How do you "rent" movies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Re: How do you "rent" movies?

Postby abuss368 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

For us it is Netflix streaming and Redbox.

Hopefully some day soon it will all be streaming!
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby snowx800 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 am

Redbox $1.20 for new releases I used to rent from Blockbuster and pay over $4 dollars per movie
snowx800

Postby ddb » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:31 am

island wrote:Blockbuster is long gone, but it feels like I haven't watched a movie at home since that place existed. Well other than one on HBO or an ocassional download from our ATT Uverse connection which never seems to have much to choose from.

So was wondering what's your go to for getting movies, new releases to old classics?
Your cable/internet provider, Netflix, Red Box, or???

I'll never be one to watch a movie or program on my computer or phone, TV only. Please clue me in on the best options for that.

Thanks.

I use a mobile device (in my case, Nexus 4 or Nexus 10) to "stream" video to my television via Google Chromecast. The source material comes from either Netflix or Google Play.

- DDB
"We have to encourage a return to traditional moral values. Most importantly, we have to promote general social concern, and less materialism in young people." - PB
ddb

Postby ieee488 » Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:40 am

snowx800 wrote:Redbox $1.20 for new releases I used to rent from Blockbuster and pay over $4 dollars per movie

Have the offerings by Redbox changed?
A year ago I looked into them, but their offerings seem comprised of direct-to-DVD junk.
ieee488

Postby island » Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:07 pm

Wow, I'm so out of date on all the options. No idea libraries can often be a good source. Thanks for enlightening me. I'll check them out.
Last edited by island on Sat Aug 31, 2013 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
island

Postby bengal22 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 2:11 pm

I go to the library where they have most of the new releases or I watch the classics on TCM.
bengal22

Postby frugaltype » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:53 am

pennstater2005 wrote:
frugaltype wrote:Amazon instant video. Netflix has never worked properly for me.

Amazon instant video on demand as well. I love the option of renting a new release from the comfort of my couch. I have Netflix as well although it works fine for me. Did you try contacting Netflix to see if the glitch was on their end?

I did. I don't know if the Netflix person knew what they were talking about, but they said no buffering was being done. That would be consistent with the video and audio getting out of sync and the video freezing. In the same time frame, I watched various tv programs from their home websites and not had problems.
frugaltype

Postby frugaltype » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:56 am

island wrote:Wow, I'm so out of date on all the options. No idea libraries can often be a good source. Thanks for enlightening me. I'll check them out.

They have ebooks you can download while being comfy at home as well.
frugaltype

Postby Dan-Fl » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:13 am

Redbox, Library, and occasional stream from Verizon.
Netflix screwed themselves with me with their alteration of policies. I watched a lot of there movies over a 2-3 year period. I kinda burned out on movies after that period.
Dan
Dan-Fl

Postby minesweep » Sun Sep 01, 2013 12:02 pm

Library & Redbox

Mike
minesweep

Postby island » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:43 pm

frugaltype wrote:
island wrote:Wow, I'm so out of date on all the options. No idea libraries can often be a good source. Thanks for enlightening me. I'll check them out.

They have ebooks you can download while being comfy at home as well.

Thanks. I recently posted a thread about which eReader to choose and got a wealth of info including that the library and other sites are a good source for free reads which was great to know. viewtopic.php?f=11&t=120861
Everyone was so knowledgeable and helpful I figured you'd all be able to help me with this too.
Appreciate it.
island

Postby chaz » Sun Sep 01, 2013 3:13 pm

We just go to a movie theater.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby eharri3 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 6:07 pm

Blueray player has an internet connection and works through my WIFI. If I cannot find anything interesting on On Demand from my Cable Provider I download something from there.

We still go to theaters occasionally on date-night but lately I try to avoid it. Inevitably out of 30 people in a theater there will be AT LEAST one person who insists on talking loudly and they are usually behind me.
eharri3

Postby ieee488 » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:46 pm

eharri3 wrote:We still go to theaters occasionally on date-night but lately I try to avoid it. Inevitably out of 30 people in a theater there will be AT LEAST one person who insists on talking loudly and they are usually behind me.

one theater did something about it : http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50154125n
ieee488

Postby midareff » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:11 pm

My condo supplies 5 Showtime channels, IFC, 2 of The Movie Channels + a variety of other movie channels. For another $14.99 a month I receive a whole bunch of HBO and Cinemax channels. Netflix is $7.99 a month streamed to a 27" computer screen or our living room or bedroom TVs. We also catch the early bird at the mall's movie theatre @ $6.50 a ticket all day Tuesday or any other day before noon. We went out this morning and speed walked a couple of miles then saw The Butler at the theatre. Pretty good movie... puts a lot of history in perspective.
midareff

Postby Angst » Sun Sep 01, 2013 8:39 pm

I go to the library and get them for free.

I also go here and get public domain and CC open license films:
http://archive.org/

This is the last one I viewed. It's very good if you like animation, 1920's blues singers and Indian/Hindu folklore:
http://archive.org/details/Sita_Sings_the_Blues
Angst

Postby Onion » Thu Sep 05, 2013 8:17 pm

Amazon Prime and Redbox. They frequently have free codes for Redbox.
Onion

Postby Boglenaut » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:18 pm

Netflix
Library (Borrow, not rent)
Black Friday Specials for $2 (Buy, not rent)
Boglenaut

Postby fidelio » Thu Sep 05, 2013 9:53 pm

+1 netflix. using the blu-ray option is a bit of a luxury, but i have an extreme home theater rig and really enjoy the pic. and sound qual.
fidelio

Postby Barefootgirl » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:56 pm

I use Netflix streaming through my Roku..

