Google Chromecast Streaming HDMI Media Player

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
patrick

Re: Google Chromecast Streaming HDMI Media Player

Post by patrick »

A poor Wi-Fi connection shouldn't be expected to work well, if at all, for this. Note that HDTV broadcasts use about 19 megabits, and Netflix uses about 4 megabits for its HD streams (using a more advanced encoding than the broadcasts). Wi-Fi can do much better than that in ideal situations, but it would depend on the specific hardware, the distance, the amount of obstructions, and the amount of interference from other devices.

Or you could just do things the old fashioned way, and connect one end of your video cable to the TV and the other end to your PC.
pochax

Post by pochax »

Judsen wrote:The good news: I received my ChromeCast and my code for 3 Mos. netflix.
The bad news :: I could not get through setup as my signal is too weak. I have AT&T U-Verse,
The set up program says " Your wifi is off no big deal turn it on" In truth, it is on as I am able to stream audio to my stereo upstairs to my Logitech squeezebox touch!
My download speed is 1.3 Mbps. My router (NVG510) is two floors below my TV.
My options seem either to move my TV downstairs or to try to use the ChromeCast on my A/V receiver one floor up.
Confusion comes easy.
Jud
Or....buy a WiFi network range extender or repeater for <$80 on amazon. Place it between your original router and the TV (with chromecast). assuming your U-Verse speed is reasonable to begin with, you should be able to make this work for you.
dyeusdi

Post by dyeusdi »

Got mine over the weekend. Very easy and quick to set up at home.

Random thoughts:
- Watched a ton of YouTube due to the extreme ease of queuing/browsing during playback, using a iPad mini. Might set this up, in a side room, for social viewing during my next party.
- No wired LAN support, so quality could theoretically suffer. For Netflix, which is often not great, I have not yet noticed a difference. Likely to use this over the xbox due to ease of use for non-gamer family members.
- Browser based audio works great, so Pandora is already supported when run in Chrome. Spotify was a no-go since there's no browser version. Had to do this for the browser-based Play music.
- Casting a browser tab's video works well enough, though I had to pause once to get the audio/video back in sync. My laptop ran very hot during this. Was able to watch a Colbert Report from the website just fine.
- Whole Desktop capture worked through a buried option in the extension drop-down, but I didn't get audio. This option only appeared when I lowered my screen resolution on my laptop.
- At one point I lost playback control after watching a movie for a while. Had to kill/restart the Youtube app to find and pause what was on the TV.
- You'll no longer be fighting for the remote with your housemates, you all have remotes and will fight over the TV.
- You /can/ run setup from the browser on iOS devices which do not have a native app. Slightly more cumbersome UI as you have to manually switch the WIFI a few times during setup, but you get faster feedback on network issues.
- Wouldn't work at all on the work WIFI (repeaters, LDAP issues). No webpage-auth support for "open" network. This might be a problem at hotels, too. MiFi might be the best option for travelers, or laptop connection-sharing of the wired port if you know how to set that up. There are rumors of an update already in the works which may help this.
- Dropping MKV and MP4 files into Chrome allowed local files to be cast, although not my ISO rips. Waiting for VLC support for this. In the meantime, I'll keep using my NMT to play those 1080p blue-ray 'backups'.
- Though I use Play for streaming music, I buy all my movies from amazon due to the xbox/iphone/android portability. For this reason, I don't see using the Chromecast for rented movies just yet.

Overall, still very happy with the purchase, considering the price. I did get the Netflix rebate, although I wasn't sure at first. The email didn't arrive until after the device had shipped. Will have to wait and see how much I use it in practice --through for now it's the best option I have for Comedy Central and PBS episodes on the TV.
"You've got to be old with money because to be old without it is just too awful, you've got to be | one or the other, either young or with money, you can't be old and without it."
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

Great news Bogleheads. Chromecast with 3 months netflix rebate is still available for $35.00 + taxes on Best Buy. :happy
The strong do what they can and the weak suffer what they must -Thucydides
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

- Though I use Play for streaming music, I buy all my movies from amazon due to the xbox/iphone/android portability. For this reason, I don't see using the Chromecast for rented movies just yet.

