Why do you work?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
boggler
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 am

Why do you work?

Postby boggler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:56 am

For those of you who already have enough to live your life, why do you go into work every day? What keeps you motivated, especially when you have a frustrating day at work or have to do something you don't want to do?

Why not spend the time volunteering, traveling, or at home with family? It seems like this is what all of us actually want as humans, anyway, right?

User avatar
cflannagan
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida

Re: Why do you work?

Postby cflannagan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:31 am

boggler wrote:For those of you who already have enough to live your life, why do you go into work every day? What keeps you motivated, especially when you have a frustrating day at work or have to do something you don't want to do?

Why not spend the time volunteering, traveling, or at home with family? It seems like this is what all of us actually want as humans, anyway, right?


I'm not there yet, but I intend to work as long as possible and try to leave a legacy behind for my children and our future grandchildren.

livesoft
Posts: 40229
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby livesoft » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:54 am

My work involves traveling to teach motivated students. It's like getting paid to volunteer for all-expenses paid trips to Hawaii, New Zealand, Europe, South Africa, NY, Chicago, Japan, etc. I cannot post the thank you letters I get from students, but those keep you going.

It's a good question though to ask lots of folks. For example, all those politicians, actors, CEOs, financial book authors & blog writers, and many other wealthy folks: Why are they still working? What motivates them? I imagine work for them is fun and like a hobby. They have lots of control over their lives and are not told what to do.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

User avatar
InvestorNewb
Posts: 1232
Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:27 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby InvestorNewb » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:08 am

I think it also comes down to the fact that everyone wants more. It doesn't matter how much you have in your bank account... the number never seems to be enough.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCE [Canada] (largest to smallest)

Grt2bOutdoors
Posts: 12715
Joined: Thu Apr 05, 2007 8:20 pm
Location: New York

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Grt2bOutdoors » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:55 am

InvestorNewb wrote:I think it also comes down to the fact that everyone wants more. It doesn't matter how much you have in your bank account... the number never seems to be enough.


This ^. I am not in their league, may not ever be, however, those of my colleagues who are very wealthy continue to work to have a purpose in life and accumulate more. I will say this - a number of them are totally out of touch with ordinary folk struggling to make it week to week.
"Luck is not a strategy" Asking Portfolio Questions

FinanceGeek
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby FinanceGeek » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:10 am

Wish I could give you some noble minded answer, but here's the truth - access to group health insurance.

cjking
Posts: 1582
Joined: Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:30 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby cjking » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:21 am

Because they keep asking me back (after every time I leave) and I can't think of a alternative mission.

I thought synthetic biology might be in interesting hobby/interest, but couldn't work out how/where to get started. Probably doesn't help that I have no particular objective in mind.

fsrph
Posts: 690
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:54 pm
Location: Pa.

Re: Why do you work?

Postby fsrph » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:27 am

boggler wrote:For those of you who already have enough to live your life, why do you go into work every day? What keeps you motivated, especially when you have a frustrating day at work or have to do something you don't want to do?

Why not spend the time volunteering, traveling, or at home with family? It seems like this is what all of us actually want as humans, anyway, right?


I still work because (in no particular order):

1. Most times I enjoy it.
2. My work hours fit in well with my personal life.
3. To maintain structure in my life (i.e. not to get lazy).
4. I never have problems getting time off.
5. Healthcare insurance is a wild card. If I retire now (in in my early 50's), what wil I be paying for health insurance in 5 or 10 years?

However, if any of these significantly changes it is priceless to know I can stop working.

Francis
“Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.” ― Warren Buffett

ClevrChico
Posts: 385
Joined: Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:24 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby ClevrChico » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:26 am

I'm an outlier, but I'm working to hit my number, then ER. I plan on spending more time with family, friends, and doing what I want to do.

I'll probably ease into it with PT work. After 20+ years of on call and lots of weekend work, I'm sure I'll be ready.

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby pennstater2005 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 10:56 am

Pretty much exactly as Francis said above me.

