Things to Do on visit to Sarasota, Florida

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Fat-Tailed Contagion

Things to Do on visit to Sarasota, Florida

Post by Fat-Tailed Contagion »

Hi Bogleheads,

Any suggestions on what to do and see in Sarasota, FL area would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
“The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists.” | ― Benjamin Graham, The Intelligent Investor (75/25 - 50/50 - 25/75)
statman

Re: Things to Do on visit to Sarasota, Florida

Post by statman »

Depends on your taste. I suggest the Ringling museum, perhaps its circus museum in particular. (Sarasota was John Ringling's home and long the winter quarters of his circus.) Shelby botanical garden (not inexpensive), particularly if you like orchids. Mote Marine -- we especially like the Moat Boat tour of the bay, as they have a license to dredge up sea life and then discuss it. Burns Court is an artsy nhbd with a theater that shows mainly Indy cinema, maybe lacking where you come from. Sarasota has many arts organizations, but music and theater concentrate on the winter "season." Also lots of good restaurants, in almost every taste and budget category.

And of course, the beaches. Siesta was named No 1 in the country a couple of years ago, but I prefer the less crowded Lido (big free parking lot, then walk south from the public beach area for more space; except for the Ritz, nobody claims "their" beach above the high water line).
Keep It Simple

Post by Keep It Simple »

I second the Mote Marine boat tour...it is especially exciting for kids as they bring up marine life from the ocean and allow you to be hands on with it.

Sarasota is an amazing place. So is Siesta Key. Try out the Broken Egg for breakfast and make sure to get their hash browns.

K.I.S.
plannerman

Post by plannerman »

Myakka State Park, if you are a nature lover and the winter training facility for the Lipizzarner's. I enjoyed both.

plannerman
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

If kids:

Jungle Gardens
Whiz Kids childrens museum
Siesta Key Beach
Boat tour (I took one out of Marina Jacks)

No kids:

Ringling museum
Oslo Theatre
Van Wezel
Go see "The Kiss"
Siesta Key Beach
St. Armand's Circle (overpriced shopping, but some neat stores to browse through)

There's probably a bunch of other things I'm forgetting. If you like seafood and they are in season, go some place to have stone crab!

JT
EternalOptimist

Post by EternalOptimist »

You'll love it, was there this past spring and am thinking of moving there. Check this site out:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractions- ... orida.html

Have fun :beer
"When nothing goes right....go left"
mike143

Post by mike143 »

bottlecap wrote: Siesta Key Beach
St. Armand's Circle
+1, We stayed in Siesta Key and the only thing we did outside of beach and dining was hit St. Armand's Circle before getting back on the road home. We did not like Le Colonne Restaurant at St. Armand's Circle. We though they would have authentic Italian but it was not impressive and was overpriced. We did like Jo-To Japanese Restaurant in Sarasota, we only got sushi. I will look at my receipts, there was another restaurant we liked.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
gatorman

Post by gatorman »

The Columbia Restaurant on St. Armand's Circle is very good. Try the 1905 Salad. The Ringling Museum is quite large and you could easily spend a day there. Myakka (mentioned above) has a short sky walk that gets you up in the canopy and has a good view.
gatorman
Retread

Post by Retread »

I live in Sarasota, but it's hard to tell you what to do here without knowing your interests, when you're coming, ages and so forth.
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

If you happen to enjoy rock music,

Siesta Key Oyster Bar - decent food and often appearing, a live great band - Kettle of Fish - descendants of the Allman Brothers Band

Call around local Irish pubs to ask when Brian Johnson might next be expected to show up for an appearance.

Good Cuban food and people watching: St Armands circle.

I love Sarasota,

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.