post by Texas hold em71 »

At 15, there is probably little that will help him spring back. We don't know him as well as you do. You have to judge whether his quality of life (and yours) is still acceptable. Having made this decision several times, you are rarely given an opportunity to be "sure" about your decision. When the decline is slow and steady, the decision is harder to make.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

We have 2 dogs and 2 cats. We recently had our 13 yo dog have surgery for a growth, which we were reluctant to do, but it worked out well and we (and the dog!) are glad that we did. That said, there will be a time in the next couple of years or so when we will have to decide that it's time to do the humane thing. Dogs often don't display pain directly. I think the risk is assymetrical: the risk of having a loving pet suffer pain for a time versus the risk of euthanizing a pet a day/week/month earlier than necessary.

My father, who had colon cancer, explained to us that when he felt the time was right and that to delay might jeopardize his ability to do what he felt he wanted to, he would exit his pain. It was the right thing for him to do (we're not religious, so please don't bring that up). I've always felt that we missed some time with him because he could not trust doctors to do the humane thing for him as a vet would do for a dog. Your pet doesn't have the wherewithal to make that decision, but his needs should trump yours.

I wish you and your dog all the best.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
newbie_Mo

Re: Dog has difficulty [with medical condition]

Post by newbie_Mo »

Acupuncture may help. You may want to find one that has worked on cats and dogs. Some link http://www.pawnation.com/2012/05/11/the ... -your-pet/

Find human, the effect of acupuncture can be obvious with 1 to 2 session (when it is done by a good acupuncturist).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Let's extend the courtesy to our pets. Giving incomplete unqualified medical advice in an anonymous internet forum is not recommended. As a reminder:
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
For pets, start with Cornell University College of Veterinary Medicine's Free Animal Health Resources Web Sites.

I also retitled the thread.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

Dear Mod:

I think what folks here are doing is not offering veterinary medical advice to the original poster (well, maybe a bit), but rather to be supportive of him in dealing with a difficult situation. He wants the best for his pet. Others are gently trying to help him to come to grips with the inevitable. As some say, when it comes to pets, they depend on their owner, who must often be proactive in helping the animal's last condition. When it comes to humans, we can often just step away and allow nature to take its course.

I for one find that dichotomy extremely troubling.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

Having read the other replies to this thread, I'd say that I'd at least identify the problem via a second opinion, perhaps from an internist as I mentioned above, before I decided all was lost.
ks289

Post by ks289 »

For hind leg weakness which is not responding to antiinflammatories and analgesics and which complicates defecating, consider researching use of a simple sling to support the hind legs during walking and to support the rear when defecating.
Last edited by ks289 on Sun Sep 29, 2013 7:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

It is possible that exercise can strengthen the back end. Our vet advised us to have the dog "sit" repeatedly.

Unfortunately we are putting her down on Oct 8th. 12 year old black lab. Can barely walk and is miserable.

It is difficult but we were advised the following:

Humans live in the past, present, and future. That is to say, when things are not going well, humans can look forward to a better tomorrow or reflect on a happier past.

Dogs live in the present. If their quality of life is poor, they are unhappy and you are prolonging their unhappiness.
OAG

Post by OAG »

We watched this in a much larger dog recently. DD owned this dog for which we took care of when her and family were out of town. It got progressively worst over about a 2-3 year period. Vet said there was nothing that could be done as it would just continue to get worse. It got to the point where he needed help going up and down stairs and we even held his hind quarters up so that he could go with out messing himself. Actually it got so bad we had to carry him (about a 40 pound animal) to go outside and then back inside. He restricted himself to a single room in the house and if tended to would never make a mess inside the house. It was like two different animals - the front portion was totally functional but the rear was just inoperable. He could not control his rear and could not get around almost at all. Of course it was at that point DW had to put him down. So hard after about 12 years of love on both sides. Good luck with your little one but at some point you know what will have to be done and it takes courage.
OAG=Old Army Guy. Retired CW4 USA (US Army) in 1979 21 years of service @ 38.
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

OAG
So hard after about 12 years of love on both sides. Good luck with your little one but at some point you know what will have to be done and it takes courage.....
....and more love.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
pointyhead

Post by pointyhead »