User avatar
steve roy
Posts: 1115
Joined: Thu May 13, 2010 5:16 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby steve roy » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:10 am

I've always been sort of a workaholic. I also tend to ride whatever jobs I have into the ground (i.e., I'm there until they throw me into the street. This has only NOT happened twice: the Navy and a horrid private school where I taught for a year.)

I'm now in my sixties and have a job I like fine. I was planning to exit at 65, but due to a son who is lolly-gagging through college, I am going to hang in for three more years. After that, I will -- along with the Mrs. -- hook up and bail out. There's more to life than sitting in an office five days a week, even when that office is pleasant.

chaz
Posts: 13564
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby chaz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:26 am

I worked because I enjoyed it. But I am enjoying retirement.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

boggler
Posts: 595
Joined: Thu Feb 07, 2013 2:29 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby boggler » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:52 am

chaz wrote:I worked because I enjoyed it. But I am enjoying retirement.


Surely there were bad days. What kept you going then? Why didn't you quit immediately?

User avatar
pennstater2005
Posts: 1646
Joined: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:50 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby pennstater2005 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:58 am

boggler wrote:
chaz wrote:I worked because I enjoyed it. But I am enjoying retirement.


Surely there were bad days. What kept you going then? Why didn't you quit immediately?


I would think because unless you're near retirement and have saved enough you may not have much of a choice. I have good days and bad days but am only 34 so I can't quit. But I save aggressively as I can and will hopefully have that option of retiring somewhat early and not working at that point because I have to.

The Wizard
Posts: 7789
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:45 pm
Location: Reading, MA

Re: Why do you work?

Postby The Wizard » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:04 pm

boggler wrote:
chaz wrote:I worked because I enjoyed it. But I am enjoying retirement.


Surely there were bad days. What kept you going then? Why didn't you quit immediately?

Speaking for myself, not Chaz, there's something that happens once your finances are good enough to retire but you still "enjoy" your job much of the time.
What happens (to me anyway) is that the bar starts to raise bit by bit. The 50-day moving average of job enjoyment starts to be an issue. Once things get dull for awhile, then BAM, it's time to give my 4-weeks notice...
Attempted new signature...

User avatar
cflannagan
Posts: 948
Joined: Sun Oct 21, 2007 11:44 am
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida

Re: Why do you work?

Postby cflannagan » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:07 pm

boggler wrote:
chaz wrote:I worked because I enjoyed it. But I am enjoying retirement.


Surely there were bad days. What kept you going then? Why didn't you quit immediately?


Because that would be far too easy to do.

You feel better about yourself if you get past challenges your life throw at you. Try it sometimes.

chaz
Posts: 13564
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:44 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby chaz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:42 pm

boggler wrote:
chaz wrote:I worked because I enjoyed it. But I am enjoying retirement.


Surely there were bad days. What kept you going then? Why didn't you quit immediately?

There were very few bad days, so I never wanted to quit. But one day I noticed that I was old enough to retire, so I retired at age 74.
Chaz | | | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

Saving$
Posts: 1050
Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:33 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Saving$ » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:09 pm

The Wizard wrote:Speaking for myself, not Chaz, there's something that happens once your finances are good enough to retire but you still "enjoy" your job much of the time.
What happens (to me anyway) is that the bar starts to raise bit by bit. The 50-day moving average of job enjoyment starts to be an issue. ..


This and what Frances said, except for the part of about good hours and time off when wanted - those I don't have - I have the vacation hours, but the backup after returning from a vacation makes the vacation almost not worth it.... I like my job, but wish I could do less of it. Not really an option now because of health insurance. Really looking forward to the options I hope the ACA will bring...

MIGIHIDARI
Posts: 59
Joined: Sun Apr 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby MIGIHIDARI » Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:40 pm

Was going to retire at 65. Got a chance to work in Japan. It has been exciting to live here. Want to enjoy retirement now. Will retire in a couple of years!
Money has also been the reason to work longer.

