Fitness Wristbands??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
snyder66

Fitness Wristbands??

Post by snyder66 »

This is in regards to Nike ID and Jawbone type fitness wristbands. I have heard some buzz on these products, thought they would be a neat idea. Anyone ever used them?
gkaplan

Re: Fitness Wristbands??

Post by gkaplan »

Sounds like a scam.
Gordon
Kriegsspiel

Post by Kriegsspiel »

No, they don't "work." At least, not since I last looked into it, does anyone know of any groundbreaking research into wearing wristbands?!

I wear a wrist band with a very personal reminder on it for motivation.
Topic Author
snyder66

Post by snyder66 »

None of the brands seems to work perfectly. It would be nice to know how much you are moving during the day...
traineeinvestor

Post by traineeinvestor »

My wife has the Jawbone Up. It doesn't work - not even close.
python99

Post by python99 »

FitBit is the real deal...my and I both wear the FitBit band and it is awesome. Power last about 7-8 days then needs to be charged ( 1 hr)..You can also swim with it..shower with it,,,etc..tracks steps, milage, sleep, calories...etc...

I can't say enough about it.

Check it out
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Fitness devices have a role to play in helping you lose weight or become more active, but are certanly not rewquired. There are many devices out there with more to come. For multiple discussions of the topic, go over to myfitnesspal.com and look on the boards. These devices are discussed on there quite frequenty. Many people find that if they look at their total steps they realize they have been a couch potato all day and get up to try to get their numbers up.
I started out with the fitbit. This is basically a fancy pedometer, tells you how many steps you have walked in a day. It can also be worn at night to monitor your sleep. It will sync up with the aformentioned myfitnesspal website to help give you you total calorie expenditure for the day to help you decide how many calories to consume.
Overall I liked the product. I am using a bodymedia Fit device now and like it a little better, but it does cost about 7 dollars a month where the fitbit is free of monthly charges.
Mike
Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog »

JambokLive wrote:FitBit is the real deal...my and I both wear the FitBit band and it is awesome. Power last about 7-8 days then needs to be charged ( 1 hr)..You can also swim with it..shower with it,,,etc..tracks steps, milage, sleep, calories...etc...

I can't say enough about it.

Check it out
Absolutely, Fitbit works for me. It is clipped to my belt 24/7. It keeps track automatically to my computer as I get close to it covering daily steps taken, daily and lifetime mileage, daily stairs climbed, calories burned, sleep (I don't use that sleep part, though), etc. Wonderful, practical, and inexpensive for the value that it gives.
Unless you try to do something beyond what you have already mastered you will never grow. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Barefootgirl

Post by Barefootgirl »

Interesting piece in the NY Times this past Sunday on these devices as related to loss of personal privacy. Good read - recommend it.

BFG
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.
CherylHall

Post by CherylHall »

I have the fitbot wristband and LOVE it. Super helpful and I have the app tied to MyFitness Pal as well for the connection to diet.
ataloss

Post by ataloss »

I am using the fitbit flex. it works fine but I agree it isn't a necessity. Wife has a fitbit one so we compete a little.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

If you want to be fit, get up and move. If not, watch TV or stay on the computer all day.

A wristband won't help or hurt you. Motivation rules the day - whatever that may be.

Spending money to get fit is hocus pocus.
RooseveltG

Post by RooseveltG »

I received a Fitbit Flex as a gift. My only real complaint is that each arm movement counts as a step. As an example, I was on a long drive and noticed that I had walked 300 steps while sitting in my car!

It does motivate me to walk more but is only a rough estimate of actual activity.

Roosevelt.
matjen

Post by matjen »

I have the most recent FitBit and it is an interesting product. Nothing really groundbreaking or different from an steps counting perspective BUT it does have really nice software which presents the info nicely and most importantly has a social media aspect to it. Meaning you can connect with all your friends who also have the device and track each other's progress. This ends up being a bit of a competition which I suppose is a good thing to get you to take those extra steps. I was actually surprised that it doesn't have a rough heart rate tracking capability. I just assumed that was the case and was mistaken. So I can do an intense weight work out for 30 minutes and it shows I just too 20 steps and that is it. No different from walking to the refrigerator.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.