A/V Receiver for TV - which one?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gort

A/V Receiver for TV - which one?

Post by Gort »

Friends,
I want to get a simple A/V receiver for my television. In addition to the TV, I want to hook up a cable TV box, Apple TV box, and a DVD player to the receiver and be able to control which device provides the signal to the TV from the receiver. Currently, I'm swapping the HDMI cables out of each device depending on which one I want to use - what a hassle!! I won't be attaching speakers to the A/V receiver as I use a sound bar directly attached to the TV audio output with a wireless subwoofer. Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Gort
avalpert

Re: A/V Receiver for TV - which one?

Post by avalpert »

You might be better off with an HDMI splitter - it will cost a lot less. Something like http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... cale=en_US
Kalo

Post by Kalo »

Yeah I helped my neighbor hook one up recently (not HDMI but the old kind for tube TV). Got it at best buy for $30ish I seem to recall. Had four channels. You just push a button for the channel you want (one for her Roku and another for her DVD). Was a piece of cake, even for a dumb guy like me. Color coded cables FTW.

Kalo
"When people say they have a high risk tolerance, what they really mean is that they are willing to make a lot of money." -- Ben Stein/Phil DeMuth - The Little Book of Bullet Proof Investing.
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Like the others said, you should get an HDMI switch instead of a receiver. Monoprice is a good place to buy things like this:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/subde ... 10#1011002
snowx800

Post by snowx800 »

Sony Yamaha Any of them have their lower line make sure it has 4 to 6 HDMI inputs and you can get those as little as $200-300 hundred dollars. It just makes life so much easier running that way,my wife loves to run our system and the kids use it one touch everything goes to that signal.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

Gort wrote:Friends,
I want to hook up a cable TV box, Apple TV box, and a DVD player to the receiver and be able to control which device provides the signal to the TV from the receiver. Currently, I'm swapping the HDMI cables out of each device depending on which one I want to use - what a hassle!! I won't be attaching speakers to the A/V receiver as I use a sound bar directly attached to the TV audio output with a wireless subwoofer.
Assuming your TV has 2 HDMI, and a composite or component input, you may be able to make everything plug in by using an alternate TV input for one of the devices. Apple TV is HDMI only. Cable box and DVD player may have component video output. Use a component video cable to connect the DVD or cable box and you're set. Component video cables support HD.

Add another device and you'd probably need to use an HDMI splitter or AV receiver.

We use a Pioneer home theater receiver to connect our components and all the speakers. This works great for us because we want a home theater system. Our universal remote provided by our cable provider can control our receiver so we can easily change input.

If you don't want to connect speakers to the receiver, you shouldn't use a receiver - an HDMI switch would be better assuming you can make a universal remote control the HDMI switch. You don't want to have a dedicated remote for the HDMI switch.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Tue Jul 23, 2013 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Wiki
Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke »

I vote for an inexpensive receiver, some real speakers and a Harmony remote to control it all.

If you really don't care about audio quality, then get the HDMI switcher (with remote) from Monoprice.

I would look into the Harmony remote regardless of what you do.
Monk53

Post by Monk53 »

Agree with Luke Duke. Get a receiver. One day you might want to listen to better sound, especially real stereo music. Music listening is something we have gone backward on. Real stereo listening is disappearing. Sound bars are OK, but separate speakers sound better.
Sam I Am

Post by Sam I Am »

Message deleted.