New car tires - very shaky above 60 mph

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Colorado14

New car tires - very shaky above 60 mph

Post by Colorado14 »

I was excited to have new tires installed on my vehicle this weekend. I did only in-town driving this weekend, but on my morning commute, the car was very, very shaky as I got near/above 60 mph on the interstate. Obviously, I'll call the tire place but wonder if anyone has advice about what I should ask them to do? They did alignment and balancing and I think this might be an alignment issue (car seemed to pull to the left) but the shakiness required two hands tightly on the steering wheel, which is not the norm. Thanks for any advice.
cheese_breath

Re: New car tires - very shaky above 60 mph

Post by cheese_breath »

Don't just call the tire place. Take the car back there and have them redo the alignment and balancing. Also make sure they put on the correct tires for your vehicle.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Typically, you will experience the shakiness when the car tires have not been re-balanced and almost always at speeds of 55mph and greater. This is not a steering component issue, especially since you mentioned you just purchased new tires. They need to re-balance all 4 wheels and that includes adding the correct amount of lead weights on the rim (whether it be inside or out). Followed by a steering alignment.
Did they not test drive the car prior to handing it back to you? Have them sit in the car with you driving it so they can assess the problem - this is the fault of the installation place.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
SumOfDivs

Post by SumOfDivs »

The tire dealer probably neglected to balance the tires. If that is the case just take it back to them and ask them to balance the tires. However, I would first check that all the lug nuts on your wheels were tightened back up.
dratkinson

Post by dratkinson »

Below assumes the basics are good: dealer actually attempted to balance the tires, wheels properly centered on hubs, lug nuts properly tightened, tires correctly inflated, ....

If the car wasn't pulling sideways on the old tires, but is on the new tires, I suspect a bad tire(s), not vehicle alignment.

I suspect the shaking is a caused by a defective tire (out of round, misaligned/separated plies,...) that was not detected during off-the-vehicle tire balancing. I've had one new/bad tire before---balanced good off the vehicle, but drove bad. Luckily I was only replacing one tire so it was easy to isolate/replace the bad tire. Bad tire was marked for return for dealer's credit.

The old style of balancing the tires on the vehicle would catch new/bad tires. The new style of balancing tires off the vehicle misses these conditions.
  • The old style balancing machine's metal driving wheel contacting the tire's tread simulated the road surface during on-the-vehicle balancing. Bad tires made a noticeable "thump" and would shake the vehicle during balancing. Good tires ran smooth. We worked on balancing a tire until a nickel would stand on edge on the fender at a simulated 60 mph. Smoooth.
As your vehicle is noticeably pulling to one side, I suspect the bad tire is on the front.

My 0.02.

(Added) Re-read OP and noticed alignment was done---missed that first time through. That work, and tires, should be double-checked. (A low tire can make a vehicle pull to its side.)
Last edited by dratkinson on Mon Aug 12, 2013 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
d.r.a., not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor; you are forewarned.
Topic Author
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

Thank you very much for the advice - I appreciate it, as it gave me good info for the call back to the tire dealer. The dealer claims he'll rebalance and/or do whatever is needed to make it right.

Thanks also for the lug nut advice. It felt like all the tires were about to fly off the car so I'll definitely check those before I drive back to the tire place.
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

remember to tell the dealer that it happens over a certain speed, so they can road test it.

My gut:

- shakiness is tire balancing
- pulling to left may be wheel alignment

... if it didn't pull before, it probably didn't even need aligning, so make darn sure your car drivers straighter after they're done than before :)
wander

Post by wander »

Colorado13 wrote:Thanks also for the lug nut advice. It felt like all the tires were about to fly off the car so I'll definitely check those before I drive back to the tire place.
I would check it right away since it takes less than 5 minutes to do it.
Topic Author
Colorado14

Post by Colorado14 »

I checked the lug nuts before leaving work yesterday, then drove to the tire dealer, who rebalanced all four tires. All is well today. Thank you all for your advice!