Any Jeep enthusiasts? They seem to retain their value

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
DireWolf

Any Jeep enthusiasts? They seem to retain their value

Post by DireWolf »

I've always kicked around the idea of getting a Jeep. The other day I saw a 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary Limited Edition, and now I've got Jeep fever.

After doing some research, I was surprised to see how much they cost and how much they retain their value. It's not uncommon to see Jeeps with 50k miles going for $25k.

I know there's a Jeep culture out there... any Boglehead Jeep enthusiasts willing to share pros/cons of owning a Jeep... particularly a Rubicon.
musbane

Re: Any Jeep enthusiasts? They seem to retain their value

Post by musbane »

They can hold their value fairly well.

Last year we bought a 2005 Rubicon with 30k miles for $24,000.

The Rubicon package only makes sense if you do some fairly serious off roading - particularly in rocks.

They are not the most reliable cars out there and their gas mileage is horrible. They have all the streamlining of a brick.

But they are loads of fun.

And you can spend a small fortune modifying them. Which may help explain some of the high prices out there.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

I owned a 2005 Jeep X for six years and recently sold it. They are great second vehicles if you like to off-road. My jeep was my primary source of transportation the last two years I owned it. As someone stated earlier, jeeps can be expensive to modify. Once you get a jeep you will want to put alot of work into the vehicle which can cost thousands of dollars. Jeeps also have terrible gas mileage. On a good day I would get 13mpg. It didn't help I had 33 inch tires. The windshield seems to crack often. I replaced my windsheld a few times and I often see cracked windshields on other jeeps. The best quality about my jeep was the ability to take off my soft top on beautiful days and put it on during not so pleasant days. I really enjoyed owning the vehicle. I only sold my jeep because I didn't want three vehicles parked at our house. The bumpy ride also got old as I drove it every day. If you are going to buy a jeep, know they can be expensive to own.
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

DireWolf wrote:I've always kicked around the idea of getting a Jeep. The other day I saw a 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary Limited Edition, and now I've got Jeep fever.

After doing some research, I was surprised to see how much they cost and how much they retain their value. It's not uncommon to see Jeeps with 50k miles going for $25k.

I know there's a Jeep culture out there... any Boglehead Jeep enthusiasts willing to share pros/cons of owning a Jeep... particularly a Rubicon.
Hi, I own a 2001 Wrangler Sport,6cyl. automatic. I drive it everyday. I get around 17.5 mpg and always have. I run 30x9.50 tires with smooth tread as I do not go off road a lot although I live in CO. I maintain it well but have not customized anything. It has 77,000 miles and original windshield. I only have a soft top and love to take it down but it is not as easy as pushing a button. I love driving it but the short wheelbase can make it a little bumpy, as my wife will tell you. Take one out for a spin and try it on the highway also. Good luck.
camiboxer

Post by camiboxer »

I am a Jeep fan. Bought a 2008 Grand Cherokee V8 new and eventually picked up a used 2003 Liberty V6. Still have both.
Like others have mentioned the fuel economy is non-existent but I didn't buy either to save on gas. The Cherokee gets driven on nice days and road trips during holidays. Has about 8,500 miles on it and is a garage queen originally purchased so the dog would have some comfort while traveling. The Liberty is my get around town vehicle and is zippy and parks anywhere easily.
Check out jeepforum.com as it seems to be a great resource of info for all things Jeep.
z06ray

Post by z06ray »

Big rubicon fan and will be buying a tj rubicon at some point.

They last a long time and you are right they hold their value like crazy. Style doesn't change much and top and doors come off. I say go for rubicon, you will get the money back.

For giggles, last night, I was seeing worst case how much it would be to replace an engine on one of them, I was pleased to see the costs is very minimal and it will just keep going.

Lots of spots on wranglers where rust comes out...can have it fixed or just remember, it's a jeep thing.
scouter

Post by scouter »

I owned a Jeep (CJ-7) for 15 years. Loved driving it, hated owning it, (but it did hold it's value).

There was nothing more fun than being the the only person going out for a drive in a snow storm. It was lot of fun pulling other people's cars out of the ditch in the snow. It was great to take the top and doors off and go for a picnic on a beautiful day, and you could 4WD up fire trails and other places normal cars won't go. BUT:

Everything that could break on a car, broke on my Jeep. I replaced the steering gear box 4 times, the gas tank, (rusted through and started leaking gas), the gear shift lever broke (on the highway), the steering wheel linkage broke as I was pulling out onto a major road, the body rusted through in many places, the radiator leaked and had to be replaced, etc. The latch for the pull-out spare tire rack was always hard to open, and I once broke a finger opening it! (2 surgeries) My Jeep was only a 3-speed and had a practical top speed of 55-60 on the highway, and even at 55 it was extremely noisy. This was a 1978 Jeep, when they were made by AMC. Hopefully, they're better today.

