Android Tablet

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
0cean23

Android Tablet

Post by 0cean23 »

I've only used Apple products in the past and now I would like to start using Android products. I have no clue on which tablet to choose from since there so many choices. Which Android Tablet do you recommend? I would prefer to have their latest OS, model and smaller screen size similar to an iPad mini.

Between the Samsung and Google Nexus 7 inch tablets, which one is better?

Does Samsung tablet include their own software ontop of the Android OS system?
goodbishop

Re: Android Tablet

Post by goodbishop »

Definitely go with the new Nexus 7. It will always have the latest OS from Google quickly. Plus I believe the new Nexus 7 has better specs.

In this situation, it is better to go with the stock android experience rather than a custom one.
Ged

Post by Ged »

I chose the Nexus 7 based on superior screen.

Here's an article comparing the two:

http://www.gizmag.com/galaxy-tab-3-vs-n ... 013/28479/
mudfud

Post by mudfud »

I'm typing this on a Nexus 7. It's a fantastic tablet. I also use a Nexus 4 with the stock Android OS so no learning curve.
"Are you sure you have tested an a priori hypothesis?" | | Image
matjen

Post by matjen »

Nexus 7 is the way to go. I have the first one and have been very happy.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
chaz

Post by chaz »

I only use an iPad.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
0cean23

Post by 0cean23 »

Thank you for the link with the comparison between the nexus and Samsung tablet. That was very helpful.

As for Androids latest OS, jelly bean, do I need an app like advance task killer to kill apps running inmate background? My impression with android devices is that the battery doesn't last too long and kill all the apps running in the background helps improve the battery. Is this true?
Topic Author
0cean23

Post by 0cean23 »

Also is the Google Nexus 7 tablet made by Asus?
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

We have a Nexus 10 and the new Nexus 7 and as an iPod Touch owner am I ever glad to be out from under Apple's monopoly on excellent tablets. The Nexus 7, made indeed by Asus, is terrific, and I'm particularly enjoying reading books on it.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

The Asus Transformer Infinity with detachable keyboard is quite excellent and versatile.
10" touchscreen and hi-rez display.
Using it now while traveling...
Attempted new signature...
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

0cean23 wrote:Thank you for the link with the comparison between the nexus and Samsung tablet. That was very helpful.

As for Androids latest OS, jelly bean, do I need an app like advance task killer to kill apps running inmate background? My impression with android devices is that the battery doesn't last too long and kill all the apps running in the background helps improve the battery. Is this true?
Batteries (two) last at least 8 hours on my Transformer, so I don't worry any background apps.
Sometimes I detach and charge the keyboard battery while continuing to use it as a pure tablet...
BOW

Post by BOW »

I have to second the vote for the Asus Transformer. I accidentally splashed a very small amount of water on mine which killed the touch function. :oops: But, with the tablet attached to the keyboard it has about 95 percent functionality. Haven't been able to figure how to zoom in Google Maps though. :annoyed I use it mainly while traveling, the performance is fine and the battery life is great with the second battery in the keyboard. I guess it is technically a Netbook now but if it were a plain tablet it would be totally non functional after my goof.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

BOW wrote:I have to second the vote for the Asus Transformer. I accidentally splashed a very small amount of water on mine which killed the touch function. :oops: But, with the tablet attached to the keyboard it has about 95 percent functionality. Haven't been able to figure how to zoom in Google Maps though. :annoyed I use it mainly while traveling, the performance is fine and the battery life is great with the second battery in the keyboard. I guess it is technically a Netbook now but if it were a plain tablet it would be totally non functional after my goof.
Dry the water off with a cloth and it should be fine; the screen is a sheet of impervious glass so that's puzzling...
VoM

Post by VoM »

Samsung definitely.
matjen

Post by matjen »

0cean23 wrote:Thank you for the link with the comparison between the nexus and Samsung tablet. That was very helpful.

No. Battery drain and such was an Android problem a couple years back and really was a phone issue. No problems now. Nexus 7 will last days without a charge. It has had universally great reviews.
FedGuy

Post by FedGuy »

0cean23 wrote:As for Androids latest OS, jelly bean, do I need an app like advance task killer to kill apps running inmate background? My impression with android devices is that the battery doesn't last too long and kill all the apps running in the background helps improve the battery. Is this true?
I'm far from an expert on the technological aspects, so this falls squarely within the "just telling you what I heard" category, but a number of people say that you should never use a task killer with Android. While I agree that having apps continuing to run after you've exited them is both a waste of battery life and annoying, apparently Android needs to use pieces of various inactive apps for whatever reason, and if you go around closing them it's supposed to mess things up. Again, I don't really understand it and I don't know enough to agree or disagree, but that's what I've heard.
HoosierJim

Post by HoosierJim »

You should give the Windows tablet a look

If you only browse the web and use email any tablet will do.

