How do you "rent" movies?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

How do you "rent" movies?

Postby island » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:06 pm

Blockbuster is long gone, but it feels like I haven't watched a movie at home since that place existed. Well other than one on HBO or an ocassional download from our ATT Uverse connection which never seems to have much to choose from.

So was wondering what's your go to for getting movies, new releases to old classics?
Your cable/internet provider, Netflix, Red Box, or???

I'll never be one to watch a movie or program on my computer or phone, TV only. Please clue me in on the best options for that.

Thanks.
island

Re: How do you "rent" movies?

Postby joe8d » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Check out your local Public Library.DVD's and Blue Rays, new releases and classics, all free.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby FrugalInvestor » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:14 pm

I like the old-style Netflix (mailed DVDs) which is still available. You make a list online and they mail you the movie at the top of your list. You keep the movie as long as you want and when done with it mail it back. Then you receive the second movie on your list. They still seem to have strategically located distribution facilities as the movies arrive very quickly and the price is right - 7.99 I believe for as many as you can watch in a month. It just doesn't get any more convenient than that, and not much more affordable!
"All generalizations are false, including this one." | -Mark Twain
FrugalInvestor

Postby ieee488 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 pm

Netflix. Grandfathered $4.99+tax for 2 DVDs a month. Two accounts.
ieee488

Postby Stonebr » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:25 pm

joe8d wrote:Check out your local Public Library.DVD's and Blue Rays, new releases and classics, all free.

+1 Public libraries often have good collections of classic movies, TV series, and documentaries. Totally free and holding periods of up to a full week.

Our small Maine city still has two actual video rental stores with quirky, eclectic inventories.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear
Stonebr

Postby kenschmidt » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:27 pm

I use Redbox for recent releases and the library for older movies. in our library system, you can reserve movies or books at any branch and they will ship them to your local branch for pickup.
kenschmidt

Postby Rob5TCP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:29 pm

Netflix download and Hulu. During some super bad weather earlier this year, I spent a whole weekend watching movies / shows.
For the money, I find Netflix a bargain.
Rob5TCP

Postby dad2000 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:33 pm

Many older selections from the library. Occasionally some new ones from Redbox.

We also belong to Amazon Prime, and we use the free streaming selection often.
dad2000

Postby Khanmots » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:36 pm

island wrote:I'll never be one to watch a movie or program on my computer or phone, TV only. Please clue me in on the best options for that.

I have a setup at home with a bi-directional HDMI switch where I have the output from my computer fed into the "output" and each monitor hooked up as the "inputs". So I'm running it backwards ;) Anyways, this lets me hit the button on the HDMI switch to send the signal from my computer to my TV instead of to the monitor. It was $20 for the switch and $30 or so for the 30 foot HDMI cable. If the hardware in your computer is appropriate, you can even send audio over the HDMI as well so your sound will come from the TV too. (this is how mine is setup)

This lets me play streaming options that I have on my computer directly to my TV. Comes in handy for when I have friends over! :)

That said, I currently have a cable running across the floor for a bit. If I got crazy I suppose I could do cable drops but I'm lazy and it's only crossing 4 feet of carpet (rest is tucked below baseboards)
Khanmots

Postby joe8d » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:37 pm

Many older selections from the library.

My library gets the new movies as soon as they are released on DVD / Blue Ray.
All the Best, | Joe
joe8d

Postby EmergDoc » Tue Aug 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Rob5TCP wrote:Netflix download and Hulu. During some super bad weather earlier this year, I spent a whole weekend watching movies / shows.

How bad could it have been if you had power? Or were you using a generator to run the DVD player?

We use Netflix and Redbox with an occasional library movie, especially on long car trips for the kids. They don't care if the movie was made 20 years ago. We also spend a lot of time at the second run movie theater. On Tightwad Tuesday's it's 75 cents per person. It doesn't hurt so bad to buy a $7 popcorn when the movie is basically free.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
EmergDoc

Postby Colorado13 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:00 pm

Another vote for the public library. I'm #250 on the waiting list for Lincoln. But I am first on the list for Charlie Brown's Christmas, (which I've put on hold until Dec 19, so I'm pretty much guaranteed to get that one when I want it instead of in March.)
Colorado13

Postby tylerdurden » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:01 pm

The usual movie search goes in this order:

1. Netflix streaming
2. Library
3. Redbox
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD
tylerdurden

Postby aquifer » Tue Aug 27, 2013 10:52 pm

I rent movies through my Apple TV. It's probably a little more costly but I rarely rent and the convenience is nice.
aquifer

Postby Rob5TCP » Tue Aug 27, 2013 11:20 pm

EmergDoc wrote:
Rob5TCP wrote:Netflix download and Hulu. During some super bad weather earlier this year, I spent a whole weekend watching movies / shows.