However, I ordered it brand new from the factory for $7000, drove it for 15 years, and then sold it for $3500. Go figure.

Now, when I get the urge to drive a Jeep, I rent one for the day. I rented one for two weeks in Hawaii last year.
midareff

Post by midareff »

In August of 2003 I bought a 2004 Jeep Liberty Limited loaded. I bought it to be my daily driver and keep ten years until I retired. To my amazement the original tires would probably have cleared 52k or so miles with still legal tread. I took them off at 48K realizing the next set would last the remaining life of the car and there are heavy summer rains in Miami. Mechanically the Jeep was OK to good.... in 9.5 years and 85K miles; 2 water pumps, couple of batteries, an a/c compressor, one major tune up, one brake job ... nothing out of line for the time and mileage. Cosmetically.. the paint held up very well, still nice and shiny metallic when I sold it with no rust of any kind. Gas mileage... pitiful... 20-21 highway, 14-15 mixed use, 10-12 rush hour jams. As a daily driver to work where it sat under a tree as a bird bathroom part of the day and full sun the other part it was fine with good drivability, good visibility, reasonably dependable, nice automatic with plenty of power. Paid it off fast and it was cheap to keep, except for gas, and fit my purpose well. I replaced it about 6 months after I retired with a sedan. Hope it helps.
may pop

Post by may pop »

I also have a Rubicon 2004 all the options. Only 31K on the odo but still worth what I paid for it almost 7 years ago. If maintained and a good one to begin with it will hold its value. That is for a Wrangler only.

Ron
z06ray

Post by z06ray »

I agree, I would more so be talking about wranglers. especially tj. Less stuff that can break. CJ and YJ would scare me, I think you can set up for some problems. I wouldn't put much money into cosmetics or lifts...that you won't get back and when you do plan to sell, will probably only hinder you rather than help you.

I would also get a manual. I believe 05 and 06 were prone to issues with OPDA. It is pretty easy to fix before an issue and also easy to check to see if you have problems with yours.

I would look for one with a hard top if driving in winter. Gas won't be the greatest, but you have to pay to play.
gerrym51

Post by gerrym51 »

I tend to hold a car over 10 years. at 10 years resale value is kind of out the door.
GTF

Post by GTF »

DireWolf wrote:I've always kicked around the idea of getting a Jeep. The other day I saw a 2013 Jeep Rubicon 10th Anniversary Limited Edition, and now I've got Jeep fever.

We bought a 2008 Wrangler Sport 2 door that cost about 18k used. Unless you are really going to get off road the Sahara package or Sport should do all you need.
The wife and I like to get off road and really like the two door, but that makes the back seat really tough to use for adult people. Living in the desert southwest
and being geocachers we have lots of opportunities to get in some rough area to find caches.

The 2008 is automatic and has a V6 and we get approx 20 miles highway,off road and city probably around 15 miles per gallon. We love our jeep and our 2013
Subaru Outback, and we are hard to stop.
kingjimmy

Post by kingjimmy »

In 1999 I bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for $13,500. I drove it pretty heavily, and took it from 60,000 miles to about 225,000, when I finally sold it in 2007 for $1,500. I had a lot of very expensive repairs that started to hit my jeep at about the 150,000 mile marker on a regular basis. I had to put $3,000 into the engine once. Then I had a number of electrical issues that kept poppipng up on me every year. The last couple of years I was putting at least $1,000 a year into the vehicle just to keep it alive. Then there was the heavy gas consumption, which was costing me $100 a week.

I loved my Jeep and would love to own one again some day, especially since I'm much better off financially than I was back then, and especially since I'm only putting about 7,000 or so miles on my car these years (vs the 20k+ I sometimes did on my Jeep). But I own a 2008 Honda Accord these days. I feel kinda spoiled with it. And I plan on driving it until my soon to be bride (17 more days!) worries about the safety of our theoretical future children. Which is to say, I plan on driving it into the ground.