If you are heavily tied into in the windows platform at work (i.e. Excel, Word, PP, VS) you should consider the Windows tablet and Windows phone. Some of the benefits I've seen are
- usb port
- hdmi port to plug into large monitor (i mistakenly said usb yesterday)
- Nice cover/keyboard that magnetically attaches
- keyboard is easy to type on - even if you are laying on the couch.
- Windows 8 and desktop mode
- Blue tooth for full size keyboard and mouse
- kickstand - memory card
- Writing / markup w/stylus over windows apps
- Auto sync between desktop, laptop, and phone -

I see lots of people with Windows at work, Windows on machines at home, ipad tablets and android phones - talk about an impedance match!

So if you do a large percent of your office/home work in Windows and need something that will work in the office, home, airport and the couch - take a look.

SurfaceRT - price $349 -
Last edited by HoosierJim on Fri Sep 13, 2013 5:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
matjen

Post by matjen »

HoosierJim wrote:You should give the Windows tablet a look

If you are heavily tied into in the windows platform at work (i.e. Excel, Word, PP, VS) you should consider the Windows tablet and Windows phone. Some of the benefits I've seen are
- USB port to plug into large monitor

I see lots of people with Windows at work, Windows on machines at home, ipad tablets and android phones - talk about an impedance match!

So if you do a large percent of your office/home work in Windows and need something that will work in the office, home, airport and the couch - take a look.

SurfaceRT - price $349 -
I work in a Microsoft-centric environment and there are a few SurfaceRT's used by colleagues. HoosierJim has done a good job of listing the advantages. Office,USB, and memory card expansion are the real big ones in my mind. If, by chance, your company uses Microsoft Lync for its voice then the SurfaceRT can also serve as a voip device to join conference calls and the like while travelling.
pochax

Post by pochax »

0cean23 wrote:Also is the Google Nexus 7 tablet made by Asus?
Yes it is made by Asus but branded and made to Google's specifications. Asus has its own line of Android tablets like the MemoPad (no keyboard attachments) and Transformer series (able to add keyboard) which are also quite good and allow for expandable memory (SDHC) but having had a transformer and nexus 7, i think the nexus 7 runs smoother and has fewer bugs.
marc in merrimack

Post by marc in merrimack »

matjen wrote:

No. Battery drain and such was an Android problem a couple years back and really was a phone issue. No problems now. Nexus 7 will last days without a charge. It has had universally great reviews.
Universally great reviews? There have been numerous user complaints about GPS and touch screen issues with the Nexus 7. FWIW, Consumer Reports has advised prospective buyers to hold off until Google provides solid fixes for these problems.
modal

Post by modal »

I'd go for the Nexus 7 (2013 edition).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nexus_7_%282013_version%29

Nexus 7 (2013) ==> High Resolution Screen
Galaxy Tab 7 3.0 ==> Native External SD card Support (You can use OTG usb support on the Nexus, but it is an extra dongle hanging off the device)
Ged

Post by Ged »

marcwd wrote: Universally great reviews? There have been numerous user complaints about GPS and touch screen issues with the Nexus 7. FWIW, Consumer Reports has advised prospective buyers to hold off until Google provides solid fixes for these problems.
There has been a patch released for these issues. The GPS problem is pretty clearly fixed. Some people are still claiming they have touch issues, but most seem to think it's been fixed.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7241/nexu ... uch-issues
Toons

Post by Toons »

I Own both the Galaxy 10.1 tablet(1st verision)and the Nexus 7 tablet.I find myself using the Nexus 95% of the time,smooth operating system,compact,Google Now feature is powerful,just a few reasons why.If I had to purchase 2 tablets tomorrow,Nexus 7 and Nexus 10 :happy

Check the reviews @Amazon ,Nexus 7 number 3 seller after Kindles

http://www.amazon.com/Google-Nexus-Tabl ... Descending
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
oakfan52

Post by oakfan52 »

matjen wrote:
HoosierJim wrote:You should give the Windows tablet a look

- USB port to plug into large monitor

SurfaceRT - price $349 -
I work in a Microsoft-centric environment and there are a few SurfaceRT's used by colleagues. HoosierJim has done a good job of listing the advantages. Office,USB, and memory card expansion are the real big ones in my mind. If, by chance, your company uses Microsoft Lync for its voice then the SurfaceRT can also serve as a voip device to join conference calls and the like while travelling.