MP173
Posts: 1572
Joined: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:03 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby MP173 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 12:47 pm

I could probably retire, but what would I do? My health insurance is on my wife's plan. We are both in late 50's and she is not happy with her work. I tell her to either find a more satisfying job or retire, but she needs it for self identification. That is probably true for me also.

My career is very satisfying and I could see another 8-10 years, unless there are changes which make it more of a burden to work or they make me an offer I cannot refuse (doubt that will occur).

ed

jwa
Posts: 198
Joined: Sat Aug 04, 2012 3:53 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby jwa » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:15 pm

Why do I work? humm... good question.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 14332
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Why do you work?

Postby VictoriaF » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:32 pm

For those who already have enough, working is a status quo bias.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

KyleAAA
Posts: 5658
Joined: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:35 pm
Contact:

Re: Why do you work?

Postby KyleAAA » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:43 pm

I didn't "work" for somebody else for three months. It was the most boring 3 months of my life, and I did all the typical travel/etc stuff. I like working. Retirement is not for me, but part-term work probably is.

User avatar
BHCadet
Posts: 386
Joined: Sun Jan 15, 2012 12:47 am
Location: Southern California

Re: Why do you work?

Postby BHCadet » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:40 pm

You're right.
There is no need.
I've a date for my retirement already.

gd
Posts: 787
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

Re: Why do you work?

Postby gd » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:38 am

I have had a normal career job, a full and part-time hobby job, and been retired, not in that order. I've found it to be a personal decision, dependent on your personality and personal circumstances which change over time. I will make only two specific comments-- with reference to a recent thread about regrets about being frugal early in life-- I was frugal, found it made life more interesting not less, and is the reason my work decisions were never based on finances. Second, if I didn't have a spouse who likes to be employed and gets health insurance, and didn't live in MA, that would probably have been the determining factor up to now (I'm in excellent health).

Andyrunner
Posts: 422
Joined: Thu May 03, 2012 9:14 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Andyrunner » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:58 am

livesoft wrote:It's a good question though to ask lots of folks. For example, all those politicians, actors, CEOs, financial book authors & blog writers, and many other wealthy folks: Why are they still working? What motivates them? I imagine work for them is fun and like a hobby. They have lots of control over their lives and are not told what to do.


I remember listening to a presentation at my old company by the CFO (this was a fortune 50 company) basically he stated he enjoyed doing what he does and he didnt need the money. Of course he made millions each year while people were constantly getting laid off.

On top of the fun/hobby thing...I bet its a power thing too.

User avatar
kramer
Posts: 1381
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 2:28 am
Location: Philippines

Re: Why do you work?

Postby kramer » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:10 am

I find wealthy Americans very generous. In fact, I would hazard a guess that over half of all individual wealth over a billion dollars will be given away for the common good -- and better yet, allocated to good projects by smart people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. And this is not even counting the fact that millions of people were getting benefits from the life work of these people in business, even if they decided to never give anything away. Finally, most of the wealthy are paying huge amounts of taxes.

Personally, I chose not to work any more when I had earned enough and retired early. But I appreciate and respect those that choose to continue working, whatever their motives. And I think talented people are far more valuable in the work sector than doing things like volunteering their time.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 2623
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Ged » Wed Sep 04, 2013 9:25 am

Well, I was enjoying my job until the company I worked for started imploding. Now I'm just finishing up a project. Unless something drastic happens I'll be retired in the next month or two.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 14332
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Why do you work?

Postby VictoriaF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:05 am

kramer wrote:I find wealthy Americans very generous. In fact, I would hazard a guess that over half of all individual wealth over a billion dollars will be given away for the common good -- and better yet, allocated to good projects by smart people like Bill Gates and Warren Buffett. And this is not even counting the fact that millions of people were getting benefits from the life work of these people in business, even if they decided to never give anything away. Finally, most of the wealthy are paying huge amounts of taxes.

