Anyone feed the birds?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
camden

Anyone feed the birds?

Post by camden »

Since moving out in the country a few years ago, my wife and I have enjoyed watching the birds coming to an outside bird feeder. Through trial and error, we found that the wild bird food which does the best job of attracting a variety of birds, including colorful woodpeckers, cardinals, jays, etc. is one which contains peanuts and dried raisins and cherries in addition to sunflower seeds, and have been using 3-D Premium songbird food. Up until recently, it was sold at Walmart. No more, and we cannot find it anywhere else, either. In fact, we are having trouble finding anything other than foods which are pure seeds, without the peanuts/fruit that attracts the best variety of birds.

We had also noticed that, before it became unavailable, that this type of food had gotten a lot more expensive, increasing in price over the last few years much more than the general rate of inflation.

Wonder whAt other Boglehead bird feeders use, and where they get it. Anyone else having trouble finding what they want?
mike143

Re: Anyone feed the birds?

Post by mike143 »

Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We use a mix of safflower and sunflower seeds (blend it ourselves). This seems to keep the House Sparrows away and everyone else seems to be happy. We use thistle seeds for the finches and sugar water for the hummers.

The Great Horned owls, eagles, osprey and hawks pretty much decide on their own.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
Snapper

Post by Snapper »

We do feed birds. We use only sunflower chips as they do not sprout and the birds eat all of it. We have finches, jays, collared doves and many quail feed on what they drop. We recently reduced the number of feeders as sunflower chips are now around $40 for a 20 lb bag and we go through several a month. There was a shortage of sunflower last year and the price went up dramatically and quality declined. Many stones and shell mixed in. This year the quality is back up but prices remain high. Shipping costs seem to negate any Internet source savings. We buy from a local store that gives us the 10th bag free.
wilpat

Post by wilpat »

Bird food is misnamed --- it should be squirrel food (that birds occasionally get a little of) :D
Contrary to the belief of many, profit is not a four letter word!
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

If you wish to attract the greatest variety of birds to your feeders, I suggest this:

1) Raw peanuts out of their shell
2) Hi energy beef suet
3) black oil sunflower seed(sunflower chips are simply the seed outside of the shell which birds love but is more expensive)

Enjoy!

K.I.S.
Imperabo

Post by Imperabo »

wilpat wrote:Bird food is misnamed --- it should be squirrel food (that birds occasionally get a little of) :D
So true. They stuff their fat faces full and carry it all off to consume later.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I use Wild Delight, their Gourmet "flavor." They have a promotion, buy ten bags get a bag of the same type free. They have other types heavier on the fruit.

Where I live it's sold at Dave's Markets.

I also have out unsalted shelled peanuts.

I put out a fixed amount each day, otherwise you get a population and budget explosion.

Sparrows, doves, cardinals, blue jays, even the occasional robin although robins are not supposed to like this stuff, a few other types of birds, squirrels, skunks, foxes, raccoons, opossums. There's enough for everyone.
Last edited by frugaltype on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sport

Post by sport »

Costco has the kind of bird seed you describe. It comes in a 30 lb. bag for $18.99.
Jeff
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

wilpat wrote:Bird food is misnamed --- it should be squirrel food (that birds occasionally get a little of) :D

Sounds like you need to go to www.squirrelstopper.com

K.I.S.
sport

Post by sport »

Sam I Am wrote: The feeder is on a long wife hanger...
What does your wife have to say about that? :shock:
granpa

Post by granpa »

Anyone found a GOOD hummingbird feeder?
My main problem (other than ants which can be discouraged with a built in moat): Daily heating causes liquid to expand and
feeder to drip leaving sugar residue on area under feeder.
Surely someone has a "drip free" design???
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

We use these -- Dr. JB

http://www.amazon.com/Dr-JBs-16CLY-Humm ... ird+feeder

jb, not a Dr.
Don't trust me, look it up. https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions-and-publications
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Keep It Simple wrote:
Sounds like you need to go to http://www.squirrelstopper.com

K.I.S.
There's an entire thread devoted on the topic: Squirrel Proofing a Bird Feeder, my recommendation is in this post.