Overall, still very happy with the purchase, considering the price. I did get the Netflix rebate, although I wasn't sure at first. The email didn't arrive until after the device had shipped. Will have to wait and see how much I use it in practice --through for now it's the best option I have for Comedy Central and PBS episodes on the TV.[/quote]

Why won't it stream amazon prime? That's really what I want.
htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 »

LazyNihilist wrote:Great news Bogleheads. Chromecast with 3 months netflix rebate is still available for $35.00 + taxes on Best Buy. :happy
It is out of stock, just like Amazon.
Topic Author
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

Received email today from Amazon... .Nov . shipment. Today was a good reason to have the stick.. PGA live was only live (early AM) on internet...could have cast it via Chrome.
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Igglesman wrote:Received email today from Amazon... .Nov . shipment. Today was a good reason to have the stick.. PGA live was only live (early AM) on internet...could have cast it via Chrome.

Mine is set to ship from Google by 8/16

I'd live to hear any success stories from anyone who has been able to stream amazon Prime shows.
Topic Author
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

FoolStreet wrote:
Igglesman wrote:Received email today from Amazon... .Nov . shipment. Today was a good reason to have the stick.. PGA live was only live (early AM) on internet...could have cast it via Chrome.

Mine is set to ship from Google by 8/16

I'd live to hear any success stories from anyone who has been able to stream amazon Prime shows.
My first and second notice had august shipments...so look for another email..maybe.
pochax

Post by pochax »

my amazon order has been delayed. first got an email saying it would come by 8/21, then they rescinded and said they didn't know. then they just sent a new one saying shipping by Oct 17-31 :? Oh well, at least i ordered in time to get my Netflix promotion when i finally do get it....(sigh)
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

htdrag11 wrote:
LazyNihilist wrote:Great news Bogleheads. Chromecast with 3 months netflix rebate is still available for $35.00 + taxes on Best Buy. :happy
It is out of stock, just like Amazon.
It is sold out, but you still get the 3 months netflix when it ships (probably 2 weeks.) I ordered mine 10 days back and just got the email that it was shipped and also got the 3 months netflix rebate code. :happy
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

My order from Amazon came yesterday (was originally scheduled for Aug 21). The Netflix codes came today (by email) - net cost about $11.

It took a bit to get it setup. I somehow missed the mac address info during setup.

It's difficult figuring out which devices and features work (are compatible) and which aren't.

I have two Apple iOS devices. The netflix and youtube apps work OK from iOS devices, but it seems a little easier to use the Roku player instead. You cannot broadcast websites from iOS devices, only from mac or windows machines (not sure about android devices).

Windows XP isn't supported, only win7 and above. Out of four devices I own, only one will broadcast from a website & it is a win8 pc in another room. I suppose this is a nice feature, but doubt I will use it because I have to go to another room to initiate.

The above is based on my initial experience, could be wrong on some of it. I guess the point is to check out compatibility before you order.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Received Chromecast yesterday,Netflix coupon today.Net cost ,12 dollars and change. Device works superbly streaming to TV via phone,Nexus 7 and Samsung Chromebook,it is a game changer :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Toons wrote:Received Chromecast yesterday,Netflix coupon today.Net cost ,12 dollars and change. Device works superbly streaming to TV via phone,Nexus 7 and Samsung Chromebook,it is a game changer :happy

Can you test stream amazon prime for me pretty please? ;-)
Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson »

FoolStreet wrote:
Toons wrote:Received Chromecast yesterday,Netflix coupon today.Net cost ,12 dollars and change. Device works superbly streaming to TV via phone,Nexus 7 and Samsung Chromebook,it is a game changer :happy

I was unable to stream Amazon Prime. Here is the chromecast error message (note Amazon uses silverlight):

"Q: I am able to cast a tab, but audio and/or video are missing.
A: If you can cast a tab and the page shows on your TV but the video and/or audio isn't playing, this is typically caused by the use of native plug-ins, such as Silverlight or Quicktime, which are not supported."

