Jersey Shore, Anyone?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Jersey Shore, Anyone?

Post by snyder66 »

Looking for a quick beach getaway to the Jersey shore. Any advice ion town/hotel combination would be great. My wife has ruled out Cape May, however. Thanks
cheese_breath

Re: Jersey Shore, Anyone?

Post by cheese_breath »

Well, Cape May would have been my first recommendation, but I'm getting old and sedate now. If you want something with a younger, more lively atmosphere check out Wildwood, just a few miles up the coast from Cape May. Old fashioned boardwalk with lots of vendors, amusement pier, etc.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
TnGuy

Post by TnGuy »

You could look into Stone Harbor or Avalon - if you want a bit less of the 'boardwalky' atmosphere.

David
"Money will not make you happy. And happy will not make you money." - Groucho Marx
John Z

Post by John Z »

I too recommend the Wildwoods (North WW, WW, Wildwood Crest) and the DooWop experience. Free beach, no beach tags needed (but you pay for it in your hotel rate). NWW is quiet, many motels converted to condos. WW is oldest and not too inviting but does have the nearly 2 mile boardwalk with several piers of amusement rides for all ages. WC is newest and offers many motels and condos but have to use trolley or car to get to boardwalk areas. Beach is massive, sometimes 300-500 yards from street depending on location. Our family has gone there for over 25 years straight - and we live in NH - about a 400 mile drive but we feel it's worth it. Now 2 of our married kids still go and DW and I go also for old time memories and we like the beach. Well guarded and plenty of beach for everyone.
John Z

http://www.wildwoodsnj.com/
http://www.doowopusa.org/
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

Well it's been over 50 years (yikes!) but Seaside Heights was our family summer vacation spot for several years when I was a kid.

I can't speak to how it is today from personal experience but I'm pretty sure it is still about the same from what I see on Google. It was a typical boardwalk with indoor and outdoor attractions -- vendors, arcades, rides, pitchmen. My parents bought some sort of food slicer/dicer/chopper from one of the pitchmen. He was fun to watch and you felt you owed it to him to buy something just to pay for the entertainment! We all had joke pictures drawn in charcoal.

I wonder if they still have the cowboy anamatronic that insults you with great skill to goad you into drawing a gun on him. He had satisfying retorts depending on who won the draw -- you or him. He was right across from the Ski-ball machines.

I know the Wild Mouse ride is still there and it is STILL a favorite of many people. I think there is a cult following. I loved it! If I were anywhere near I would go out of my way for another ride. There are some fun POV videos posted on the internet but it is hard to do it justice that way.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Seaside Heights took the brunt of Hurricane Sandy last year, but from what I see on TV I'm guessing just about everything has been rebuilt. So it should all be pretty new.

Beware of sharks though. (Just kidding) Seaside Heights was the setting for the Syfy movie, "Jersy Shore Shark Attack".
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

I prefer Cape May also but Ocean City is also a nice quiet place. As a bonus it also has rail service I believe.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
DoWahDaddy

Post by DoWahDaddy »

You know DoWahDaddy is down with DooWopWildwood.

Depends on your age and intentions. There are a hundred different beach communities to explore along the shore. but in general, Belmar/Seaside are for the youngest travellers. Point Pleasant for those in or out of college. For good eating and a chill time, nothing beats Cape May, sorry that's the way it is. I used to love Long Beach Island, which got hit pretty hard on the ocean side from Sandy. There's one road that goes the whole 20 mile stretch of the island (which is 25mph along most of it) and that alone is both the draw and the deterrent of the island, depending on your perspective. There's plenty to do on LBI even without the boardwalk experience. And dont forget about Atlantic City of course!
"I've worked in the private sector. They expect results." - Dr. Raymond Stantz
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

I'd recommend North Wildwood/Wildwood. I've been going there my whole life. Lots of stuff to do, and the beach is big, clean, and free. There are also many good restaurants in the area.
chaz

Post by chaz »

The Jersey shore looked good in the TV series.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Rusa

Post by Rusa »

TnGuy wrote:You could look into Stone Harbor or Avalon - if you want a bit less of the 'boardwalky' atmosphere.