Personally, I chose not to work any more when I had earned enough and retired early. But I appreciate and respect those that choose to continue working, whatever their motives. And I think talented people are far more valuable in the work sector than doing things like volunteering their time.


Talented people are valuable in the work sector when they apply their talents to their work. This is certainly true for Bill Gates and Warren Buffett but not for many others.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Mike Scott
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Mike Scott » Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:17 am

"Wish I could give you some noble minded answer, but here's the truth - access to group health insurance."

more and more this one...

bungalow10
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby bungalow10 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:22 am

Andyrunner wrote:..I bet its a power thing too.


You are probably correct.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

FinanceGeek
Posts: 785
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby FinanceGeek » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:23 am

Mike Scott wrote:"Wish I could give you some noble minded answer, but here's the truth - access to group health insurance."

more and more this one...


Countdown until pre-existing conditions are no longer a reason to wok - 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days

Not that I'm counting :beer

hicabob
Posts: 2068
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Why do you work?

Postby hicabob » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:36 am

FinanceGeek wrote:
Mike Scott wrote:"Wish I could give you some noble minded answer, but here's the truth - access to group health insurance."

more and more this one...


Countdown until pre-existing conditions are no longer a reason to wok - 3 months, 3 weeks, 3 days

Not that I'm counting :beer

I would think over the long term this impending change would have to be good for the US economy in that it gives people freedom to change jobs, start their own biz, retire early enabling others to replace them, etc.

User avatar
wilpat
Posts: 526
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 7:30 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby wilpat » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:16 pm

I worked in the telephone industry for 58 years. (Part time at the start and at the end) 30 years at the telephone company, 20 years manufacturing equipment for the telephone industry and 8 years doing consulting for them.

I am now retired (for health reasons) but wish I were still working. I cannot think of a dozen days when I didn't wake up looking forward to going to work.
I can't say the same about retirement. :(
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!

User avatar
ejvyas
Posts: 678
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:09 am
Location: Boston, MA

Re: Why do you work?

Postby ejvyas » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:18 pm

I love to work

Professor Emeritus
Posts: 2628
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 6:43 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Professor Emeritus » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:25 pm

livesoft wrote:My work involves traveling to teach motivated students. It's like getting paid to volunteer for all-expenses paid trips to Hawaii, New Zealand, Europe, South Africa, NY, Chicago, Japan, etc. I cannot post the thank you letters I get from students, but those keep you going.



My dad finished the 4th edition of his book two weeks before he died at the age of 87. I love the teaching and research and hate the grant writing and administration. My professional work in the past two years took me to similar places.
Last edited by Professor Emeritus on Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 14332
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Why do you work?

Postby VictoriaF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:30 pm

The Death Clock is of great help for deciding to retire.

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

Random Poster
Posts: 1145
Joined: Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:17 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Random Poster » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:47 pm

VictoriaF wrote:The Death Clock is of great help for deciding to retire.


Seems a bit dubious.

It can't even give me the same personal day of death date twice!

bungalow10
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby bungalow10 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:50 pm

Random Poster wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:The Death Clock is of great help for deciding to retire.


Seems a bit dubious.

It can't even give me the same personal day of death date twice!


Maybe browsing BH is impacting your lifespan ??
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

hicabob
Posts: 2068
Joined: Fri May 27, 2011 5:35 pm
Location: cruz

Re: Why do you work?

Postby hicabob » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm

VictoriaF wrote:The Death Clock is of great help for deciding to retire.

Victoria



Urrf - I was planning for a bit longer

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 14332
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Why do you work?

Postby VictoriaF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:52 pm

bungalow10 wrote:
Random Poster wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:The Death Clock is of great help for deciding to retire.


Seems a bit dubious.

It can't even give me the same personal day of death date twice!


Maybe browsing BH is impacting your lifespan ??


I was going to use The Death Clock for planning my distribution phase. Are you saying that visiting the Bogleheads will throw my calculations off?