How bad could it have been if you had power? Or were you using a generator to run the DVD player?

Actually, our wires are underground so to lose electricity it takes a Hurricane Sandy.

So when the weather is the pits, NetFlix gets used heavily.
Rob5TCP

Postby LPSpecial » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 am

1) Netflix streaming through roku.
2) Borrow from library ocasionally.
3) Rent on demand from Amazon streaming through roku (costs about $3-5, but don't have to go pick it up or return it).

LPSpecial
LPSpecial

Postby ejvyas » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:12 am

Following preference:

1. Public Library - I put it on hold as soon as I see the ratings and hear good things about the movie. My library is affiliated to 36 public libraries around and they get movies as soon as they are on DVD/ BD.
2. Redbox - I have loads of free codes available + get 1-2 free per month from their SMS
3. Theatre - Sometimes I go to the theatre (1st show in the morning $6)
ejvyas

Postby obgraham » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:16 am

Amazon Prime - streamed to wife's Kindle Fire HD, played via HDMI cable to real TV.

Dish On Demand - sometimes.

Google Play -- download to my Nexus 7, watch on airplanes.
obgraham

Postby skylar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:30 am

Public library for most things, sometimes watch Hulu or stuff online but the commercials are aggravating. Personally I don't have the patience for most movies so I prefer just reading.

Skylar
skylar

Postby littlebird » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:31 am

We like foreign films, so:
http://www.filmmovement.com
You can join a "foreign film of the month club" or just buy individual films
littlebird

Postby jane1 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:41 am

Public library. Great collection. They get new DVD/BD soon after release. And we can put hold/freeze. We are typically able to see within a few weeks of a DVD release.
jane1

Postby frugaltype » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:45 am

Amazon instant video. Netflix has never worked properly for me.
frugaltype

Postby JupiterJones » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:47 am

My search usually goes:

1.) Netflix streaming
2.) Netflix snail-mail

...and that's it. There are lots of things that Netflix doesn't stream, but there's very little that they don't offer via physical DVD.

For those who want access to a deep & broad catalog--classics, cult, foreign, etc.--good old-fashioned snail-mail Netflix is really the only option. The streaming services, libraries, RedBox, etc., all have sizable gaps in their offerings.
Stay on target...
JupiterJones

Postby fourwaystreet » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:19 am

We use to belong to Netflix but we got tired of getting DVD's sent to us that simply didn't work. I use to use Redbox too but it turned into a hassle going back and forth to the store and they never seemed to have the movie I wanted at the time.

About once a month we go the Time Warner on demand route for around five bucks, otherwise we use Amazon Prime via the HDMI cable to the TV.
fourwaystreet

Postby oxothuk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:21 am

-1 for local library
The value of my time and gas to pickup and drop off the DVDs far outweighs the "free" rental, even if I coordinate with other errands. Of course this same argument applies to Redbox, which I also do not use.

As compared to Netflix, the library has a relatively small stock of DVDs, frequently a single copy per title. I've had more than one experience watching a series where I got to "disc 6 of 10" and found that disc to be missing from the collection or checked out but several months overdue.

In order of usage my sources are over-the-air PBS recordings (I built my own DVR), Netflix streaming, Netflix DVDs. This is more than sufficient to fill the time I have available for viewing.
oxothuk

Postby jidina80 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:22 am

No movie services exist where I live, so I use Bit Torrent for movie and TV downloads.
jidina80

Postby blurryvision » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:49 am

jidina80 wrote:No movie services exist where I live, so I use Bit Torrent for movie and TV downloads.

If you have internet access, then you can use a streaming device such as Roku to watch movies with Netflix or rent them on Amazon Streaming Video.

Are you saying that these services are not available where you live? And I'm not sure, but isn't downloading videos on Bit Torrent illegal?
blurryvision

Postby Ged » Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:53 am

Netflix DVDs
Amazon Prime Streaming
Library
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part.
Ged

Postby oxothuk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:01 pm

blurryvision wrote:If you have internet access, then you can use a streaming device such as Roku to watch movies with Netflix or rent them on Amazon Streaming Video.

I'm pretty sure all the major Internet streaming services have geographically limited service areas. They do a lookup on your IP address to enforce these limitations. Moreover, they have only deployed the edge servers required for good performance within those service areas.
oxothuk

Postby gks » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:21 pm

Comcast Cable non-premium channels, prerecorded for fast-forwarding through commercials

Comcast On-Demand free movies. About on par with the WalMart $5.00 movie bin. A lot of movies, but I was never before aware of just how many really bad movies were made.