I use good quality seed from my local supermarket. It's supplemented with the excess seed mix that my parrots don't eat (changed daily) - this is high quality stuff and a treat for the "locals."
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Bill McNeal

Post by Bill McNeal »

I have a hummingbird feeder out for the past couple of weeks but I only see one particular bird come by (I'm in Northern California). How do I get more to come?

I'm thinking of also starting a bird feeder. Do you have to clean up a lot of bird droppings/excrement under the feeder? Or is that something they do after they leave?
tomd37

Re: Coarse Sunflower Hearts For Me

Post by tomd37 »

I have been feeding the wild birds since 1984. Initially I started with black oil seed but ended up having to literally shovel the discarded shells into bags to dispose of them. It's amazing the mess black oil seeds make when not cleaned up properly and quickly. After moving to my current home in 1995 I found a local bird shop that sells thousands of pounds a week of various types of seed. The one I found best is sunflower hearts (coarse) which I use year round. No dropped seed shells to contend with. A 50 pound bag now costs $62, up from $53 several years ago. I feed year round and go through 9 to 10 bags a year of the sunflower hearts for three feeders. Dozens of cardinal pairs in my area for many years. I also have a peanut feeder frequented constantly by various types of woodpeckers, tufted titmouse, and Carolina chickadees. There are other birds using that feeder, but I have not identified all of them. I have another feeder of nyjer (thistle) seed that I use in winter and spring as our Goldfinch population stays year round. They switch to sunflower hearts when I replace the nyjer feeder with a hummingbird feeder. I also put out suet in winter when our winter temps in middle Tennessee allow. I enjoy the birds and will always feed them. Currently have four hens and twelve young wild turkeys that frequent my yard almost daily. They roost in the wooded areas behind our home.
Tom D.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Biil McNeal wrote:I have a hummingbird feeder out for the past couple of weeks but I only see one particular bird come by (I'm in Northern California). How do I get more to come?

I'm thinking of also starting a bird feeder. Do you have to clean up a lot of bird droppings/excrement under the feeder? Or is that something they do after they leave?
To attract different birds, you need different food. Starting a (seed) bird feeder is good. I have a few different types. It takes a while for them to find the feeder. After that, they'll learn where it is and you're good to go.

The droppings will accumulate under the feeder, so don't put it over an area that people can walk by. That eliminates the clean-up.

Consider it as fertilizer. Put the bird feeder where it will do some good - in a garden, for example.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

I should perhaps note that if there are bears around, they will view bird feeders as a food source.
tomd37

Post by tomd37 »

As do the racoons (at night) and squirrels during the day. My feeders that racoons can access are brought in at night. I have squirrel-proofed all but one feeder, but they have not bothered that one very much.
Tom D.
Bill McNeal

Post by Bill McNeal »

LadyGeek wrote:
Biil McNeal wrote:I have a hummingbird feeder out for the past couple of weeks but I only see one particular bird come by (I'm in Northern California). How do I get more to come?

To attract different birds, you need different food. Starting a (seed) bird feeder is good. I have a few different types. It takes a while for them to find the feeder. After that, they'll learn where it is and you're good to go.

The droppings will accumulate under the feeder, so don't put it over an area that people can walk by. That eliminates the clean-up.

Consider it as fertilizer. Put the bird feeder where it will do some good - in a garden, for example.
Thanks for the tip. I actually meant more birds as in more hummingbirds, not species.

My feeder is in a location where people can walk so I may have to put some newspaper underneath.
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

Biil McNeal wrote: Thanks for the tip. I actually meant more birds as in more hummingbirds, not species.

My feeder is in a location where people can walk so I may have to put some newspapether underneath.
Hi Bill, I chose my retirement home in SE Arizona mountains to live among the 15 or so species of hummers that we regularly get. My suggestion, plants especially red tubular flower plants.

The scrub sages like Salvia greggii (Autumn sage) are one I like, but it may too wet in your location.

http://www.redbud-cnps.org/Hummingbird% ... 0short.pdf
G-Money

Post by G-Money »

Imperabo wrote:
So true. They stuff their fat faces full and carry it all off to consume later.
So they're prodigious savers, just like . . . Bogleheads? :happy
Don't assume I know what I'm talking about.
SnapShots

Post by SnapShots »

Bird food attracts all sorts of critters, along with birds. Very cold, snowy days are the best because lots of different kinds of birds flock in. Certain plants will attract a variety of birds.

