squirrels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
javan

squirrels

Post by javan »

I have squirrels Eaton the fresh tender forms on my two queen Palm trees. They get on it via jumping from my flat roof. I have tried everything 200$worth of ideas Zippo. Any help! Javan
Lainey

Re: squirrels

Post by Lainey »

How about a motion activated sprinkler?
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Catch them in cages and dispose of them...
Attempted new signature...
thewizzer

Post by thewizzer »

I assume you live in an incorporated area? If not, a well placed .22 and you've got dinner as well as taking care of your problem.

If real guns are out of the question, maybe a bb gun or pellet gun might be an option (?).
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Take them out! :twisted: Cages are a humane way, there are other more "creative" methods but your neighbors may not take kindly to squirrels dropping out of the trees dead. Think chemistry.....
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
gks

Post by gks »

thewizzer wrote:I assume you live in an incorporated area? If not, a well placed .22 and you've got dinner as well as taking care of your problem.

If real guns are out of the question, maybe a bb gun or pellet gun might be an option (?).
A .22 short doesn't make much noise, and if you can find them, .22 CB caps are about as loud as a pellet gun.

Greg
jdb

Post by jdb »

thewizzer wrote:I assume you live in an incorporated area? If not, a well placed .22 and you've got dinner as well as taking care of your problem.

When I was a kid my father would get rid of pesky squirrels that way, then would give me the squirrel tails to tie on my bike handles as I cruised around our small town. Probably frowned on today. Edit: never did like the fried squirrel meat, too gamey.
Last edited by jdb on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Napalm?
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Gordon
jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 »

jdb wrote:When I was a kid my father would get rid of pesky squirrels that way, then would give me the squirrel tails to tie on my bike handles as I cruised around our small town. Probably frowned on today. Edit: never did like the fried squirrel meat, too gamey.
Actually, they are a LOT better in a good Brunswick stew.

http://www.justgamerecipes.com/gam-squir013.html

http://www.astray.com/recipes/?show=Squ ... ick%20stew

They are gamey, but not as sweet as raccoon.
davebo

Post by davebo »

Acorn laced with deadly chemicals? Dead Squirrels walking!
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

I saw on that show Shark Tank a buy making little electrified bird feeders to give squirrels a little shock, thought that was pretty funny.

I'd probably go with a high powered pellet gun if you've tried other methods and those aren't working. A well placed pellet to the head would make short work of the squirrels.

I actually hunted squirrels once, wanted to try squirrel. So I shot 3 squirrels and was going to clean them. Reached in my tackle box for a knife to clean the squirrels and stuck a big treble hook right into my finger next to the nail and it went in almost all the way through my finger...I couldn't push it the rest of the way through so went to the ER where they numbed my finger and then the nurse tried to push it through unsuccessfully so I just pushed it through myself and had them clip the barb off so I could slide it back out the way it came. Never did get to clean and eat those squirrels so I still haven't tried squirrel :D
2comma

Post by 2comma »

If I am stupid I will pay.
nordlead

Post by nordlead »

there are a few ways to kill them without using a gun (which could get you in trouble depending on where you live and how close the neighbors are).

If you know what they climb up/down, you could do it the survival way and build a squirrel pole. Essentially it is a stick with a bunch of snares, the squirrel jumps through them and eventually gets caught and hanged. Google will show you how to build one.

The other way is to take a 5-gallon jug and fill it half with water. Then coat the top with bird seed (or anything else they'll eat), and provide a ramp for them to climb up to the top with. They'll jump in after the food only to find out it is water and drown. My pool sort of works like this, only there is no food and it is pretty disgusting to find them in there when I do plan on swimming :annoyed

With either method eventually there won't be many squirrels left near your place.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

davebo wrote:Acorn laced with deadly chemicals? Dead Squirrels walking!
Dead neighborhood pets, too.
ndchamp

Post by ndchamp »

Crosman 2240 Bolt Action, CO2, single shot, 22 caliber.
Reasonably priced (currently under $50 at Amazon) , VERY accurate, and not extremely noisy. A great pellet pistol for small pests and target shooting.
Last edited by ndchamp on Wed Sep 25, 2013 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Creamy peanut butter with a tad bit of rat repellent placed on an ice cream stick (wear disposable surgical gloves when mixing it up and only mix it up as you need it - less chance of unintended consequences). In a few weeks, you'll see less of them around.
Place it at the scene of the crime - your eaten plants.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Atilla

Post by Atilla »

I'm a big softie when it comes to furry critters. I'd use a trap. It's easy, it works and you don't have to hang around waiting to shoot them or risk poisoning the wrong animal.

I'm up to 35 chipmunks in the last year. The little b@stards dig up my yard so they get trapped and taken to the horse farm up the road.

If you're going to cook a squirrel - making a stew is definitely the way to go.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Could just rig a physical barrier from their access route? A small bit of construction/garden fencing, etc? If you find something that works, it might actually be more permanent than killing them, since they can always come back. They're pretty crafty, so it's possible they'll outsmart your device, but if it makes it dangerous or inconvenient enough for them, they'll just go elsewhere. We have a ton of squirrels, who used to dig up our garden like crazy which made sprouting tender seeds very difficult. A bit of plastic garden fencing was all it took to dissuade them. They can surely climb over it if they want to, but it proved to be enough. Other neighbors had covered their entire boxes with bird netting, which was probably overkill.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

Atilla wrote: If you're going to cook a squirrel - making a stew is definitely the way to go.

Chicken of the Trees. Braise (until tender) with cream of mushroom soup, a bit of red wine, sliced onions, garlic powder and potatoes, and you have yourself a pretty good redneck meal.

I've eaten squirrels many times. They're OK, but not as tasty or tender or easy to prepare as rabbit.

Before shooting, it might be wise to consider hunting and game laws in your jurisdiction. In PA, squirrels are game animals, with a set season and a hunting license is required. I don't know about other states, but doubt they are considered a varmint you can kill at will.
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

deanbrew wrote:
Atilla wrote: If you're going to cook a squirrel - making a stew is definitely the way to go.

Chicken of the Trees. Braise (until tender) with cream of mushroom soup, a bit of red wine, sliced onions, garlic powder and potatoes, and you have yourself a pretty good redneck meal.

I've eaten squirrels many times. They're OK, but not as tasty or tender or easy to prepare as rabbit.

Before shooting, it might be wise to consider hunting and game laws in your jurisdiction. In PA, squirrels are game animals, with a set season and a hunting license is required. I don't know about other states, but doubt they are considered a varmint you can kill at will.
New York State has no limits, you can take as many as you can take out with no. 6 or a .22 (anything larger will ruin the meat) The new season opens up Oct 1 and runs through Sept. 30th next year.
rixer

Post by rixer »

If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's.... "You can't outsmart the squirrel." :-(
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

rixer wrote:If there's one thing I've learned in life, it's.... "You can't outsmart the squirrel." :-(
If you show up at 6am in the morning just before they rise and shine for the day, you certainly can. :wink:
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

[quote="If you show up at 6am in the morning just before they rise and shine for the day, you certainly can. :wink:[/quote]

That is better than 6AM in the evening! :happy
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

I followed this fellow's advice to the letter and presto - no more squirrel problem:

<http://www.unexco.com/trapsquirrels.html>
jdb

Post by jdb »

deanbrew wrote:

Chicken of the Trees, that's funny. Suspect not too many participants on this site have eaten squirrel meat. As I recall more like rodent than chicken. I resolved when about 12 years old never to eat squirrel again and so far have been successful. Will wait until served at some high end restaurant.