Stationary exercise bike recommendation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
jon-nyc

Stationary exercise bike recommendation?

Post by jon-nyc »

Hi All -

I'm in the market for a stationary exercise bike. I don't mind spending some money for quality.

What is important to me is stability and reliability and quiet. So well-built mechanics are really what I care about.

I don't particularly care about fancy electronics, speakers, etc that come with higher-end models but I'm aware that many higher-quality units will likely have these features as well.

Any recommendations?
Tycoon

Re: Stationary exercise bike recommendation?

Post by Tycoon »

We recently bought a Sole SB700. It's a very quiet bike and looks like it will last forever. I recommend it.
Emotionless, prognostication free investing. Ignoring the noise and economists since 1979. Getting rich off of "smart people's" behavioral mistakes.
oaksavannah

Post by oaksavannah »

Visit local gyms and ask to try-out their bikes. My gym offers Spinner and Keiser models so that's my experience. They are both fine. The Keiser's gears are smoother and I prefer that. I have not experienced riding on a RealRyder - it's a stationary bike that you can apparently steer and lean. Costs more but an interesting idea. There's YouTube videos featuring all three products and more discussing how to train on a stationary bike.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Have you decided on an upright model (positions like riding a bike) or the "recumbent" type where your legs are in front of you? Many things I read and hear indicate the "recumbent" type is much better, and less likely to cause certain kinds of problems/issues (on joints/nerves/etc.)

It has to do with personal preference and how you exercise and are motivated, but I want the metering of energy/calories expended, time, heart rate (either picking up my transmitter or hands on the sensors - or both). I would also want a wide range of RPM and resistance - so that I can exercise at the pace I want. Also, what I do now might be different in a few years, both as I get into better shape, or have to scale down because of health issues, age, etc.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Matrix makes very nice equipment.

http://www.matrixfitness.com/product/view/u1x-cycle
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
tigermilk

Post by tigermilk »

While I don't have one of these, I do have their powermeters for my road bikes - http://www.cycleops.com/en/products/indoor-cycles.html

They are known for being good quality stationary bikes.
gator15

Post by gator15 »

CycleOps. I own one and it's outstanding. I paid close to $2k for the bike, but well worth it. I ride it all the time.
tigerman3

Post by tigerman3 »

I have a recumbent Freemotion. Have been quite happy with hit.
lindisfarne

Post by lindisfarne »

I bought a used lifecycle 5500R recumbent about 10 years ago & it still meets my needs. They are absolutely solid. I suspect all the additional computer interfaces on the newer ones are just more parts to break. The options I get on the computer meet my needs. I keep track of my progress in a small little paper notebook with a pencil (the kind with a graphite tube enveloped by a hexagonal wood structure) - no need to upload to my laptop! (My laptop sits very nicely on the "bookrest" that fits around the buttons for various workout programs; I watch a lot of BBC sitcoms while pedaling. My 2 liter bottle of water sits on a small table within arm's reach.) The only thing I've ever had to do is change the 9V battery. They are heavy, but have rollers on the front so you can lift up the back & move it. Going up & down stairs requires 2 strong people (the bike can be disassembled to a degree, & I've done it, but it's a lot of work. The brown frame should not be further disassembled (unless you need to repair something & know what you're doing) & weights about 80 pounds.)

I recommend buying used commercial exercise equipment - good commercial equipment will feel better & last a lot longer than most equipment sold for household use. I spent $500 for the used lifecycle 10 years ago & still consider it an excellent expenditure. In addition, by working out at home, I don't have to spend money on good-looking exercise clothes. I wear my raggedy t-shirts and old shorts. What I've saved on work-out clothes through the years has more than paid for the bike!

I read somewhere years ago with these that you always need to pedal for a few seconds before pushing the start button, so I've always done that. Not absolutely certain failing to do that will do harm, but I'm not willing to try it & find out what is correct!

Image Image
carolc

Post by carolc »

We really like the Lemond G Force upright bike (there's a recumbant available as well). Not cheap but a great indoor bike.

carolc
Topic Author
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

Thanks for all the suggestions, all.
Rob5TCP

Post by Rob5TCP »

I second the idea of trying different models in the gym -- especially upright or recumbent.
I have an old Lifecycle many years (bought it used) and it still is in good shape.
You can find great used bargains from people that buy the equipment and then use it
for a few months, then lose interest.

I use a Polar monitor even though the lifecycle has a heart rate monitor -
it does not do all the calculations the Polar does.

Try Ebay (local only) and Craigslist.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

jon-nyc wrote:Hi All -

I'm in the market for a stationary exercise bike. I don't mind spending some money for quality.

What is important to me is stability and reliability and quiet. So well-built mechanics are really what I care about.

I don't particularly care about fancy electronics, speakers, etc that come with higher-end models but I'm aware that many higher-quality units will likely have these features as well....
I bought a stationary bike for the stability, reliability,and quietness that you seek. It was a Schwinn upright bought used (a few years old as I recall) in 1994. It's a little tired looking and the speedometer, mileage, and time thingies no longer work, but otherwise it gives me a good, basic workout. I added a book holder to it so I can read while pedaling. I would put my money on a good quality bike, not the extra stuff, so try out as many as you can at a good bike shop. Re upright vs. recumbent, the uprights are supposed to provide more benefits for hips and gluteal muscles, while recumbents are good if you have back problems.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
TRC

Post by TRC »

Tycoon wrote:We recently bought a Sole SB700. It's a very quiet bike and looks like it will last forever. I recommend it.
+1 on Sole. We have a treadmill from them that's been great. After 5 years of heavy use, the electronics started to flake out. Called customer service and they sent us a totally new electronic unit for free, with a spare box to mail back the broken piece. Great customer service and they really stand behind their product.
Topic Author
jon-nyc

Post by jon-nyc »

Just as an update, we got the Sole. It's a fantastic piece of machinery, solid and quiet, and no huge fancy display.

I couldn't be more pleased, thanks for the recommendation.
soaring

Post by soaring »

So far very happy with Xterra SB4.5 and it has a lifetime warranty!

http://www.costco.com/XTERRA-SB4.5r-Rec ... 81040.html
Desiderata