Fantasy Football Strategies and Tips

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
sunnyday

Fantasy Football Strategies and Tips

Post by sunnyday »

I signed up for a Fantasy Football league this year. It's been a while since I participated in a league and don't follow the NFL that closely anymore. What are some good tips and strategies and websites/online tools?

The point system of this league is 10 yards per point rushing /receiving, 25 yards per point passing, 6 points touchdown rushing receiving, 4 points passing touchdowns
Igglesman

Re: Fantasy Football Strategies and Tips

Post by Igglesman »

Running backs. Running backs. Running backs. If you have a top 3 pick...I would go for Adrian Peterson or Aaron Rogers or Drew Brees. Try to stock up on RB's. Get the underrated WR. TE sometimes are more valuable than WR --- if you can get top 2 or 3 (maybe only 2 this year...the guy in New Orleans and Gronkowski --- but watch injury report.

I use Rotonews for latest info. Yahoo sports is good. The fantasy football podcast (daily) on espn...are excellent. You can also see where the experts rank the players.

So big tip --- try not to pick up injured or injury prone players. Stay away from QBs on losing teams. Do not overspend on kickers...they are basically all the same. Defenses can wait to later rounds.

Once you get a team...you really have to work it the first couple of weeks on waiver wire...be careful to avoid the hot players after week one...it is like they say - past performance in one weeks may not be reflective of performance the rest of the year.

I am sure you will get a lot of opinions...but it is a great game to play.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

FF threads are no longer permissible...
Attempted new signature...
Mandrale

Post by Mandrale »

Don't draft a defense, you can usually play a week to week match up and do just fine. Kickers shouldn't be taken until the last round or two. An elite fantasy football site is http://www.leaguesafepost.com/ -- It will give you great advice, and there is also a mock draft they did on there for like Rounds 1-6 or something like that.

In regards to the above poster, your Rd 1/2/3 picks are not usualy viable for a Quarterback. With the way the league is right now, the difference in points between Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco is not the same as the difference between Adrian Peterson and Benjarvus Green-Ellis. What I mean by that is you can still get a solid FF QB in round 6 or 7, where as the solid RB's will be gone by that time.

Hope this helps.
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

Mandrale wrote:Don't draft a defense, you can usually play a week to week match up and do just fine. Kickers shouldn't be taken until the last round or two. An elite fantasy football site is http://www.leaguesafepost.com/ -- It will give you great advice, and there is also a mock draft they did on there for like Rounds 1-6 or something like that.

In regards to the above poster, your Rd 1/2/3 picks are not usualy viable for a Quarterback. With the way the league is right now, the difference in points between Aaron Rodgers and Joe Flacco is not the same as the difference between Adrian Peterson and Benjarvus Green-Ellis. What I mean by that is you can still get a solid FF QB in round 6 or 7, where as the solid RB's will be gone by that time.

Hope this helps.
On your point of top tier QBs (top 3-4) versus mid-tier QBs, I would agree that there is not much difference...except if your league gives 10 point bonus for 350 passing yards...then Brees and such consistently put up 40-50 points versus a Freeman and Flacco who put up 20-25. Depends on the scoring system.
Topic Author
sunnyday

Post by sunnyday »

The Wizard wrote:FF threads are no longer permissible...
Oops, I didn't know that. I thought it would fall under leisure activity -- sports and entertainment:
Forum Posting Guidelines wrote: - recreational and leisure activities: travel, sports and entertainment

If you aren't sure if a topic you are about to post is OK, ask yourself whether it is both related to a consumer issue and actionable. By actionable, I mean whether you (or other readers) will potentially be able to use the information to better utilize your time or money.
tweeter

Post by tweeter »

I would definitely look over how experts have ranked all the players and use that as a starting point. I would suggest that you do your own research on players and alter the lists accordingly. Once the season starts, you will find that the experts will be wrong on a lot of players. Go with your gut. For example, I feel the upside of Doug Martin outways the risk of well worn, injury prone backs like Arian Foster and Adrian Peterson. I would actually even take Alfred Morris over either of those guys.

Also, I would not be averse to taking a WR in the second round or even making a go for Brees or Rodgers. Do research on strategies and look at mock draft results to see how things are panning out.

Good overall site: www.fantasypros.com
bkslainte

Post by bkslainte »

Buy low, sell high :)

If all else fails, I like to pick the best player available or best value per round. Obviously I pay attention to position that I need to fill. But by picking the best player, you can always trade in the future or have them fill in when the inevitable injuries start.
momar

Post by momar »

Get lucky, because luck is the most important thing.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 »

If you don't know much, you may want to auto-draft. Beginners in my league tend to autodraft. This way, you won't make a dumb mistake that everyone will laugh at (like the guy in one of my leagues that drafted a Defense in the 4th round). The computers tend to do a pretty good job of drafting (at least on Yahoo).
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

Fantasy sports threads are no longer permitted in this forum, this topic is locked. See: Consumer Forum Reopened
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.