Crows are fun to watch, photograph and extremely smart. They love rotten meat. And, cookies.

Crows live in familiar groups. They learn who you are. I use to feed them and when I went for my morning walk, they would followed me, calling to each other from roof tops.
the best decision many times is the hardest to do
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

SnapShots wrote:Crows are fun to watch, photograph and extremely smart. They love rotten meat. And, cookies.

Crows live in familiar groups. They learn who you are.
Yes, they are really smart. They are also thieves and will grab shiny objects and take them to their nests.
Crows live in familiar groups. They learn who you are.
Yes

mephistophles

Post by mephistophles »

Crows are smarter than most people. Some are even crowheads which a version of bogleheads.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

granpa wrote:Anyone found a GOOD hummingbird feeder?
We think these are the best and are named Best because they're easy to clean, and have never seen any dripping. If the migration is strong we sometimes have four or five out and refill a few every day, but have to bring them in at night as the bats will empty them in a few hours. http://www.amazon.com/Best-1-32-Ounce-H ... _sim_lg_31
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I used to bank the bird seed company that provided one of two big box home improvement stores with bird seed. Trust me when I say that their costs have exploded. So much so that I "encouraged" them to find another bank. :D
engineer1969

Post by engineer1969 »

I have an in-law who harvests meal worms to feed the birds in his backyard. He has fashioned a pole with a cone on the end. He puts the worms in the cone and places it in a preset socket out on the lawn. He then sits back and watches the show. Occasionally he is able to sell extra worms to the local pet and feed store.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Used to feed birds for years, tried all different types of feeders and seeds. Finally realized that was primarily feeding raccoons, gray foxes, possums, squirrels, skunks, feral cats, crows, blackbirds and rodents which feasted on seeds knocked to ground by birds. No longer feed the critters, now plant trees and shrubs which provide natural food source and shelter to birds. Have as many songbirds as before but have not seen raccoon or gray fox or skunk in several years (ever catch a juvenile skunk in rat trap? not nice event) , and installed screech owl house now ocupied by screech owl family which keeps rodent population down. I believe that Audobon Society also recommends spending time and money planting trees and shrubs which provide natural food and shelter for birds.
MP173

Post by MP173 »

We use a birdfeeder with sunflower seeds, which serves the squirrels quite well.

The sunflower seeds scatter from the feeder and provide plants and ultimately seeds for the Goldfinches. It is great watching the finches eat from the plants.

BTW...the Robins seem to have left the area a couple of weeks ago. Has anyone else seen this?

Ed
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

jdb wrote:Used to feed birds for years, tried all different types of feeders and seeds. Finally realized that was primarily feeding raccoons, gray foxes, possums, squirrels, skunks, feral cats, crows, blackbirds and rodents which feasted on seeds knocked to ground by birds. No longer feed the critters, now plant trees and shrubs which provide natural food source and shelter to birds. Have as many songbirds as before but have not seen raccoon or gray fox or skunk in several years (ever catch a juvenile skunk in rat trap? not nice event) , and installed screech owl house now ocupied by screech owl family which keeps rodent population down. I believe that Audobon Society also recommends spending time and money planting trees and shrubs which provide natural food and shelter for birds.
This is true. If you work on the habitat, the birds can pretty much fend for themselves except during the harsh winter. We stop feeding in early spring (except hummers) and start again in the late fall after the local food supply starts to get stripped. We maintain a couple of tree lines for habitat and I pile up downed/pruned branches in the back of the lot during the fall and winter and leave a debris pile in place through the nesting season (then I have it hauled away mid summer).

If you have hawks (especially Coopers or Sharpies), feeding song birds during nesting season is a setup. The hawks will hang around in the trees and wait for the busy parents and new fledglings. It makes it easy for them to pick off someone. That is another reason we avoid feeding after early spring.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I can concur on the Sharpies (Sharp-shinned Hawk), as we used to have one hang around the feeder. IMHO, it's nature's food chain at work.