The Jeep is a great vehicle... but in my opinion once you hit the 150,000 mile marker, you can expect to have some serious problems that will undercut whatever perceived value you think the vehicle is "holding." I expect my Accord to hold up nicely until I get in the 200-250,000 mile mark, and still retain a lot of value. At 7,000 miles a year right now, that could probably be the rest of my life :-)
Jimmy
p14175

Post by p14175 »

kingjimmy wrote:In 1999 I bought a 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo for $13,500. I drove it pretty heavily, and took it from 60,000 miles to about 225,000, when I finally sold it in 2007 for $1,500. I had a lot of very expensive repairs that started to hit my jeep at about the 150,000 mile marker on a regular basis. I had to put $3,000 into the engine once. Then I had a number of electrical issues that kept poppipng up on me every year. The last couple of years I was putting at least $1,000 a year into the vehicle just to keep it alive. Then there was the heavy gas consumption, which was costing me $100 a week.
Sounds like my 93 Jeep Grand Cherokee (ZJ model). I bought it in 1997. I constantly had electrical and emissions problems with it. I sold it in 2006 for $6000 when the cost of all the repairs I had to make equaled what I paid for it, $17,000. It was a really nice touring car. I also used it for extreme 4-wheeling so it had a lot of modifications. I kind of miss it, but I like my 1994 Dodge Cummins 4x4 much better.
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

I've had 3 Grand Cherokees. A '93, '97, and 2007. By far the most reliable vehicles I've owned. The First two were pushing 160K+ miles without any major repairs. The 2007 has 79K miles without any repairs, at all. The mileage, ironically, in my 1993 was the best. 4.0L with SelecTrac got 20+mpg. The 2007 with Hemi and QuadraTrac 2 gets 15 mpg mixed driving and just 12 around town.

The 2007 is for sale if interested. :wink:
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

I owned a 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee and took it off roading on numerous occasions. I belonged to a Jeep Club, and went to a few Jeep Jamborees which I highly recommend. This is an excellent way to get instruction and the experience of what your Jeep can do. They are amazing vehicles. And you will meet the nicest people in the world at a Jeep Jamboree. I spent several thousand dollars, doing lifts, bigger tires, upgraded traction systems, skid plates etc. You will come back with minor brush scratches on your paint.

It was a wonderful experience and am glad I did it. At my age now, I do not see doing this anymore. I know that the wranglers are lots of fun, but if it is going to be a daily driver, be sure you want to experience the ride and wind noise everyday.

They will go through deep water, but after replacing the transfer case and transmission, I would limit it to no more that a foot or two. Deep water is a jeep killer.

Overall glad I did it, but will not do it again (probably)
There was a saying in the jeep club:
Jeep stands for:
J just
E empty
E every
P pocket
Dan999
imperialman67

Post by imperialman67 »

This probably isn't relaxant to the new Jeeps,but my first new vehicle ever was a 1985 CJ-7.
As a 20 something male at the time It was something I HAD to have.
Funny that I can still remember the bottom line sticker price on it which was $10,280.
Good coin for a vehicle in 1985.
With that being said I drove it for 11 years and 120,000 plus miles. The only reason it was sold was my growing annoyance at having to crawl in the back to place my newborn daughter in her carseat, and my concerns about how safe it was to have her riding in it. I will say that CJ was one of the most trouble free vehicles I have ever owned.
Beyond normal maintenance items it was trouble free :happy
MP173

Post by MP173 »

I had a 2001 Grand Cherokee Ltd and it was a great vehicle until the timing chain wore out at 195000 miles. I limped into a Jeep dealer...was 150 miles from home and bought a 2006 Jeep Commander. I needed it for the head and leg room.

Lousy gas mileage but the Commander has been a very reliable vehicle. Two years ago I gave it to my 16 year old son to drive around town to and from school etc. It is big, slow, and safe. Son is now at college and the Commander is in the driveway with 191,000 miles. I drove it yesterday and endured the big bass speakers my son put in the back.

Don't think I will send it to him at school...850 miles away.

I currently drive a Chevy Equinox...not very exciting but really economical.

Ed
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I would say that Wranglers hold their value. Not so much for the rest of the lineup.
Topic Author
DireWolf

Post by DireWolf »

Well I took the plunge. We bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 88k miles on it for $11,500. It's in great condition and a ton of fun to drive!
SimpleGift

Post by SimpleGift »

Congratulations on your new (to you) Jeep, DireWolf!

In our part of the country, ten and twenty-year old Jeeps of various models are very popular and coveted vehicles, due to their reliability and performance in snow and off-road. It's not at all uncommon to see Jeeps in our area with 150,000 to 200,000 miles on them.