I can tell you the single greatest thing about the Surface is the mouse. If you use a tablet for anything more than touch driven apps you love it. Using the office, email, etc for anything serious is still hard without a mouse. I had an android tablet before my RT and the only thing I'd trade my RT in for would be a surface pro.
taurabora

Post by taurabora »

If it were me, I would wait until the Nexus 10 refresh.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

I really like my Nexus 7(2012). I use a $12 Bluetooth dongle to transfer files back and forth to my laptop. OTG works OK also.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

taurabora wrote:If it were me, I would wait until the Nexus 10 refresh.
I was about ask everyone if they thought the 10 was a better way to go than the 7. Seems like the extra screen area would be a huge benefit (at least for those of us with lousy near vision 8-) )
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

JupiterJones wrote:
I was about ask everyone if they thought the 10 was a better way to go than the 7. Seems like the extra screen area would be a huge benefit (at least for those of us with lousy near vision 8-) )
When I look at my Kindle Fire (7 inch original) in landscape mode, there is a lot of lost real estate when browsing the web. The tabs are fat ones too. When viewing Bogleheads, for instance, a few responses on this thread are visible at a lime (landscape mode) but the font is pretty small. Depends a lot on your eyesight and preferences. The measured lit up reading area is only 2 5/8 inches high! One can tilt the screen to portrait mode to see more lines but then the font gets incredibly small.

I noticed that the Ipad Mini has a non-HD aspect ratio. This is an advantage for reading landscape mode info on the web (again, more verticle height) and typing by the way is better in landscape mode. I guess it is not as good for viewing videos which I won't be doing much on a tablet.

So my thought is that one should go with an 8 inch diagonal screen (Samsung Galaxy 3 8.0, Ipad Mini) or larger. I have to take a look at the Nexus 7 but wonder if there is enough screen in landscape mode for web browsing without using very small fonts. I guess I'll have to check these things out again in-store. Personally I decided to wait until maybe Mid-October in case a new got-to-have tablet is introduced.

User comments appreciated.
DualIncomeNoDebt

Post by DualIncomeNoDebt »

I know you asked about Android. I've used both Android and IOS Ipad tablets. Greatly prefer Apple's iPad, just a better user experience with the software, better screen, better build quality. Also, IOS 7 will be released in a week or two.

If you do go with Android, beware some of the manufacturers, because their support can be horrible (both tablets and Android phones). They release an android tablet or phone, then refuse to do any bug fixes or Android updates. They also load the product with bloatware. http://www.androidcentral.com/why-you-l ... on-android.

Thus the Nexus line of Google products may be the way to go, since Android developer Google also is releasing the hardware (just like Apple). I have experienced Android failures firsthand, it is very frustrating when these Android manufacturers like Samsung and LG abandon products. It's another reason I am in the OSX-IOS environment, when Apple releases updates and fixes, everyone gets them the same day, period.
ieee488

Post by ieee488 »

DualIncomeNoDebt wrote:It's another reason I am in the OSX-IOS environment, when Apple releases updates and fixes, everyone gets them the same day, period.
Except when Apple decides to no longer offer updates for a certain model.
That happend with an iPhone 3G I had bought used.
Let's not pretend Apple is all good.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

My only experience with Apple is trying to get an old Nano to work with the iTunes lib. They stopped support. My guess is the tablet's won't matter as much just because one would not want a current product 5 years from now -- the tech is moving too fast in the tablet world.
mojorisin

Post by mojorisin »

I have a Surface RT, Surface PRO, and iPad. Of the 3, I use the Surface PRO 99% of the time. I use the RT if I need extra battery life. The iPad is pretty much for consuming only, you cannot get any real work done so I gave it to the kids for playing games.

The PRO is awesome, runs full version of Windows 8 but with all the benefits of a Tablet. Highly recommend sticking with MS.
goodbishop

Post by goodbishop »

No. Initially this was the case, but nowadays you do not need ATK, and it actually can cause more problems then it solves.
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I was also wondering about the 10 inch vs. 7 inch tablet. Is the 10 that much of a hinderance in daily usage?
bru

Post by bru »

And expect to pay $400 or more. Not saying it won't be worth it but my philosophy with tablets was to find something relatively inexpensive with performance that met my needs.

The Nook HD/HD+ which is being cleared out by B&N and many other retailers is what we went with. I wanted a larger tablet and the 9" HD+ had the highest resoluton of any tablet at the time of purchase. I paid $150 for a 32GB and we got the 7" HD 8GB for my wife for a net cost of $29 after Gift Card. Pretty good pricing. And two excellent tablets. They are easily rooted, modded and the ROM can be changed. We didn't even bother with that and run the stock OS with some minor tweaks. They do everything that most use a tablet for, surf the web, watch videos, read books and magazines. All with a stunning display.

There are many excellent Android tabs with more coming (it seems) every day. Hisense makes a great 7" tablet that just had it's price lowered to $129. It's available at Walmart. It's comparable to the 1st gen Nexus 7 and has a microSD slot.