Library
gks

Postby windaar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:24 pm

oxothuk wrote:
blurryvision wrote:If you have internet access, then you can use a streaming device such as Roku to watch movies with Netflix or rent them on Amazon Streaming Video.

I'm pretty sure all the major Internet streaming services have geographically limited service areas. They do a lookup on your IP address to enforce these limitations. Moreover, they have only deployed the edge servers required for good performance within those service areas.

I don't understand what you are saying - that a Roku w/ Netflix/Amazon Prime does not work because of the above? I do not know anyone who cannot use these services.
windaar

Postby jidina80 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:27 pm

blurryvision wrote:
jidina80 wrote:No movie services exist where I live, so I use Bit Torrent for movie and TV downloads.

If you have internet access, then you can use a streaming device such as Roku to watch movies with Netflix or rent them on Amazon Streaming Video.

Are you saying that these services are not available where you live? And I'm not sure, but isn't downloading videos on Bit Torrent illegal?

The internet isn't fast enough for streaming, but I'll look into those services for downloading. Thanks.

Downloading videos, music, software or e-books with Bit Torrent is not illegal unless the copyright terms of the specific content being downloaded is violated.
jidina80

Postby blurryvision » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:33 pm

jidina80 wrote:
blurryvision wrote:

The internet isn't fast enough for streaming, but I'll look into those services for downloading. Thanks.

Downloading videos, music, software or e-books with Bit Torrent is not illegal unless the copyright terms of the specific content being downloaded is violated.

Ah my mistake then. :oops: I guess I've only heard of Bit Torrent being described in a negative way.
blurryvision

Postby oxothuk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 12:54 pm

windaar wrote:I don't understand what you are saying - that a Roku w/ Netflix/Amazon Prime does not work because of the above? I do not know anyone who cannot use these services.
Do you know someone outside the US who is using them?
oxothuk

Postby MoonOrb » Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:26 pm

Here's how I do it:

1. Public library. For some titles the wait is very long, but they're free, you can keep them for 3 weeks, and you can put a whole bunch on your queue so you always have something coming in.

2. Netflix streaming: $8 or $9/mo. I don't watch this on my computer or phone (although I could). I access Netflix via a Blu-Ray DVD player that's hooked into the internet. The Netflix library is excellent for television shows, foreign movies, and documentaries, but lacking for new releases and stuff you'd find in a "mainstream" catalogue. Great value at $9/mo though. We also get Amazon Prime, which is similar, although I prefer the Netflix interface. Prime has other benefits, which is why we get it. If you prefer Prime to Netflix, be sure you have a DVD player or Roku etc that will play it. Not every DVD player has the Prime application.

3. Redbox. This is good for mainstream new release type movies. $1/night if it's convenient to your house.

4. We still have a fantastic video store around the corner. So if there is ever anything we want that we cannot get through 1-3 above, we rent it for $4 or whatever. I think we've rented about 5 movies in the last 2 years.
MoonOrb

Postby sesq » Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:57 pm

Mostly stream from various sources - on various devices (PS3, Sony Streaming box, Panny Blu-ray, Chromecast, computer, nexus 7)

In order of frequency -

Amazon prime (subscription)
Vudu (pay)
Sony PS3 store (pay, I get promo credits once in a while, otherwise VUDU has the better interface and pricing)
Fios (pay)
Amazon (pay)
Netflix (turn on periodically, used to be for a miles promo)
Google play (tablet, pay)

We also have aftermarket (over the counter?) dvd players for the card which we often use Redbox for variety for the kids on longer trips.

I have noticed the rotten tomatoes website will sometimes display a list of source a flick can be streamed. The streaming titles are not universally available, and I am working on getting an old laptop connected to my projector for the instances that apple has titles that vudu/amazon/etc do not. It would be cheaper to just get an appletv, but I am not sure I need another streaming device. I could probably do better to consolidate many boxes into a HTPC set up.
sesq

Postby Khanmots » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:18 pm

blurryvision wrote:
jidina80 wrote:
blurryvision wrote:

Ah my mistake then. :oops: I guess I've only heard of Bit Torrent being described in a negative way.

Lets say that some organizations that only release material under very restrictive terms of use like to publicize that message ;) To be fair to them, there is a lot of copyright infringement that does happen, but there's a lot of non-infringing sharing that occurs as well (hell, major software companies even distribute software updates this way behind the scenes...)