My dog has improved significantly by starting a NSAID (Carprofen) and Gabapentin. There, now that I have said what really seems to have made the difference let me give some background info. I have a 16 y/o 50 pound Dalmatian with a similar problem. About 2 years ago she stopped going up the stairs due to weakness in her hind end. Not a problem as everything she needs is down stairs and our house is built on a slab so no steps in our out. However, she has a significant neuropathy in both hind legs and will fall occassionally maybe about once a weeks when she defecates. I have even came home ONCE to find her laying in her stool and it appeared that she had defecated in her sleep and probably did not notice due to the sensory deficit. She has been on Chondroiton/Glucosamine supplement for years and I didn't know if it made a difference or not. We were out of town recently for 11 days and left her with a sitter. When we returned I was thinking it was time to put her down as she looking pretty bad, however, she still really enjoys eating and treats so I took her to the vet to see what we may try. We did 2 treatments with a K Laser which appeared to just make it worse and seemed a bit like Voodoo to me so we stopped that. Initially, started the NSAID and I saw immediate improvement--less limping, happy to go on a walk, then a week later we added the Gabapentin and she seems even better-No limping, even jumps around when we prepare food--unfortunately, the jumping usually leads to a fall but she recovers on her own. She still has the weakness which is permanent however she seems to be less symptomatic. Good luck!
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

the problem with animals is they have shorter lifespans than ours.still hard to do.

I've had to put down 2 cats and a ferret in the last 10 years. it's tough.

I could say put it down but we have spent over 6000 dollars in the last 3years on one of our current cats. the vet calls her a miracle cat because she has never seen a cat come back from same auto immune disease twice.

we were told both times to put cat down immedietly -but we did not.

so the only advice is stick it out as long as you can and want.
bpp

Post by bpp »

When our dog was dying of cancer, we used a hip sling to support her so she could go to the bathroom with some semblance of dignity.

As for euthanasia, we learned that when a dog has had enough of living, it will tell you. When you find it has wandered off more than once into the bushes or other hiding place and curled up there, that means it is looking for a private place to pass on. We may have waited too long in that particular case, but with our next one, we will at least wait until the pet has signaled that it wants to be released before helping it along.

Condolences in advance, whatever happens.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

obgraham wrote:Dear Mod:

I think what folks here are doing is not offering veterinary medical advice to the original poster (well, maybe a bit), but rather to be supportive of him in dealing with a difficult situation. He wants the best for his pet. Others are gently trying to help him to come to grips with the inevitable. As some say, when it comes to pets, they depend on their owner, who must often be proactive in helping the animal's last condition. When it comes to humans, we can often just step away and allow nature to take its course.

I for one find that dichotomy extremely troubling.
Dear obgraham,

My comment about medical advice was for the prior post which suggested using acupuncture - a procedure which has a variety of opinions on its effectiveness. The OP should discuss alternative treatments with his/her vet, or get a second opinion.

This is indeed a very sensitive and personal subject. I've been through these decisions before (putting down a pet), and certainly do not want to impede the discussion.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
Copernicus

Post by Copernicus »

I am the OP. Thank you all for the helpful, encouraging, and realistic comments. When writing the OP, I had some hope that, who knows, there might be some technique or product that alleviates the problem. This is our first dog. We do not have friends and relatives who have had to make such observations, and eventual decision. Everyone's compassionate comments are greatly appreciated! Thank You!
StormShadow

Post by StormShadow »

This thread makes me think about the story of John Unger and his dog Schoep. Please look them up if you get the chance.

Euthanasia doesn't have to be the only compassionate option for a loved pet.

SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

What a lucky dog to have you. My Ashly lived to be 17 years old. Even at this very old age she tried to be playful and never complained. But, there came a day when it was just time. A compassionate vet came to my house and put her down while I held her. My Samantha, a lovable Schnauzer, developed cancer and I waited too long before doing what I had to do. It's hard to know what to do.

I'm sorry for what you're going through.

Best to you.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
marathonwmn

Post by marathonwmn »

My dog developed a fear of stairs after I changed from carpet to hardwood. I bought 2 inexpensive rubber backed runners at Costco and trimmed them to tread size. This worked great so I think your dog will benefit from the runners suggested by some of the other folk. Good luck! What we won't do for our dogs!!! :)
The race goes not to the swift, but to those who keep on running. . .
fizxman

Post by fizxman »

I never had a dog growing up but back in June my girlfriend and I got one (rescued from a groundhog cage at my girlfriends work). I've grown so attached her that thinking about these types of things really bums me out.