The feeder will attract every bird in the area. Larger birds will feed on the seed that spills on the ground (if the squirrels don't get it first).
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Like several others, I mix my own seed instead of buying pre-mixed bird seed. I detest the finch mixes sold around here because they contain canary grass seed and that type of seed sprouts up a huge mess of unwanted plants under the bird feeder. One 20 pound bag of finch mix led to months of yanking out canary grass plants. Nope, not doing that again.

My personal mix is 20 pounds of sunflower hearts, 7 pounds of safflower, and 5 pounds of thistle. This attracts the house finches, goldfinches (migratory here), chickadees, black phoebes, various migratory birds, and of course the normal assortment of house sparrows. The house finches help keep the scrub jays away, so I am no longer getting woken up at 6am by the scrub jay squawking (or by the jay that used to peck on my bedroom window when I first moved in).

The only "mix" I use is a 7 pound bag of milo, red millet and white millet sold as "dove mix", since there are at least a dozen doves that frequent the ground underneath my bird feeders. I can't seem to find just plain white millet locally, which is what the doves really love. There's not too much waste from this mix though. My doves are not very picky, although I did see one attempt a landing on the actual bird feeders to get some sunflower and safflower seeds the other day.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

Every time I see this thread title, I have to spend the next fifteen minutes hearing the song from Mary Poppins play in my head. Not the worst thing that can happen. I also think that scene also has some of the most effective pre-CGI-era animation since the opening over-the-rooftops sequence in Pinocchio. And, of course, the movie also contains an investment lesson in the song Fidelity Fiduciary Bank. "Majestic, self-amortizing canals!" One sometimes underappreciates the sophistication of the Disney songwriting teams.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
TRC

Post by TRC »

Feeding birds attracts the food chain to your yard. My neighbor used to do it and it brought in foxes, wild turkeys, raccoons and who knows what else.
Bill McNeal

Post by Bill McNeal »

That's an interesting point. So sometimes a birdfeeder is really a hawkfeeder.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

My main problem (other than ants which can be discouraged with a built in moat): Daily heating causes liquid to expand and
feeder to drip leaving sugar residue on area under feeder.
Surely someone has a "drip free" design???
use a "pan feeder" e.g. Droll Yankee. picture at http://www.bestnest.com/bestnest/RTProd ... SKU=DY-LF4

Actually it is normally the air that expands and forces out the liquid.
Professor Emeritus

BigFoot48 wrote:
We think these are the best and are named Best because they're easy to clean, and have never seen any dripping. If the migration is strong we sometimes have four or five out and refill a few every day, but have to bring them in at night as the bats will empty them in a few hours. http://www.amazon.com/Best-1-32-Ounce-H ... _sim_lg_31
We have 3 each of 3 kinds of feeder for a kind of Hummingbird Buffet.
Professor Emeritus

jdb wrote:Used to feed birds for years, tried all different types of feeders and seeds. Finally realized that was primarily feeding raccoons, gray foxes, possums, squirrels, skunks, feral cats, crows, blackbirds and rodents which feasted on seeds knocked to ground by birds. No longer feed the critters, now plant trees and shrubs which provide natural food source and shelter to birds. Have as many songbirds as before but have not seen raccoon or gray fox or skunk in several years (ever catch a juvenile skunk in rat trap? not nice event) , and installed screech owl house now ocupied by screech owl family which keeps rodent population down. I believe that Audobon Society also recommends spending time and money planting trees and shrubs which provide natural food and shelter for birds.
Don't knock foxes. They are one of the few legal ways to control the no longer migrating Canada Geese population, Some people here have cars that have bumper stickers that say "go Foxes"
To keep it on a financial tack, Geese are hard on property values.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Foxes are also good for keeping the deer away from my plants, which are near the bird feeder. That's another food chain. :)

BTW, you don't need to stay on the financial track in this forum - just be consumer focused. See: Forum Posting Guidelines - updated 2/27/12
jdb

Post by jdb »

