Free Wharton MBA Classes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mandrale

Free Wharton MBA Classes

Post by Mandrale »

Just ran across this article on Yahoo Finance and found it extremely cool that Wharton was offering free MBA level classes.

Did anyone else read this article or enroll in the classes?

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/wharton-p ... 55193.html
WendyW

Re: Free Wharton MBA Classes

Post by WendyW »

Mandrale wrote:Did anyone else read this article or enroll in the classes?
The value of a Wharton MBA comes from the prestige of graduating from there, the value of the on-campus recruiting, the value of the contacts you'll make with classmates there, and the value of the alumni network.

You don't get any of those things from these free courses.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

WendyW wrote:The value of a Wharton MBA comes from the prestige of graduating from there, the value of the on-campus recruiting, the value of the contacts you'll make with classmates there, and the value of the alumni network.

Well, some people might be interested in taking the free classes to <gasp> learn.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

dickenjb wrote:Well, some people might be interested in taking the free classes to <gasp> learn.
Agreed, and that's fine.

But if you're taking this course to learn, there's not much reason to get excited about the Wharton branding.

The content is unlikely to be much different from what you could learn from a University of Phoenix course, nor even from what you could learn from checking out a book from the library.
serbeer

Post by serbeer »

Well, I mostly agree, but there is also value in quality of instructors.
While not guaranteed, it is very likely that Wharton MBA professors are the best in the field (that is most knowledgeable, engaging, good presenters, etc). Material may be very similar but presentation of it does matter.
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

serbeer wrote:Well, I mostly agree, but there is also value in quality of instructors.
While not guaranteed, it is very likely that Wharton MBA professors are the best in the field (that is most knowledgeable, engaging, good presenters, etc). Material may be very similar but presentation of it does matter.
Agreed with all that.

My point is that you're not getting something worth $97,000 for free.

You've getting some business knowledge (worth $???) in exchange for your time and effort (worth $??).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Thank you.

These could be fantastic courses.

Even among MBA schools, the Wharton first year finance and accounting courses are somewhat legendary. They also have one of the best Operations Management faculties of any business school (as well as first class Accounting and Finance departments, of course).

The introductory corporate finance course would be of great interest to almost anyone who reads Bogleheads.
Topic Author
Mandrale

Post by Mandrale »

WendyW wrote:
dickenjb wrote:Well, some people might be interested in taking the free classes to <gasp> learn.
Agreed, and that's fine.

But if you're taking this course to learn, there's not much reason to get excited about the Wharton branding.

The content is unlikely to be much different from what you could learn from a University of Phoenix course, nor even from what you could learn from checking out a book from the library.
Well according to the website, they are not supposed to be just easy classes -- It is supposed to be extremely similar to, and in some cases, what the teachers of the classes are using.

This post was more of an informant for people who want to look for additional ways to learn. There's no sense in coming in here just to degrade the post.
novaboglehead

Post by novaboglehead »

WendyW wrote:
serbeer wrote:Well, I mostly agree, but there is also value in quality of instructors.
Agreed with all that.

My point is that you're not getting something worth $97,000 for free.

You've getting some business knowledge (worth $???) in exchange for your time and effort (worth $??).
It should be "you're" not "you've". I guess they don't teach spelling at Wharton.

My point is that unnecessary tinkling in the Cheerios instead of a "Mandrale, thanks for the interesting link" is lame.

Oh, and Mandrale, thanks for the interesting link. :sharebeer
linuxizer

Post by linuxizer »

Wharton also just partnered with Sirius XM so there will be a business channel. Something like 20 hours of live content a week. Some of it seems like it will make predictions about market direction (stock hour with Jeremy Siegal) but others will prob be more planet money-like (business of sports, etc.).
coacher

Post by coacher »

I am a Wharton MBA and have also taught corporate finance at the undergraduate level (not a "name" school). The basics (nuts and bolts) are really not much different, just perhaps the pace and the value of the group work. But truthfully the difference in what one gets out of the core courses is not what I would feel qualifies as "legendary."
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

coacher wrote:I am a Wharton MBA and have also taught corporate finance at the undergraduate level (not a "name" school). The basics (nuts and bolts) are really not much different, just perhaps the pace and the value of the group work. But truthfully the difference in what one gets out of the core courses is not what I would feel qualifies as "legendary."
i agree it is mostly about the people-- your classmates. Legendary may be too strong a word, but profs at other big name B Schools (at least in Europe) do say things like 'this course is a lot tougher at Wharton'.