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

placeholder
Posts: 3950
Joined: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:43 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby placeholder » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:39 pm

VictoriaF wrote:I was going to use The Death Clock for planning my distribution phase. Are you saying that visiting the Bogleheads will throw my calculations off?a

You never know what might happen: http://nonadventures.com/2013/07/13/curtain-death/

User avatar
VictoriaF
Posts: 14332
Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:27 am
Location: Black Swan Lake

Re: Why do you work?

Postby VictoriaF » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:49 pm

placeholder wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:I was going to use The Death Clock for planning my distribution phase. Are you saying that visiting the Bogleheads will throw my calculations off?a

You never know what might happen: http://nonadventures.com/2013/07/13/curtain-death/


This gives a new meaning to a "curtain call."

Victoria
Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

User avatar
max12377
Posts: 128
Joined: Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:02 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby max12377 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:55 pm

I think I just like the idea of being able to walk away & be OK. I don't want to walk away because I usually like what I do & enjoy the people I work with at the moment. But there is less stress when the going gets tough if I know I have that card in my back pocket and can play it if necessary. (I don't have the card just yet though :greedy )

MathWizard
Posts: 1837
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby MathWizard » Wed Sep 04, 2013 4:02 pm

VictoriaF wrote:The Death Clock is of great help for deciding to retire.

Victoria


Boy is that a downer!

User avatar
Kulak
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:46 pm
Location: Fin-de-siècle Anglo-America

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Kulak » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:00 am

FinanceGeek wrote:Wish I could give you some noble minded answer, but here's the truth - access to group health insurance.

For someone without an expensive pre-existing condition, is there a reason catastrophic (say $10K deductible) health insurance isn't as viable an option as it seems? I haven't looked into it much because I've always had employer-paid coverage, but I assumed that I could go that route if I quit working.
Depriving ourselves to boost our 40-year success probability much beyond 80% is a fool’s errand, since all you are doing is increasing the probability of failure for [non-financial] reasons. --wbern

bungalow10
Posts: 1965
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:28 am

Re: Why do you work?

Postby bungalow10 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:10 am

Kulak wrote:
FinanceGeek wrote:Wish I could give you some noble minded answer, but here's the truth - access to group health insurance.

For someone without an expensive pre-existing condition, is there a reason catastrophic (say $10K deductible) health insurance isn't as viable an option as it seems? I haven't looked into it much because I've always had employer-paid coverage, but I assumed that I could go that route if I quit working.


Because you never know when you would get diagnosed with something or have an accident and get dropped?

A friend who owns a small business had an MRI done, in which nothing was found to be wrong (he had pain in his side that they thought later might have been a mild hernia), and the next time his insurance was up for renewal he was dropped.
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

Mike Scott
Posts: 326
Joined: Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:45 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Mike Scott » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:15 am

My "walk out" point comes at about age 55 on my current projection. I may or may not walk but I look forward to having that choice.

User avatar
Kulak
Posts: 221
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:46 pm
Location: Fin-de-siècle Anglo-America

Re: Why do you work?

Postby Kulak » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:48 am

bungalow10 wrote:A friend who owns a small business had an MRI done, in which nothing was found to be wrong (he had pain in his side that they thought later might have been a mild hernia), and the next time his insurance was up for renewal he was dropped.

Is that typical? Is he uninsurable for life now? Seems incredible but, as I said, I haven't looked into it.
Depriving ourselves to boost our 40-year success probability much beyond 80% is a fool’s errand, since all you are doing is increasing the probability of failure for [non-financial] reasons. --wbern

User avatar
cinghiale
Posts: 855
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:37 pm

Re: Why do you work?

Postby cinghiale » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:20 pm

Per Victoria's first post on this thread, not only is there "status quo bias" but there is also Status Anxiety. Anyone thinking over retirement but cognizant of the work-identity link owes him/herself a careful reading of Alain de Botton's splendid book by the same title. It provides great perspective on our need to "place ourselves" vis-a-vis our colleagues, neighbors, friends, family, and associates. Most definitely worth a read.
-- Cinghiale | | "We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin


Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 12 guests