Do I need the "enhanced" car security system?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
anncatchingup

Do I need the "enhanced" car security system?

Post by anncatchingup »

We're going to buy a new car soon -- probably a Subaru Outback, maybe a Honda CRV. I believe both cars come with some kind of alarm system built in. However, I noticed at a couple of dealers there were stickers on the windows about "enhanced" security functionality that was extra that could be "activated" at the time of purchase for an extra cost.

I want a clean, no-nonsense car purchase, with the total cost established before I walk into the dealership. I almost had that several years ago when I bought my Civic. I knew enough not to get the extended warranty, undercoating, etc., etc., but they scared me into buying the "extra" alarm functions. I'm not really sure if I ever really needed them or if I got taken. I don's want to be pressured at the time of sale. I want to know ahead of time if it's worth it or should I just pass.

Also, do I need the wheel locks (locking lug nuts)? I've always gotten them, but my husband says they're not worth it either.

Thanks for any advice. :happy

Ann
harrychan

Re: Do I need the "enhanced" car security system?

Post by harrychan »

When was the last time you or anyone called the police when the car alarm went off?

That's what I thought :)
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
StretchArmstrong

Post by StretchArmstrong »

I wonder if the enhanced security is GPS tracking/ some sort of vehicle recovery system. It's probably not worth it, especially if you are going to carry full coverage insurance that covers theft.

How nice are the tires and wheels going to be on the Subaru?? I've never had my tires stolen, and the one time I did have locking wheel nuts I couldn't find the key when I needed to change a flat :oops:

In my own experience you are more likely to have your window smashed for the quarter you left on the passenger seat than anything else. I've also had my exhaust pipe cut apart with a saw zaw as someone took my catalytic converter. It's all about the quick and easy buck (or quarter).
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

Nearly all cars on sale today are equipped with immobilizers in the key fob. You can't start the car without this microchip in vicinity of the receiver. It's also why replacing a lost key will cost you upwards of $250 at the dealer only to reprogram. It's nearly impossible to defeat this security device, not to mention expensive. Only well funded thieves would be able to afford a hacking device. Well funded individuals probably don't steal cars and the few that do probably target luxury vehicles.

See "Gone in 60 Seconds" for more details. Basically, what Nicholas Cage had to do to steal that Mercedes is what you have to do today to steal a plebeian Civic. The technology has trickled down.

An alarm system will just tell you if someone broke into your car. It doesn't stop it from happening. A purse or phone left in the open would be gone in seconds alarm or not.

Car alarms have gone the way of VHS, wristwatches, and film camera.

No one steals stock rims. By definition everyone already has them! there is no market to sell them. Wheel locks only necessary if you buy aftermarket rims.
Ged

Post by Ged »

About the only way to steal a car these days is to tow it away. I don't know of an alarm that would prevent that.

As far as having a firm price when walking into a dealer, I like that too. That's why I generally use a service like Cars Direct. There are folks who claim you can do better if you negotiate yourself, and some people even enjoy that game. For my father it was huge fun. I'm not like that myself.

The only thing that leaves you open to is the warranty pitch. You can just say no there.

One thing about Honda extended warranties that I've learned is that you can get Honda Care which is good at any dealer by shopping around on the internet. Honda lets any dealer sell it, and you can get it for about 1/2 the price that dealers usually sell it at the time of car purchase. If you buy something loaded with electronics and plan to keep it forever it might be worth it.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Agree with the others that theft of the whole car is unlikely anymore, assuming you don't leave the key in it.
Much more common is a break-in to steal contents. I solve that problem by never locking my Mustang convertible (and never leaving anything of significant value in the passenger compartment.)
Attempted new signature...