David
These towns are awesome and so are their beaches! Highly recommended as long as you like it quiet.
Rusa
Grasshopper

Post by Grasshopper »

1969 Point Pleasant, Whiter Shade of Pale, over and over again on the jukebox. On my way to Woodstock, and ran into a surfer girl. Never made it to Woodstock, spent the summer hiding on her Grandpa's boat. Wow summer was never any better after that.
RNJ

Post by RNJ »

Point of information. In Jersey we say, "down the shore", as in, "Ya goin' down the shore?"

As for specifics: Long Beach Island (aka, "LBI").
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

I will never say "Down the shore". I also don 't mispronounce words like Wooder, haurry, waurry. And people think the Boston accent is bad.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

RNJ wrote:Point of information. In Jersey we say, "down the shore", as in, "Ya goin' down the shore?"

As for specifics: Long Beach Island (aka, "LBI").

When we moved from Florida to south Jersey in the 70s we thought that our neighbors were saying "down-a-shor" or Dinah Shore. We still laugh about that.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
Rainier

Post by Rainier »

Stone Harbor or Avalon are my recommendations.

If you go after Labor Day the prices really plummet and the water is still warm.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Here's another vote for Avalon. If you do go, make sure you take a ride to Springer's ice cream shop in Stone Harbor for some delicious home made ice cream - of course, there can be a wait, it's very popular. For pizza, try "peace a pizza". :happy
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

Sea Isle City.....quiet and clean.
D Newton

Post by D Newton »

+1 Sea Isle City
Regards, | Doug
Old Guy

Post by Old Guy »

Doesn't answer your question, but it reminds me of a story. Many years ago when I was a Fed I drove up from DC to the New Brunswick area to speak to a group of educators about a government program. I grew up in New Jersey. I started the presentation with an acknowledgement that I was pleased to be speaking to an audience who knew what I meant when I said that "I was going to the shore".
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

Old Guy wrote:Doesn't answer your question, but it reminds me of a story. Many years ago when I was a Fed I drove up from DC to the New Brunswick area to speak to a group of educators about a government program. I grew up in New Jersey. I started the presentation with an acknowledgement that I was pleased to be speaking to an audience who knew what I meant when I said that "I was going to the shore".
My wife goes to the shore, I go to the beach. (NJ vx. Del.)
gasman

Post by gasman »

Anybody know how LBI is doing post Sandy?
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Just got back form Wildwood Crest today. Been going for 20 - 30 years. Hit Wildwood Crest multiple times a summer/year. Easily 10-15 trips a summer as it is only 2 hours and 20 minutes for us. Clean, awesome restaurants (great Italian food), free beaches, police keep trouble away, kids love it.

Check out an excellent hotel on the beach (all beach front):

Reges Resort - clean, awesome views, affordable, big pool sundeck, café, parking, etc:

http://www.regesresort.com/
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

abuss368 wrote:Just got back form Wildwood Crest today. Been going for 20 - 30 years. Hit Wildwood Crest multiple times a summer/year. Easily 10-15 trips a summer as it is only 2 hours and 20 minutes for us. Clean, awesome restaurants (great Italian food), free beaches, police keep trouble away, kids love it.

Reges Resort - clean, awesome views, affordable, big pool sundeck, café, parking, etc:

Little Italy? :wink:
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

TJAJ9 wrote:
abuss368 wrote:Just got back form Wildwood Crest today. Been going for 20 - 30 years. Hit Wildwood Crest multiple times a summer/year. Easily 10-15 trips a summer as it is only 2 hours and 20 minutes for us. Clean, awesome restaurants (great Italian food), free beaches, police keep trouble away, kids love it.

Awesome place. Also Ravioli House. Even Joe Pesci dines there!
Fieldsy1024

Post by Fieldsy1024 »

Little Italy.....Jesus the portions can feed 3 people!
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

abuss368 wrote:
TJAJ9 wrote:

Awesome place. Also Ravioli House. Even Joe Pesci dines there!
I haven't been to the Ravioli House before, but I just checked it out, and it looks awesome. I'll have to try it out when I go there at the end of August!
TJAJ9

Post by TJAJ9 »

Fieldsy1024 wrote:Little Italy.....Jesus the portions can feed 3 people!
Indeed! I usually have the appetite of 3 people, so it's all good! :beer
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

No joke, there is a picture of Joe Pesci and Donald Trump. Possibly Wayne Newton as well. They have all dined there. It is on New Jersey Avenue.