In fact, my undergrad finance course used 'Financial Theory and Corporate Policy' by Copeland and Weston (now Copeland Weston Shastri). Which is in fact a more advanced textbook than Brealey and Myers. So you could argue *undergrad* was tougher than *postgrad* ;-).
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

Mandrale wrote:
WendyW wrote:
Agreed, and that's fine.

Well according to the website, they are not supposed to be just easy classes -- It is supposed to be extremely similar to, and in some cases, what the teachers of the classes are using.

This post was more of an informant for people who want to look for additional ways to learn. There's no sense in coming in here just to degrade the post.

They're also free. Which is not irrelevant.
SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy »

I'm taking a Wharton class on the Business of Sports through the coursera website and am finding it quite informative. I've never looked at it as an industry before and tried to analyze the different league structures, sources of revenues, player compensation, etc. that are present in sports around the world. I find the professors video lectures to be quite engaging, and he clearly is very knowledgeable about the subject. Don't think I'd get quite the same feeling from University of Phoenix, but who knows. Wharton's is free whereas U. of Phoenix charges.
A_C_E

Post by A_C_E »

Can anyone please tell me how to register for one of these courses? It sounds very interesting!
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Look at the catalog of available courses here:
http://www.coursera.org/courses

Edit: Changed link from home page to course listing page.
Last edited by stan1 on Sun Sep 22, 2013 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

stan1 wrote:Look at the catalog of available courses here:
http://www.coursera.org
Great link. Thanks!
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
prudent

Post by prudent »

WendyW wrote:
Mandrale wrote:Did anyone else read this article or enroll in the classes?
The value of a Wharton MBA comes from the prestige of graduating from there, the value of the on-campus recruiting, the value of the contacts you'll make with classmates there, and the value of the alumni network.

So it's like paying a huge initiation fee to get into a private club?
ursineogre

Post by ursineogre »

If it makes anyone feel any better or more motivated to take the courses, I have completed one coursera course so far. I attempted the Cryptography course (Stanford), but I do not have the discrete probablity background and did not get it quickly (my background is electrical engineering, focusing on RF propagation and only had one statistic course). I finished the Mapping and Geospatial Revolution course, which was much easier, due to content and having some background at work.

So the courses range in difficulty from "really, that was a course?" to "way above my head." But, like Howard on "BIg Bang Theory," I only have a masters in engineering.
Blue

Post by Blue »

Thanks for posting. With some trepidation, I signed up for Cochrane's "Asset Pricing" course starting Sept 30 (but with materials available now) that includes review of the FF model and is the same material as the phd course at Booth/Univ Chicago.
stan1

Post by stan1 »

Blue wrote:Thanks for posting. With some trepidation, I signed up for Cochrane's "Asset Pricing" course starting Sept 30 (but with materials available now) that includes review of the FF model and is the same material as the phd course at Booth/Univ Chicago.
Wow, 10-15 hours per week would sure scare me off!
Warning: I am about 80% satisficer (accepting of good enough) and 20% maximizer
MP173

Post by MP173 »

This is pretty cool.

For those of us in the later stages of our careers that an MBA would not make sense, but have a thirst to learn...this might be of interest.

Ed
Blue

Post by Blue »

stan1 wrote:
Blue wrote:Thanks for posting. With some trepidation, I signed up for Cochrane's "Asset Pricing" course starting Sept 30 (but with materials available now) that includes review of the FF model and is the same material as the phd course at Booth/Univ Chicago.
Wow, 10-15 hours per week would sure scare me off!
Agree, the level of mathematics and time commitment are daunting. Still, little downside to signing up and "surveying" the course.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

Thanks, I saw the word Free and quickly jumped on this thread. Just registered for a free course and then I saw this:

What is the coolest thing I'll learn if I take this class?

You will not only better understand what people in the business media are talking about, you will also be able to notice when they don’t know what they are talking about!
MP173

Post by MP173 »

bogledude:

Which class did you sign up for? Can you give us a weekly update as to how this class works out for you? I am really interested in this, but not if it is too much to handle.

My son is off to college and we are now empty nesters and looking for something to do.

Ed
WendyW

Post by WendyW »

prudent wrote:So it's like paying a huge initiation fee to get into a private club?
It's a little bit like that.

But it's also a very exclusive club.

The most difficult part of getting into a top MBA program like Wharton is having the right work experience, standardized test scores, undergraduate GPA, essays, interview skills, extracurriculars, letters of recommendations, etc.
thebogledude

Post by thebogledude »

MP173 wrote:bogledude:

Which class did you sign up for? Can you give us a weekly update as to how this class works out for you? I am really interested in this, but not if it is too much to handle.

My son is off to college and we are now empty nesters and looking for something to do.

Ed
MP173, Introduction to Financial Accounting.