Personally, we've owned a 1997 Jeep Cherokee Sport since it was new. It's now got 130,000 miles on it, is still going strong, and we're shooting for 200,000 miles. Maintenance problems have been modest so far (new steering stabilizer, shocks, water pump, etc.) and we're keeping our fingers crossed. Good luck with yours!
avenger

Post by avenger »

I loved my 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee which I owned from 2008-2013. Reliable vehicle.
cheers ... -Mark | "Our life is frittered away with detail. Simplify. Simplify." -Henry David Thoreau | [VTI, VXUS, BND, VTEB, SV fund]
busdriver

Post by busdriver »

FYI: Jeep is an acronym - Just empty every pocket! :P

As an owner of a 1966 Jeepster Commando, 1970 Wagoneer and 1973 J4000 pickup, I can attest to Jeeps, (at least mine), as being anti-Boglehead. :oops: I think it's more of an obsession thing for me; however, it has been an enjoyable hobby. :sharebeer
cleosdad

Post by cleosdad »

DireWolf wrote:Well I took the plunge. We bought a 2000 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 88k miles on it for $11,500. It's in great condition and a ton of fun to drive!
Direwolf, That's great. I have a 2001 Wrangler Sport with 80,000. It is in great condition and I love it. Glad to see it is worth that much but I will not sell mine.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

Update on the 2006 Jeep Commander which I wrote about a year ago....

My son is now living at home and drives it around town. Pretty lousy gas mileage. Last winter during the constant snowstorms we endured, it was outstanding. The car has been paid for the past 5 years and is inexpensive to drive, other than gas. With gas in the $3.40 range...it is cheaper than buying another car.

Ed
jamesb124

Post by jamesb124 »

I was fortunate to find a 2006 TJ Rubicon in 2010 for $19k on craigslist. The car is in great shape and I just replaced the original tires at 39k mi - otherwise, it is stock. They are easy to maintain and do hold their value well. I am keeping mine stock but there are a ton of accessories out there and I can see how they are fun to modify.

Are you aware that Rubicon's do not have antilock brakes? At least the TJ's from that era do not. Between the long travel suspension, the solid axles and the lack of ABS, they can be interesting to drive for long distances. I have to pay very close attention to the road - they really take effort to control.

And be sure you are aware of the 'death wobble'?

That said, I love my Wrangler. I have a beach permit to go on some LI beaches that are open to 4wd vehicles and it is a lot of fun.

Remember to wave to other Wrangler owners. Don't be surprised if the ones driving the 4 door models don't wave back!

Good luck and have fun.
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

Selling my ATV and getting a Jeep Wrangler later this week (just need to decide on how many doors and wait for the order to come in). It's actually the lowest depreciation / highest residual vehicle you can buy today (other than the GMC Canyon and the Chevy equivalent - but that might be because they're fairly new to the market).

I had one for about 3 weeks in college and I've wanted one ever since, but I'm more of a bookworm desk jockey than an outdoorsman so I couldn't rationalize it. I finally have the excuse that I have a lot of property with logging trails on it and only 3 spaces in my garage so something has to go to make room for something that can go on trails as well as the street. That means Jeep Wrangler, Range Rover, and G wagen. Of those I wouldn't dream of driving the last two off road and damaging it due to the repair bill. Ergo...

Agree with others that there is a huge (possibly the largest of any/all, though Chevy big block can give it a run for its money) aftermarket / upgrade community out there and you can easily throw the entire purchase price of your jeep and then some into upgrades (supercharger? no problem. $10k want a Hemi? no problem. $25k. blown Corvette engine? No problem $30k. ridiculous lift kit and monster truck tires? no problem, $10k, etc...)

All the above applies only to Wranglers. The rest of the Jeep lineup depreciates at or worse than the rest of the competitive vehicles in their class, and really the only other favorably reviewed product they make is the Grand Cherokee (which I've also owned temporarily and loved).
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
Rich Cape Cod

Post by Rich Cape Cod »

I own a 2009 Wrangler Sahara (keep that one on Cape Cod) and a 2011 Wrangler Sahara (kept at home just south of Tucson). Bought both used. For my purposes they are very practical cars. I don’t travel great distances with them (a rare trip of 100 miles or so). When on the highway, at moderate speeds (65 mph) I’ve gotten close to 22 mpg on the 2009 model. Around town I get around 16 mpg. Maintenance has not been a problem for either vehicle. I keep excellent records (on a spreadsheet) for my vehicles, which show me:

2009 Jeep, owned from 20,150 mile to current 37,000
Two main expenses; 2016 new battery – 2015 left front brake needed repair

2011 Jeep, owned from 29,924 to current 48,000 miles
2015 battery
2016 four new tires $1,367 –

Oil used for both is Mobil 1. Changed with filter once a year (just before cars put to bed until I get back to them in about six months).

Both vehicles have never been a “problem” but then I don’t go off road normally and stay right on top of all normal maintenance requirements.

Rich
Rich Cape Cod/AZ