If you haven't read "My Dog: The Paradox" over at The Oatmeal, it's pretty good. In only about 4 months, I've experienced a lot of the same things. Be advised, it's got some salty language.

http://theoatmeal.com/comics/dog_paradox
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

bpp wrote:When our dog was dying of cancer, we used a hip sling to support her so she could go to the bathroom with some semblance of dignity.

As for euthanasia, we learned that when a dog has had enough of living, it will tell you. ...
I basically agree that the animal's behavior will signal to you that its quality of life has diminished to the point that it is time for the owner to make that heartbreaking decision to euthanize. From what vets have told me and from what I have seen and done myself, owners tend to hang on just a little too long, and often it's not for the sake of the pet but to spare, at least temporarily, the owner the anguish of having to end a life.

On the brighter side, there is always that next dog or cat, etc., waiting and hoping for a new home.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
retiredbuthappy

Post by retiredbuthappy »

You may find your next dog is a great comfort.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

Ask your vet for permission to [dietary suggestion removed by admin LadyGeek (medical advice)]. Give it about 2 to 4 weeks and see if your animal doesn't improve. I've personally witnessed miracles with [dietary benefit claim (medical advice) removed by admin LadyGeek].
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

You're really a cat person, right?
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

retiredbuthappy wrote:You may find your next dog is a great comfort.
This has always been the case in our family and even becomes a factor when making a final decision to euthanize. Yes, the animal may live a bit longer hopefully without much pain, hopefully still able to enjoy something of life such as its owner's love. But always tugging at my mind is that little puppy or kitten or younger animal out there in need of the same break that the current pet was lucky enough to get.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Fallible wrote:
retiredbuthappy wrote:You may find your next dog is a great comfort.
This has always been the case in our family and even becomes a factor when making a final decision to euthanize. Yes, the animal may live a bit longer hopefully without much pain, hopefully still able to enjoy something of life such as its owner's love. But always tugging at my mind is the thought of that little puppy or kitten or younger animal out there in need of the same break that the current pet was lucky enough to get.
Last edited by Fallible on Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrischris

Post by chrischris »

I knew a guy that had an old dog that was nearly blind and completely deaf. The dog was 15+ years and he had it on a special diet. The dog could barely walk and would mess all over. I tried to discuss the idea of euthanizing the animal but he had a hard time with it.

He finally put the dog down when it started bitting his small children.
MaggieLouise

Post by MaggieLouise »

We were faced with the same issue this summer with our 16 yr. old Border Collie mix. She has arthritis and her back legs were giving out on her. We were where you are.

Our vet suggested Adequan. He never used it in his practice until he was at a seminar with other vets who had great success stories. Many, many successes. It does not work on every dog, but it seems to work for most. I went home and researched it online, reading as much as I could about others' experiences.

We decided to try it. I really had no hope for our dog, as I thought she was too far gone. Started Adequan June 2nd. After about the 3rd injection(see below) she seemed to be a little better. By the 4th week we were sure it was helping. Forward to now, Sept 30, 2013... she is walking, getting up & down with out struggling, going for little walks, enjoying her back yard, enjoying her life again. She does get too playful sometimes and wears herself out. The next morning she is pretty good again. She had a good summer.

Cost: It is about $17. every month for us. It is by injection, our vet taught us how to do it (easy, actually, because it goes under the skin and not into the muscle). The first month was more expensive because the vet did the shots.

Basic Adequan Info: It increases the joint fluid that has been lost and reduces inflammation (my simplistic definition). It is injected subcutaneously(under the skin). Originally injected into the muscle, but over time "under the skin" was found to be just as effective and not painful for the dog.

A 'loading' dose is done--2 injections each week for 4 weeks. After that, usually 1 injection a month. Many people do the injections themselves, the vet shows you how.

We were lucky our vet had experience with this. It has given our dear little dog more time and quality of life. Each day is a gift for us too.

This is my first post here. I apologize if my thoughts are not too well organized.
Alex Frakt
Founder

Post by Alex Frakt »

I think we are going to have to shut this down. Veterinary advice has the same issues as human medical advice - there's just no way to evaluate the applicability of any advice to the OP's situation.