I have not used Roku for anything else - any suggestions for free or nearly so?

Thanks, BFG
"The best you can do is set up like a baseball team does against an unknown hitter. That is spread the defense and wait for the ball to come to you." - pkcrafter
Barefootgirl

Postby MindBogler » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:03 pm

Redbox and some Amazon Prime.
MindBogler

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:43 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby Sam I Am » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:52 pm

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sam I Am

Postby dandan14 » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:50 pm

Roku is the best $50 you will spend. Pair that with $8/month or just rent the movies you want on Amazon. Most movies on Amazon are $4 with many less than that.

Roku doesn't require a computer and just plugs into your TV.
dandan14

Postby rixer » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:39 am

I use Netflix Streaming through my Sony Blu-Ray and Redbox for dvd rentals.
rixer

Postby BuckyBadger » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:06 am

Most of our movies/TV series are watched through Amazon Prime and Netflix streaming. We don't have Netflix disks any more.

Anything we're "renting" specially we get through Amazon. We are the sorts of people who like to re-watch movies, so anything we saw in the theater and know we want to watch again we buy on sale the Tuesday that it comes out. We probably buy one or two DVDs a month and rent one or two movies a month through Amazon. We also probably go to two movies a month in the theater. We'll go every weekend during blockbuster season.

I'm realizing after writing this down that we really like to watch movies!
BuckyBadger

Postby JupiterJones » Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:57 pm

Sam I Am wrote:I had been paying for streaming only, but I discovered the Game of Thrones series so I added DVDs for now.

Yup. Until Netflix streaming has Game of Thrones, it will not truly be complete. :-)
Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Postby BuckyBadger » Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:42 pm

We subscribe to HBO for three months every year just for GoT.
BuckyBadger

Postby Bob's not my name » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:06 pm

ejvyas wrote:Following preference:

1. Public Library - I put it on hold as soon as I see the ratings and hear good things about the movie. My library is affiliated to 36 public libraries around and they get movies as soon as they are on DVD/ BD.
2. Redbox - I have loads of free codes available + get 1-2 free per month from their SMS
3. Theatre - Sometimes I go to the theatre (1st show in the morning $6)
Hey, you're in Boston. Somerville Theater is $6 and they have beer on tap and the crowd is great and you've got the Museum of Bad Art in the basement. Why stay home?
Bob's not my name

Postby thebogledude » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:24 pm

I do the RedBox freebie once a month. Hulu to catch up on any cable shows since we cut the cord with cable.
I would say the public library is just as good as blockbuster or any video store.
thebogledude

Postby JupiterJones » Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:17 pm

thebogledude wrote:I would say the public library is just as good as blockbuster or any video store.

Better, really. Because public libraries still exist. :D
Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Postby jlawrence01 » Thu Sep 12, 2013 5:56 pm

joe8d wrote:Check out your local Public Library.DVD's and Blue Rays, new releases and classics, all free.

Same here.

Plenty of choices in English and Spanish.
jlawrence01

Postby davemartin88 » Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:51 pm

Netflix Blu-ray discs, 2 at a time service. We have a nice theatre so like the quality of the physical disc as we only have DSL Internet service for streaming. We have Amazon Prime so stream their movies sometimes when we just want a movie when we are multi-tasking. We're in a small town in WV but Netflix disc service is very fast. As an example, when we send back a movie on a Monday, a new one is here by Wednesday. When I get up in the morning on Tuesday, there is usually an email from Netflix to say the returned movie was already there, pretty impressive from my perspective. US Mail works well in this application.
davemartin88

Postby abuss368 » Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:50 pm

Yesterday we received an email from Red Box regarding a new service - Red Box Instant?

Interesting. Does anyone have any experience with this service? How does it compare to Netflix? I saw a lot of the same movies on both service providers.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + REITs
abuss368

Postby BuckyBadger » Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:57 am

I read something reviewing Red Box's streaming somewhere a while ago. They said that the Red Box streaming quality was very poor - so poor as to make the movies unwatchable. This was from when they first started the service, or maybe were trialing it, so maybe it's better, but it's something to watch out for.
BuckyBadger

Postby nordlead » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:43 am

I built a cheap and quite HTPC capable of playing blu-ray movies. Blows a Roku type box or smart TV out of the water. I use to to stream content from my file server, watch netflix or play DVDs. I used to use it to watch content directly on various providers websites, but TimeWarnerCable offered me a deal I couldn't pass up. Disney Jr on demand is awesome when you have a 3yr old.

When I want to get an actual disk though, I typically head to the local library. Sometimes redbox if I don't feel like waiting for it to be available at the library.
nordlead

Postby chaz » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:47 am

Get them free at http://www.openculture.com/

Can't beat that price.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
chaz

Postby kramer » Fri Sep 20, 2013 12:06 pm

I download everything via torrents here in the Philippines and play it on my television. Pretty much everything is easily available.

I wish I had some of the pay-for-content options on this thread available to me, but none of them are. Also, the internet is not fast enough to stream using a VPN option which, as someone stated, is also a violation of terms.

I have a DVD player for my flat screen TV and I have never even used it; it has been collecting dust for over a year.

Many of my American friends are retired from the Armed Forces and they have a satellite dish setup to see AFN (Armed Forces Network) -- there is a one-time-only fee for this. There is a lot of good content on there, but it is only available to certain Armed Forces retirees.
kramer

Previous

Return to Personal Consumer Issues