Honda CRV

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities

Honda CRV

Postby exoilman » Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:30 pm

We are getting ready to purchase a new Honda CRV. Any one in the Jersey area that can recommend a dealer is appreciated. Also any opinions on the vehicle appreciated. We will be trading in a 2007 Civic EX (42K). and prefer to use dealer.

thanks
Sam
exoilman

Re: Honda CRV

Postby scone » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:12 pm

I've got one. On the up side, it is absolutely, flawlessly reliable. Everything works very well, never a doubt that it will get me there. The AWD and traction control is a real necessity where I drive, on mud, gravel, snow, ice, etc. The sound system is great. Lots of room inside. It has no trouble at all starting in any weather, even way below zero, and no warm up required. We've driven it across the country in mid-winter, no problem. We've also been off-road with it a little, and it does pretty well, although it's not really designed for serious off-road duty.

On the down side, it's boring. Handling is so-so, gearbox is bleh, the seats don't hold you down like sport seats, and there is no "dead man" pedal. So slicing your way down a curvy dirt road is tricky, tiring, and not as fun as it should be. It's a bit underpowered for the weight, with a high center of gravity, so making a left onto a busy road, or fighting your way onto the freeway from a short on-ramp, takes a big effort. The awkward shape and total lack of aerodynamics really hurts it at freeway speeds-- you can feel the buffeting.The ride is a bit stiff as well. If you have back problems, you might want to get a pillow of some sort. It's essentially like driving a minivan.

All in all, it's a completely useful, reliable people mover-- if that's what you want, this thing will not let you down. Just don't expect to rally it. Full disclosure: I'm planning to trade mine in for a Subaru WRX, so you can see where I'm coming from. :wink:
"Sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you." -- Preacher Roe
scone

Postby rjc32000 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:29 pm

I can't speak to the new models, but I sold my 03 CRV last year and that thing was just great for what it was: an inexpensive and reliable sport-cute with lots of room for passengers and cargo. I didn't have a single problem in the 10 year I owned it, but did regular oil changes and maintenance recommended by manual under "severe conditions" schedule. Certainly not the best handling or fastest car out there, but I doubt these are your primary criteria if this is the car you are looking at.
rjc32000

Postby BestWishes » Fri Jul 26, 2013 2:39 pm

We have 2 CRVs, 2007 and 2012. Pretty much agree with everything scone said. Nice reliable car with no power. Don't expect it to do much when you step on it. Lots of space to haul stuff as well as people. Son packed up every inch of the 2007 when he headed off to college. We looked around at other cars and finally decided to just buy another CRV. We like it that much :happy

Husband drives a Subaru STI and when you step on it, there is just no comparison. It corners like the corner is not there. He drives the fun car :D
BestWishes

Postby Allan12 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:47 pm

How about Bay Ridge Honda? It's in Brooklyn, but they do a lot of volume, and I've always gotten good deals from them, and so has many of my friends and family.
Allan12

Postby DoWahDaddy » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:53 pm

Planet Honda on Rt22 in Union. Our family's preferred dealer.
Me: 75/25 stocks/bonds | Son: 45/45/10 matchbox/hotwheels/thomas & friends
DoWahDaddy

Postby chrisj » Fri Jul 26, 2013 3:57 pm

A few months ago, I helped my mom buy a 2013 CR-V from Coast Honda in Sea Girt, NJ.

I got prices from 10+ dealers around the state. Coast Honda gave the best price with no shenanigans.

Our specific sales consultant was Mike Campbell. Funny guy, and pleasant to spend a few hours with signing paperwork. I would recommend working with him. We considered trading in an older car and he told us outright "Don't trade it in here, you'll get a better deal on Craigslist". So we did, and he was right.

Coast Honda: http://coasthonda.com/
Mike Campbell http://www.dealerrater.com/sales/Michael-Campbell-review-88051/

If you want to know the prices I got from different dealesr, or any other details, send me a private message.
chrisj

Postby LadyGeek » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (car).

I purchased a 2012 CRV AWD LX, it just turned 1 year old. I'm very happy with this basic model.

Don't get FWD (front-wheel drive) model. It might be a little cheaper, but you'll more than make up for it with peace-of-mind knowing that the AWD will kick in when needed.

I've had a few factory recalls done, but that's normal. No problems so far. I also had some fun customizing the display panel wallpaper (you can upload an image via USB).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby SteveB3005 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 pm

I'm on my 3rd all-wheel drive CRV and my only big complaint is tire mileage. I've run the cheaper Continental's and Cooper's, as well as the top of the line Michelin's, and the CRV's chews them up at nearly the same rate. Fifty thousand mile tires make it thirty and sixty thousand mile tires last thirty-five. I've had two dealers and several tire shops tell me, "That's just the way it is. Great little vehicles, that's crappy on tires."

If I didn't live in a snowy climate, I'd buy the 2-wheel drive model. I've been told these are considerably better on tire wear.
SteveB3005

Postby coacher » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:56 pm

DCH Honda in Old Bridge
coacher

Postby TRC » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:17 pm

exoilman wrote:We are getting ready to purchase a new Honda CRV. Any one in the Jersey area that can recommend a dealer is appreciated. Also any opinions on the vehicle appreciated. We will be trading in a 2007 Civic EX (42K). and prefer to use dealer.

thanks
Sam

Regarding a dealer, use the new car buying service from USAA.com and plug in the model you want. Take the lowest quote to the dealer closest to you and have them beat it.
TRC

Return to Personal Consumer Issues