There's other's who release under permissive terms of use that make use of free sharing as a form of marketing. Some quite successful from this, see Jonathan Coulton for one example.

That said, if material hasn't entered the public domain, or wasn't released under a license that allows non-commercial redistribution (like many versions of the Creative Commons licenses do) then it's of dubious legality. Assuming of course that one lives within the US; other nations laws may be different.

Oh, and I should probably add that IANAL, just someone who finds this stuff interesting.
Khanmots

Postby pennstater2005 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:26 pm

frugaltype wrote:Amazon instant video. Netflix has never worked properly for me.

Amazon instant video on demand as well. I love the option of renting a new release from the comfort of my couch. I have Netflix as well although it works fine for me. Did you try contacting Netflix to see if the glitch was on their end?
"The lack of money is the root of all evil." Mark Twain |
pennstater2005

Postby KyleAAA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:37 pm

Netflix Streaming and Amazon Instant are as convenient as it gets.
KyleAAA

Postby vectorizer » Wed Aug 28, 2013 3:48 pm

1) Netflix discs (but not streaming); many of the movies I'd like to watch are not available streaming anywhere. Helps to be able to rip them for later (one time) viewing.

2) VUDU for streaming more recent movies. Usually for when we have unexpected time but no Netflix discs to watch. Great picture quality, close to BluRay. They also offer daily 99-cent specials; you have 30 days to watch a movie after the rental "purchase". Not a subscription, you just pay for each movie.

3) Amazon streaming, but only the free stuff with Amazon Prime membership. Usually TV shows.

We watch these through our PS3, though I just ordered a discounted Roku box for another room so we'll see how that works for VUDU & Amazon. FWIW, I have a fast internet connection and only use wired connections for streaming, never had a technical issue.
vectorizer

Postby windaar » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:11 pm

oxothuk wrote:
windaar wrote:I don't understand what you are saying - that a Roku w/ Netflix/Amazon Prime does not work because of the above? I do not know anyone who cannot use these services.

Aha - I hadn't caught that the earlier poster was outside of the U.S. It is true that service outside of U.S. may be limited by IP address.
windaar

Postby Rattlesnake » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:14 pm

We use Family Video.....
9th Infantry Division LRRP (Ranger) | 1968-69
Rattlesnake

Postby fareastwarriors » Wed Aug 28, 2013 4:25 pm

Netflix, Redbox, and Amazon.
fareastwarriors

Postby Toons » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:31 pm

Stream Netflix,Amazon Prime,Youtube keeps adding more and more full movies,since receiving my Chromecast and using that with HDTV it has added a new dimension(superb video quality) when viewing Youtube,via phone ,tablet.I have not used a DVD in years to watch a movie :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Toons

Postby BolderBoy » Wed Aug 28, 2013 5:57 pm

joe8d wrote:Check out your local Public Library.DVD's and Blue Rays, new releases and classics, all free.

And see if your local PL has exchange agreements with other libraries. Many of the libraries in Colorado have interlinked sharing agreements such that I have access to >300,000 DVDs...for free and delivered to my local branch.

Netflix gets me the rest that I want.
BolderBoy

Postby KyleAAA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:14 pm

oxothuk wrote:

I know plenty of people outside the US who use Netflix, but they use a VPN to do so. You can buy VPN access for around $5 per month, so it might be a reasonable option.

https://hidemyass.com/vpn/
KyleAAA

Postby oxothuk » Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:41 pm

KyleAAA wrote:I know plenty of people outside the US who use Netflix, but they use a VPN to do so.

Might work, but probably in violation of the TOS.

What kind of performance do they get? I'm sure the Netflix infrastructure is optimized for delivery to customers attached to the major US cable/telco ISP.
oxothuk

Postby KyleAAA » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:21 pm

oxothuk wrote:
KyleAAA wrote:I know plenty of people outside the US who use Netflix, but they use a VPN to do so.

Might work, but probably in violation of the TOS.

What kind of performance do they get? I'm sure the Netflix infrastructure is optimized for delivery to customers attached to the major US cable/telco ISP.

I'm not sure. I streamed video when I was in China and it was pretty slow, but internet in China is pretty slow to begin with. I think if you have generally fast internet you will be fine.
KyleAAA

Postby Munir » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:37 pm

Netflix- both DVDs and streaming. Very much worth the few dollars they cost.
Munir

Postby scubadiver » Wed Aug 28, 2013 8:48 pm

Munir wrote:Netflix- both DVDs and streaming. Very much worth the few dollars they cost.

^This
scubadiver

Next

Return to Personal Consumer Issues