Professor Emeritus wrote:
Don't knock foxes. They are one of the few legal ways to control the no longer migrating Canada Geese population, Some people here have cars that have bumper stickers that say "go Foxes"
To keep it on a financial tack, Geese are hard on property values.
Interesting comment. In South Florida do not have Canadian Geese problem but my neighborhood has problem with flocks of peacocks which are probably bigger than geese and "protected". Maybe foxes like them. Have not seen a fox since stopped feeding birds. May reconsider my decision and put up bird feeders again.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

LadyGeek wrote:Foxes are also good for keeping the deer away from my plants, which are near the bird feeder. That's another food chain. :)
They also take a goose every once in a while in our yard. We normally get a few hundred parked in the creek in winter time. When they wander ashore, often a Fox will take one.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

Professor Emeritus wrote:
If you are reasonably accurate with a 2-iron and a Titlest (I'm not), that also works.
Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy »

Mudpuppy wrote:My doves are not very picky, although I did see one attempt a landing on the actual bird feeders to get some sunflower and safflower seeds the other day.
Just thought I'd follow-up to say the dove figured out how to land on one bird feeder. I do believe it was mocking the other doves pecking away at the ground as it got to pick whatever seed it wanted directly from the feeder.

And I've never seen a fox in the neighborhood. I've only seen one squirrel for that matter. There are rats though. I don't see the rats, but I see evidence of their passing, including a dead one when a neighbor set out bait.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.
Last edited by Sam I Am on Sun Oct 06, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Professor Emeritus

LadyGeek wrote:Foxes are also good for keeping the deer away from my plants, which are near the bird feeder. That's another food chain. :)

BTW, you don't need to stay on the financial track in this forum - just be consumer focused. See: Forum Posting Guidelines - updated 2/27/12
:happy I was not sure that foxes "consuming" geese qualified ....Thanks :sharebeer
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

Here's a cheap deer repellant formula that I saved from a newspaper article back in the 1990's:
Out in the farmlands of Greenwich Township, Berks County, John Doppel enjoys collecting and growing interesting plants among thousands of rhododendrons in his 10-acre landscape. Retired from a woodworking business, he's also trying to hybridize a hardy yellow rhododendron with summer drought resistance.

Doppel's anti-deer tactic is a spray made from a simple formula: one egg per one gallon of water. He usually beats three eggs at a time with an electric hand-held mixer, pours the beaten eggs through a mesh strainer so they won't clog the nozzle, then mixes the eggs with three gallons of water in a sprayer. Then he adds the secret ingredient: a small amount, per label instructions, of sticker-spreader, a substance that helps sprays adhere to plants. It's sold at Agway and other farm supply stores.

Doppel says the sticker-spreader keeps the egg mixture on his rhododendrons and other garden plants for a month or two. ''It really works,'' he says. ''The place really looks good this year,'' better than his neighbor's plants, which had no protection against the area's 25 or so deer. He says he thinks the spray helps deter rabbits, too.

Eggs, specifically putrescent egg solids, have long been non-toxic ingredients in deer repellents. The deer don't like the rotten egg smell. Some repellant sprays also include garlic or hot pepper, but Doppel feels these aren't necessary. ''I kind of wonder if the deer don't think they are at Subway or something and getting a salad,'' says Doppel.
The formula works for me.

Mike
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
mrpotatoheadsays

Post by mrpotatoheadsays »

Traditional bird food is just too expensive and messy. Switch to hummingbirds.... 1 part sugar, 4 parts water - bring to boil.

Best hummingbird feeder: Perky Pet Hummingbird Oasis Plastic Feeder [http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0006G51YS]

At rush hour, I can get over 12 hummers at that feeder. They are very territorial birds and have epic battles over the feeder; it's quite entertaining. They are also very curious and somewhat tame; I've had several fly right up to my face - it's a little unnerving given they have a spear as a beak.
Bill McNeal

Post by Bill McNeal »

Nice. What area do you live in?

My hummer feeder only attracts one specific individual bird. I don't know if it's fighting any of the others off, I haven't see another. It's definitely skittish though. I get close to the window to look, and it flies away.

I'm thinking of putting up another feeder with many feeding ports about 20 feet away to attract more. But I hope that's not wishful thinking.