As for the Nexus I agree it is a good choice and the new one has even already been discounted to $199 for the 16GB (SRP $229). So by BF it could be even lower. Knowing it will be kept up to date isn't really that important IMO. Older Android OS's 4.0 (ICS) and 4.1 will be just fine for most. With so many good choices I wouldn't limit my search to just the Nexus.
hlfo718

Post by hlfo718 »

One thing I don't like about the iPad is the weight. Is a bit heavy to hold for more than half an hour reading or surfing. Thought about getting the Nexus 10 but a bit too pricey for me at $399.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

hlfo718 wrote:One thing I don't like about the iPad is the weight. Is a bit heavy to hold for more than half an hour reading or surfing...
That's the nice thing about this here Transformer Infinity with attached keypad. When I'm NOT typing, I angle it for proper viewing using the keypad as a base, depending on how I'm sitting or reclining...
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

The Ipad is 1.44 pounds. The Ipad Mini and Nexus 7 are 0.7 pounds. I find my older Kindle Fire (1 pound?) to be a bit heavy and for extended use tend to put a book in my lap to angle my Kindle for reading without holding it -- not the most convenient but works at home.
SpringMan

Post by SpringMan »

bru wrote: And expect to pay $400 or more. Not saying it won't be worth it but my philosophy with tablets was to find something relatively inexpensive with performance that met my needs.

The Nook HD/HD+ which is being cleared out by B&N and many other retailers is what we went with. I wanted a larger tablet and the 9" HD+ had the highest resoluton of any tablet at the time of purchase. I paid $150 for a 32GB and we got the 7" HD 8GB for my wife for a net cost of $29 after Gift Card. Pretty good pricing. And two excellent tablets. They are easily rooted, modded and the ROM can be changed. We didn't even bother with that and run the stock OS with some minor tweaks. They do everything that most use a tablet for, surf the web, watch videos, read books and magazines. All with a stunning display.

There are many excellent Android tabs with more coming (it seems) every day. Hisense makes a great 7" tablet that just had it's price lowered to $129. It's available at Walmart. It's comparable to the 1st gen Nexus 7 and has a microSD slot.

As for the Nexus I agree it is a good choice and the new one has even already been discounted to $199 for the 16GB (SRP $229). So by BF it could be even lower. Knowing it will be kept up to date isn't really that important IMO. Older Android OS's 4.0 (ICS) and 4.1 will be just fine for most. With so many good choices I wouldn't limit my search to just the Nexus.
+1. Another happy Nook HD+ user here. It has a great 9" display, good battery life, only downside is no camera. If a camera is important to you, don't go with nook. I own an iPod touch and wife owns an iPad. I use APL ios platform and itunes for music. Tested music on the Android device (nook HD+) and it works good but had some difficulties surrounding album art. Album art was also showing up in my picture folders. Movies work great on the nook HD+. Nook HD+ has access to Google play and is expandable with a MicroSD slot..
Best Wishes, SpringMan
Jeanz

Post by Jeanz »

SpringMan wrote:[
+1. Another happy Nook HD+ user here.
Nook HD for me. It lets me load apps from Google Play, lets me create separate limited accounts for grandchildren, and fits in my purse. It still surprises me that so many businesses offer free Wi-Fi, but I'm happy to use it.
wesgreen

Post by wesgreen »

As bru said, Hisense sero 7 Pro. Check the reviews.
BlueEars

Post by BlueEars »

I was in Best Buy today and compared the 8 inch Samsung, Ipad Mini, and the Nexus 7. Overall I was very impressed with the Nexus 7 and will probably buy it for myself and another for a family member.

When I did the compare, I brought up Bogleheads on each tablet and looked at the same thread. I'll be doing a fair amount of web surfing with it when not on my big screen PC. The Nexus 7 reviews seemed to fairly accurately describe its feature set but there is nothing like trying it out.
Cash

Post by Cash »

I bought a Nexus 7 about a week ago and am typing on it now. We also have iPhones and an iPad. I was initially going to get an iPad Mini, but after reading the reviews and specs of the Nexus, I decided to go for it and am very happy. It's very fast and the display is killer. Its specs blow the iPad Mini out of the water... and for $100+ less! My biggest concern was Android, but now I think that's it's biggest benefit because I use so many of Google's other services, and Android integrates them very well. And it's much more customizable than iOS. That said, I do really like the new iOS 7. But I still would buy the Nexus 7. There is not really a better deal out there currently.

As for Samsung, the reviews I've read say that Nexus is better. Some people recommend waiting for the new Kindle Fire release, but then you will have to deal with Amazon's version of Android.