I have been able to stream other video sources, such as the NY Times, on my win8 pc.
Roku3 is much easier and convenient to use to stream Netflix, Amazon and many others. Chromecast is incompatible in so many ways, at this time more a novelty item than a serious alternative.
Topic Author
Igglesman

Post by Igglesman »

So I received my 5th update on shipment date from Amazon. So instead of sometime in late October or early November, they apologized and said they are making shipments daily and it could be very soon. Either way, for a net cost of 12 bucks not a bad deal.
pochax

Post by pochax »

Igglesman wrote:So I received my 5th update on shipment date from Amazon. So instead of sometime in late October or early November, they apologized and said they are making shipments daily and it could be very soon. Either way, for a net cost of 12 bucks not a bad deal.
yes i got this same update from Amazon today - they are really sending some mixed messages on shipping - back and forth, back and forth.....
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Jeff Albertson wrote:
FoolStreet wrote:

I was unable to stream Amazon Prime. Here is the chromecast error message (note Amazon uses silverlight):

"Q: I am able to cast a tab, but audio and/or video are missing.
A: If you can cast a tab and the page shows on your TV but the video and/or audio isn't playing, this is typically caused by the use of native plug-ins, such as Silverlight or Quicktime, which are not supported."

I have been able to stream other video sources, such as the NY Times, on my win8 pc.
Roku3 is much easier and convenient to use to stream Netflix, Amazon and many others. Chromecast is incompatible in so many ways, at this time more a novelty item than a serious alternative.

Thanks Jeff! Google Play still says I should expect shipment by 8/16 (that status was updated as of 8/8, yesterday). I am confused how the chromecast actually works. I differentiate between two options:

a. Streams content from the internet directly, using a tablet or other device as basically a smart keyboard.

b. Content streams from the internet to a tablet, then the tablet forwards the content to the chromecast

Can't wait for mine!

thanks,
alex
sesq

Post by sesq »

FoolStreet wrote:

a. Streams content from the internet directly, using a tablet or other device as basically a smart keyboard.

b. Content streams from the internet to a tablet, then the tablet forwards the content to the chromecast

Can't wait for mine!

thanks,
alex
Its A for the current built in apps (Netflix, Youtube, Google Play).

If you choose to "cast" a browser window, then its "B", as cast = mirror. I believe only a full computer running the chrome browser can cast, but I haven't had time to play with mine yet.
William4u

Post by William4u »

If it (a) streamed all my home movies (like a network drive does in windows) and (b) worked with amazon prime, it would be ideal.
ryuns

Post by ryuns »

Sad I missed that Netflix promo. I didn't order because the backorder looked nearly infinite, but my hesitation meant missing the promo. From Google Play: "Please note that the Netflix promotional offer (which was available in limited supply) has now ended. Orders placed before 1PM PT on 7/25 will receive their promotion code once their order ships. "

It's a great idea and will offer some flexibility, but my TV already has the same native apps as the Chromecast, so I doubt it will get too much use. Still, probably worth the paltry price tag.

I was thinking that it could also provide some flexibility to use Hulu, rather than Hulu Plus. Currently the additional features of Hulu Plus don't earn the price tag to me, but the flexibility to stream directly from my TV does. Being able to stream wirelessly through a laptop, to the TV, without hooking up the HDMI every time, might make it worthwhile. On the other hand, if it's going to be taxing on the computer and result in display problems, it may not be worth trying to save $8/mo.
An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered; an adventure is an inconvenience rightly considered. -- GK Chesterton
LazyNihilist

Post by LazyNihilist »

An update. They are not selling it anymore online at BestBuy.
Allan

Post by Allan »

I agree, it is a game changer (at least for me). It did take me longer to set up than I thought it might, still not sure why, it is so simple. But I can now use my iPhone to show You Tube videos and Netflix shows on my large screen TV. Quite amazing what is available on You Tube, I like watching science videos and old music concerts from the 60's.

Allan
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

Allan wrote:
I agree, it is a game changer (at least for me). It did take me longer to set up than I thought it might, still not sure why, it is so simple. But I can now use my iPhone to show You Tube videos and Netflix shows on my large screen TV. Quite amazing what is available on You Tube, I like watching science videos and old music concerts from the 60's.

Allan
I just received notification that my chrome shipped. The tracking # says the label was created but not received into their distribution facility yet.
ejvyas

Post by ejvyas »

FoolStreet wrote:I just received notification that my chrome shipped.
:shock:
FoolStreet

Post by FoolStreet »

ejvyas wrote:
FoolStreet wrote:I just received notification that my chrome shipped.
:shock:

Maybe they are shipping the cast separately? Ha